Hood ornament collectors?

benjamin j

Hi Terry 

correct , live in Southampton , beulieu auto jumble nearby

used to go to museum as have always loved classic cars , my dad always had a few ,mind you he didn't consider them classic cars they were his everyday transport ,used whichever he managed to keep running  , mostly 30s and 40s , ford 8 , hill mans , Jowett javelin ,

stardard 14 ,Vauxhall velox , Riley , singer, etc., used to drive them when he was at work , I was 13/14 

you obviously know the area .

cheers

pilgrim

Lived in Scotland for at least seven years and played with old cars the entire time.  Still have our 1935 Morris Eight.  Garage is full of MGs and a 1912 Triumph Motorcycle.  Added the 67 GTO and 1914 Model T just to round things out and cover both sides of the ocean.  Been to Beaulieu a few times and would love to get back again, although I know it's changed a bunch. I enjoy watching coverage on you-tube videos.  We've see a lot of the UK and have great memories, many of them old car related of course.  As an interesting side note, and just to stay on topic, when the late Bill Williams was working on his great book "Mascots of the world" we lined up an opportunity for him to visit several mascot collectors.  He was able to add several photographs and some detail to his book.  Mascots are a great thing to collect and there are so many of us who have a few lucky finds we're proud of.  I have a theory on collecting - anyone can have money if they work at it.  You have to have some great luck and work just as hard to have great stuff.  The money is soon spent, but you can enjoy the stuff. 

Terry

Cheers Terry , good memories !h

have another piece which  has  special memories for me .

I the 90s my company used to be sponsors for a top British rugby club Bath as sponsors we were invited to attend with officials a charity match between Bath and the British aircraft carrier HMS invincible , event included tour , match , captains dinner and night on board. I was given an officers cabin , very small with bulkhead about a foot above my head when laid on bunk, but appreciated as crews quarters can't have been as comfortable. Whilst having dinner with crew and players , jaguar cars who were also present presented the Captain with a new jaguar ,which  he drives when the ship is visiting foreign ports as part of British trademark abroad , however they also presented him a jaguar mascot which they said was one of the last to be made commemorating the game. The Captain being 'a proper chap' decided to auction it for the charity and I bought it for $500 .It was mounted on an engraved stand, which I have but prefer to display without . Probably not a good investment ,but I love it and will keep it, memory of a great week end.

cheers

pilgrim

image.jpeg

Interesting timing, I have two Packard chickens that I polished Sunday lying on the bench. I only have one Packard.

In 1985 I was a member of the Nash Club of America. At the time, the company I worked for was having boilers built in Keewanee, IL. A group of engineers had stayed in the Quad Cities once and I was accompanying the on a second trip for a progress and burner test. They told me how boring the Quad Cities were. I think the President of the Nash Car Club of America was named Dworshak, who lived in Iowa. I contacted him for recommendations on entertainment.. He recommended a person with a large hood ornament and badge collection and the Iowa Machine Shed restaurant.. We considered both and went to the Machine Shed the first night. On the way back, from the Interstate loop, we saw a sign for "Exotic Dancing". Well, we never did see the hood ornaments, so I guess in some instances it's not a high priority. It would have been nice to see both. I figured those badges came off cars to be junked anyway, no much different than having a barn full of cars to be restored and never restoring them.

Bernie

• Like 2

On January 15, 2014 at 5:18 PM, TerryB said:

I could never afford or store all the cars I liked so instead I collected parts and lots of literature. I felt I could own a small piece of automotive history without needing a big warehouse to store cars. I am finding now I went a little overboard in collecting literature but a lot of it is finding new homes to people on this forum. It was fun and relatively inexpensive. Same could be said for anyone who collects hood ornaments, nameplates, radiator emblems, ect. We found enjoyment in them and help provide a service by keeping them out of the trash and into the hands of those who want them.

Terry

Yep, this is my take on it, too.

After having to sell my cars a few years ago, now that I have a part-time job, I'm saving some money for scale models & other parts & literature.  At least it will keep me somewhat connected to vehicles.....

2-DAY EVENT ;) S Elgin IL, with restaurant & hotel discounts:
http://www.oldcarsstronghearts.com/2016/07/12/tuesday-trip-69/
"Welcome me to stay overnight" __ Ingrim Hill __ 'Will I Ever Make It Home?'

Agree Terry , I collect die cast models to, particularly shelby cobra 427, trouble is now have 3 grandsons all want to play with them , don't stand up well to treatment by 4 and 5 year olds , have had to get the super glue out ! Put back on a higher shelf!

cheers

pilgrim

I resemble that guy, the reason I collect emblems and hood ornaments is because I look at them as art, and I can't afford to buy dozens of cars... That said, I've never refused to send information or high quality pictures of my emblems to be used for reproduction purposes. Karla Maxwell made the most beautiful reproduction of a Chalmers-Detroit emblem several years ago using pictures of mine.

As far as I can see you still have not posted what you want to find, but automatically damming those people who enjoy a different way of collecting is pretty rude in my opinion. But don't worry, I have no problems sleeping...

15 minutes ago, vintagerodshop said:

I would totally steal that one, Take it home and enjoy it for my self in my private collection. :]

That one is also my favorite, but I fear that it would be expensive and require "high maintenance".  But it might be worth it!:D.

Politically Incorrect,

Grog

• 2 years later...
On 1/15/2014 at 10:45 AM, GLong said:

Like David [trimacar] said, when the cars were junked, many 'pretty' items were kept, as well as the tools, jacks, often taillights etc.

Does the idea of a tool collection also bother you? That someone has that rare item that you need for the completion your tool kit?

I have to say, that we all are 'collectors' of various parts and pieces. Or complete cars.

Does it bother you that there are several collectors 'out there' that have hundreds of cars in their personal collections ? Are these large collections depriving us mere mortals with limited funds of owning one of our dream cars ?

Personally, I feel like the guys with the really large collections are doing the hobby a service, keeping the cars from being 'hot-rodded' or otherwise ruined. There are only so many people with so much money to own and preserve old cars.

While I am definitely envious of the guys with the large collections and seemingly bottom-less pockets, I'm glad they do collect and preserve the cars.

How many stories have you heard of a nice old car [or worse, a really rare car] stored in a garage by an elderly person, who then passes away, and the car is bought by a local person, known to the car owner's family.. And the car is destroyed by being hot-rodded, ?

My take on this is that I'd rather see that car in a big collection than owned by a person and family that has no respect for it's historical significance and lets it be destroyed.

Greg L

I agree! We appreciate originality in our cars and have four beautiful hood ornaments that we deem as sculptures. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

hey tom99 I own a 1958 edsel citation. I have a rough hood ornament on my car now but it would be a dream to add a new one to my car. This car has been In my family for years. I was married in this car. I am trying my best to keep this car in the best condition as I can. It's an ongoing battle. Is this for sale? I would he honored if you were willing to let this amazing piece go. Thanks. 

On 1/16/2014 at 8:32 AM, Tom99 said:

One of my prize hood ornaments, is this 58 Edsel hood ornament, new, still in the box, with the reciept;

Picture027.jpg

If I remember correctly, in the movie Up in Smoke (1979), Cheech gets kicked out of his house and goes out to his VW bug where there is a Rolls Royce parked next to it.  So Cheech, rips off the Spirit of Ecstasy and mounts in on his VW!  Or maybe it's the grille he rips off and mounts on him VW.  Anyway, you are right, the car won't run right without the hood ornament.  My earliest memory of a hood ornament was in about 1952 when I looked at my mom's 1950 Pontiac with the amber Indian head on the hood.  I kind of have a hobby of collecting hood ornaments.  Since I'm a MoPar guy, I have two or three flying goddess ornaments for my 48 DeSoto, two chrome and a plastic lady. I also have a 46-48 Plymouth Mayflower, a 46 Dodge ram, and I'm looking for a Chrysler winged ornament and a 1952 DeSoto bust.    

I don't specifically collect hood ornaments but I do collect radiator emblems, threaded hubcaps, and serial number plates. I have heard complaints from people about this type of collecting "keeping car owners from finding the parts they need". I can tell you with a high level of certainty that there are a LOT more of these items around than there are cars to put them on. That said I have always made it my personal rule to only keep one best quality example of each piece and I created a retirement business to sell any duplicates, which has been pretty successful.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/rusty_packard/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

Edited by TexRiv_63
add link (see edit history)
  • Like 1

My parents collected hood ornaments, hub caps, radiator badges, and brass lights/horns. They were not financially strong, so their collection was small. I admired it greatly. But some years ago I sold a bunch of them...much to my regret today. But one hood ornament that was given to my Mom as a joke is rather intriguing. I've posted photos on the "What is it?" AACA forum, with no luck. It is a flapper in a bathing suit in a dancing pose. I think it may be French made. I mentioned it to Don Sommer one time when I met him at Carlisle, and he perked up immediately and asked me for photos. But that was decades ago, and I never did get around to sending that photo. My parents mounted it on a brand new-old-stock Hupmobile "wings" cap, and it is still there. I once found a photo of this exact ornament in a book, and read in the book's description of it that the flapper girl was standing on a leering man's face. I looked closely, and sure enough (I wonder if my parents ever noticed that?). But I have never since been able to find that book again, or any other reference to this ornament. Any ideas? 

IMG_0643.jpg

IMG_0646.jpg

Edited by lump (see edit history)

I think possibly a lot of us "collect collections" both automotive and non automotive related. Hood ornaments and mascots ( the latter more of a British description) and are indeed small works of art, small sculptures. The ones in the WWI to mid 1930s can be wonderfully detailed , especially those produced in Europe in brass or bronze. Ones $ goes so far - so restoring and owning a car and owning collections can be a $train on the wallet for most people. Everyone has their own form of self indulgent pleasure that when they view it or use it makes them recall the acquisition - how, when , where. , that can be reflected upon when times in your life are bad or sad, and can make you happy.

Many people won't understand the lure of collecting something, I live next to one of the oldest and best horse race tracks in the USA - Belmont Park , the 3rd leg of the famous Triple Crown annual horse rsce. Have lived here for 70 years. I have been to that track about 3 times total - all for anniversary events ( 75th anniversary of the track opening) usually have driven over in one of my pre war cars to celebrate the event I have never ever placed a bet. Wouldn't know how to don't care about it - I'd rather spend the $3 on some old rusty piece of junk or an old piece of paper the era of my cars.

If I have a hood ornament/mascot that I know fits a friends car and his is missing or in poor condition I am usually sympathetic to seeing the better mascot I have go on the car. Those that get annoyed at me because "you have a part for my car" also know I owned the part before they bought their car and most likely will long after they sell it. Depends upon the person. Do you trade someone your steak sandwich for their peanut butter & jelly one because they look undernourished?  I mentioned that on occasion and usually get people mad at me.

SO enjoy your "hunt" for what you like, try to buy the best you can so far as condition, be it a juke box, 78 rpm records, mascots, toys, screw on hubcaps, porcelain signs, sales material, etc.  yes , I have/like  all of that stuff - again I collect collections , not on purpose ( as an "investment" - yuch!!!!) but just because it is cool to look at.  Never to late to start.  Good hunting.

Edited by Walt G
mispelled word (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Interesting how old topics resurface!  Walt's wisdom on "collecting" is spot on.   The excitement of the hunt and the thrill of discovery are what drives many collectors.  While both of those are important, I also believe that sharing your collection(s) and the knowledge about what you collect is also essential to enjoyment.   I enjoy collecting many things besides specific car parts, and most of them are very generic objects representing the history of motoring as told through the objects left behind.  There is still a lot to discover though, and that's what excites me.  Each trip to Hershey is a treasure hunt that I look forward to tremendously.  

Lump, I've seen your mascot before but it does not appear in the reference works that I have at hand here.  have you checked to see if there are any markings under the base?   It's most certainly an aftermarket novelty piece, most likely British or French in origin.  I'm inclined to lean more to French though because of the humor of a scantily clad lady dancing on that leering man's face.  Such mascots are more often than not produced in France.  Hard to determine who made it, but there are some wonderful reference works that are long out of print that may provide more info.  Back in 2012, there was a post about mascot books written specifically for Pontiac, Packard, Hudson-Essex-Terraplane and Chrysler.

There are other books also, even some written many years ago in French text.   Good luck in your search for more info, and if you uncover anything let us know.

Terry

1 hour ago, Terry Bond said:

Interesting how old topics resurface!  Walt's wisdom on "collecting" is spot on.   The excitement of the hunt and the thrill of discovery are what drives many collectors.  While both of those are important, I also believe that sharing your collection(s) and the knowledge about what you collect is also essential to enjoyment.   I enjoy collecting many things besides specific car parts, and most of them are very generic objects representing the history of motoring as told through the objects left behind.  There is still a lot to discover though, and that's what excites me.  Each trip to Hershey is a treasure hunt that I look forward to tremendously.  

Lump, I've seen your mascot before but it does not appear in the reference works that I have at hand here.  have you checked to see if there are any markings under the base?   It's most certainly an aftermarket novelty piece, most likely British or French in origin.  I'm inclined to lean more to French though because of the humor of a scantily clad lady dancing on that leering man's face.  Such mascots are more often than not produced in France.  Hard to determine who made it, but there are some wonderful reference works that are long out of print that may provide more info.  Back in 2012, there was a post about mascot books written specifically for Pontiac, Packard, Hudson-Essex-Terraplane and Chrysler.

There are other books also, even some written many years ago in French text.   Good luck in your search for more info, and if you uncover anything let us know.

Terry

Terry, 

Thanks for the excellent reply. 

It's been frustrating trying to chase down this ornament, for years now. My parents got it from fellow AACA members as a bit of a joke, really. My mother studied vintage clothing, and made lots of period-correct costumes. And every time our Southern Ohio Chapter of AACA met someplace with swimming pool, our little family would all don antique swimwear, and jump in (some were mom's replicas, while others were real). Also, Mom got into the hubcaps, etc, even more than Dad. So club members would often wrap up a hubcap or hood ornament off of some junker that was only 4-5 years old, and present it to her with a great deal of laughter. Then, when one of them found this flapper girl in "swimwear" (looks more like lingerie to me!), they couldn't wait to give it to her. She went along with the joke, and mounted it on that winged Hupmobile cap, about 55 years ago or so. 

They always wondered if it might be a novelty automotive ornament, or if it was merely the top of a trophy or something. But a few years after it became mine, I found it in a book. And I remember it so very clearly in that book, because the caption mentioned the man's face, which I had never noticed before. 

Hopefully I will find it someday! 

Another point.... Those original hood ornament-mascots were often made of cheap zinc die cast metal, with nickel plating. And they were outside in the elements at all times. Consequently, many of the originals are either already in terrible condition, or are extremely weakened. I got mad one day and sold most of my mascot collection, when I looked inside my locked glass cabinet to see one mascot broken. It had simply broken at a thin spot from its own weight! And several others that I noticed were corroding (they had been in my family for about 50 years). At the time my wife and I needed some cash anyway, and a guy had been nagging me. So I sold them. 

The moral to this story is that, if you really want a good one for use on your car, the reproductions by Don Sommers are stainless steel, and an excellent choice. Not cheap, but neither is trying to repair/replate an original----which rarely looks right after restoration anyway. 

Nice collection, MoneyPit. I'm envious. 

• Like 3

I looked for several years to find an original hood ornament for my 1933 Graham, out of the blue a lady called me and said she had an NOS one she would sell me.  I still can not put it on the car it is too rare, I bought a reproduction one.  They are notorious for braking off by the feet, the NOS one is safely in my display cabinet. 

1336226768_1933GrahamFlyingLady.jpg.c122080827673fb40afb4cda970cf18c.jpg

20 hours ago, lump said:

Another point.... Those original hood ornament-mascots were often made of cheap zinc die cast metal, with nickel plating. And they were outside in the elements at all times. Consequently, many of the originals are either already in terrible condition, or are extremely weakened. I got mad one day and sold most of my mascot collection, when I looked inside my locked glass cabinet to see one mascot broken. It had simply broken at a thin spot from its own weight! And several others that I noticed were corroding (they had been in my family for about 50 years). At the time my wife and I needed some cash anyway, and a guy had been nagging me. So I sold them. 

Very true. Kind of like rust, old potmetal disease never stops working under the surface. I sold this Dodge Brothers mascot because it had one crack, thinking I would find a better one. I'm still looking many years later...

db2348f.JPG

• Like 2

I'm not a hood ornament collector, I started buying nos parts for my 1953 Pontiac chieftain custom catalina way back in 1977, no internet, just the Pontiac Oakland club international newsletter "the smoke signal", I bought a nos lighted hood ornament for $50.00 then, last year I bought a rechromed one as part of a parts collection. Here's both of them.

20180428_115328.jpg

• Like 1

I don’t know how my collection grew so far, and I’m a bit envious of it myself.

as for the DeVaux, my collection has been gaining momentum for a little over forty years and I have never once seen a mascot for one. That means it is a very scarce and desirable original if you should be so lucky as to find one. Looking at pictures online, my guess is that they break very easily between the body of the bird and the base even if it is a bronze casting. It’s just so thin an area for a rough road...

Yes that’s it,that one is a reproduction I know the car and the gentleman now deceased,I bought my first devaux in1970  and seen the mascot at harrahs a month or so later,I have been looking for one ever since,the mascot cost. A couple dollars in 1931,, and I don’t think a lot of them wheresold,years ago I talked to Howard reinke  in Michigan he was the most knowledgeable devaux guy,he said he found a couple at Hershey over the years, but I can honestly say I’ve never seen one for sale,    Dave

When i was Young ..very young i lived right across from one of the now call junk yards ... it was so big..infarct it was consider one the biggest in south America at one point .

i used to get out of school and RUN across the street or that was call hwy ( single lane ) because it was located about 11.5 km off the downtown point area.

and many time i had to walk home  all the way from school ,so the 11.5 km was a painful reminder that this day i wont be able to play with cars..!

I remember round windshields and ALL kinds of dash boards in my mind .

My Dad was A lucky guy since he inherit a big chunk of land , so hi was a well known guy in town , and THAT kept me out of trouble most of the times..

But the nice's part was when i ask my dad one time , if i could spend the day with him , it was summer break, so he had no excused to say no, and that day he took me nothing less that ACROSS the street to the main office of this Junk yard, the junk yard guy apparently want it to buy a piece of land from my dad ..

so i was very excited to go, can you imagine that..!  

so i'm going to explain first the size of this junk yard...

our home was located up from the street level , something like a semi truck high or 20-30 feet above the street level .. we had stairs to go up from the side walk.

and on the other side of the street or hwy , the terrain was the opposite , it when down 20-30 feet  from the street level .

so here's the awesome part.. the field of cars where 2.5 hectares big..! and the stack of cars pile up on top of each other surpassing the top of our home..!!!!

It was a building of cars piled up..!! crazy that i was not killed by falling from climbing those cars...

So back to getting into the office and section where they crush and dismantle parts out of the cars..

when my dad and I got into the office , i couldn't believe it.. the hole room and the next office wall was fill with radiators mascots and ornaments...! something i will not forget ever..!

In fact .. about 10 yrs ago , i had the chance and desire to find the now LONG gone junk yard , and have a look on our home as well.. just to find that the blond kid i used to see there working in the yard was one of the son's and i was able to ask about the entire operations and what ever happen to ALL of the parts..

well like always happens,  the parts where sold to collectors from USA and EUROPE, but it was very interesting knowing that it was not a dream ..! my wonderful years as a child where spend on cars too..!

i only regret one thing... not be able to find a picture of my childhood with this junk yard..!

Apolo

• Like 2