What to expect if the weather is bad.

stev1955

With Wednesday being nice and dry and alot of vendors holding out for most of Thursday with a few braving it through Friday a bad week at Hershey is better than a nice week at home.

I bought alot on Wednesday. I even managed to buy more than I expected on Thursday and Friday (I'll post my annual photo later today). My only complaint is seeing quite a few vendors covering up from 3:30 or so on Wednesday when they were calling for bad weather Thursday and Friday. I would have atleast stayed open until 5:00. When several vendors in one row close down kind of early it really hurts the vendors that are left. Many people as I probably pass the rows with only a few vendors open hoping to maximize the shopping time left.

I was also surprised by the number of high end 30's-40's convertibles especially with tan tops in the 100,000 plus range in the pouring rain with no type of cover or protection on them especially on Friday. All I can think of is wet interiors and stained tops. I was really surprised by a 35 or 36 Ford Phaeton with the side curtains laying on the seats, not on the car. You could see the water beaded up on the seats where it had run down them.

Maybe I'm just to particular with my cars. I would have atleast had one of the 10.00 disposable clear shop covers on it.

I can't wait for hershey next year. We already booked the room.

So sorry to hear about the rain out in PA. AACA puts so much time/effort into an event like that. Kinda reminds me of when I went

to the Grand National this year in Moline. Rain takes a lot of the fun out of the event. Not much we can do about it. Larry

Just got back from the Saturday car show at Hershey. The weather was excellent today; in the 60's with some sun. Not as many cars on display, but a nice selection. The rains eliminated the stone dust on the field, too. I saw one guy with his whole family detailing a big touring car. Another, having just emerged from the restoration shop, retained the odor of lacquer thinner. Verdict: Hershey 50% clear and 50% wet. Could have been worse!

Phil

Well, I never would have thunk it, I was a doubter, but as the Monkees sang, I'm a believer. When I got to the show field at around 7 am today, I was stunned to find that it was pretty much damn well normal! I don't think I'm overstating it, but one would have been hard pressed to see even one area of the show field that suffered from the rains these past two days. And, I did walk the majority of the show field, as since there were less cars, it afforded me the opportunity to walk around and take pictures of pretty much all of the cars I wanted to from all of the classes I am interested in, to one degree or another.

Not trying to overstate it, I swear, but someone else who attended today--tell me, would you have noticed that there was anywhere from 5 to 10 inches of the rain in the greater Hershey area since late Wednesday night? The people who said that it was formerly a golf course, and drained very well, were right on target.

I, too, was a proponent of having the show on blacktop, unless one could absolutlely guarantee that there would be no rain or weather issues whatsoever that would comprimise the show field. But now, I can make this assessment--if this field can come out in as stellar condition after a torrential rain event, and have just an overnight for the field to dry, then I am very confident about any shows being held at that location. One would have thought that the AACA Hershey Region had rented helicopters to buzz the showfield and remove the moisture.

This show came out smelling like a rose...

Friday was the day I showed up yes in all the rain, well I thought I went back in time ! Arrived at the parking and saw tractors pulling out motorhomes out of the mud !!!!!

I did run the flea market for about 2 hours found a few things ,returned to my jeep to find to be blocked in by a stuck car. wiggled out my jeep got out the tow strap pulled him to wet pavement, how cool is that!!!!!

Home now jeep still wearing the Hershey mud like a badge of honnor

SATURDAY'S SHOW FIELD WAS PERFECT!

BLUE SKY! SHORT SLEEVES! NO RAIN! NOT A SINGLE POUND OF MUD!

I figured I would be showing a car--according to

an earlier forecast, in drizzle; according to my fears,

in gravel- and straw-filled mud ruts. But there was

sunny sky and such a well-drained field that no one

would have guessed that there was a deluge the past

two days!

It was beautiful weather and a great car show.

I'd say half of the cars stayed home, fearful of the worst;

but other than that, conditions on the show field were

absolutely PERFECT!

Let's remember this the next time we have rains.

I would agree that the condition of the show field was amazing considering the amount of rain from the two prior days. I never expected to get our car out of the trailer on Saturday morning. But after driving up and checking the field early in the morning we went back and unloaded the car and hit the field. It was nice to see so many early cars on the field.

I posted a set of pictures in another thread under the Hershey Meet section --> http://forums.aaca.org/f228/2013-hershey-fall-meet-car-show-360686.html

Friday was the day I showed up yes in all the rain, well I thought I went back in time ! Arrived at the parking and saw tractors pulling out motorhomes out of the mud !!!!!

It wasn't rain Melvin, those were the tears of the late great Howard Scotland.....

Our first Hershey without Howard sure wasn't easy for me, and the liquid coming down made it even harder.....

Howard, if I ever find out that it was another liquid other than tears getting my feet wet, I will get even....:D:D

John, well said. 9.74 inches of rain and virtually ideal conditions on the field. No dust! We now have confirmed what we have been saying for years that this former golf course property drains very well. Wish more had stayed for the show but very thankful to all who did.

Steve, you have been telling us for years about how the show field should drain well being an old golf course. We of little faith had to see it to believe it and we/me are now truly BELIEVERS.

On my way to Hershey on Friday I had to change a flat tire on my trailer in the rain and deal with with numerous flooded sections of Route 322 and other roads. All that did not matter since this is Fall Hershey and you do what you gotta do. The GREAT weather on Saturday, the nice, firm, show field, the GREAT cars that were there and the friends I saw made for another memorable Hershey experience. Hopefully next year I will have more time in my schedule to spend at Hershey.

Thanks to Hershey Region for a job well done. Thanks as well to all the judges, spectators and most of all thanks to the car owners who took a chance like me and brought out their fine vehicles.

I came as a spectator this year, no show field or flea market spot. What was the HERCO spectator lot like on Saturday? Thursday afternoon,when the rain began to come down hard, it was getting muddy in some spots. With 9 inches of rain after that, I would think the field would get pretty bad.

Guest my3buicks
post-30591-143142234183_thumb.jpg It was soupy in places, I parked in the section right across the road from the show area Saturday and there were sections that were bad but when I left around 2, I didn't see anyone stuck or swamped. First thing I did when I got home was run the car through the car wash as the wheels, tires and lower side was mud covered. For as much rain that fell, it sure could have been a lot worse. LOL, and by the way, that is really not my car. I am glad I made the executive decision Thursday night to leave the Reatta convertible home and to drive the SUV, even the flooding we drove through on Friday morning may have been a little much for it. Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

We have been to Hershey for years,vending 5 years.We stayed open till 3 or 4pm Saturday.It is a shame that many venders close .Come prepared for all kinds weather .It only happens 1 time a year.The show field was great.Great Hershey again,as I am sneezing from a cold.A great big way to go.Folks come from all over the world to see this,not empty spaces?

Edited by old car fan (see edit history)

It was disappointing to see so many vendors leave or not open on Friday, but the die-hards were still there. I put my rain suit and boots on Friday and walked around all morning; saw a couple of people I wanted to see and found another set of turbine style optional wheel covers for my LTD. I have a feeling I was the first and only sale the vendor had all morning - and I wouldn't have found the wheel covers if he had not been using them to hold down the tarp on the rest of his wares. Unfortunately, my boots have seen better days I guess so I gave up at noon and went back to my motel to change. My feet were wet and even my pant legs were wet half-way up my legs. I changed, had lunch and drove back to the museum - which is where I usually am on the Friday afternoon of Hershey. I think the worst of the rain came on my drive back to Harrisburg after I left the museum. Was pleased to wake up Saturday morning and not see rain. I entered my car in the show for the first time and had a blast all day. The weather was perfect, not too hot, not too cold and no precipitation.

Edited by John_Maine (see edit history)