Has anyone had attempted scams from WTB requests on forum

kreed

I have had a WTB request in the forum now for a couple of weeks for a '69 Riviera grill and was approached by personal messaging by some one identified as "Newbie " - no previous posts . He stated he had the item I was attempting to purchase and described it as excellent but couldn't/didn't send pictures when requested . The price of the item was $150 which included shipping from Hawaii! ( first suspicion) Stated he was bedridden recovering from spinal surgery and requested I send money immediately to his Hawaii address in the form of a "MoneyGram" which I guess you get at Walmart because his PayPal account was "dormant" . I requested he send me his ROA # since I could not find him listed in the directory and / or a ROA reference. In addition I was asked to mail the "MoneyGram " to his wife ( totally different name from his) . I am not publishing his name in case I am totally wrong here but his initials in my correspondence were JZ. Can't prove it was a scam attempt but nothing added up and I have not heard from him since I asked for more info so wanted to throw this out to the forum to beware - just because it is on the forum apparently is no protection . Kendall Reed ROA 14548

Well my initials are JZ but it sure wasn't me. That has scam ALL over it. I'd think the guy could come up with better excuses than that.

I've heard of a couple scams on the forum but they aren't very uncommon and get called out quickly. The good thing about dealing with active members on the forum is you can go back and look at all their posts and tell what kind of person they are. Of course if they have no posts then that's as risky as dealing with someone from craigslist via mail order. A big no-no.

kreed,

What was his user name? There is not a user with the user name of Newbie. That would be his user level, meaning he is a relatively new user with a small number of posts. If you give me his user name, I will be happy to ban the scammer.

kreed,

j1mm has sent you a new personal conversation entitled "WTB- 1969 Buick Riviera Grill".

j1mm said:

Let me know via email if you still need the 1969 Buick Riviera Grill.

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY DIRECTLY TO THIS EMAIL!
You can reply to this personal conversation by following the link below:

Edited by MCHinson
Deleted scammer contact information (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
Guest kenbenn

I have just had the same experience I posted a wanted add for a warner t83 input shaft, and within the hour I received a reply

from "MAX" ( maxtx2) claiming he had NOS shaft,$200 delivered.

I asked if he could send me a photo, and after a second request for photo and where he lived. he said they came back as undeliverable?? and that he was in Texas, and wanted to be paid by money gram as his PayPal was dormant. I asked if he had needle roller bearings for gearbox and

an oil pump for a Hupmobile W.

He replied he had, and the total was $400 delivered. Alarm bells started to ringing. I sent him an email stating I would not

transfer any funds until I had verified ID and photos of parts

Surprise I have not had a reply. I checked the AACA membership and he joined about 40 minutes after my add was posted!

I am not sure if I should state his Email address

Scammer "maxtx2" has been banned. His private messages have been deleted in case there were any more of them out there that had not yet been read and to help make sure nobody falls for his scam.

I have just had the same experience... . I checked the AACA membership and he joined about 40 minutes after my add was posted!

I don't know AACA's national by-laws, but 

just about every club has a means of "approving"

members.  And similarly we should be able to

expel someone, for cause, who is a scammer and who

joined merely to appear respectable.  You could call the

national AACA office at (717) 534-1910 and ask 

for Executive Director Steve Moskowitz.

Let us know what you find.  And persist if need be.

Who wants dishonest vendors in any club?

How many car guys who use this forum are actually AACA members?  As I read signatures, I can only think of a couple out of the hundreds that have posted.  Lots of guys belong to the BCA and the ROA but few show AACA membership numbers in their signatures.

How many car guys who use this forum are actually AACA members?  

But since the scammer evidently joined the AACA,

to appear legitimate on the AACA forum, we want to keep that club clean as well.

Mr. Kenbenn, call the AACA and bring it to the office's attention.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

I don't think he joined AACA. He simply registered on the AACA Forum, as do many people each day. Any who are identified as spammers or scammers are deleted and banned. If you see any post in violation of the forum rules, simply hit the report button and the moderators willl review the content and the user who posted it. We typically ban a few each week. Any online site is constantly under attack by these spammers and scammers. Typically they make their money when their spam links get clicked on. Don't click on their links and they don't get paid. Feel free to read the following non-spam link if you want to learn more about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forum_spam

• 3 years later...

There are several websites that allow you to find most of a persons personal contact info (telephone, residence and email addresses). Some of those sites are free to access where others require a fee to use.

If you list your full name or your telephone number online, I guarantee you some bad actor will pick it up and use it to start spamming you or offer you scam deals.

I am pretty sure I can find your phone number, email address and current residence location if your AACA.org profile has most of your name and the city/state you live in.

I recommend not using your full name and remove your exact location from all of your online profiles AND NEVER post your telephone number(s) online.

My two cents worth...

Edited by NC1968Riviera (see edit history)

1 hour ago, NC1968Riviera said:

There are several websites that allow you to find most of a persons personal contact info (telephone, residence and email addresses). Some of those sites are free to access where others require a fee to use.

If you list your full name or your telephone number online, I guarantee you some bad actor will pick it up and use it to start spamming you or offer you scam deals.

I am pretty sure I can find your phone number, email address and current residence location if your AACA.org profile has most of your name and the city/state you live in.

I recommend not using your full name and remove your exact location from all of your online profiles AND NEVER post your telephone number(s) online.

My two cents worth...

Every member of the ROA has this info on file on the ROA website where you can access the roster.  

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

Every member of the ROA has this info on file on the ROA website where you can access the roster.  

Ed, the ROA membership roster is behind the Members Only section of the site so that info is not accessible to the public and less vulnerable to hacking. (Unless the current site access info is posted in the wild somewhere).

Ray does a decent job of creating unique access info each month.

Edited by NC1968Riviera (see edit history)

On 9/14/2015 at 1:23 PM, kreed said:

I have had a WTB request in the forum now for a couple of weeks for a '69 Riviera grill and was approached by personal messaging by some one identified as "Newbie " - no previous posts . He stated he had the item I was attempting to purchase and described it as excellent but couldn't/didn't send pictures when requested . The price of the item was $150 which included shipping from Hawaii! ( first suspicion) Stated he was bedridden recovering from spinal surgery and requested I send money immediately to his Hawaii address in the form of a "MoneyGram" which I guess you get at Walmart because his PayPal account was "dormant" . I requested he send me his ROA # since I could not find him listed in the directory and / or a ROA reference. In addition I was asked to mail the "MoneyGram " to his wife ( totally different name from his) . I am not publishing his name in case I am totally wrong here but his initials in my correspondence were JZ. Can't prove it was a scam attempt but nothing added up and I have not heard from him since I asked for more info so wanted to throw this out to the forum to beware - just because it is on the forum apparently is no protection . Kendall Reed ROA 14548

I know this is an old post, but this is hilarious.......we are to believe that a guy has spinal surgery and is bedridden, but he has the time and inclination

to sign up as a forum member so he can sell somebody his spare 69 grill! I am trying to picture a guy in a hospital bed telling the nurse to hold the computer

next to his bed so he can get his grill sold! Hilarious! Hello McFly!

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NC1968Riviera said:

Ed, the ROA membership roster is behind the Members Only section of the site so that info is not accessible to the public and less vulnerable to hacking. (Unless the current site access info is posted in the wild somewhere).

Ray does a decent job of creating unique access info each month.

But consider this. For $35 you can buy close to 3,000 phone numbers, email addresses, what collector cars you own, and where you live.  Pretty cheap investment for someone who's really interested in doing no good.  A few years ago, we had a local detective talk to our middle school students about posting pictures on Facebook and other places of social media.  Pretty easy to figure out who you are, what your habits are, and when and where you'll be at any given time.  They'll either be where you are or know when you're not at home.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RivNut said:

But consider this. For $35 you can buy close to 3,000 phone numbers, email addresses, what collector cars you own, and where you live.  Pretty cheap investment for someone who's really interested in doing no good.  

And for less then that,  i can send  the book overseas and recive in return an mailing list that I can use in various spam attack software to send mail to everyone of the 3,000 members.  They also provide a file of phone  numbers that will work with most robo call devices.

Just so you know one way of getting name / addresses into the systems.