BUICK TRUCKS

Guest imported_MrEarl

Back in March, 2009, Rob,75 RivGS, posted the following pics. He later posted the craigs list posting they were from.

Does ANYONE have the name , address, phone number of the salvage yard posting this? I sure would like to know the outcome of that ad.

All help appreciated.

Thanks

Ben

Still looking!!!

Ben

post-59466-143138556931_thumb.jpg

post-59466-143138556933_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest frazer51

I found this thread interesting because of my home made Buick pickup. I was given the remains of a 1918 Buick parts car in exchange for some work that I did to a fellows 1915 Buick. What I had done was to take the ring and pinion gears from this 1918 and make them work in his 1915.

Well this 1918 Buick when I got it had no body, fenders, the motor was stuck and the rear axle gears were gone. Being 75 years old at the time and looking for a challange I decided to see what i could do with these remains short of sending them to the scrap yard.

I was able to dismantle the stuck motor which didn't really look to be in to bad of a condition. I carefully removed all the piston rings which were stuck , really stuck. This alone took about a week being that i was careful not to break any rings. After I cleaned the pistons I put the rings all back on and this was looking fine. The only item missing on the engine when I got it was the distributer cap. My son-in-law said that he could probably find me a cap for about $100.00. I told him that being on S/S $100.00 was my whole budget for this project. I was able to take a cap from a 1953 Chevy 6 cyl. and do some machine work and got it to fit and it worked just fine.

I had an extra 1959 Ford rear axle with about a 3:78-1 gears which I made adapters for to install on to the Buick. I also had to create adapters for the open drive shaft. I even made a setup so that I could install the wooden spoke wheels to the Ford brake drums. I won't get into how I made my own wooden spokes from hickory to replace all the rotted ones. I should mention that with the Ford axle I was able to install hydraulic brakes on the pickup, 2 wheel.

In my woodshop I had a lot of walnut wood so that is what was use in constructing my pickup. My wife made the red leather upholstery for the "homemade" seat frame.

There was a great deal more work that went into this project then i have time to mention, and that was the fun part. We really enjoy this Buick, going to shows , parades and just cruising. One regret, I should have taken the time to design it with a top, oh well maybe next time.

Well this is my story of my saving an old car from going to the scrap yard, hope you enjoy.

• 1 month later...

There was a 1918 at auction in Denver two weeks ago, but enough information pointed at it being a car converted to a truck that I left it alone. Since there was a reserve on it, I decided that it wasn't worth it to pay the bidder's fee because I was quite certain it would be higher than I wanted to pay for a conversion. If there had been more time to either get someone to inspect it or get additional photos from the auctioneer, things may have changed.

• 2 months later...
Guest Fireboy119

I own a 1929 Buick/Laverne fire truck that I am told began its life protecting a state hospital in North Dakota. I am thrilled to see there are other Buick trucks out there.

GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=0&messageId=e3286cfc-fea4-11e0-aca6-001f29de03c8&Aux=14|0|8CE60C8CD926DF0||0|0|0|0||&maxwidth=220&maxheight=160&size=Att

GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=0&messageId=79c8ef8e-feaa-11e0-b294-001e0bcba7b0&Aux=14|0|8CE60CE63094520||0|0|0|0||&maxwidth=220&maxheight=160&size=Att

GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=0&messageId=a50aac92-feaa-11e0-a870-001e0bcbb1f4&Aux=14|0|8CE60CE8EDB12F0||0|0|0|0||&maxwidth=220&maxheight=160&size=Att

GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=0&messageId=c85bec02-feaa-11e0-ab2f-001e0bccdda8&Aux=14|0|8CE60CEB39710D0||0|0|0|0||&maxwidth=220&maxheight=160&size=Att

Guest Rob McDonald

Wow, I had no idea that Buick was so heavily into trucks at one point. I'm guessing this catalogue would be from about 1910? That Special Old English Motor Bus looks either cosy or claustrophobic. Those panel vans are quite handsome.

I wonder what were the advantages of open chain drive for heavy hauling. Buick cars never used this, did they? Thanks for sharing.

First Born-- What if any is the news on the Buick truck conversion that you are chasing? Have there been any replies even as to the location of where the pictures were taken ? It looks to be a pretty good job of grafting several different years of body parts together. It would indeed be a shame to see all this work go to nothing. Frankly I'm surprised that as many people as read and post here that no one has spoke up yet. Mark

Ben- This Buick truck(?) really interests me. Where did the pictures come from that are in the post ? I'd like to add my voice to help track down this car/truck. Someone out there has to have some knowledge on this vehicle and it's whereabouts, if it still exists. I'm with you I'd hate to think it's been crushed and is now someones Toyota. Mark

Here's my truck and latest project. It's a 1934 sedan that was cut down into a farm ute ( that's what we Aussies call a pick-up )

Last used back in 1964, sat ever since. Not worthy of an original restoration I'm going to modify it run modern drive train yet still retain most of the authentic look externally.

The back of the sedan has been chopped off at 90 degrees and looks horrible so I'm going to graft on a rear cab section off a Chev truck to give it more rounded appearance and build a nice tray.

Rooster, any progress on this project??

Ben

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Guest Oldcartech

at one time on a list I have, there were at least 25 or more Buick Truck owners in the US. I think I still have the list.