need to know how to fix up cars

Guest stevengiannino

Guest stevengiannino

i am new to this and i love cars and want to learn how to fix up cars. Does anyone now what books i can read to help me learn more about it?:)

Are you wanting to learn mechanics or body work? There is usually a shop manual available for nearly any car and there are some like the "MoToRs" repair manual that covers a bunch of cars, mechanically speaking. There are also books regarding full restorations or small component restorations. This is where Google is your friend. Any specific time period you are looking for?

Guest stevengiannino

Um i am looking to learn mechanics and the time period is 1950's. My uncle has a lot of old cars and i always wanted to work on cars so i am starting now and Know a little. Would it be worth it if i go to a tech school as well?

Vocational auto shops and tech schools are more for the newer technology. If you want to learn about older cars, you will have to get some early books or hang around guys with cars who are willing to teach/mentor as tom_in_nh offered.

Guest myold88

Back when I was in high school we had wood shop, metal shop and auto shop. 3 separate rooms with one teacher who was also the drivers-ed teacher. I took all 3 for 3 years in row. Today our town school has no shop classes plus drivers-ed is a few hundred dollars. We all know where all the money goes now. Steven- I don't know your age so I can only suggest you try to hook up with someone in your area. How about a local car club ? I know our local club would take you in and get you started with one of our members who is restoring a car if you were local.

Edited by myold88 (see edit history)

You're 18, according to your profile. I'd suggest adult night school, if it's available in your area. We have it here at the local Vo-Tech school. I took auto body when I was 19, and that was very useful. In fact, I wrecked my father's Oldsmobile during the course, and we fixed the damage in class! You can also take mechanics. True, modern cars are different, but the principles are the same as the '50s. I hope your uncle encourages you. Would he let you mess around with one of his cars? Start with simple stuff like oil change, pulling wheels to check brakes, flushing coolant, etc. Find one you like and get the service manual. Also, join a club that specializes in that car. You will find guys willing to help you once they know you're serious. There is a lot of activity in central Jersey. I'm sure some of our members are near you, and will help you out.

Phil

Find a shop that restores the kind of cars and engines you want to learn about. Ask them if you can apprentice to their experts. You can read books but that only gets you so far - actually working with an expert is worth more than a shelf full of books or years worth of vocational education.

i am new to this and i love cars and want to learn how to fix up cars. Does anyone now what books i can read to help me learn more about it?:)

Here ae two of the more popular books on the subject that are currently in print:

http://www.amazon.com/How-Restore-Your-Collector-Car/dp/0760335419/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1389502967&sr=1-1&keywords=car+restoration

post-30638-143142345245_thumb.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Idiots-Guide-Restoring-Collector/dp/1592572340/ref=sr_1_15?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1389502967&sr=1-15&keywords=car+restoration

post-30638-143142345247_thumb.jpg

Either one should be available locally, or at least through an inter-library loan at your local library.

If you have a specific car in mind, it would be better to look for a book specifically on that marque like:

http://www.amazon.com/Restore-Triumph-Enthusiasts-Restoration-Manual/dp/1903706467/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1389503316&sr=1-3&keywords=triumph+tr6+restoration

post-30638-143142345242_thumb.jpg

Take your time and have fun. This is definitely one of those areas where the hunt is at least as fun as the kill! :cool:

Hands on experience is 100x more valuable than book learning.. In fact a lot of book learning won't make any sense at all unless you have hands-on experience on the subject of the book's lessons or information.

Keep an eye on the forums. See if you can find someone near you who could use some help. Volunteer to help.

I know in my area, there are several guys who don't get around as well as they used to, and would welcome a few hours of help every now and then, and some who could employ someone for a whole summer, finishing the reassembly of a car or truck..

I learned starting at about 8 years old by helping my father put wrecked cars back together. He'd buy insurance totals, we'd do the work, paint and regular maintenance. Then drive 'em for a year or two, then buy another, sell the old one. From this hands on experience, I learned a lifetime skill and basis for automobile collecting.

When I wanted to take auto shop in High school, they required starting with the first in the series of classes, this was small engine repair.. like Briggs and Stratton's, etc.. When I was 12, I had an at home extension of the local lawnmower repair shop. I asked the shop teacher if I could just take the final exam for the small engine class. I did, and passed, but he still wouldn't let me start with a more advanced class.. I took chemistry and biology instead..

As mentioned by others. use google, check into local car clubs, find one or two that you like, and volunteer to help.. Soon you will have more offers to learn than you can handle..

Greg L.

Edited by GLong (see edit history)

I would join your local AACA. Then, make friends with the members - let them know you are for real. Offer to help out anyone working on 50's cars. You'll be an extra hand in order to gain knowledge.

That's how I learned to work on Franklins. My mentor was getting too old to do the physical stuff, so I was his extra pair of hands (and muscles). The knowledge I gained was priceless.

Words of caution - you have to first earn people's trust. You can't just go in and expect someone to open their garage to you. Also, be prepared to do a lot of grunt work and deal with cranky people. You have to put in your dues.

I agree with RansomEli. Find a local car club and join and get involved. Car guys are always looking for new young members to keep the hobby going. Help guys out with their projects. You will have fun and learn. If your interest is in 50's cars check out the Jalopy Journal and HAMB as well as looking for a club where the members own cars of that vintage. Our local car club lets high school age guys join for free and offers a scholarship for students in automotive educational programs. Here's a link: http://www.jalopyjournal.com

Steve, buy a car, take it apart and try to put it back together.

When you fail, ask for help from a person at a car show or nightly cruse-in.

If you show your greasy finger nails and bruised knuckles, they will be glad to help.

To many mechanically inclined persons, books will not come close to hands on experience.

Many schools are a waste of time in this field, I was an adviser at one and I could see that the students were bored with the books and the teachers wouldn't let then touch the cars in fear of doing something wrong.

You will never know how easily something will break until you break it, lesson learned!

PS. to continue this post, click "reply to thread" at the bottom of the page.

Edited by Roger Walling (see edit history)

Guest stevengiannino

Thanks for the advice it really helps out. I am right now in high school/votech, I go half day to both schools.right now I am studying to be a hvac personnel but on the down time I am looking to work on old cars. I am planning on after I am out of school to go to a auto shop class to learn cars . I am also planning on got to a car club too. My uncle told me he will help me the best I can but since he lives far it will be a little tuff. Right now I am under taking a project to my 2004 sonata to put in a rear view camera and I hope it goes well. Is there anything else I should look at for help to start my hobby.

Theres a lot more to 'old cars' than mechanical. You won't be able to take an old car and fix it with some wrench time, you'll have to learn to weld, use a milling machine or a lathe. Just to learn to shape sheetmetal can take years.

Theres lots of different things you'll need to know to do an old car, don't limit yourself when it comes to learning.

i lived in Ringoes N.J. til 8 yrs ago when i moved to SC. there are tons of shows & cruizes in cent. jersey. Attend, look, see cars you like & talk to owners. most if they are like me will give info & and try to lead you in right direction. there are cruize ins every day of the week & shows every weekend.

Guest stevengiannino
i lived in Ringoes N.J. til 8 yrs ago when i moved to SC. there are tons of shows & cruizes in cent. jersey. Attend, look, see cars you like & talk to owners. most if they are like me will give info & and try to lead you in right direction. there are cruize ins every day of the week & shows every weekend.

Were you in a car club? And which ones would you recomend. and do you remember the website that shows dates of car shows and cruize ins.

If you haven't done any wrench turning at all I think (as mentioned above) learning to do routine maintenance on your (or family) daily driver. That's where I started learning just changing oil, spark plugs, etc. If you have done that kind of thing then getting and old beater and learning to repair it is another way if you plan on it as a hobby. A car club is a good idea too where you can put the word out you're looking for a late 50's, early 60's fixer upper. You should be able to find something like this where you are: http://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/4270352253.html

Guest stevengiannino

It looks like there is a car show next week so looks like I am going there. I cant wait to start looking at cars and start helping people out a little.

If you are interested in purchasing a Motors repair manual, let me know as I have quite a few that I am looking to sell. I will give you a very good price on one as I am all in favor of helping a young person get started in this hobby. Send me a Personal Message (PM) and we can discuss.

Terry Boyer

Lititz PA

Steven, years ago cars came with an item called a "crank." It was very handy for starting a stubborn car; especially one without a self starter. Cranks still exist today but they do not make good mentors for a young man trying to further his knowledge of a subject. However, good mentors are out there. I hope you find a mentor you can work with. He, or she, would make an invaluable ally. When I went to work at Westvaco the paper machines were staffed with cranks that expected you to know how to do everything but had no interest in showing you how to do anything. I guess they had a concern about job security. Eventually, after they decided I had proved myself, many of them became good friends and we worked well together for many years. Good luck finding a mentor.

Thanks for the advice it really helps out. I am right now in high school/votech, I go half day to both schools.right now I am studying to be a hvac personnel but on the down time I am looking to work on old cars. I am planning on after I am out of school to go to a auto shop class to learn cars . I am also planning on got to a car club too. My uncle told me he will help me the best I can but since he lives far it will be a little tuff. Right now I am under taking a project to my 2004 sonata to put in a rear view camera and I hope it goes well. Is there anything else I should look at for help to start my hobby.

At least you are already working with tools........down the road I expect you'll run into a few tools of a human nature too....... :P

I wish there was a young guy around here I could help out.......I'd be only too happy to have someone share dirty hands working on my jun.......er........priceless vehicles....... LOL

When I was 15 I took all of the money I had saved from mowing lawns and raking leaves and bought a 1966 Plymouth Belvedere convertible for $95 after hitch hiking 15 miles to see it. One of the highlights of my life learning to drive on the way home. The best experience is hands on. You say your uncle has a lot of old cars? Have you talked to him ? Does he have an old project car he has lost interest in? Maybe you can work it off or make payments to him. Either way, hands on experience is by far the best way to learn. Buy something you like and start fixing. It's that easy.

I would skip the car club route. They are usually a little clickish and aren't much interested in you if you don't have a car. When I was 16 I contacted the local tri five Chevy club to help me look over a 1959 Impala 348 coupe I had located in a garage. The body was straight, no rust, original paint but the interior was toast, ran $600. The two club members told me it was not a good car, would take too much to fix and was a waste of time so we left. I was still in love with those fins and decided to buy the car anyway. I went back the next day and found out that the two car club guys I had asked for help had come back later that night and bought the car out from under me. Lesson learned.

Guest 27chevtruck

I find the best way to learn by just going out and doing what needs to be done, if u have a project in mind. But I guss my question is what do u want to learn. I,m in college now for restoring old cars and Iv self taught myself most of what I did before that there's really no wrong way unless u break something. But as far as books go try the car manuals,and service manuals alot can still be found. I found originals for my 1927 Chevy capital. As far as all makes and models I have a book I got on Amazon of all USA makes and models made pre war, I believe its called standard catalog of America cars 1805-1942 if u like pre war stuff.

Sent from my HUAWEI H883G using Tapatalk

LOL @ john2dameron and cahartley! Too true unfortunately, and karguy's story is just sad. But, you run into people like that all thru life, in both work and leisure time.

Car shows and cruise nights are a good place to start. Be enthusiastic, but polite and not pesky. Most folks are only too happy to talk cars with someone they realise is genuinely interested and wants to learn. A real find is an old car guy who owns several different makes and types of cars, since that means they're open to anything and not just one particular car (I know I'll ruffle some feathers, but in my experience Tri-Five Chevy guys are notoriously one-trick pony car people- that's all they're interested in).

The last few weeks I've been going to a different grocery store. There's a 19-year-old stockboy working there who is a gearhead. Intelligent guy and knowledgeable about mostly Chevrolets, but eager to learn about anything. This kid is taking auto body at local tech school as well as working at both the grocery and a local salvage yard. He's a true pleasure to talk with and you can tell he takes a lot of pride in his work. He'll be on my shortlist next time I need paint work.

Guest stevengiannino

Right now since i dont know so much i was thinking of just finding someone to learn under or go to my uncle for lessons. My uncle is the one who got me into this he shows me cars he had and has making me want to work on them. So now That I am 18 I want to start working on them. The first car I was thinking about was maby a 1950s mustang since i can get the parts easy. What do you think about it. Would be good to get some input.:cool:

Right now since i dont know so much i was thinking of just finding someone to learn under or go to my uncle for lessons. My uncle is the one who got me into this he shows me cars he had and has making me want to work on them. So now That I am 18 I want to start working on them. The first car I was thinking about was maby a 1950s mustang since i can get the parts easy. What do you think about it. Would be good to get some input.:cool:

1st lesson....there is no such thing as a '50s Mustang.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Mustang

Guest stevengiannino
not a club member. i dont remember the name of the website but type car shows in n.j. if i was at my desktop i could look it up. there were shows in edison. no.brunswick,manville.califon. princeton.flemington,etc.

I think there is one next week in south jersey i just got to make sure i dont have anything to do.

Actually there was a 1950's era Mustang. It has two wheels and was built in California. Also the first US motorcycle to have telescoping forks.

Terry

Yep....I guess I gotta be more specific. FORD Mustang.