How To Value, and Where to Sell?!

Guest crazyrunninghorse

Guest crazyrunninghorse

Probably a simple subject for most..... Simple for me if we are talking abut junk cars! I operate a company that handles car donations for multiple different charities (this is not a thread to discuss car donations, so please start a new thread and if interested in discussing and I will chime in.) We had two absolutely sunning antiques donated through us, and I want to make sure to handle the resale of these vehicles in the most appropriate manner for both the Charities they were donated to and the donors that will be receiving the the tax deduction.  

Before i get into detail about the cars and my ideas for resale, let me tell you about me. I am in the business because I am an absolute fanatic about cars. I went to college for Automotive Marketing, I have fully built cars, including complete paint jobs, body work, engine builds, suspension setups, etc. I have been in the auction industry for 10 years (again, not what this thread is about) and am an expert at vehicle remarketing.... however, these beauties are out of my league.  So I was hoping to lean on the community of my fellow gear heads for ideas and suggestions. 

I had an excellent transporter move these to an auction in Sacramento where i have connections so, they are stored indoors and out of the way for now. I can house them for a few months for free before someone gets annoyed of my freeloading. This is my plan, but very open to suggestions; 

Valuation: for tax purposes we need a valuation anyways. I was looking at this as a source of appraisers, but don't know which to choose http://www.antiquecar.com/resources/appraisals.php How accurate are these valuations to their private party values though? Are they mostly a valuation for insurance coverage and bragging rights? Would prefer a valuation that we use in marketing so credibility is important. (also feel free to put your best guess on the values of these cars!)

Marketing: The auction I have housing the cars will do a nationwide marketing push and videos of the cars, this is one of the largest auction chains in the US, so they have a very nice reach but they specialize in damaged vehicles. Vehicles can be listed for sale on speicatly sites like this, craigslist "bitting my lip," and Ebay. I am aware of the Barrett-Jacksons and Mecums of the world (acutally got my start in auctions working at Barret-Jackson while in college.) However, their locations are limited as well as their frequency. One of the veterans charities receiving the donation hosts classic car shows that are fairly large, so I will lean on them for some marketing their existing donor and volunteer base.

Sale: With the above mentioned options, I am leaning toward running them at auction to see their first high bids, then ebaying them with a reserve slightly higher. 

Thoughts?! Help?!

Thanks! - CRH 

1. 1934 Model A Coupe, upgraded hydraulic brakes
  2. 1930 Chevrolet 4 door Sedan - no upgrades
  3. Rebuilt Model A 4cyl engine

***Please keep to the subject of valuation and sale of these fine automobiles. 

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image5.jpeg

image6.jpeg

image7.jpeg

image8.jpeg

image10.jpeg

As has been noted, the Model A Ford is not a 1934. It could be a 1930 or a 1931, so you need to check the Title to be sure. 

The Model A also appears to have an overdrive in additon to the hydraulic brake conversion. For those particular cars in the condition that they appear to be in, I would suggest that the best way to get top dollar is to simply take lots of quality photos, write a good detailed description about condition, history if available, and the modifications that have been made, and put them on Ebay. That is the best way to get the exposure for the least cost. A high end auction firm is unlikely to get any more money for those particular types of cars than you will get on Ebay. Ebay should have lower fees than a traditional auction house. If you do list them on Ebay or elsewhere, be sure to post a link in the Buy and Sell forum here and you may attract a few more bidders who are here more often than they are otherwise on Ebay.

25 minutes ago, Restorer32 said:

Under $10k each even on a good day. Can't be a 1934 Model A. There is no such animal. 1931 Model A Standard.

Looks to be a 1930 Model A by the look of the radiator shell.

The Chevy is worth 6k on a good day.  The Model A maybe 6-8k or a bit more.  Depends on actual condition.  They feel more like CL cars than eBay.  CL is local. Not sure these are going to garner the interest that a 1500 shipping charge requires with eBay's broader market.

Mr. Running Horse, there are several price guides which you can use,

so you shouldn't have to hire an appraiser, nor take our word for the value:

---The pricing on-line at www.hagerty.com.  Hagerty is a reputable insurer of antique cars.

---The collector-car pricing on-line at www.nada.com.  They tend to be on the high end.  NADA values regular used cars but also has values for antiques.

---The magazine Old Cars Report Price Guide, issued every 2 months on newsstands and also available by subscription.

They also have an annual book, entitled "2016 Collector Car Price Guide":  

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=2016+collector+car+price+guide

You'll have to assess the condition of the cars.  Very few cars are #1 condition, which is a perfect

car that is trailered to shows and is capable of winning a national first-prize award.

It's hard to tell from pictures, but if your cars are in excellent working and running order, perhaps

your Ford is a #3 condition car and your Chevrolet is a #2.  (The scale goes from #1 to #6, and #6

is a car so worn and weathered that it is useful only for parts.)

My copy of the book lists $10,910 for the Chevrolet in #3 condition, and $16,980 in #2 condition.

If it is a "special sedan" (What is that?), it's $11,810 and $18,380.

Of course the price can't really be determined with such precise accuracy, but it gives you a good idea.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

All good suggestions, but you really need to be realistic with both the cars. Both have issues such as wrong color and missing  items. Also the market for both cars has taken a pretty big hit. I am a member of the Model A Ford Club and have seen some pretty nice examples of similar, but correct cars go for about 12K. If you are happy with an offer take it.

Guest crazyrunninghorse

Wow. I really appreciate the quality responses on here. I am impressed with your community. I haven't gotten my hands on the title for the Ford just yet, so I am sure I was wrong with they year. Thanks for the correction!  Any thoughts on the accompanying 4cyl Model A engine that is on a crate (no pics yet?) Package together with the Ford, or sell separate on eBay? 

Thanks again! 

The A would be more saleable because there are a lot more people interested in actually wanting to drive Model A's, and if it really has OD and hydraulics, someone might offer a bit higher price than a stock one, even though this A has a non-authentic paint scheme.  I would be "OK" with a close friend paying up to 12k if the A is a decent roadable car, if he asked my own opinion.  (in my local area only)

The Chevy seems much more authentic in "visual" appearance, but the market for that car would be very iffy. I would be OK if the friend bought the Chevy locally for 10k,  IF it was a very decent roadable car.

I'm not saying what the average selling price might end up at in "anytown USA".  I am just giving my opinion on what I would advise a friend who simply can't restore a car, but just wants to own a lower priced vintage car.

The most intelligent phrase I've heard on vintage car values, was by a now deceased pioneer in vintage auction formats;  "no one knows the true value of any car, on a given day, until money changes hands"  

One thing that seems to be overlooked when trying to value an inexpensive vintage car, is how much enjoyment could you get for very small money?  A friend across town from me "paid way too much" ($10.5k) for a barn survivor unrestored, but drivable Model A 2dr sedan.  He drives that car every time he can, to the store, and on forest dirt roads, through shallow brooks, etc.  He already got his money out of that beater, even if he gives it away when he gets too old to drive.  Money could not buy that car away from him right now.

An extra Model A engine's value varies a lot with condition. Photos of the engine will give a better idea but unless it is a freshly restored engine from a known quality rebuilder ready to drop into a car it is probably not worth very much. There were a lot of Model A Fords produced and there are lots of extra Model A engines that have survived. 

I have two mostly complete Model A engines in my garage right now. I gave up on selling them and I have made a deal with a local Model A owning friend to give them to him. I will be happy when I can get him to finally take the time to come over here and load them up and take them away to free up the garage space.

restorer 32 is spot on with his pricing and ebay will get you your best bang for the buck. forget CL.........

ebay fees are around 125. per car and will get you very close to actual market value at this date and time. best 2 times of year are now, for the spring and fall. mid summer can be a dead season and winter is,

well winter. auction houses take too much in fees for very avg cars such as these and also much effort. they are in nice shape, but not big money cars.

A well rebuilt model A engine should fetch around $2000. Some disassembly or receipts may be necessary for verification. The added overdrive is worth at least $1000. Both cars look well restored and kept. The non original, but nice paint and upholstery on the A is only a detriment to someone caring about absolute originality. The west coast prices are a bit higher than other parts of the country. I would be asking the high side of any appraisal as you can always negotiate lower if need be. I think Ebay is a good sale platform but you are an expert and will choose what you deem best. Good luck. If I had garage space I wouldn't be turned off at $10,000 on the A and 7,900 on the Chevy if they presented as well as in the photos.

Edited by JFranklin (see edit history)

I would think 10-12000 on the model A would be a very realistic value.  When a rusty shell brings 2500.00 a barn fresh beyond patina brings near 7500.  A very clean looking and possibly quite roadable car should be a fairly easy sell at that range.  

Loation of course matters,  but if it were in the North East I think you would have no problem selling it unless there are a lot of hidden issues.  

If the guy did infact go to the trouble of installing an OD I'm pretty sure much more was spent on other mechancial stuff that often gets overlooked on a cosmetic restoration.   A good selling feature to anyone who has dealt with one of the old tired cars with fresh paint and chrome but not a bit of attention to the mechanicals. 

Guest AlCapone

I first of all have a large collection of cars from this era! I will not give an estimate to be fair as I may be interested in both of them.

If you decide to sell private please send me a private message and I will provide my email address.

Good luck no matter what.   Wayne

It looked to me like the sales pitch was comment #1. You guys are supposed to be drooling and clambering to get those jewels. Anyone with a degree in automotive marketing would know how to set bait. When I saw the car cover stuffed into the crotch of the Chevy fender I thought: Uncover the cars completely if you photograph them. If my son was taking the pictures I'd tell him to leave the cover on the car to make us look inexperienced and somewhat inept at presenting to enhance our innocence. I was 12 years old when my Grandfather told me not to look too smart when selling a car. It builds the buyer's esteem.

Those are cars to be marketed to the uniformed buyer. Best thing to do is buy a contact list for doctors. My good friend, a cardiologist used to say "You can sell anything to a doctor they are a salesman's target." Bet you lunch one of them does go to a doctor... they may have been donated by one or his heirs.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Mr. Running Horse, if you look at Ebay, you can see the prices realized

for many antique cars.  However, don't try to judge value by others' ASKING prices.

Sometimes, asking prices are realistic;  but more often (especially from

classic-car dealers), they are well above the value, and sometimes even

DOUBLE what a car is worth!  But the market isn't the strongest, I'd say,

so asking prices need to be realistic.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Guest AlCapone
29 minutes ago, JFranklin said:

That Model A has a reserve and any bid up to the reserve means nothing. When the reserve is met the real bidding starts. It may well be friends bidding it up that know when to stop.  Wayne

Just Auction them, Take the money, And like a neighbor of mine use to say, "Run like thief." ;) When the Cash Register Ca-chings, you will know what they are worth. Dandy Dave! 

Guest AlCapone

Well Mr. Crazy, what did you decide? Did you sell, list or make a decision ! Feedback is always appreciated.     Wayne