What make/model is this van? Its awesome!

Guest donbjazzbones

Guest AlCapone

I am sure it is an Abortionmobile but it could be Barfmobile. You can only drive it on dark nights on back roads with sunglasses on in case somebody you know sees you. What a gawd awful creation ! Wayne

Edited by AlCapone (see edit history)

That picture has been circulating around the interwebs for a while. Apparently it was taken on Malta where they have some unusual, custom made buses and vans. It is some kind of English truck chassis with a body built in Malta by a local coachbuilder. Look up Maltese buses and vans if you want an eye full.

Later................

A quick search turned up this complete history

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/blog/the-amazing-maltese-bread-van/

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 1

You have to hand it to the Maltese craftsmen, designing and building bodies like that with probably less tools and equipment than a lot of you  have in your home garage. Molding tail light lenses from pieces of Plexiglass, making their own chrome trim, everything. And doing it for a price the local small businessman can afford to pay.

A few jobs like that would certainly liven up the roads, and make a change from the bland white Dodge and Ford boxes we see all day.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Kind of the poor man's Stout Scarab. I love it too.

. That's exactly what I was thinking.... a later model Scarab. Clean it up, smooth out some of the rough edges and bring the interior up to the same level of quality, and it could've worked!