WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS??

STEVE POLLARD

Back to the ubiquitous mods that seem to be "required" for all old cars, and their effect on availability of good originals:

Mama had a 69 Impala Sport Coupe that got used completely up- she loved that car more than any she ever owned, and drove it till the floors were too rusty to pass VA inspection. Nowadays replacing floors is no big deal but in the late 70s it was just a ten year old used car.

I'd like to have another Sport Coupe but those are hard to find, and when you do they've always been "personalized". Think donked, loaded with electronic gadgets, non-original drivetrain- which doesn't meet my standards at all. Custom Coupes and convertibles are common enough, but I've never liked the outsized 69-73 Custom Coupe sailpanels and converts can get pricey. I'd consider a Sport Sedan but we all know nobody saved the four-doors.

In six years of looking thru auto traders, I've found exactly one that met the criteria- surpassed it actually. Car was unrestored original, 327/PG, buckets/console, original wheelcovers, skirts, no VT, and Glacier Blue same as Mama's. And natcherly it was all the way across the country...

Just $19,500 on cars on line;

68chev77617-3.jpg

One of the better car restoration T.V. shows we have over here is called "For the love of cars". Admittedly, there is the usual artificial deadline/fake drama stuff that they all seem to suffer from but in this case, the restored cars are sold at COYS classic car auctions. There is no pulling the wool over the eyes of either the auctioneers or the serious investment buyers and some record prices have been achieved. The last car they did was an Aston Martin DBS which they converted from automatic to manual with a 'Vantage' engine upgrade that would have been available from the factory when the cars were new. The paint and interior colour was also changed but basically nothing too drastic. It fetched £150.000 - a world record for one of these beauties.

I think a serious approach to TV car shows can be informative and entertaining but whether American programme makers will ever take the risk I couldn't say.

Ray. <script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/4dd8d9fb/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/4dd8d9fb/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

One of the better car restoration T.V. shows we have over here is called "For the love of cars". Admittedly, there is the usual artificial deadline/fake drama stuff that they all seem to suffer from but in this case, the restored cars are sold at COYS classic car auctions. There is no pulling the wool over the eyes of either the auctioneers or the serious investment buyers and some record prices have been achieved. The last car they did was an Aston Martin DBS which they converted from automatic to manual with a 'Vantage' engine upgrade that would have been available from the factory when the cars were new. The paint and interior colour was also changed but basically nothing too drastic. It fetched £150.000 - a world record for one of these beauties.

I think a serious approach to TV car shows can be informative and entertaining but whether American programme makers will ever take the risk I couldn't say.

Ray. <script src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/4dd8d9fb/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js" type="text/javascript"></script><script src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/4dd8d9fb/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

Ray, I would love to see a serious approach instead of bad juvenile behavior by adults, but these car show programs have something to do with the structure of comedy. Here in the states comedy in general is something that has turned into vulgarity and also comedy talking points or lines are blatantly in your face. In the UK comedy is much more sophisticated so that the subject information is something you have to really listen to and use your mind to figure out what has been said and is definitely more subtle in delivery. I base this observation on experience in the UK and also UK comedy shows that we receive here, although it's been some time since I was over there, and the shows we get are somewhat dated.

Ray. <script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/4dd8d9fb/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/4dd8d9fb/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

I can Ray.......never happen unless Public Television would be up to the challenge like "Ultimate Restorations".

Has anyone on the forum bought one of these TV assembled cars? It would really be interesting to find out where they are today, where the owner takes them, how happy they are with the build quality, and how the cars are holding up. The stories must be as incredible as the shows ........ incredible; interesting word.

Cuba is opening now. Maybe the car shows will be replaced by a reality show about a Cuban drummer who comes to the US to play in night clubs and marries a red haired Irish girl from the Southern Tier of New York. Now, there's a hair brained idea from a show.

Bernie

Say Burnie, I Love Lucy too. ;) Dandy Dave!

I think they should find a rotted frame that has been in the woods for something very early, like a 1910 pierce, or similar automobile and recreate the entire car to original specifications in a month. And show us all the steps it takes to get it done. A shop that could do that for real would get my attention. ;) Dreaming, I must be Dreaming. :P Dandy Dave!

I lost any respect I may have had for reality shows a few years ago when I accidentally found myself at the headquarters of OC Choppers in NY and saw most of the "tribute" and "customer" bikes that they had done on the show for sale in their show room next to their sweat shirts, hats and booty shorts. Build quality was nothing to get excited about either.

Ray. <script src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/4dd8d9fb/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js" type="text/javascript"></script><script src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/4dd8d9fb/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

No, the short attention span of the American viewing public would not allow it. I have said it before on these forums--these shows are produced for the lowest common denominator. If there are no stupid fights, unrealistic time deadlines, and other manufactured drama, the short attention span crowd will never watch it. Garbage in, garbage out. Reality TV is garbage.

Has anyone on the forum bought one of these TV assembled cars? It would really be interesting to find out where they are today, where the owner takes them, how happy they are with the build quality, and how the cars are holding up. The stories must be as incredible as the shows ........ incredible; interesting word.

Bernie

Some years ago, there was a show where the actor/presenter Edward Hermann had a 1930s Packard restored. At the end of the show, a very happy Edward Hermann picked up his beautiful Packard. What was that show? And I wonder where that Packard is now?

According to Wicki, Ed Hermann was very much a Classic car enthusiast. He hosted the T.V. show "Automobiles" on the History channel and was a regular master of ceremonies at Pebble Beach. Apparently he owned several restored classics including a 1929 Auburn 8-90 boat tailed Speedster and a 1934 Alvis speed 20. The Packard was not specifically mentioned.

He died 31 December 2014 aged 71. He was very popular over here.

Ray.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/4dd8d9fb/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Restorer32; you seem to have catholic tastes in old cars! Of course I am quite familiar with the XK140 drop head - one of my all time favourites, but the 900 Packard is a dream car I should imagine?

I've never seen one, let alone been in one. One day maybe.:cool:

Ray.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/4dd8d9fb/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

There was a program on the old TNN network back in the 1990's called "Shadetree Mechanic", I found the 30min show very informative, they took on the every day mechanical issues that the regular guy / gal would experience with their own vehicles and presented in a very informative way on how to make the repairs.

It might of been broadcast on PBS as well...

Steve

As I read through some of the comments, I think the aftermarket and nations seemingly insatiable wants for technology, have been one of the biggest detriments to the 60's and early 70's cars. After all, the only thing better than a 26 inch wheel with a 1 inch sidewall, is a 30 inch wheel with a 1/2 inch sidewall. Although, I do remember relatives "ordering" new cars, and tales of special ordered options. Many of these cars were very much more personalized. Picking engines, transmissions, colors, and even wheel caps. It may be why it seems more acceptable to so call "personalize" these cars, more so than say a Packard Darren. Combine that with the fact that there is still a relatively large number of the "generic" versions of the cars available, not many cringe if it was not a ZL1 or an original 409 car. I like to think that my preferences in youth have kept many restorers going. It wouldn't be a challenge if I hadn't dumped the date coded wheels, yanked out the air conditioning components, and thrown that big block truck motor in there!

Dandy Dave, want to bet my MODIFIED 1941 Buick can catch Ya?

I could/can put your speedster in the back seat, and bring it home, ya HEAR ME?

Got to LOVE that Dandy Dave, well, MAYBE!

Dale in Indy

LOL.. Your Funny Dale. ;) Your car is 26 years Newer than my 15. The tech is so advanced that it just aint fair. Show up in an original, (Not re-powered ) Tin Lizzy and I'll take you on. LOL... :P Dandy Dave!

Lucy got bronzed for her dramedy show

[ATTACH=CONFIG]306516[/ATTACH] Bernie.

The sculptor responsible for the "frightening" Lucille Ball statue that's been terrorizing local residents is now offering to fix it for free, admitting it is "by far my most unsettling sculpture."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/675x380/2015/04/lucille_ball_statue_a_l.jpg

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

Jamestown is not without its frightening aspects. A couple hundred yards from Lucy's stature we declined a chance for a couple of beers.

post-46237-143143090322_thumb.jpgInviting place isn't it.

I am also a bit re-sculpted. That is a picture of me before the stroke, heart attack, and double bypass, about 40 pounds re-sculpted.

Bernie

Jamestown is not without its frightening aspects. A couple hundred yards from Lucy's stature we declined a chance for a couple of beers.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]306658[/ATTACH]Inviting place isn't it.

I am also a bit re-sculpted. That is a picture of me before the stroke, heart attack, and double bypass, about 40 pounds re-sculpted.

Bernie

Yesterday, after one of our car shows my wife and I went to a new restaurant in town and I had the best fish and chips this side of the Yorkshire Dales. Finally a place that can cook Icelandic Cod the way it's supposed to be cooked. Then my wife pointed out how I threw my prescribed diet out the window. That song by Alan Jackson came back to me again and again " Everything I love is killing me" !

Alan Jackson - Everything i love - YouTube

Yesterday, after one of our car shows my wife and I went to a new restaurant in town and I had the best fish and chips this side of the Yorkshire Dales. Finally a place that can cook Icelandic Cod the way it's supposed to be cooked. Then my wife pointed out how I threw my prescribed diet out the window. That song by Alan Jackson came back to me again and again " Everything I love is killing me" !

Alan Jackson - Everything i love - YouTube

The best fish and chips in the World is actually from the port of Whitby in Yorkshire. I'm glad you found somewhere that understands the difference between Icelandic Cod and the rest. From what I can gather most places use the generic term "white fish". We may have lost an empire but what the heck we still do great fish and chips. Sod the diet! :)

Ray.

<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/4dd8d9fb/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

What?! You mean Long John Silver's, Arthur Treacher's, and Captain D's aren't the best fish and chips in the world?! The power of advertising... Of those three I'd say LJS has the best. Never had Treacher's, and every time I got it at Captain D's fish always tasted slightly undercooked. I would like to try REAL British fish and chips but seeing as I may never get to the Isles... I think I'd have to draw the line at eels though.

Helfen, that is a 1968 Custom Coupe. Nice car but not what I'm looking for.

The best fish and chips in the World is actually from the port of Whitby in Yorkshire. I'm glad you found somewhere that understands the difference between Icelandic Cod and the rest. From what I can gather most places use the generic term "white fish". We may have lost an empire but what the heck we still do great fish and chips. Sod the diet! :)

Ray.

<script src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/4dd8d9fb/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

I forgot to add, with this dinner came malt vinegar and mayonnaise and NO tomato ketchup! Just the job! Can you imagine ketchup on chips ( sorry French fries ) or as the Belgians who invented it call it “Les frites” !

What?! You mean Long John Silver's, Arthur Treacher's, and Captain D's aren't the best fish and chips in the world?! The power of advertising... Of those three I'd say LJS has the best. Never had Treacher's, and every time I got it at Captain D's fish always tasted slightly undercooked. I would like to try REAL British fish and chips but seeing as I may never get to the Isles... I think I'd have to draw the line at eels though.

You won't catch me eating "jellied eels"....disgusting!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jellied_eels

Ray.

<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/4dd8d9fb/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Edited by R.White (see edit history)

I forgot to add, with this dinner came malt vinegar and mayonnaise and NO tomato ketchup! Just the job! Can you imagine ketchup on chips ( sorry French fries ) or as the Belgians who invented it call it “Les frites” !

Yes! Don't forget the malt vinegar, it wouldn't be proper fish 'n' chips without a good dose of malt vinegar. The natural enhancement for fries/chips is mayonnaise, not ketchup as so many of us Americans use to defile their fries/chips.

Back in the mid '60s, I had the privilege of serving in the U.S. Air Force and was stationed in France. The French and Belgians had the best "frites" which were usually served hot and fresh from roadside stands. This is where I learned that mayonnaise is the appropriate enhancement for "Frites". A six month TDY (Temporary duty) to Lakenheath in the U.K. served to introduce me to proper fish 'n' chips.

Getting back to the subject of this thread, I would be very reluctant to modify an original "survivor" (whatever that means) car. I have a 1937 Chevrolet 4door Master Deluxe which has been untouched since new, which I would not think of even restoring. I just bought a 25,000 original miles 1981 Chevrolet El Camino (with the 267 cubic inch small block V-8) which just screams to be modified (350 C.I., 4 or 5 speed etc.), but it is completely original, in excellent shape and will (probably) not be modified by me.

Off to find some fish 'n' chips,

Grog

Yes! Don't forget the malt vinegar, it wouldn't be proper fish 'n' chips without a good dose of malt vinegar. The natural enhancement for fries/chips is mayonnaise, not ketchup as so many of us Americans use to defile their fries/chips.

Back in the mid '60s, I had the privilege of serving in the U.S. Air Force and was stationed in France. The French and Belgians had the best "frites" which were usually served hot and fresh from roadside stands. This is where I learned that mayonnaise is the appropriate enhancement for "Frites". A six month TDY (Temporary duty) to Lakenheath in the U.K. served to introduce me to proper fish 'n' chips.

Getting back to the subject of this thread, I would be very reluctant to modify an original "survivor" (whatever that means) car. I have a 1937 Chevrolet 4door Master Deluxe which has been untouched since new, which I would not think of even restoring. I just bought a 25,000 original miles 1981 Chevrolet El Camino (with the 267 cubic inch small block V-8) which just screams to be modified (350 C.I., 4 or 5 speed etc.), but it is completely original, in excellent shape and will (probably) not be modified by me.

Off to find some fish 'n' chips,

Grog

There is a reason the Belgians have the best fries. They cook the fries twice. Fries first go in a lower temp vat of oil for just a few seconds which cooks the outer layer to a thin crust and then another vat at a high temp. This first dunking forms a sort of barrier so that on the second dunking the heat cooks the inside nice and tender and the crust prevents the oil to penetrate the inside unlike the greasy fries we get here at home with one dunking.

I just bought a 25,000 original miles 1981 Chevrolet El Camino (with the 267 cubic inch small block V-8) which just screams to be modified (350 C.I., 4 or 5 speed etc.), but it is completely original, in excellent shape and will (probably) not be modified by me.

*raises eyebrow curiously*

Sounds awesome ... have any pics of your new-to-you 1981 EC? Would love to see it!

Cort :)www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve

"It's only a matter of time" __ Mariah Carey __ 'Always Be My Baby'

Guest BillP

Another El Camino checking in. Mine's a 1970, and the only one in the universe without stripes and a big block. 100,000 miles, no PS, no PB, no air, dig dish hubcaps, stock original 350/350, crank windows, single exhaust. It's a used car I like to use. Drove it home from Texas, I'm the second owner. Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

*raises eyebrow curiously*

Sounds awesome ... have any pics of your new-to-you 1981 EC? Would love to see it!

Cort :)www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve

"It's only a matter of time" __ Mariah Carey __ 'Always Be My Baby'

I would also like to see it. I think it may deserve it's own thread so it doesn't get buried in a thread like this.

So I asked the following question about a week ago: " I watched the latest installment of FAST N LOUD on demand tonight, what I saw was heart-breaking, to say the least. A numbers matching, low mileage 1968 Chevrolet Impala Custom Coupe ( that appeared to be all original ) had it's small block and suspension removed in favor of a big block crate engine and drop spindles. Why? This old Chevrolet was absolutely beautiful the way it was... it could of been driven on any show field and be admired for it's originality. I'm into the full size Chevrolets from this time period ( '67 thru '70 ) and when you come across a vehicle in this condition, that has "survived" all these years, just to be torn apart for profit is discouraging. "

Well, I went on demand last night and watch ( fast forward ) the follow up episode regarding the '68... The Impala sold at auction for around $48K. Between purchasing the Impala and doing the upgrades, they had invested around $26K into the car... after transporting and auction fees, I think they cleared around $18K. So it comes down to profit... is this the message that we are giving to the general public regarding our classics / antique automobiles ? Was this just a fluke since it was a high-end auction / televised ? I would hate to think that down the road when some of our classic become available for purchase, that these types of "upgrades" are done, just simply to make a huge profit.

Just venting.....

Steve

Edited by steveimpala (see edit history)

I'm sure their intention was to make a profit but then I think there are individuals out there that want the appeal of an antique car with the reliability and low maintenance of today's throw away vehicles. I am certainly not one of them.

I seem recall somewhere in the 1980's there was an outfit that was "modernizing" the drive train of certain muscle cars of the 60's and 70's. There was even an article in Car and Driver at the time proclaiming this butchering. I wonder how many valuable cars were ruined and devalued by this fad?

Edited by Bleach (see edit history)

To what Steveimpala just said;

As mention in the AACA mission statement "The preservation and enjoyment of automotive history of all types." That's why I joined this organization. If I'd liked Monster Trucks or customized vehicles with chromed out engine / suspension, fuzzy dashboards, undercarriage illuminated etc... I guess I would be involved with that aspect of the automotive hobby.. I prefer this. To each their own.

I will add; Reading the AACA's mission statement and being in accord with that statement , and I and all of you being on the AACA site in the general forum have a interest in the mission statement and if you don't you shouldn't be whining about us or the club. If these things matter to us and not to you I think you need to rethink why you are here on this forum instead of trying to change things/minds here. It is very possible that most of the cars that we cherish will not be around in a hundred years because of fuel, parts, or from the growing environmental movement that has instilled in our children that these vehicles we love so dearly are bad. However, that maybe in the future, but it is not now and this is our time here on earth so let the people who own and like these cars the way they came new from the factory do our own thing and you go and do your own thing over at the Hamb or somewhere else. Sound like a plan?

excellent plan, very well said.

Another El Camino checking in. Mine's a 1970, and the only one in the universe without stripes and a big block. 100,000 miles, no PS, no PB, no air, dig dish hubcaps, stock original 350/350, crank windows, single exhaust. It's a used car I like to use. Drove it home from Texas, I'm the second owner. Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

I'm confused. Please explain, you say you have a big block and then you go on to say it's a 350/350. Do you mean it's a smb 350 with a T-350 A/T or do you mean it's a BB with 350hp and a T-350 A/T??

Guest BillP

Yes that was unclear, wasn't it. I should have said it's the only one in the universe without stripes and without a big block. Of course, that's over-stating it, but only a little. It's a 2 barrel 350 with a TH350 trans, all stock. Without all the usual optional power accessories, the engine looks tiny when you open the hood. Mouse motor, indeed.

Ever listen to the partially educated people who host the auctions? At Mechum auction in Florida and Kansas city just passed have a couple of host that do a couple of things disturbing. One, is that a perfectly nice original car will come across the block and they will tell you about what they would do to the car like adding a big block or disc brakes or special wheels. Next is the modified car that come across and they tell you it's all acceptable and good and it does not hurt the originality. Next, is explaining a car and it's mechanicals and getting the technical information wrong...One that always comes to mind is Barrett-Jacksons Mike Joy who has told on many occasions to his audience that the 1964, 1965, 1966 GTO or Olds 442 has a two speed Powerglide in it!!!

Lastly, when you are trying to hear the auctioneer these host pick this time to tell everybody that when they were a kid or I had one of these cars, or I was messing around in the back seat in one of these cars back in the day. I think what they need to learn is these auctions are about the cars and NOT about them.

One word comes to mind- "pandering". They figure their audience wants modified cars and they pander to that demographic.

When ignoramuses have prattled to me about modifications I should do to my cars, my pat reply is "why the hell would I want to do that?" Yet I'm the one who gets the strange looks.

BillP, several years back I located a 1971 EC still on its original owner, in good condition and bone stock down to its beige paint, 250 six/3-speed and wheelcovers with whitewalls. Asking money $2500. I said haleyea but by the time (3 hours later) I could call the guy in Roanoke it was sold. I can about guarantee that within 6 months it was a big-block/4-speed and red with the ubiquitous SS stripes. A nice unmodified (dare I say unmolested?) ElCamino is harder to find than a big Chevy. People just will not leave such a vehicle alone, and chop-cut-rebuild reality shows don't help.

"1971 EC still on its original owner, in good condition and bone stock down to its beige paint, 250 six/3-speed and wheelcovers with whitewalls"..... That's what I'm talking about, to me that is cool!! Exactly what Rocketraider said, " A nice unmodified (dare I say unmolested?) ElCamino is harder to find than a big Chevy" These unmolested vehicles should be the focus point of the car show circuits... it's nice that I can bring one of my youngest kids to a show and let them see what a original vehicle looks like, like when I was that age!

post-88015-143143094662_thumb.jpg

I would also like to see it. I think it may deserve it's own thread so it doesn't get buried in a thread like this.

ScarredKnightfan and Bleach,

I started a thread on the El Camino, with some photos, in the General Discussion Forum. Maybe I should have put the thread on the Chevrolet and GMC Trucks Forum, but a moderator will change it if necessary.

Cheers,

Grog