Deal of a lifetime!!!!

Wow, what a fine patina this baby has!

I wonder about the rust that we can't see in the photos.  The owner describes the rust in the floor pans as "front floor pans have large holes,"  when it is clear that the driver's side floor pan is gone!  Well, I guess that's a "large hole" in some people's opinions.  I wonder how extensive the other holes are, particularly the ones in the subframe.

I see that someone has done some fine body work on the left rear quarter panel, apparently while removing the "gas fill tube".

Maybe the seller misplaced a decimal point and is really opening the bid at $450.00 instead of $4500.00.

This one doesn't even tweak my "gotta havit" meter,

Grog

This car will tell you whether you are an optimist or a pessimist.

It's probable as valuable as Miss Belvedere.

There are people who like the bragging rights and have the skills to restore a fine piece such as this.

Sometimes the work involved is more fun than the ride after it's done. Give me 10 sheets of 16 Ga. steel and I could have it driving in about two years. ( My shear, brake, plasma cutter and mig are getting lonely)

Edited by Roger Walling (see edit history)

Taking the seller at his word,  would you prefer this number's matching 340/-4speed car with build sheet and fender tag and a good original color to a absolutely beautiful lime green slant 6 auto on the column car?

Agreed it is a rot box, but it ticks all the other boxes off.

Taking the seller at his word,  would you prefer this number's matching 340/-4speed car with build sheet and fender tag and a good original color to a absolutely beautiful lime green slant 6 auto on the column car?

It's fine if you like Mussel Cars, but I'll take the gold '72 sedan with AC.

Al, it has a mint, green interior!

TG

post-87514-0-96797000-1439132759_thumb.j

If you take the seller at his word,

you could buy it,

part it out

and double your money

As has been discussed before it's all supply and demand. It's the start of a car in quite short supply, and pretty decent demand. The first step would be to buy the cleanest 6 Cyl. auto," little old lady" 73 Duster I could find and go from there. 340 ,4 speed anything's are high on many peoples list, and as long as you have the skills why not? Of course it would madness to tow this to a shop {with a blank cheque}. You would be underwater in the first month. But for someone who has the necessary time, skill and desire why not? If it was a Cuda it would be double and sold. The pool of performance option ;starting point cars , is steadily shrinking. And yes, for you non-Mopar guys it is definitely worth at least the asking price in parts.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

As has been discussed before it's all supply and demand. It's the start of a car in quite short supply, and pretty decent demand. The first step would be to buy the cleanest 6 Cyl. auto," little old lady" 73 Duster I could find and go from there. 340 ,4 speed anything's are high on many peoples list, and as long as you have the skills why not? Of course it would madness to tow this to a shop {with a blank cheque}. You would be underwater in the first month. But for someone who has the necessary time, skill and desire why not? If it was a Cuda it would be double and sold. The pool of performance option ;starting point cars , is steadily shrinking. And yes, for you non-Mopar guys it is definitely worth at least the asking price in parts.

Greg in Canada

So true. Plus the fact that mostly all of the B bodies are found and restored....the A bodies are next.

I guess it's no worse than the 57 chevy rag top on their that looks like it's been under a tarp untouched since 1958.  They don't know how the frame is but from the majority of it I can see through the area where the floor pans used to be it atleast still has a frame under it. 

Creep rust scares me more than the obvious.  it's all the little nooks and crannies that are near impossible to see until you strip it and open up all those concealed areas.

Guest Bob Call

Didn't Chrysler Corp go to unibody construction in the early 60's? If so, this is just scrap metal.  Larger diameter 4.5 inch wheel lugs? Chrysler Corp used the 4.5 inch forever, just standard wheels.

Didn't Chrysler Corp go to unibody construction in the early 60's? If so, this is just scrap metal.  Larger diameter 4.5 inch wheel lugs? Chrysler Corp used the 4.5 inch forever, just standard wheels.

My 63 Dart certainly was although I forgot if it had 4.5" lugs. I know it had 5 of them and one side had left hand threads.

1973 models in general across the board were smogged to death and detuned.  If I wanted to dump money on performance I would buy performance.  You can build a not so great car all you want,  it will never be a great car unless it came from the factory that way.  1973 anythings seem to sell for alot less than say a 70 or 71 counterpart will. 

It also takes one very good body man to cut a car like that apart and put it back together so no one will know it's ever been done.   I know alot of car guys in the area and I know  of only one that I could say can do it. (he is smart enough to not mess with a car like this even if you gave it to him because he knows the work it takes to make it right. ) Then the chroming, annodizing, upholstery and mechanical work you need to make this car really right because you aren't going to skimp on those after you spent that much devotion to the body.  that means the other several hundred/ more like thousands of guys that work on a car like this and are willing to take it on will deliver a less than spectacular product. Many because they realize they are in too deep and cut corners to try to get out of it. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

In the summer of 1972 I had been out of the Navy for about 6 months. I remember going to the 1/8th mile dragstrip at Spencer Speedway that summer. When those rare Dusters class came up everyone said  "Her come the 340 Dusters. Let's go to the concession stand." Then we'd hear them buzzing in the background for half an hour. Cheap racing.

Bernie