WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS??

STEVE POLLARD

Yes I saw the show and I wanted to throw up. It's unfortunately a constant theme of these shows that cater to the ignorant, mindless boobs who like watching "self-proclaimed auto designers" with ape-like facial hair and ugly tattoos who swear a lot, make lots of sparks and chase those stupid fake deadlines. Shows like Fast & Loud (kinda says it all right there), Gearz, Counting Cars and all the rest have all the class of a paper cup. Arrogant morons - all of them.

I did not stay around to see how many thousands of dollars they made on these mutilations, but I hope he lost his ass on everyone one of them.

The bottom line is that they show no respect for anything, pathetic to say the least.

I do think an exceptionally good show is Wheeler Dealers in which you can watch a true master mechanic at work, Mr. Edd China. Love that show.

Edited by John_Mc (see edit history)

I do think an exceptionally good show is Wheeler Dealers in which you can watch a true master mechanic at work, Mr. Edd China. Love that show.

You make me feel a sense of pride, John!

Whilst I am not a great fan of Mr. Brewer and his particular style of presentation, I have to agree that in Wheeler Dealers, Ed China is indeed shown to be a master of his craft. He does have a few critics, though, but they tend to pick up on things which are inevitably beyond his control. There are plenty of armchair critics about; Ed just gets on with his work. "Job done as he would say!

I for one would be quite happy if they gave Ed China a programme of his own - one without all the buying and selling stuff which takes up so much time - and a programme which concentrates on the actual mechanical work that he explains so well.

Ray.

<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/5b38843e/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

You make me feel a sense of pride, John!

Whilst I am not a great fan of Mr. Brewer and his particular style of presentation, I have to agree that in Wheeler Dealers, Ed China is indeed shown to be a master of his craft. He does have a few critics, though, but they tend to pick up on things which are inevitably beyond his control. There are plenty of armchair critics about; Ed just gets on with his work. "Job done as he would say!

I for one would be quite happy if they gave Ed China a programme of his own - one without all the buying and selling stuff which takes up so much time - and a programme which concentrates on the actual mechanical work that he explains so well.

Ray.

<script src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/5b38843e/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

Ray, I think you will have to admit that wheeler dealers is just a fix up a car to turn a profit show. Brewer will sometimes say "restored" on a rattle can fix which has been done. Remember the Porsche 914 or that 1959 Cadillac. That's just turn around work.

Yes I get your point but I happen to like the utter enthusiasm that Mike brings to the show. His personality adds a great deal I think and while I enjoy watching Edd do his thing, a show with just him alone I think would lose a great deal. I love the chemistry between them and you can clearly see there is a genuine sense of affection there.

But what I really enjoy about the program is there are stupid deadlines, no bleeping, no throwing wrenches, no "artists with a torch" mutilations. Just bringing old cars back to enjoy.

Edd is a pro and I could watch that show all day long.

Plus as we all know the British are much smarter than we are.........at least sound that way!

Carry on now.

Before we continue, may I just say that my 'thing' about Mike Brewer's presentation has nothing to do with his abilities and everything to do with my narrow prejudices and inherited class bias. I wouldn't expect an American person to find my attitude acceptable or understandable and for that reason I offer my apologies.

As to the British being clever - well I don't know about that. We tend to have some very bright individuals and do well with ideas and inventions but it's always the Americans who see the potential for making the dream a reality. We have our share of freeloaders over here, I can tell you!

Ray.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/5b38843e/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Wheeler Dealers is about making a profit? I enjoy the show but they never figure labor into their cost. If they "sell a car on for a profit" that profit must come from TV rights cause they sure never even break even on the cars they do if you pay Ed even minimum wage.

Before we continue, may I just say that my 'thing' about Mike Brewer's presentation has nothing to do with his abilities and everything to do with my narrow prejudices and inherited class bias. I wouldn't expect an American person to find my attitude acceptable or understandable and for that reason I offer my apologies.

As to the British being clever - well I don't know about that. We tend to have some very bright individuals and do well with ideas and inventions but it's always the Americans who see the potential for making the dream a reality. We have our share of freeloaders over here, I can tell you!

Ray.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/5b38843e/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Gotta love a country that can't get the "jam, jelly, marmalade" continuum right.

Wheeler Dealers is about making a profit? I enjoy the show but they never figure labor into their cost. If they "sell a car on for a profit" that profit must come from TV rights cause they sure never even break even on the cars they do if you pay Ed even minimum wage.

I don't recall ever having seen labor costs figured into the overall cost of a restoration/modification on one of these "reality" car shows. Have I been missing something here (it's quite possible)?

Cheers,

Grog

I have always shouted at the screen when Brewer fails to factor in the labour costs.

Well, it makes me feel better....:)

Ray.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/5b38843e/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/5b38843e/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

There have been one or two programmes (over here) where the presenter invests his own money and takes a risk. It doesn't always work out though. In one case, an E type Jaguar restoration cost £85,000 but at the time it was only worth half when finished. Today it would, of course, be worth more than it cost to restore but it's always easy with the benefit of hind sight.