Tri Five Chevy. Which is the Best Styled

Guest BJM

These cars are the the most popular post war vehicle based on pop culture and their aura. Some could argue 65 Mustang and others. I have always liked the 56 Chevy Bel Air 2 door hardtop and felt if I could get one of these cars, this would be the one. 2nd on my list would be the 55 Bel Air 2 door hardtop and finally the 57 Chevy Bel Air convertible. But, it is generally well known that the "57 Chevy" is regarded as one of the all time best vehicles, using bets however one wants. I think - it's popular for the same reason some people like a musical act. Because it "caught on" and others liked it (see: Beatles, Elvis, Justin Bieber, etc) The 57 Chevy has proportions that can't hang with the 56 and 55. The front grille is all bumper. The 56 adds just the right amount of tail fin and headlight hood that the 55 might lack. The 55 is super clean and looks better then the other 2 in monotone. But, what do you guys think? Is the 57 Chevy better styled then the 55-56's and if so, please provide some constructive criticism and commentary. Why do you like one year over the other?

55 has best overall balance of proportions. 57 is just another finned wannabe. I actually like all three but fit and finish wise they all are cheaply built rust buckets. That's my story and I'm sticking to it............Bob

EACH of the Tri-Fives have their desireable styling features . . . I'm not considering the mechanical/engine aspects as that's a whole 'nuther situation. The styling of the '55 is special, for sure. The combination of shapes and accent chrome makes it what it was and is. But when I saw the '56s, they were IT, for me. In the aspects the '55 was "plain", the '56 was "upscale", especially the BelAir models.

'57s have LOTS of interesting shapes and treatments, too! Another unique car, for sure, and when the combination of "upgrade" powertrain choices, the total combination of those things all combine to give it the iconic status it has achieved.

The Chevrolet nameplate achieved a "specialness" about it starting in '55, it seems. There was a magic in the advertising that made it into "America's Car" from what it had previously been as a more mundane entry-level brand for GM. Many of those '55-era television ads are on YouTUBE and they are neat to watch . . . although I got a little tired of the use of the word "MotoRamic". There are also many of the '55-'57 era print ads in various places on the Internet, too!

In looking at the basic shapes of the bodies, the '55-'56s were really "basic" shapes with few sharp creases or feature lines. It was the "good" basic shape, plus the chrome moldings and use of multiple body colors which could make the same car either mundane or really spiffy. Same with the choice of optional equipment too! The interior trim fabrics and designs were masterful in execution (as were almost EVERY other car from GM, Ford, and Chrysler back then!!!!). The cars were light-years ahead of the '54 models in so many ways, and especially the '51 models.

I suspect the '57 models were upgraded to better keep pace with the other GM divisions, which also upgraded for '57. And then there was the proposed '57 Chevy show car that was a knock-off of the Cadillac Eldorado's styling! And we thought the '65 Caprice was the first time Chevy challenged Cadillac for those things!

Still, though, I rank the '56 BelAir as the prettiest one of the bunch . . . no matter which body style. Just as I like the '66 Mustang better than the '64 1/2-'65 model . . . for the same reasons as I like the '56 Chevy better than the '55.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Guest billybird

I'm partial to the '56 convertible. In my eye the '55 grille is too flat. My choices in order would be; '56, '57, '55.

The '55 is a nice unified design that looks like it all goes together. The '56 has the best looking grille and tail lights but I have mixed emotions about the side trim on the Bel Air. Still the '56 Bel Air convertible is a handsome car. The '57, in my opinion is a mixed up hodge-podge where no part of it seems to go with anything else. That gaping shark mouth of a grille is one of the worst grilles ever put on a car. The front and the rear of the car are totally mismatched plus the top looks like it was designed to be used on another car. The worst thing of all may be the trim on the side of the Bel Air. It looks like some one modified a leaf rake and glued it on the side. UGH!!!!!!! At least the '58 Impala was a huge improvement as was the '59 Impala. My favorite Chevys of the '50's would be a '55 Nomad, a '58 convertible, a '59 convertible, a '54 Bel Air 2-door sedan and a '54 Station wagon. The '54 with an improved grille and tail lights was such a great improvement on the '53. Then I guess I would return to the Tri-Fives and take a '55 convertible and a 210 2-door hardtop.

Guest Classic50s

Having and working on and owned several 54s, 55s, 56s, and 57s, plus a 58 it comes down to personal taste. To put it in a list of pro and con.

Pro: great sound with the 3 speed manual, better construction quality

con: last babbitt inline 6 in the 3 speed cars so keep rpm low, not quite the 50s styling everyone connects with, no factory v8 yet

Pro: great restyle, first year for 265, great following

con: quality down from 54, several issues with the 265 that haven't been ironed out in time

Pro: most problems with 265 resolved, refined style, quality up a bit from 55

con: the 'forgotten' child of the tri5, not much more then refined 55

Pro: first year of 283, steamlined style with taste, not a restyled 55 or 56, quality up from 56, turboglide option

con: watered down due to extreme following, to many customs that ruin the environment for factory 57s, to little to late to compete with the revolutionary MoPar line up that caught GM of guard

Pro: Chevy chrome lovers favorite, first year of 348, one year styling, finally changed suspension to improve ride quality

con: more prone to rust then the 57, those who don't like chrome don't tend to like the 58s, bigger and heavier then the 57s

That is how I would sum it up.

I think the same question could be asked "Which of your three children do you like best?" They're from the same family and they're all related. They look enough alike to be known siblings but each has its own personality. Can you really chose?

Wow, to each his own! I DON'T like the 56 because of the taillights and the full width grille. I love the 55 because of the grille and the dash design. If I were to own any of them it would be a 57 BelAir 2dr hardtop or Nomad, I've always liked the rear fins/trim and headlight brows but the instrument panel really lost something on the 57.

As a college junior in the fall of 1962, I found and bought my 1956 Bel-air convertible. It was the Crocus and Onyx (yellow front and black accented rear) with a white convertible top. The Power-Pak option gave me the 265 ci V-8 with the 4-bbl carb, high lift cam, and dual exhausts. Even with the Power-glide 2-speed automatic transmission it was a really quick car, and handling was surprisingly agile with no need for power steering or power brakes. It always looked as if it were smiling, especially at the young ladies who were always ready to go for a ride and enjoy the sunshine, and sing along while the radio played serious Doo-Wop. While I planned to keep the '56 forever, a white '58 Impala convertible teased me - kept letting me take down her top - and I said goodbye to that lovely little '56. Had I known then what I know now, I would have built a huge garage and kept them all . We grow too soon old, and too late smart.....

For my opinion, I always liked the clean lines of the 1956 Bel-air convertible best, especially for the wide, simple, lovely grille, and second choice would be the '55. While I respect the general opinion of others, the '57 was not the top of my personal list, but that was the year that Dad bought his first new car - a '57 Plymouth - the "Forward Look - Suddenly It's 1960", with Torsion-Aire ride, a 301 ci V-8, and Power-Flyte.

Wow, all over the map with excellent AACA forum-ers comments. I wondered if time had yielded more favor toward the 55-56's, even though 57 was the one most often mentioned. I like the 55 eggcrate grille the best. 56 grille not an improvement but still very nice. I read carefully the comments about styling proportion. And as mentioned, color was HUGE. The blending of colors on 55-57 Chevy's make or break the car and actually are more tasteful in my opinion, then other cars. That is in part due to the crease lines which allow bi-color schemes. Some makes, Buick and Oldsmobile most notably, were forced to deal with coves and sweepspears in those years. No correct answers of course, but it is interesting to see the comments "in the rear view mirror" now that the tri-fives are well saturated and up in years.

Guest Skyking

I like all three equally. I got my license in 1962 and my uncle was selling his 7 yr old '55 Chevy convertible for $150.00 that he bought brand new. I wanted so bad to buy that car but my father insisted that it was an old piece of junk. Imagine that!! Anyway, a friend of mine bought it and still owns it today. I would probably still have it too..............:(

The '55, hands down!

Based on styling I would tend to agree. But every time I see one I'm impressed with the color palate that was available in 1956. It was a massive improvement over the '55.

Both of those years I think are better looking that the iconic '57, especially since they still had 15" wheels. The 14" are just too small for the '57 body (and are downright silly on the '58s).

If I were to drive one every day, it would be a yellow over copper '56 BelAir for sure.

and of course, the best looking one is...........the one that looks best to You. The '57 sure has taken on an iconic state, despite the fact that it was a rolling anachronism in comparison to the '57 Plymouth. The build quality was superior on the Chevrolet, without a doubt. '57 Mopar bodies look wonderful, but that year marks the first year Chrysler designed and built all of their own bodies, and showed what they didn't understand.

True, the '57 is SO hard to find today in stock form. Last year I went to the Woodward Dream Cruise (AKA "Nightmare crawl") and saw a stunning turquoise '57 Bel Air convertible parked in a lot. It stood out in the noise of "personalized" '57s and there must have been 25 or 30 that I saw just in a few hours.</SPAN>

Edited by mrpushbutton
dsylexic numbers (see edit history)

i owned a 1956 chevy 150 business coupe when i was 19 in 1975, i like the way chevy hid the gas cap and filler neck behind the left rear taillight. i really like the clean styling of the 1955 belair two door hardtop. but i prefer the better quality and better engineering of the 1955 pontiac, better frame and suspension, better design engine, hydra-matic. chevy got to steal pontiac's design of the stud mounted ball and rockers, lifters and pushrod design to use on the chevy 265. the pontiac and oldsmobile got the bullet proof 9.3 rearend in 1957. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

Put a '55, '56, or '57 Studebaker Hawk next to any Ford or Chevy of the same vintage, and they all look like frumpy, overweight grannies next to a svelte and sexy Miss America. You know it's true!

post-53607-143142017176_thumb.jpg

Edited by Studemax (see edit history)

and of course, the best looking one is...........the one that looks best to You. The '57 sure has taken on an iconic state
True now, but for some reason '57 Chevy's ' were popular for being popular, so I figured. Therefore, I wondered if someone could defend the 57 Chevy 2 door Bel Air as being better styled then the 55-56's, but few of us believe they were. Like I said, kind of like a "pop" song. Most people can't tell you why they like it, they just do.

I'll take a '50 Fleetline two-door! :)

I've never liked '57s or understood their popularity, but at Motor Muster I saw an all-black 210 hardtop with thin whitewalls, and it did look sharp.

I'll take a '56 210 hardtop out of the three years.

I will add the comment that in '54 every Chevy had the pressure-fed lubrication system that greatly reduced the Chevy's tendency to burn out rod bearings and although they weren't as powerful as V-8's they were quite peppy. However, the real way to go in the Tri'Five era was a '56 Ford Sunliner or Victoria.

Guest Classic50s

Nah Tri5 years would have to be Buick, Desoto, or Packard. 55 Buick- one of fastest production passenger cars available hence the California State Patrol buying a stack of em, 57 Buick- introduction of the famed and ultra reliable 364 nailhead (those nailheads just keep running like a Duracell Battery. As long as you keep the tank full!), Desoto (of course all MoPar divisions except Plymouth had their own Hemi but Desoto was the under appreciated MoPar), swivel seats, electric fuel injection (58), balanced design (in 57 I believe), fast reliable, and darn good looking to boot, Packard (1955 displacement 352, 1956 displacement 374) bigger then Lincoln, Cadillac, and Chryslers biggest power plants, torsion bar suspension, yet to little to late to save a legendary manufacturer.

I will add the comment that in '54 every Chevy had the pressure-fed lubrication system that greatly reduced the Chevy's tendency to burn out rod bearings and although they weren't as powerful as V-8's they were quite peppy. However, the real way to go in the Tri'Five era was a '56 Ford Sunliner or Victoria.

The Tri Five Chevrolet's and Pontiac's are one styling cycle behind Buick and Oldsmobile. You won't get a hardtop four door Chevy until 1956 but Buick and Olds had them in 1955. You won't get rear sweep cut fender styling in a Chevy until 1956 but Olds had them starting in 1954 on the Starfire 98. You won't get a panoramic windshield swept back past 90 degrees on a Chevy until 1958, but they are on 1954 Olds and Buick's.

FYI sweep cut fender styling was a styling FEATURE on some GM cars. Sweep cut rear fender styling was never meant to be used with a fender skirt.

The styling cycle difference between divisions has gone on for a very long time. Body design of the 1949-1952 Chevy and Pontiac which have according to GM styling a term called flow through styling appears on the 1948 Olds 98 and 1948 Cadillac. Chevrolet and Pontiac's new for 1950 hardtop coupes called Bel-Air and Catalina were used by Cadillac (Coupe DeVille) Buick ( Rivera ) and Oldsmobile ( Holiday ) beginning in 1949. By 1950 BOC's changed body style again while Chevy and Pontiac kept using the old style hardtop until 1952.

The styling winners of 1955 are the 55 Olds Starfire Holiday 98 coupe and equally the 1955 Buick Roadmaster coupe.

The clear winner for 1956 is the Olds Holiday coupe.

The clear winner for 1957 is the Cadillac Coupe DeVille

What year is the best looking Tri Five chevy? 1957

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

I was thinking that PowerGlide cars were also pressure-fed, in some years that the manual trans cars were not?

I think that one reason the '56s were "not as popular" as either the '55 or '57 is that they were "not the first" of the new Chevies AND those that bought new '55s weren't ready for a new car when the '56s came out, but did trade (2 yr cycle?) when the '57s came out. '56 was "refinement" and '57 was "upgrade".

'58 brought a radically different car. First year for rear coil springs and a rear suspension design that, like that on the '58 Thunderbird, was a ONE year only design. Chevy's TurboGlide was also in the '57s, rather than "new in '58". Still, though, nothing to compare with Chrysler's TorqueFlite or the HydraMatics of other GM lines.

Regards,

NTX5467

Guest Classic50s
I think that one reason the '56s were "not as popular" as either the '55 or '57 is that they were "not the first" of the new Chevies AND those that bought new '55s weren't ready for a new car when the '56s came out, but did trade (2 yr cycle?) when the '57s came out. '56 was "refinement" and '57 was "upgrade".

'58 brought a radically different car. First year for rear coil springs and a rear suspension design that, like that on the '58 Thunderbird, was a ONE year only design. Chevy's TurboGlide was also in the '57s, rather than "new in '58". Still, though, nothing to compare with Chrysler's TorqueFlite or the HydraMatics of other GM lines.

Regards,

NTX5467

The transmissions of the mid 50s GM are a great subject to compare offerings of different Brands.

Chevrolet had the power glide and turboglide starting in 57 if I remember right

Pontiac had the hydramatic which starting in 56 had the 4 speed 'jetaway' hydramatic

Oldsmobile used the hydramatic as well

Buick had the one of a kind (famous or infamous) dynaflow

Cadillac used the hydramatic as well these years I believe

I have owned/own cars with all but the turboglide.

The Chevrolet powerglide isn't anything spectacular. Yeah it shifts automatically without having to pop a clutch pedal but with only 2 speeds cruising at highway speed wraps the rpms to high

The 1956 Pontiac Jetaway Hydramatic is a amazing transmission. I had a 56 StarChief with this incredible transmission. Low speed shift points make city driving MPG less of an issue and still running relatively low rpm on the highway makes cars with these transmissions a great daily or cruise car. Not to mention the 316.6 CI 2 barrel with the 4 speed hyro was advertised to get the best mileage of ANY v8 in 1956 (20? give or take a few mpg). Driving my 56 daily I can say you very likely can get more then that! Compare that to you 2005 Chevy small block v8 SUV with similar weight! Incredible to say the least!

The Buick Dynaflow is a one of a kind love it or hate it transmission. My 59 Buick would float down the road at high speed or in town. Never feel shifting and smooth as glass. Smash the gas or ease on it the rpms wont go over 2500 (give or take a few hundred) until you are fully in top gear due to the design of the torque converter. The downfall is that they are very inefficient and if you want to use the power of your torque O terror nailhead to show up your buddies Ford or Dodge that transmission will suck up all the power. Thats why my 59 Buick restoration is using the TH400 (which by what I read was designed to be used behind Olds and Buick motors of the early-mid 60s).

The transmissions of the mid 50s GM are a great subject to compare offerings of different Brands.

Chevrolet had the power glide and turboglide starting in 57 if I remember right

Pontiac had the hydramatic which starting in 56 had the 4 speed 'jetaway' hydramatic

Oldsmobile used the hydramatic as well

Buick had the one of a kind (famous or infamous) dynaflow

Cadillac used the hydramatic as well these years I believe

I have owned/own cars with all but the turboglide.

The Chevrolet powerglide isn't anything spectacular. Yeah it shifts automatically without having to pop a clutch pedal but with only 2 speeds cruising at highway speed wraps the rpms to high

The 1956 Pontiac Jetaway Hydramatic is a amazing transmission. I had a 56 StarChief with this incredible transmission. Low speed shift points make city driving MPG less of an issue and still running relatively low rpm on the highway makes cars with these transmissions a great daily or cruise car. Not to mention the 316.6 CI 2 barrel with the 4 speed hyro was advertised to get the best mileage of ANY v8 in 1956 (20? give or take a few mpg). Driving my 56 daily I can say you very likely can get more then that! Compare that to you 2005 Chevy small block v8 SUV with similar weight! Incredible to say the least!

The Buick Dynaflow is a one of a kind love it or hate it transmission. My 59 Buick would float down the road at high speed or in town. Never feel shifting and smooth as glass. Smash the gas or ease on it the rpms wont go over 2500 (give or take a few hundred) until you are fully in top gear due to the design of the torque converter. The downfall is that they are very inefficient and if you want to use the power of your torque O terror nailhead to show up your buddies Ford or Dodge that transmission will suck up all the power. Thats why my 59 Buick restoration is using the TH400 (which by what I read was designed to be used behind Olds and Buick motors of the early-mid 60s).

Pontiac started with HydraMatic in 1948, and used the basic form of this until 1957, Cadillac used this same transmission until 1956, Oldsmobile used this transmission until 1957 also. In 1956 Olds and Pontiac had two HydraMatic's. The Olds 88 and the Pontiac 860 and 870 models used the old "D" type HydraMatic four speed. Cadillac, Pontiac Star Chief and Olds 98 used a new four speed dual fluid coupling HydraMatic. Htdramatic division ( who designed and built it called it Controlled Coupling HydraMatic, Cadillac called it 315 or sometime P315 HydraMatic, Olds called it Jetaway, Pontiac called it StratoFlight until 58 when it was called Super HydraMatic.

As far as efficiency goes both transmissions in 4th gear have split torque with only 25% of the engine power going through the fluid coupling and the rest is applied mechanically to the output shaft. The only automatic's that are more efficient than that are one's with a lock up converter. Packard Ultramatic is one of them but because of it's lack of gears is less efficient in overall operation.

THM 400 built by HydraMatic division was first used in Buick and some model Cadillac in 1964. In 1965 THM400 is the standard automatic for all full size Buick, Olds and Pontiac and is used by Pontiac, Buick and Olds intermediates from 1967.