Barrett Jackson Auction

Joe in Canada

Yes, yes, there were tons of less expensive cars available, and many sold.

They weren't/aren't on TV for a reason, TV programming is expensive, most folks don't want to see a lot of the run of the mill cars up for auction. 

I guess I and my friends aren't "most people".

We'd LOVE to see cars that the average person actually has a chance to buy instead of the run-of-mill $100K+ cars that go from one millionaire collector to the next.

Nothing wrong with wealthy people having fun with their money but MIX IT UP for crying out loud.......  :angry:

• Like 1

In the future I guess we can look forward to tribute resto-mods? I try to watch BJ and Mecum, I really do, but after a dozen or so Mustangs, Camaros, Chevelles and Corvettes in a row, most pretending to be something they are not, my eyes glaze over and I switch to reruns of Andy Griffith.

• Like 1

I guess I and my friends aren't "most people".

We'd LOVE to see cars that the average person actually has a chance to buy instead of the run-of-mill $100K+ cars that go from one millionaire collector to the next.

Nothing wrong with wealthy people having fun with their money but MIX IT UP for crying out loud.......  :angry:

You are not alone. With all the comments on this thread, Pontiac's Performance years forum, and friends emails, it's apparent the people running the shows don't have a finger on the pulse. What I think is we need to see cars we can RELATE to, more so than exotic's. Plus it would really be nice to see cars of the teens, 20's, 30's 40's 50's that are stock or survivors.

I would also like to see more of the above on THE APPRAISERS !   

In the future I guess we can look forward to tribute resto-mods? I try to watch BJ and Mecum, I really do, but after a dozen or so Mustangs, Camaros, Chevelles and Corvettes in a row, most pretending to be something they are not, my eyes glaze over and I switch to reruns of Andy Griffith.

I just had a flashback to drag racing in the early 1970's. Anyone remember when the 340 Duster's class came up? Concession stand, bathroom, buzz buzz buzz on the track. And the old guy stuck his finger right into my necktie and said "Sonny, nuthin' changes but the date..." 1963.

Bernie

Somehow all of the repeats indicate that Velocity is finding it difficult to fill its schedule. Found it easy to place articles in mags when hat was the only medium. Can see some on my web site. Quality video is a bit more difficult and takes a production crew. Formula seems to be 5 minutes of content, 35 minutes of repeats, 20 minutes of commercials for a viewing hour.

Did see what I thought some pretty good deals under $20k on Tuesday.

Still have not looked at the 5 hours on Saturday but generally x4 through most of it.

Bought most of my cars/trailers either from Craigslist or AutoTrader.

The truth is, Yes, the program/producers knows what they are doing, ratings are GOOD, so they will do what it takes to keep viewers tuned in.  When ratings fall, there will be, NO SHOW.  As long as ratings are good, don't expect changes.

Dale in Indy

Truth is by watching we are all supporting this type of TV show. Most of us will watch anything that has to do with cars. What the producers and the sponsors don't realize with the machines we have we delete or skip almost everything that passes before us. Like I said on a earlier post that on a one hour show of theirs I only see what interest me. That means I skip the commercials and the endless stream of Camaro, mustang, vette ( unless it's stock) or modified anything which leaves me with about ten minutes or less of viewing.

By the ratings they think they are doing great, but the above tells the real story. Someday the sponsors might get it when they realize they've been had.  

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

The big auction houses should take another look at the famous (infamous?) Lambrecht sale a couple years ago.

Folks didn't flock there in hoards seeking restored high dollar cars or mods.

15,000 people went with the notion there might be something there they could afford.........but we all know how THAT turned out........  :o

FIFTEEN THOUSAND is a pretty good indicator of where real world interests lie.......  ;)

You do realize that these auctions may actually PAY to be on TV as advertising for their auctions and associated products? Many programs are like that. Virtually all, if not ALL religious programming is actually paid advertising as was pro wrestling back a few years ago when it was more popular.

So?????  it's a BUSINESS, you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours.

Understand that big BOX stores have tons of items on their shelves that they don't own, they pay the supplier WHEN they are sold.  This allows the supplier/mfg. to put items out for sale that the BOX store might consider to risky.

Businesses make all kinds of deals, and will continue to do such, so BJ is no different.

Dale in Indy

Sell a car for $15000 and collect a $1500 commission or sell a $150000 car and collect a $15000 commission? Both take the same amount of time to sell. Personally I would like to see a steady stream of 30's and earlier cars cross the block with the occasional "new" car thrown in the mix but I doubt it will ever happen.

Take a ride down Used Car Row, Anytown, USA, Most of those cars are owned and floorplanned by the local auction houses

All those whimpering politicians who cried about the poor VW dealers buying those diesels that seem to have disappeared.... VW adjusted the dealer interest payment. And the Studebaker brothers ain't building wagons anymore.

The only thing you can be sure of is the shell. davenports-real-walnut-shells.jpg Bernie

What BJ  is selling, is WHAT sellers have to sell.  Many more later models are being sold, because that's what sellers are offering, there are a lot more of those than original 30's cars.

Sellers dictate what goes across the block, for the most part.  BJ isn't going to push less expensive pieces, the profit for BJ just isn't there, PROFIT isn't a dirty word.

Dale in Indy

Some of the cars that cross the block are actually owned by the auction house. Friend bought a Full Classic that crossed the block with no real bids. A few days later he bought it from the auction house for a bit less than the last fake bid. Of course profit isn't a dirty word but as my Daddy used to say "things are seldom as they seem".

I missed the weekend coverage of Barrett Jackson, what were the top ten vehicles that sold? If you plan to be in LA in the near future plan on a good half day tour of the fully renovated Petersen Collection. Sure was nice to see two cars in the Salon that I worked on back in the 1980's. Bob

I have been going to the auctions regularly for forty-five years. In my experience I have to say that every year people get dumber on a somewhat linear path. No big jumps in the amount of stupid just a constant increase of stupid. I was at one in Michigan a few years ago where they started with motorcycles. There were a pair of Elgi Vincents covered in dirt leaning against each other and a few ordinary other brands. Three guys way over bid on the ordinary stuff just to outdo each other and I got the Vincents for pennies.

Some of the cars that cross the block are actually owned by the auction house. Friend bought a Full Classic that crossed the block with no real bids. A few days later he bought it from the auction house for a bit less than the last fake bid. Of course profit isn't a dirty word but as my Daddy used to say "things are seldom as they seem".

Actually, that's probably a case where there's a "tail" on the auction company's contract. They have a bunch of time and money invested in the marketing of the car, they will usually specify that they have the exclusive right to sell the car for some period of time following the auction (usually 90 days). They don't own it, but they still have it on consignment even after the auction has ended, just to make sure they aren't squandering their resources.

Barrett-Jackson also has a consignment showroom where I'm sure a bunch of unsold stuff ends up.

In the case I mentioned the car was owned by the owner of the auction house according to the title. I understand about the "tail", somewhat like realtors having a claim for commission on a house that sells to a particular buyer after their contract expires but which they originally showed to the buyer.

Buyers make mistakes, that has been the case in the past, and will be in the future.

If the auction house OWNS the car/truck, what's wrong with that?  They are flipping just like many others do.

BJ and other auction owners buy cars for many reasons, some for their personal collection, and then maybe it doesn't fit their needs, or they find one like it, but BETTER, so upgrade.  Also maybe they have a customer that is looking for a certain car, and they gamble that they can sell to him/her and make a buck.

It's a business,

Dale in Indy

What BJ  is selling, is WHAT sellers have to sell.  Many more later models are being sold, because that's what sellers are offering, there are a lot more of those than original 30's cars.

Sellers dictate what goes across the block, for the most part.  BJ isn't going to push less expensive pieces, the profit for BJ just isn't there, PROFIT isn't a dirty word.

Dale in Indy

I laugh when I hear guys on the Pontiac forum say there was a Bonneville or a Chieftain just ready to go on the block and they cut to a commercial, B/J comes back after the commercial and the cars they wanted to see are gone and there sits another CAMARO. I have seen this with Cadillac, Buick, Mercury, etc.etc.!.

Exactly that happened with a car we worked on for last month's Mecum auction (customer car, we don't buy or sell). '59 Cadillac Eldo Conv. I sat thru an hour of resto-mods waiting for lot F126 to cross the block. Cut to commercial just as F125 was hammered sold. Come back to just see a tail fin of the Caddy being pushed off stage. Back to more resto-nods and "tribute" cars.

Guest Cajun Ty

Exactly that happened with a car we worked on for last month's Mecum auction (customer car, we don't buy or sell). '59 Cadillac Eldo Conv. I sat thru an hour of resto-mods waiting for lot F126 to cross the block. Cut to commercial just as F125 was hammered sold. Come back to just see a tail fin of the Caddy being pushed off stage. Back to more resto-nods and "tribute" cars.

Any pics of that caddy? I bet she was a beauty

Guest Cajun Ty

It was pretty. Persian sand. Not really a restoration. We just did some detail work, installed new carpets, etc. We finished our work on a Tuesday in PA and the car was sold Friday in Florida. Google Mecum Kissimee 2016 for pics. Lot F126..

Sweet I'll check it out thanks

I got a chuckle out of all the over $100k Pontiacs on Saturday including $400k for a '77 S&B Trans Am with automagic. Not used in the movie, a promo car. Guess it was Burt in the seat with someone who didn't look anything like Sally driving. Maybe for someone well lubricated in the Sky Box...

5 hours of TV in under an hour RT...

The real problem these hyped auctions leave for younger, inexperienced viewers is not only an unrealistic view of collector car valuations but also that if one can't afford one of a selected group of highly sought, potentially high value, greatly popular collector cars, there is no point in acquiring something more ordinary and affordable to preserve and enjoy.   Suggesting to a young person that because a highly desired whatever is well out of financial reach that they should turn their attention to one of the many available four door models of the era is likely to elicit a shrug.  The shame of that is the experience of collector car learning and enjoyment is missed, perhaps even the car is lost without a next conservator to prevent that.

I doubt the young hobbyists are going through much angst over the price of auction cars. I remember carrying that new $12 6V battery home from Western Auto from town. And only 2 years before I had been financially strapped by a 50 cent a week allowance. I had a car, a job, and only had to wait 4 years to drive.

Most of us are too experienced to have the confidence of over estimating our skills and abilities. Maybe when the car show season opens I'll spend the whole summer traveling around the country teaching pragmatism to young car hobbyists. I wonder if I would have listened.

Bernie

That is one end of the spectrum. On the other there are a lot of decent two-door and even two-seaters around here that are rust-free and under $10K. With 6-speeds even. It is just a matter of knowing what to look for or having someone along who does.

The real problem these hyped auctions leave for younger, inexperienced viewers is not only an unrealistic view of collector car valuations but also that if one can't afford one of a selected group of highly sought, potentially high value, greatly popular collector cars, there is no point in acquiring something more ordinary and affordable to preserve and enjoy.   

I agree completely!  And I'll go farther:  It's not only the young

potential car fan who gets an unrealistic look at collector-car pricing.

It's EVERY potential car fan.

Time after time, when I show my cars to visitors,

they think the cars are worth lots of money and 

out of their price range.  And most of my cars

are very ordinary.   When I tell them that they

could buy an old car for $5000 to $15,000, they are

totally dumbfounded.  "I had no idea!" is what I hear all the time.

How many people don't join the hobby because they

see only expensive or over-priced cars being promoted?

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

How many people don't join the hobby because they

see only expensive or over-priced cars being promoted?

How many people want to spend prime time TV hours watching geezers buy a tired 1967 Chevy Biscayne sitting on three different kinds of tires and with a grungy 327 under the hood? About zero sounds right to me.

It isn't the TV station or auction company's job to promote parts of the hobby that don't make any money for them. If there was a thriving market to watch people buy and sell low-grade old cars on the cheap, we'd see such a show and auctions like that would take place all over the country. I know what my margin is on a $5000 beater and it wouldn't even buy a nice lunch at Appleby's. Why are we surprised that companies designed first and foremost to make money aren't interested in giving their services away to satisfy a tiny minority of the hobby who, for reasons I can't understand, seem to hate nice cars?

Prices on TV aren't scaring anyone away. If someone wants to be in the hobby, they see what they like, they look it up on the internet, and they quickly learn with the going rate for such a machine is. They also see alternatives and start building their knowledge. Nobody's sitting around saying, "Gee, I wish I had a hobby. I know! I'll get an old car. I like cars a lot!" [Clicks on Barrett-Jackson.] "Crap, looks like the only cars available are perfect, expensive cars out of my range. Guess I'll collect go stamps instead." Did you get into the hobby because it was cheap, or because you loved cars? The love always comes first and won't be denied by rational thoughts about prices, or it's not a hobby at all...

Come ON, guys, you know better. It ain't 1962 anymore, Model As aren't $25 from the old farmer up the road, and there are still plenty of affordable cars that people love but we don't need to see on TV. Go watch that idiotic show in Texas with the dipstick with the Kiss my Ash shirt, the old lady, and her fat son who fight over cars at the local low-rent auction. Those are cheap old cars and they show them fixing them up (Hey Larry! I need more bondo!), but I'd argue shows like that do a lot more damage to the hobby's image with young people than seeing nice cars sell to an eager crowd at an exciting auction.

Prices on TV aren't scaring anyone away. If someone wants to be in the hobby, they see what they like, they look it up on the internet, and they quickly learn with the going rate for such a machine is.  They also see alternatives and start building their knowledge....

Matt, I appreciate your insights;  but in this case I disagree.

I live in the heart of antique car country, and I see ALL THE TIME

that people outside the hobby, but those who are interested in cars,

don't realize how affordable antique cars can be.

Those with a latent interest may never get far enough to

research car values.  They have already seen the well-publicized

high prices and, disappointed, stop there.

This misapprehension of car values happens time after time.

When I've told them that a really nice Lincoln Mark V can be bought

for $5000-$10,000, a couple have even replied, "Really?  I ought to look

into it."  And a few more potential collectors have their hopes brightened. 

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Matt, I appreciate your insights;  but in this case I disagree.

I live in the heart of antique car country, and I see ALL THE TIME

that people outside the hobby, but those who are interested in cars,

don't realize how affordable antique cars can be.

Those with a latent interest may never get far enough to

research car values.  They have already seen the well-publicized

high prices and, disappointed, stop there.

This misapprehension of car values happens time after time.

When I've told them that a really nice Lincoln Mark V can be bought

for $5000-$10,000, a couple have even replied, "Really?  I ought to look

into it."  And a few more potential collectors have their hopes brightened. 

Being a good ambassador just like that is the very best thing any of us can do for the hobby. I, too, have had that conversation, but I'm not positive that there's a connection to what is seen on TV and the under-informed public. I think most folks just assume a "collector" car is an expensive car. Everyone thought we were rich when we had a Model A Ford sitting in the driveway when I was a kid.