WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS??

STEVE POLLARD

I watched the latest installment of FAST N LOUD on demand tonight, what I saw was heart-breaking, to say the least. A numbers matching, low mileage 1968 Chevrolet Impala Custom Coupe ( that appeared to be all original ) had it's small block and suspension removed in favor of a big block crate engine and drop spindles. Why? This old Chevrolet was absolutely beautiful the way it was... it could of been driven on any show field and be admired for it's originality. I'm into the full size Chevrolets from this time period ( '67 thru '70 ) and when you come across a vehicle in this condition, that has "survived" all these years, just to be torn apart for profit is discouraging.

Steve

I just understand why this seems to be the norm, to be honest the actors on fast and loud I do not care for at all.

I do have a question based on your point that no none can answer; How come with any hobby that collects antique artifacts or machinery it would be considered blasphemy to destroy an original piece of furniture, or toy or any other mass produced antique object, and why has it become acceptable in ours?

We don't see anyone destroying the finish of a lithographed toy because they liked it better painted purple

Edited by Biscayne John (see edit history)

Joe, I don't consider it a waste of my life at 11pm when there is not much of anything else on ( I guess I can put the news on and get depress watching that )... that particular segment bother me for the share fact that a perfectly good vehicle was dismantle, I really don't mind the program when they purchase barn finds / field vehicles and they bring them back to life, so that aspect of the program I can deal with.

My rule of thumb has worked out to be: If it's a show about cars, on cable TV it probably is going to upset me. The majority of these shows are about rodding, customizing, DUBing, whatever. It is not about what we do, which is take a car and labor through years of neglect and reverse time until the car is like it was when new, or better than it was when new, with little or no profit margin. These TV shows need drama and they need a bottom line story that people who aren't mechanically minded, or not slavishly interested in history can relate to, and that usually comes to money. Most people are interested in money. In a way I see this as an impediment to getting young people involved in the hobby. This is what they see on the easiest medium in their home--people cutting, chopping, slamming, re-powering cars and no one restoring them. Our mission is basically unrepresented in this powerful medium. There was a very good show on years ago, a southern gentleman who knew his stuff would go through what I would describe as a typical antique car you would see at a show--a car that had cosmetic restoration and looked good but had various operational problems due to age, and the fact that at a crucial point some owner said "no, it runs fine, just make it look good". He was working on some Packards (my chosen brand) and was doing some really good, sound work. The show was a little dry, there was no silly manufactured deadline or personal drama in getting the work done. That show disappeared. We have Wayne Carlini, and that's it to represent our side of the hobby. I don't dislike Wayne, and agree with him a lot of the time, but again, his show is about how much money he can profit on each unit--to appeal to the masses.

It's Lowest Common Denominator entertainment- as Pushbutton said, to appeal to the masses.

I had a conversation with a younger friend (34) over lunch Saturday and he mentioned he was considering an LS swap for the 1965 Impala he's owned since he was 16, and that has been in his family since new. What the hell for? I said. He wants fuel injection, fuel economy and more power, and says he can't get that with a carbureted 327 having to run ethanol fuel. Now keep in mind he has a VW Golf TDi daily driver and the Impala is rarely driven more than 1500 miles a year, so considering the expense and fabrication involved those are all moot points. I said new car dealer lots are full of what you want, if you want a modern car go buy one and leave the Impala alone.

Then the kicker- he says "Nobody wants that old sh*t anymore. They want something they can drive and not have to look for someone who understands it and can work on it".

So apparently a lot of people completely miss the point of having old machinery.

BiscayneJohn, I bought a Thomas Day washstand a few weeks back, not necessarily because I needed or wanted it, but I wanted to keep it in the area it was made. The original 1810 Williamson homeplace (still in Williamson hands) has a lot of Thomas Day cabinetwork in it so it's on display there in a room with a Day mantel and woodwork. It has a few fleabites and some fool has already suggested "why don't you have that professionally refinished". For the simple reason it has survived intact and unmolested since pre-Civil War and a couple of veneer chips are not enough to consider altering that originality. Point is the chop-cut-rebuild mentality is there in all "old" based hobbies. We just tend to see it more in ours, and nice original Chevrolets unfortunately fall victim to that mentality more than about any other make.

Edited by rocketraider (see edit history)

They want something they can drive and not have to look for someone who understands it and can work on it".....................

That's amazing! A '65 327 is the easiest engine in the world to keep healthy. Plugs, points, wires is all it take, and even an idiot like me can fix that. Ok, I may have trouble finding that old dwell meter, but shoot they always said a matchbook would work. Wait, where would I find a matchbook????:o

A '65 327 is the easiest engine in the world to keep healthy. Plugs, points, wires is all it take, and even an idiot like me can fix that.

No kidding.

However, young men today have no idea what a carburetor does, let along points. Computerized motors today can run for 300,000 miles with no plug changes - or even a tuneup! They also run cleaner and get better mileage.

So why should young guys care about old tech? They grew up riding in Granddad's Lexus - not his Packard or Ford.

Wayne, this kid is a competent mechanic. At age 24 he rebuilt a cast-iron PowerGlide for one of the 57 guys here. I told him he'd gotten lazy.

I have all my "old-school" tune-up stuff including the Dixco dwell-tach I bought at 16 and that still works even though I use my Sears "Engine Analyzer" and dial-back timing light more.

The stuff is still out there- I bought a box lot of tune-up stuff for $10 at an auction a few weeks ago. Cleaned it up and it works fine. There was: Marquette dwell-tach and charging system tester, Bakelite case 6-12-24v coil tester and a Kal-Equipment generator/alternator/regulator tester. The kind of stuff any service station would have had years ago.

Now, you tell me to tune an engine with a laptop, I'll look at you like you just got off the bus from Mars. I'm the one who has to look for someone who understands my modern computerized junk.

Edited by rocketraider (see edit history)

It's Lowest Common Denominator entertainment- as Pushbutton said, to appeal to the masses.

I had a conversation with a younger friend (34) over lunch Saturday and he mentioned he was considering an LS swap for the 1965 Impala he's owned since he was 16, and that has been in his family since new. What the hell for? I said. He wants fuel injection, fuel economy and more power, and says he can't get that with a carbureted 327 having to run ethanol fuel. Now keep in mind he has a VW Golf TDi daily driver and the Impala is rarely driven more than 1500 miles a year, so considering the expense and fabrication involved those are all moot points. I said new car dealer lots are full of what you want, if you want a modern car go buy one and leave the Impala alone.

Then the kicker- he says "Nobody wants that old sh*t anymore. They want something they can drive and not have to look for someone who understands it and can work on it".

So apparently a lot of people completely miss the point of having old machinery.

BiscayneJohn, I bought a Thomas Day washstand a few weeks back, not necessarily because I needed or wanted it, but I wanted to keep it in the area it was made. The original 1810 Williamson homeplace (still in Williamson hands) has a lot of Thomas Day cabinetwork in it so it's on display there in a room with a Day mantel and woodwork. It has a few fleabites and some fool has already suggested "why don't you have that professionally refinished". For the simple reason it has survived intact and unmolested since pre-Civil War and a couple of veneer chips are not enough to consider altering that originality. Point is the chop-cut-rebuild mentality is there in all "old" based hobbies. We just tend to see it more in ours, and nice original Chevrolets unfortunately fall victim to that mentality more than about any other make.

So this upgrade on his 65 Chevy when it is said and done will cost roughly $5-7K and it still will not be a fast as a used late model Mustang for the same price, and he will find people who can work on it.

When I was down at my house in Ocala FLorida a few weeks ago I took my car to a local show at a strawberry festivel.I was parked next to a older gentilman (older then me anyway) who had an identical 50 Chevy as mine but his was restored (very well I might add, maybe not Grand National, but an easy Senior). He purchaced the car about two years ago from dealer in the midwest, and I would venture to say he paid the market value. As our conversation went on he told me "yeah I am going to send to so and so's shop this summer and have disc brakes put on it" I asked him many miles a year he srives it and he said about 300 miles...... Another case of more money then brains. I did ask him if I could have the parts when removed, but why?

As Steve said in his original post "WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS?" Again, one would think it would be easier just to buy a later model older car for the same price that would suit his needs, but I am sure he would figure out a way to plunder that also

I agree with most of the comments above. Why watch it, why get upset, why do we have any reality junk on the tube. It appeals to some, not me. Go out in the garage and restore something, do things with family, neighbors, or friends, do anything, but don't ***** about what others are doing just because it doesn't fit your standards. I really don't care what others are doing or thinking, we all have a choice, and I choose to tune out all reality programming. JMHO

He really is an idiot.

A 1965 (pre smog) 327 will start as easily and run as well as any new fuel injection engine if it is tuned to factory specs. I have done this on old cars myself and was amazed how well they worked when everything was restored to factory specs. Meaning carb heat, and carburetor rebuild + major tuneup to the ignition, on an engine with good compression and oil pressure.

No kidding.

However, young men today have no idea what a carburetor does, let along points. .

Buy a new carb at the local parts store, never worry about it again.

So why should young guys care about old tech? .....

Because they will driving the coolest thing on the road. NOTHING sold today looks like the colorful cars of the 50's -70's. Even my local dealership owner told me 2 months ago that everything in his dealership looked like a refrigerator!

Steve, I think you hit on the one single reason why the Impala was modified.... Profit. There would be no point in desecrating a rare collectors car because it would loose value. Wayne Carini has been mentioned; he would be looking for authenticity and be prepared to pay top dollar for it - and still be able to turn a profit. So how rare will an unmolested 1968 Impala Custom Coupe need to get before it too is valued for what it is rather than for what someone thinks it should be?

Despite low inflation, prices for rare things in general have risen considerably over recent years. Antiques, be it cars, furniture, fine art etc. have, like gold, become a haven for the investor. I assume this is due to the theft of value from money/ currency with the result that the value of savings has depreciated rather than yielding interest. Long term, then, the original unmolested classic car - rather than the modified one - is possibly the better investment.

Ray. <script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/30f86223/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/30f86223/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Edited by R.White (see edit history)

I watched the latest installment of FAST N LOUD on demand tonight, what I saw was heart-breaking, to say the least. A numbers matching, low mileage 1968 Chevrolet Impala Custom Coupe ( that appeared to be all original ) had it's small block and suspension removed in favor of a big block crate engine and drop spindles. Why? This old Chevrolet was absolutely beautiful the way it was... it could of been driven on any show field and be admired for it's originality. I'm into the full size Chevrolets from this time period ( '67 thru '70 ) and when you come across a vehicle in this condition, that has "survived" all these years, just to be torn apart for profit is discouraging.

Steve

Because the producers believe this is good television.

And it is all about the $$$.

Another aspect would be one less collector car on the market that someone new to the hobby could of got into for a reasonable amount of money...forget that now, I can only guess what that Impala will go for now after it's upgrades.

Don't take this the wrong way, but is there a shortage of 1968 Chevys? I'm the kind of guy who likes my cars original, but I don't shed a tear for most of the cars that get modified simply because there are thousands of them. Sure a low-mileage "survivor" might have some minor collector interest to it, but it's still not a valuable or particularly scarce car and if you desperately want one, there are plenty to choose from that are equal to that car. But to answer your question (Why would you do this?), there are several obvious reasons why this was done:

1) Profit. How much was the car worth as it sat or if they had tuned it up and made it run perfectly? $10,000? $12,000? Certainly not much more than that. How much was it worth when it was done? Probably quite a bit more than that. I don't know what they invested in the build and it's hard to make money doing that kind of stuff but I bet the car generated some profit for someone somewhere.

2) Entertainment. Whether the guys on TV make money building cars or not is academic, it's entertainment. The TV producers are bankrolling the build and the accompanying drama. How many good, clean used late-model 1968 Chevys were driven off of cliffs in high-speed pursuits in old movies? It's entertainment, nothing more.

3) Marketability. Yes, we love original cars, that's what this club is about. But they all can't be saved. That car was surely for sale and someone other than the TV show guys knew of its existence and availability. Why didn't someone "save" the car if it was so desirable? Would someone have bought it as it sat? I watch the market and talk to buyers every day and to be honest, there are so many cars out there that some are almost impossible to sell except for pennies on the dollar, and this might be one of them. Just because it's your personal favorite car doesn't mean it should be everyone's favorite, and yes, there's a demographic shift going on where people want modified cars and expect luxuries like fuel injection, overdrive transmissions, and air conditioning. They aren't buying the cars to experience what life was like in 1968, they're buying the cars because they like how they look and how they make them feel and because they like to have something unique (relatively speaking, of course). Tastes and expectations in the old car hobby are changing, like it or not.

We shed bitter tears and shake our fists at people who cut up good old cars, but unless someone steps up and puts their money on the line to rescue it, well, there isn't much to complain about if someone else does put their money on the line. It's like complaining about the government when you don't vote.

Some cars are offensive if they are cut up (the guys building rods from Full Classics, for example), but a mass-produced car with a top that doesn't go down and a garden-variety powertrain? Just because it's managed to exist for 50 years doesn't make it special. I've managed to exist for 45 years with all my original parts, but I'm hardly something unique or magical. Hell, I wouldn't mind an upgrade or two...

Guest Bob Call

My one viewing of Fast & Loud was an early episode where the got a nice 50 Olds. The story line was it would be too expensive to overhaul the tired 303 engine. So, pull the power train and drop in a SBC and TH400 and sell it for 10's of thousand dollars. A pox on their house.

YOU asked, WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS, well probably because MORE viewers are MORE interested in UPDATING the car than restoring it.

This type a question will NEVER produce an answer that will please all. If you DON'T like a show, then YOU are in control so turn it off.

This question reminds me of one where a fellow asked WHICH is BETTER, a Ford or a Chevy.

I like all types of automobiles, original and modified.

Dae in Indy

As we all know, price is determined by supply and demand. If enough '68 Impala Custom Coupe's are either scrapped or rodded the shortage of supply will eventually determine a scarcity value for good unrestored cars. It may well be a shame for many enthusiasts who will be priced out of their hobby but I see no other long term future unless there is a grass roots change in attitudes in favour of stock antique cars; which to be fair, seems a bit unlikely. Also, the more desirable the car, the more likely it will end up in the hands of an investor or at best become a trailer queen.

Personally, I regard it as fortunate that on this side of the pond, there is much more fondness for the good, unmolested classic car than something that has been personalised. MAYBE we Brits just lack imagination, but "patina" is the name of the game over here.

Ray. <script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/30f86223/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Matt & Ray, thanks for your input, some good points there! Bleach, you make me laugh.. " I wouldn't watch this show even if I could. Nothing to watch at 11PM? Go to bed. You'll feel better with the extra sleep and maybe wake up earlier to enjoy more of what's worth while in life" Extra sleep, I wish ! LOL.... been working the over night shift close to thirty years now, so when I'm not working / trying to get some rest, I'm running around with my four kids to their sport activities!

Take care...

Don't take this the wrong way, but is there a shortage of 1968 Chevys? I'm the kind of guy who likes my cars original, but I don't shed a tear for most of the cars that get modified simply because there are thousands of them. Sure a low-mileage "survivor" might have some minor collector interest to it, but it's still not a valuable or particularly scarce car and if you desperately want one, there are plenty to choose from that are equal to that car. But to answer your question (Why would you do this?), there are several obvious reasons why this was done:

1) Profit. How much was the car worth as it sat or if they had tuned it up and made it run perfectly? $10,000? $12,000? Certainly not much more than that. How much was it worth when it was done? Probably quite a bit more than that. I don't know what they invested in the build and it's hard to make money doing that kind of stuff but I bet the car generated some profit for someone somewhere.

2) Entertainment. Whether the guys on TV make money building cars or not is academic, it's entertainment. The TV producers are bankrolling the build and the accompanying drama. How many good, clean used late-model 1968 Chevys were driven off of cliffs in high-speed pursuits in old movies? It's entertainment, nothing more.

3) Marketability. Yes, we love original cars, that's what this club is about. But they all can't be saved. That car was surely for sale and someone other than the TV show guys knew of its existence and availability. Why didn't someone "save" the car if it was so desirable? Would someone have bought it as it sat? I watch the market and talk to buyers every day and to be honest, there are so many cars out there that some are almost impossible to sell except for pennies on the dollar, and this might be one of them. Just because it's your personal favorite car doesn't mean it should be everyone's favorite, and yes, there's a demographic shift going on where people want modified cars and expect luxuries like fuel injection, overdrive transmissions, and air conditioning. They aren't buying the cars to experience what life was like in 1968, they're buying the cars because they like how they look and how they make them feel and because they like to have something unique (relatively speaking, of course). Tastes and expectations in the old car hobby are changing, like it or not.

We shed bitter tears and shake our fists at people who cut up good old cars, but unless someone steps up and puts their money on the line to rescue it, well, there isn't much to complain about if someone else does put their money on the line. It's like complaining about the government when you don't vote.

Some cars are offensive if they are cut up (the guys building rods from Full Classics, for example), but a mass-produced car with a top that doesn't go down and a garden-variety powertrain? Just because it's managed to exist for 50 years doesn't make it special. I've managed to exist for 45 years with all my original parts, but I'm hardly something unique or magical. Hell, I wouldn't mind an upgrade or two...

I agree with you when you say there are thousands of these cars so not to get too excited when they are modified. The problem is; these shows tell/teach everyone especially impressionable ones it's OK to do this on anything., and to do it all with bad manors and horseplay.

Just a note on Carini. Chasing Classic cars has done a few shows on Hot Rods so he is not immune from criticism. I will say this about his show. The civility of his show is the only one of these types of car shows I can actually watch from beginning to end. The rest of other shows give mechanic's / technicians and body and paint professionals a barbaric false image to the general public of personal appearance, dress, language and behavior.

It's posts like this that make me glad I can't afford cable-dish-etc. Just have regular TV by antenna ... no charge. Sure, I miss out on some sports & some great car shows, but ... I like watching the classic TV shows shown on ME-TV, Antenna-TV & COZI-TV ... if only for the vehicles. ;)

Cort :)www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve

"Don't tell me that it can't be done" __ Lorrie Morgan __ 'Watch Me'

I agree with you when you say there are thousands of these cars so not to get too excited when they are modified. The problem is; these shows tell/teach everyone especially impressionable ones it's OK to do this on anything., and to do it all with bad manors and horseplay.

Just a note on Carini. Chasing Classic cars has done a few shows on Hot Rods so he is not immune from criticism. I will say this about his show. The civility of his show is the only one of these types of car shows I can actually watch from beginning to end. The rest of other shows give mechanic's / technicians and body and paint professionals a barbaric false image to the general public of personal appearance, dress, language and behavior.

Hef.... I agree with you 100%. As a retired skilled tradesman and as a supervisor If I ever had a supervisor speak to me like the script depicts, I would pack up my tooks and respond with two words I rather not say here, demand for my owed pay and walk out the door. When I was a foreman if I spoke to any of my companies employees like they do in these shows, the workers would leave and I in turn would have been fired.

Graveyard Cars seems that the work is top shelf that they put out, but when he speaks about his employees and says they are dumb and can't be trusted, off it goes. WHY WOULD ANY RESTORATION SHOP LOOKING FOR WORK WANT THE FUTURE CUSTOMERS TO THINK THE PEOPLE WORKING FOR HIM ARE INCOMPETENT?

I agree with your comments on Carini, I enjoy it he is playing on the high side of the hobby but then again there is a high end in this hobby. He is looking to make money but they never say how much he buys it for or or how much he makes, sort of respectful and polite the real "reality" something missing from these other shows treating each other with respect

Again I asked this question in an earlier post on this thread and never got an answer.

"I do have a question based on your point that no none can answer; How come with any hobby that collects antique artifacts or machinery it would be considered blasphemy to destroy an original piece of furniture, or toy or any other mass produced antique object, and why has it become acceptable in ours?

We don't see anyone destroying the finish of a lithographed toy because they liked it better painted purple"

I am probably less qualified than others here to answer your question but I will stick in my two cents anyway. You have to go back to the early days of illegal road races where the young bloods of the time made their regular cars go faster than the original manufacturers intended. Back then, there was no problem with supply; the cars were just an everyday set of wheels and the guys made them go damn fast. Alongside the street racing was a history of out performing the traffic police; this had it's origin in the days of prohibition. This history was built on generation after generation until it became popular culture. We didn't just arrive here with the intention of destroying our motoring heritage just for the heck of it, the process has evolved out of social history. I hope that explains why, as I see it, America in particular, has such a strong following for what is essentially an unsustainable practise.

At one time the Rhino was a common animal in Africa but along the way, people decided it would be better if they chopped of it's horn. Now, it is facing extinction. Similar attitudes persist regarding "common" old cars.

Ray.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/30f86223/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Edited by R.White (see edit history)

People have been modifying rare furniture for 'EVER'. Just watch some of the road shows, and see where LEGS have been cut off, HINGES/PULLS changed, original finishes PAINTED over, so modifying is NOT NEW.

There isn't an answer to this thread QUESTION. Oh, I guess you could say, BECAUSE THEY CAN, WANT TO, ENJOY BEING DIFFERENT, AND MANY OTHER REASONS.

Each to his/her own,

Dale in Indy

I pulled up the auction results from Barrett-Jackson, sold for $50,600. The garage originally purchased it for $12K, not sure how much went into it.....

For sale at auction: Lot #1007.1 - This car was built by Gas Monkey Garage on Discovery's hit show "Fast N' Loud." This car was specifically built on the show to bring to the Barrett-Jackson auction. This car will be featured on an upcoming episode of "Fast N' Loud" in the spring season. The person that purchases the car will be given the opportunity to be filmed purchasing the car for this episode of "Fast N' Loud." This car was already a great platform to start with and in great condition. The exterior of the car has a nice paint job in the factory green color and black vinyl top. We have updated the factory taillights to a factory looking LED taillight. The look of the car has been updated and modernized. The car features all new suspension handled by Ride Tech suspension. It has a front strong arm setup with coilovers and new sway bar. The rear features strong arms with lowering springs, shocks, and sway bar as well. The brakes have been updated to Wilwood 14" rotors for the front with 6 piston calipers and 14" rotors in the rear with 4 piston calipers. The wheels are Intro billet aluminum wheels called the Ram with full polished treatment. The rears are a 22"x10" and the fronts are 20"x8.5" wrapped in Pirelli rubber. The drivetrain features a brand-new GM Performance Fast Burn ZZ5 crate motor rated at 385hp backed by a Powerglide transmission. The cooling system has been updated with a Ron Davis radiator and dual electric fans. This car has power steering, power brakes and air conditioning. The interior is very clean with a factory-looking black leather. This car is a driver and is ready to hit the streets. **TITLE IN TRANSIT**

Edited by steveimpala (see edit history)

People have been modifying rare furniture for 'EVER'. Just watch some of the road shows, and see where LEGS have been cut off, HINGES/PULLS changed, original finishes PAINTED over, so modifying is NOT NEW.

Also, we're talking about a high-production Chevy here, not a particularly rare car. This is more like modifying Ikea furniture, not Chippendale.

Amen Joe,

Oh, by the way, I'm taking an ORIGINAL 1946 BUICK GRILL and making a BOOM BOX out of it. HOPE I don't OFFEND anyone, hehe.

Dale in Indy

:cool:That depends on how loud you play it!

<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/30f86223/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>