Was offered a trade today; thoughts?

Pontiac59

I was offered a running '64 Valiant 4-door plus $500 for my '40 Roadmaster.

Valiant runs and moves (off a gas can), but the guy spent time repainting it in some goofy ways, yet can't even change the three flat tires on it. I looked up the parts and they're not expensive, probably $300 to do all the brakes, a fuel pump and line and new tank straps. It's also out of CT, so it probably saw salt, although it doesn't look bad. I figure it might be a $1500 car if a guy could come drive it home. And I don't know if it's a V8 or not.

Buick is a rare coupe, one of 3600 or so made, body is not bad and it would build as a hot rod fairly easily, it's pretty well complete except for some minor things. But I've had it for sale forever (literally I have had this car advertised somewhere constantly for at least six years) and had zero interest, except a guy who wanted to cut it up to use the shell on a Cadillac sedan cowl and chassis. Old Cars Report says it's worth like $4500 as it sits.

I'd hate to see it go to a guy who's just going to play with it and let it sit and rot though. But at the same time since the Buick guys don't seem to care, maybe it should go somewhere to sit and rot. Since I got it one of the A-arms has rotted through and I need to stick a piece of wood in there just to roll the front around.

I had the Buick painted to slow down the rust and had the front wheels freed up. Unlike the Valiant, it doesn't run, the motor is locked up tight, and it needs a ton of work. I bought it because it was available, it was a coupe, and it was rare - I didn't expect to make a fortune on it, but I'm kind of shocked that I haven't been able to find a serious offer on it in all this time. I could sell two parts out of it and do $600 without much trouble.

At least the Valiant with a couple days work and no real additional investment I could drive it myself.

I mean, yes, popular logic is the coupe is the better car, and chances are this guy will ruin it, but nobody - and I mean nobody - has had any interest in this car in a long, long time. And it's not a piece of crap - it's a very buildable car; the frame is good, most of the floors are there, it even has the original jack in the trunk. I post it around with "here's what it's worth by the book, make me an offer" and crickets chrip, or on Craigslist the idiots who don't know what they're looking at flag the ad. Well, the scrap man would buy it I suppose. But I sometimes think if I could go back to when I found that car, I'd have bought something else off the same guy.

Edited by Pontiac59 (see edit history)

I've had three 'someday I'll restore them' cars for years and can tell you from personal experience it's not a very satisfying way to be in the collector car hobby.

Don't get the Valiant, dump the Buick on eBay with a no-reserve auction and low opening bid, and buy yourself something that you can drive immediately.

Maybe I'll even take my own advice........

Guest Bob Call

I once had a 61 Dodge Lancer, same as the Plymouth Valiant, and believe me you don't want that. If you need a driver, offer him $250 and don't pay more than $300. I would go with epay if you really want to sell the Buick.

Buick is on eBay now, where it has been, as I said, for years.

He can get $300 for his car from the scrapyard, looking at what's on eBay they're worth more than that.

I've got my van to drive, having something to get around in isn't a concern.

The only thing worth less than that Buick is a Plymouth Valiant.

You think the Valiant is worth $1500? Then dump the Buick for that same $1500 and be done with it--price guides are crap, especially on the low and high ends of the scale. You've been trying to unload that thing for an unrealistic price for years now, even threatening to cut it up just to get everyone riled up, spending money on advertising it on eBay, and still have nothing to show for it after all this time. Cut your losses and be done with it, let it be someone else's anchor.

But a Valiant will never, ever be worth anything to anyone, especially one with four doors that doesn't run. $1500? Methinks you've got the decimal place in the wrong place, perhaps even by a factor of two...

Guest Henry White

If it is hard to sell a 1940 Buick coupe, it will be impossible to sell a 1964 Valiant four door. Around here the Valiant is worth about 9 cents per pound, at the scrap yard.

It is not this car is it? If so I assume your original post wasn't serious?

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=290942883621

1940 Buick Roadmaster Coupe. Not a 1947 Buick 2-door sedan.

Well, like I keep saying, apparently to the collector community both are worth about the same, which is nothing, or I wouldn't have the Buick anymore.

And clearly a running, moving car is worth more than scrap weight, there are several Valiants bid to more than that on eBay now. I wish I still could get the early Cuda I found rotting like 10 years ago, I'd buy that up and do an upper rear body transplant from one to the other.

In any case, I offered him my Terraplane for the Valiant instead.

Can you post a link to your Ebay auction? I would have to guess you have it listed as a parts car, since it does not appear in my search for cars of that make and model.

I am guessing this is it...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1940-Buick-Roadmaster-Coupe-rat-hot-rod-rare-/400185840721?hash=item5d2cef5451&vxp=mtr

In my experience, People are much more likely to bid on a project than make an offer on a car that they think is listed at too high a price. I would bet if you listed it as an auction starting at a reasonable price, with a buy it now option a bit lower than your current listed price, you would see a very different result.

Edited by MCHinson
Added Ebay link (see edit history)

By listing it in that category, most people looking for a project car, are not finding your auction. Fewer people look for a restoration project in your listed category:

[TABLE]
    <tbody style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px;">[TR]
    [TD]
  • |
  • Listed in category:[/TD]
    [TD=class: vi-VR-brumblnkLst vi-VR-brumb-hasNoPrdlnks][TABLE=width: 100%]
    <tbody style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px;">[TR]
    [TD]
  • eBay Motors
  • >
  • Parts & Accessories
  • >
  • Salvage Parts Cars
  • >
  • 1969 and earlier[/TD]
    [/TR]
    </tbody>[/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    </tbody>[/TABLE]

It will cost you more to list it as a an automobile, but that is where your best potential buyers are probably looking.

If you are willing to consider trading for something that you think is worth around $1500, Your auction text of, "Can't understand the concept of "Buy It Now Or BEST OFFER"? Then buy one elsewhere, I won't cry if I don't sell this one."

is not helping you sell the car. If I were looking for a similar car, that would be enough to discourage me from making a reasonable offer on that one.

If you have not done so, I also suggest listing it in the Buy/Sell Forum as well as the Buick Buy/Sell Forum. You may find a buyer here instead of on Ebay.

I may be prejudiced because I have a 1940 Buick Roadmaster Coupe and consider it to be a very rare and desirable Buick. These cars can definitely keep up with todays traffic even on interstate highways. This is because of the large 320 cu. in. engine and the 3.90 : 1 rear end ratio. There is no comparison with a Roadmaster Coupe and a Valiant. I have noticed your EBAY listing for a long time and the problem is your price of $4750 is way too high for a car in that condition. It is as simple as that.

Guest Henry White

After reading the ebay ad I changed my mind. Do the Buick a favor, trade it for the Valiant. Or bring the price down to market value.

I wouldnt have said this had you not asked for our thoughts.

As an eBay seller for 15 years now, I learned a long time ago that you have to spell things out for the mass of idiots who come along and feel the need to send smart ass comments or waste your time making $1.00 offers on a car posted for sale because they have no clue what they're looking at, or the morons who demand you sell parts off your car endlessly. A lot of people can't tell the difference between eBay and Wal-mart.

I also learned early on that on eBay, you have to overprice listings and ask for offers - this stops the clowns who come along and click the Buy It Now button to waste your time and cost you money. There is a dollar limit most people are unwilling to cross when it comes to behaving like a clown.

When I had a '50 Ford woodie wagon up for sale, I had a guy bug me endlessly for about a year telling me what junk it was, how worthless it was, and that I should part it out. He eventually offered me $100 for a part that I could pull up three completed listings showing it sold in the same shape for $500 all by itself. I sold the car for over three times that to a restorer. I got this car about the same time out of the same place.

As far as market price:

Old Cars Report - Sept/Oct 2012 issue, so it's not even that current -

---#6 ---- #5 ---- #4

$1580 - $4750 - $7920

#5 condition: Restorable. Needs complete restoration of body, chassis and interior. Is not weathered, wrecked or stripped to the point of only being useful for parts. Well, the car is 90-95% complete, nothing it's missing can't be pulled off a 4-door somewhere, or even not use it at all for a custom or street rod. So it's a #5 car.

(I'm sure none of you bothered to read, but the grille and bumpers are with the car; it's only missing a few minor pieces - taillights, grille metal divider, rocker trim and gravel shields, and the gas door, plus the radiator. Not the end of the world, I priced taillights on eBay at $20 a shot a few years ago).

Do I expect it to sell for $4750? No. The book is probably high. But I'm not going to start too low and give it away for nothing. When I got it I had no trouble finding another in similar shape bring over $2000 - and back then the #5 value was $1000 less. Clearly they get their prices from somewhere - and as many of you apparently also did not bother to notice, the listing is in Buy it Now or Best Offer format.

Surely people on this board understand the concept of making an offer on a car.

Edited by Pontiac59 (see edit history)

Actually I read all of your auction text and looked at the photos. I did suggest you consider an auction style format with a reasonable starting price and a buy it now option. Nobody suggested you "start too low and give it away for nothing".

You seem to lament that nobody has bought it in "years" on Ebay. You asked for thoughts on it and you got some thoughts from several of us here. You can choose to listen to other's advice, or you can continue to try to market it the same way that has not worked for you in "years" or you can choose to trade it for a car that you indicate is worth about $1500.

Best of luck with whatever you choose to do.

I'll agree that Ebay is full of bottom-feeders who love nothing more than to flex their muscles over how much they know, but I'm guessing the tone of your ad attracts and encourages them rather than filters them out. I use Ebay a lot, both to buy and sell parts and cars, and while I have only sold one car on Ebay, most of my listings end up as sales after the fact when I actually start talking to a potential buyer (I've sold more than two dozen cars this way). The way you have it worded is really discouraging.

Look, this car is nobody's end game. Nobody is out there desperately hoping to find a 1940 Buick Roadmaster coupe to restore. Wonderful car, yes, but nobody's dream car that they've been waiting years to own, especially not as a project. 3900 cars built isn't all that rare, and if someone really wants one, they can be had for a reasonable price without a lot of searching--heck, I paid about that much for my more desirable 1941 Century and it was a complete, running, driving car! This is purely an opportunity car, and as such it has to be priced to attract a guy with a little money in his pocket looking for his next project because he doesn't yet know what he wants. This car is $50-75,000 away from being a nice $35,000 car, so you have to factor that into your pricing equation. Sorry you miscalculated its value and marketability when you bought it--we've all done it. Cut your losses and move on.

It has been my experience selling cars that setting a price too high does NOT encourage offers, it merely makes people think you're unreasonable and they go shop elsewhere. Aside from those goofballs who get off on making outrageously low offers in case you accidentally hit Accept, nobody's going to try to float an offer of even 50% of your asking price because most folks are reasonable and relatively nice, so they figure you'll be insulted (would you be?). That's particularly true given the tone of the ad, which is a real turn-off. Put a price tag on there that is the exact minimum amount you'd take for the car, right now, today, and get the poor old thing sold.

If you were going to trade it for a $1500 Valiant (your value), then put your reserve at $1500, send it to auction, and sell the sucker. I figure you'll get a check for somewhere around that amount, someone will haul the car away, and all this hostility towards the car and its potential suitors will be out of your life for good. Life's just too short to try to squeeze all the water out of all the rocks.

Guest Henry White

Magazine appraisals make for some fun reading, but talk is cheap. Appraisals are just somebody talking, many are horribly inaccurate. The only appraisal that matters is the one from the person forking over cash. The market has been in a downward spiral since 2006, things dont bring what they should. Anyone selling today best be prepared to take a severe beating. And it will only get worse.

Magazine appraisals make for some fun reading, but talk is cheap. Appraisals are just somebody talking, many are horribly inaccurate. The only appraisal that matters is the one from the person forking over cash. The market has been in a downward spiral since 2006, things dont bring what they should. Anyone selling today best be prepared to take a severe beating. And it will only get worse.

I agree with the above. I am nearing 62 and have flipped cheaper collector cars needing work, parts cars, parts, etc, to help pay for my own projects for 45 years. I, along with all my contacts, have completely stopped buying for resale, as it is such a huge risk now. I have even stopped considering adding anything for my own use.

I blame it on the economy a bit, but I think it has more to do with the baby boomers aging. The oldest boomers will be 70 in 3 years. I see a big trend in the older boomers selling off what they would have never thought about giving up before. They see their friends passing and leaving their spouses or children with a burden of things to disperse, and they also see the market drying up. I think it is "sell now, before it drops even lower".

A person that is funded enough for a collector car these days, just won't look at a project, as they can get a good car if they put some effort into searching, and the price is far better than doing the work themselves.

A friendlier ad and realistic opening bid would probably move the Buick. As they say in the car business: "Books don't buy cars".

If this Buick has literally been advertised for several years, it might be time to start a new eBay user account and list it on there. Some may condemn this as being sneaky, but in this case it would help to attract prospective buyers that may have gotten tired of seeing perpetual relistings.

1940 Buick Roadmaster coupe is a cool car regardless of whether it's stock, hot rod, or custom.

1964 Plymouth Valiant sedan.....maybe if you've got history with this exact kind of car, make it a sleeper, or make it a ute. They have smaller engine bays so putting in a big block isn't easy.