BUICK TRUCKS

Guest imported_MrEarl

• 3 weeks later...

Mr.Earl, the 1913 truck listed on ebay, I have seen this truck in person. It is a fine example of a Buick truck. I seen this truck when I went to see the 15 that he also had for sale. If It had not been for the gentle prodding of the Misses the 15 would have been at home in MI.. The 13 pictured though was totally restored by the gentlemen with an eye to perfection. I believe I asked what it would take to render it from his grasp. The reply was " In the 30's" which I didn't have. Should have bought the 15 though. Still kicking myself over that.

• 1 month later...

This has not been around in a while but I thought this truck was worthy of bringing it back again. I already have a discussion about it on the BCA Prewar Forum.

elbert_fuller553.jpg

The Driver is Elbert Fuller. My grandfather bought the Fuller Farm in 1951 and had it until the mid 1970's.

My uncle said there was an old Buick Radiator in a storage space above the Milk House. I bet it was from this truck. Elbert lived next to the farm after it was sold and often visited and would ride up to see us with my grandfather at our farm in up state New York.

It sure would be nice to know what year the Truck is.

The Fuller Dairy was located in Trumbull, Connecticut on Fuller road. Dave!

• 7 months later...
Guest imported_Thriller

That truck looks like one that was in Flint...I believe that photo may be from the GM parade with the descriptor on the back...I know I have a photo or two of it.

BuickTruck224.jpg

Another one from the parade - a 1923 Buick Cantrell Depot

1923BuickCantrell226.jpg

From the National, a 1940 Buick Experimental truck.

1940Xtruck2.jpg

1940Xtruck3.jpg

Hey, that's the back fender of The Chartreuse Lady (My 1915 Buick) in the lower corner of that truck photo! wink.gif

Why, but of course Chartreuse met Larry and his 1915 C4 truck. But I must admit, Even though she is mine, she can be a bit of a snob from time to time. Expecially while being followed by a farmer in an old farm truck. wink.gif I made her behave though and be polite as Larry is a real nice fellow and I happen to like his truck. smile.gif

Yes , that is the same truck. laugh.gif Dandy Dave!

I asked the owner of that 40 Roadmaster truck "How does a person come to possess an experimental vehicle like that"? He said the engineers designing it at the time had a chance to sign it out for a week or so at a time. One engineer signed it out and never gave it back. He said there were 4 of them made but he does not know what happened to the others. Too bad it never made it to production. It's a very nice looking truck.

The 40 truck was parked outside a barn about 3 miles from where I lived back in 1966. The owner put it in a quanset hut across the road from his farm, and kids went in with ball bats, and beat the fenders and dash to pieces. I passed on the chance to buy it for $100 and am glad to see that it has been restored. It is really a part of Buick history as the used it for a parts hauler.

• 6 months later...

I just love this thread so much I had to take it up front again grin.gif

Found this post on Cardomain, and a link to a picturesite with more than 100 pictures, from a San Diego swapmeet held Friday February 27.

Amongst the pictures was this neat old Buick truck I thought you might like to see.

2009_big_3_swap_meet_088.JPG

To me that looks like it was done many moons ago.

Here is the rest of the pictures : http://www.bangshift.com/gallery/2009-Big-3-Swap-Meet-San-Diego-gallery.html

Yes, it is my truck. It started life as a 1928 model 51 Brougham sedan. I have registration slips from 1952. It was a truck at that time.

I had some interesting comments on it like - Does it run, How did you get it here, and Did you get all that stuff (parts for sale) in it. The comment that I enjoyed the most was "What a neat truck".

It ran great for the week before the swap meet and on the way to San Diego. It took 3 hours from Bellflower (Long Beach) with one stop for gas, one potty stop and a repair on the lock ring on the rear wheel. Check the missing piece in the picture. The lock ring came loose and broke. It was not quite an E ticket ride to see the piece slide past me on the freeway.

I drove 45 to 50 mph all the way except at the 805/5 interchange. Then I got it up to 55 mph to keep up with all the crazy people. It ran 160 to 170 degrees all the way at 5 to 8 a.m.in the morning.

BUT on the way home, I had vacuum tank problems right out of the stadium and all the way home. It took 5 hours to get home. I had to fill the vacuum tank one and it would buck and back fire when the lower tank ran out of gas and there was a delay while the gas ran from the upper tank to the lower tank. The 5 hours also included the potty stop and a stop for a hamburger. I drove the last 50 miles with the choke out.

The lettering on the door is from the HBO movie Thirteenth Floor, a sort of si fi movie. This was the antique dealers truck. It shows up standing by the antique store and driving down the street at night. It has been in a few movies but usually does not show up. It shows in Flags of Our Fathers where Ira Hayes is released from the police station.

http//www.imcdb.org/vehicle_85979-Buick-Master-51-1928.html.

Fred

Why are these beauties always clear across the country from here? cry.gif WWWWAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaa... WWWWAAAaaaaa..... If that was only a little closer, I do believe I would be talkin turkey. wink.gif Dandy Dave!

Guest imported_Thriller

It is kind of tempting, isn't it Dave? That's the sort of custom I could actually see myself in.

• 1 month later...

Delivery6.jpg

Delivery2.jpg

For sale in The Netherlands last year:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For sale: Buick Grocery Getter.

1928 Buick Tourer Grocery Getter.

Wooden wheels, 6 cylinder, 3 speed transmission.

Converted in the USA in the 40's into a delivery/working truck.

The base is a sedan. </div></div>

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sold this weekend on proxibid

1913 Buick Model 4; Open Express Delivery truck; flawlessly finished in Dk Green and black with a black leather seat. The truck is powered by a 141 ci; 4 cylinder enginer with a 3-speed manual transmission. This rare brass era truck was fully restored in 2002 and won 1st place in the commercial class at the Glenmoor Gathering of Significant Autos Conours in 2004. It has been driven very little and the restoration remains fresh. It has phnumatic tires; shaft drive and correct brass lamps. Buick built a truck only a few years. This is one of only 677 made in 1913. The factory finished all wood body is the standard factory body on a special heavy duty truck chassis. Copies of the owner's and operator's manual and the sales brochure come with the truck. The truck ia crank start only.

Lot 627, sold for $28,000

BUI809109-1.JPG

More pictures at the Proxibid: Live Webcast Auctions by Real Auctioneers, Auctions Online, Real-time Bidding – Proxibid auction website. Do a search for Buick truck. When 0 results are displayed, you can then tell it to search 2009 completed auctions.

Sold this weekend on proxibid

Lot 627, sold for $28,000

BUI809109-1.JPG

More pictures at the Proxibid: Live Webcast Auctions by Real Auctioneers, Auctions Online, Real-time Bidding – Proxibid auction website. Do a search for Buick truck. When 0 results are displayed, you can then tell it to search 2009 completed auctions.

Glad to see that It sold, now I can lement that it got away from me again! I believe they were hoping to get between $35K and $45K

Neat truck, leonbee. I would really enjoy seeing more and hearing how the conversion came about.

Ben

Somewhere I have a note from the people who owned it in the 60s. They were from Iowa, and said car was made by the Buick dealer in Mason City back in the mid 50s for a fishing car. It is two wrecks put together, windshield forward is 53- windshield back is 51.

In the late hippy days, it sat outside Shorty's cafe in Lawrence, Kansas. Had a big plastic bull in back and sideboards said "Open 24 Hours, We Never Close Shorty Lost the Keys!"

I would hitch into town, go in and say, "Shorty what'll you take for that Buick?" He'd say," Aw, I'll never sell that son of a b*tch." Next year, and the year after, same thing: "Never sell that son of a b*tch."

Then in 74 he said, "Aw, I junked that son of a b*tch!" I went out to Glen's Auto Salvage and spent my entire life's savings, $82.50, and drove her home.

• 1 month later...

In the September/October 2009 issue of Car Collector appears a wonderful article on the 42 Buick made into a truck by Edward Ragsdale for his daughter Mimi. This vehicle is referenced in this post by Brian Laurance in 2005. It is as noted owned by Paul and Mary Ann Meyer. The article appears on pages 56-62, and it was written by noted writer Bud Juneau. The photography is stunning! The article is entitled "A Buick For Mimi". Charles D. Barnette-the pictures show a reunion of Mimi with Mimi.

Edited by Charles_Barnette (see edit history)

• 2 months later...