South Bend - The Journey Starts

50jetback

If you happen to have a map of the world handy you will notice Perth, Western Australia is about as far as you can get anywhere in the world from South Bend Indiana. With that in mind 2 mates and myself fly out of Perth on Saturday to start our journey. A 4th mate ( forward scout ) is already in the US visiting relatives in Fort Wayne Indiana.

The plan is we all meet up at LAX on Sunday morning ( June 30 ) after flying forever ( 16hrs Sydney to Los Angeles - after 4 1/2hrs Perth Sydney ), jump in our hire car ( Chev Tahoe - any good, we don't have them here? ) and head out of town towards Las Vegas. A day or 2 there and then roughly follow the old Route 66 heading towards Indiana.

Plenty of time and 4 drivers so we can detour if something looks interesting. Plan on being in Evansville Indiana on the 15th to catch up with an old mate and his wife then on to the National Meet on the 16th.

Staying at the Inn at St Mary's ( think they have a bar ) and hope to catch up with a few Buick people.

After the National Meet we plan on heading West to Seattle, then down the Pacific Coast back to Los Angeles to catch a flight back to Aus on August 6.

And don't worry, I have got the Vegemite for the Forum breakfast, just as long as US Customs or your Homeland Security don't decide it's a prohibited import to the US ( it'll be okay as long as they don't want to taste it ).

See you there.

Edited by 50jetback (see edit history)

Guest wildcat465

You should enjoy traveling in a Tahoe, Stuart.

It's no 64 Cat, but you will be comfy.

Looking forward to seeing you and hearing of your journey.

Guest Rob McDonald

STUART, this will be a great dry run for when you come back in 2014, for the Portland National Meet. It'll be so much closer, you'll be tempted to bring your Buick. I'm planning to be in Seattle sometime in July on a Valiant adventure (stay tuned). If you'll be posting updates here, I'll watch your progress after the South Bend meet, to see if we can meet up in the convivial City of Goodwill.

50jetback,

Tahoe's a pretty nice rig. Best GM I've ever driven. Watch the speed. With a 330 h.p. V-8 you'll go from 50 to 90 in no time.

On way back enter in these waypoints: Kearney, Nebraska Classic Car Collection; Minden, Nebraska Pioneer Village Museum; and Denver, Colorado Forney Museum of Transportation. Each has over 100 old cars in their collections, maybe more than you'd want to see.

Before leaving the LA area, you might want to check out two museums in the area.

The Nethercutt Collection

The nethercutt is a great collection, maybe 15 miles north of the LA airport. If you can get your timing worked out you will notice they have tours twice a day.....for the main collection you must have a reservation but it is free. If you are limited in time, across the street is the (also free) walk in collection. This collection is probably ranked in the top 10 in the world.

Maybe 4 miles east of the airport is the Peterson Museum. They have revolving displays, check the web site for the current features.

Petersen Automotive Museum | Petersen Automotive Museum

Have a good trip, the wife and I are also staying at the St Marys...see you in a couple of weeks

Stuart, Looking forward to saying hello to you at South Bend. I just did some of Rte. 66 last week in New Mexico and Texas while going to get a '49 76-R in Farmington for a friend of mine. There's some good stuff on Central Avenue in Albuquerque, NM, but on the east side of town it is a bit disappointing to see the deterioration--still a few good neon signs to see. There's a fabulous salvage yard along the south side of Interstate 40 between Tijeras and Edgewood, N.M. about 20-30 miles east of Albuquerque--saw it from the highway and didn't get the name. I recommend the Blue Swallow motel in Tucumcari, N.M.--they cater to old car owners and foreign tourists. Also, check out Mother Road Memory Iron in Tucumcari--lots of Studebaker project cars. At Glenrio on the N.M./Texas border, it is worth getting off to see the ruins of the old town, which is mostly a ghost town now. The Cadillac Ranch on the western edge of Amarillo is easy to miss. You have to be off on the frontage road, south side of the interstate, about a mile before you get there, or you will miss it. The U-Drop-Inn in Shamrock, Texas has a nice little museum attached. It is an art Deco former service station, now occupied by the Shamrock Chamber of Commerce. Drive your car under the canopy for a great photo opportunity. The Rte. 66 Museum in Clinton, Oklahoma is worth a stop. Also, if you can find N. Broadway St. in Oklahoma City, on the near northeast side of downtown, it is worth the time spent. That is the old "Automobile Row", full of 1910s and 1920s multi-story auto dealerships, now adapted to other uses. A great photo opportunity is the old Hudson white triangle ghost sign on the west side of the street, on the roof of one of the buildings. The Oklahoma City National Memorial, commemorating the bombing of the Federal Building, is within walking distance, a few blocks south and west of Broadway's auto row, and is very impressive. Well, those are the parts of Rte. 66 closest to me that I have some familiarity with. Sounds like you have a wonderful trip planned. Best wishes, Pete Phillips BCA #7338, Leonard, Texas

post-32059-143141970777_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pete Phillips (see edit history)

If you go through Bloomington, IL. stay on I-55, and go thru the town, the by-pass on the east side of Bloomington is OLD 66, and still in use.

I lived there from 1937 - 1961, so know well. We did a lot of top end racing on 66 heading south towards Sprinfield. Speed limit signs read, REASONABLE AND PROPER, no speeds posted on signs in many places.

Family still live there so go there often.

Drive safe, enjoy.

Dale in Indy

While in Vegas, you may want to check out The Auto Collections - Las Vegas, Nevada - there is a free admission coupon on the web site you can print out. I may go when I'm there about 2 weeks after South Bend. There's also an interesting collection at the Imperial Palace - Classics.com - The Imperial Palace Auto Collection

Enjoy the trip. Looking forward to finding some excuse to celebrate the Commonwealth.

Thanks for all the well wishes and information re our trip.

Sitting in the QANTAS business lounge waiting to board. Can see the Flying Kangaroo out the window and should be boarding in about 15 minutes. Arrive at LAX about 0630 hrs today June 30 - that's a bit strange because it's already 0915hrs Sundasy 30 here in Sydney!!

Might try and update with our whereabouts if I can access a computer.

I drive a GMC Yukon which is basically the same rig (my GM buddy says that a GMC is just a Chevy with lock washers). You will have plenty of room, get close to 20 MPG and a good ride... I look forward to seeing you all in South Bend...

The welcome mat is out for you in Vancouver Washington too....

Travel safe...

Arrived OK with the Vegemite, no problems at Customs, even declared it and when asked what food item I was carrying the Customs Officer just turned up his nose when I said Vegemite - guess he's tasted it!!! AVIS didn't have a Tahoe ready for us, so have had to put up with a Chev Suburban with 650 miles on the clock. Had a couple of days in Vegas, headed back to Route 66 today and am now in Williams Arizona - great drive, great heat wave ( 118 in Vegas ) but the Suburban sure has a good A/C - front and rear. Have to duck over the road to the Long Horn Saloon - a beer is waiting!!

Arrived OK with the Vegemite, no problems at Customs, even declared it and when asked what food item I was carrying the Customs Officer just turned up his nose when I said Vegemite - guess he's tasted it!!! AVIS didn't have a Tahoe ready for us, so have had to put up with a Chev Suburban with 650 miles on the clock. Had a couple of days in Vegas, headed back to Route 66 today and am now in Williams Arizona - great drive, great heat wave ( 118 in Vegas ) but the Suburban sure has a good A/C - front and rear. Have to duck over the road to the Long Horn Saloon - a beer is waiting!!

The Suburban is pretty much just a larger Tahoe, so don't feel like you missed out on much!

On a side note, the "Suburban" model name is the oldest model name still in production.

Guest Rob McDonald

I got to Seattle much sooner than I expected and so won't be able to meet up with you. Enjoy your visit, though, and be sure to find your way to the Belltown district, which surrounds the famous Pike Place Market. If you have time, head a bit south to Tacoma, where the world-class Museum of Glass astounds. Oh yeah, there's also the fabulous LeMay car collection nearby but you'll be sick of gawking at old cars by then.

...If you have time, head a bit south to Tacoma, where the world-class Museum of Glass astounds. Oh yeah, there's also the fabulous LeMay car collection nearby but you'll be sick of gawking at old cars by then.
And some aviation museums & the Boeing factory is worth a visit

Arrived in Spingfield Missouri after travelling through beatiful country ( lot of secondary roads ) from Oklahoma via a bit of Arkansas. Having a lay day tomorrow, meeting up with Ben ( First Born ) and will have lunch and chat about his time in Australia about 30 years ago - looking forward to meeting up with someone from the Forum.Pulled off Route 66 and after the lay day in Springfield will head across to Nashville Tennesee then up through Kentucky and Indiana to South Bend.Meet up with a few more of you there, the Vegemite hasn't melted and the mates with me haven't eaten it all so there should be some left for the Forum breakfast!.

Arrived in Spingfield Missouri after travelling through beatiful country ( lot of secondary roads ) from Oklahoma via a bit of Arkansas. Having a lay day tomorrow, meeting up with Ben ( First Born ) and will have lunch and chat about his time in Australia about 30 years ago - looking forward to meeting up with someone from the Forum.Pulled off Route 66 and after the lay day in Springfield will head across to Nashville Tennesee then up through Kentucky and Indiana to South Bend.Meet up with a few more of you there, the Vegemite hasn't melted and the mates with me haven't eaten it all so there should be some left for the Forum breakfast!.

I had no idea Vegemite could melt. :confused:

Stuart, I am not sure if you are familiar with the "American Pickers" show on our History Channel. They are from Iowa, but now have a sales outlet in Nashville (former Marathon Auto plant, I believe). It seems worth the visit if you have time. They scour the country for old "junk" and it turns to "treasure". John

..., the Vegemite hasn't melted and the mates with me haven't eaten it all so there should be some left for the Forum breakfast!....

Not quite sure if this is good or bad... But meeting up with Forum Members is a real treat. Hanging with Ben ought to be fun, just watch out for the rusty nails....

Wow, Nashville eh..... that close to Buick Gardens and you're not stopping by?.... You and your mates are more than welcome do a lay-over here if time permits. It's about a 5.5 hour drive from N'ville to here. Plug 1050 Hull Rd, Athens, GA, into your GPS, that'll get you to American Spirits Liquor store and I'll meet ya there and lead you on in......y'all come on down.... ya hea....

Edited by MrEarl
delete my address, how naive and stupid of me... (see edit history)

" On the road again! " About to move out of Springfield after having a great day catching up with Ben ( First Born ), had lemonade in the back yard and a look at his cars, then lunch at a really big restaurant where they throw bread rolls at you!! - very strange behaviour, Then Ben took us to a friend of his with a very nice '55 Special 2 door hardtop and a '63 2 door Studebaker Daytona, and a heap of other stuff including the biggest motorhome I've ever seen ( which was self built by the owner ). Thanks for the great day Ben.Heading towards Nashville today, haven't decided which way we will go, just follow our nose like we have so far and will probably make it a 2 day drive.Lamar, thanks for the offer and would like to visit if time permits, what's the nearest towns around Hull with accomodation ( not saying you live in the backwaters but none of the large scale maps I have with me have Hull ). Touch base again when in accomodation with a friendly computer.

Lamar, thanks for the offer and would like to visit if time permits, what's the nearest towns around Hull with accomodation ( not saying you live in the backwaters but none of the large scale maps I have with me have Hull ).

Athens, Athens, Georgia, home of the Georgia Bulldogs, the tree that owns itself Tree that Owns Itself, Athens, Georgia, and Buick Gardens.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nxMAJOzjvqo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

and if that ain't enough to draw ya, I'll tell ya all about how this damn Emu got on my barn roof.

a1ie.jpg

in fact there may still be some emu left in the freezer we can throw on the grill......

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Guest Rob McDonald
I had no idea Vegemite could melt.

I think Vegemite is Australian for "Spam", which will survive nuclear meltdown and still be as edible as ever.

Wow, Nashville eh..... that close to Buick Gardens and you're not stopping by?.... You and your mates are more than welcome do a lay-over here if time permits. It's about a 5.5 hour drive from N'ville to here. Plug 1050 Hull Rd, Athens, GA, into your GPS, that'll get you to American Spirits Liquor store and I'll meet ya there and lead you on in......y'all come on down.... ya hea....

Dangerous move there Lamar :eek: ..........directing Stuart and Jim to a Liquor store and then inviting them to Buick Gardens!!

Best keep that lovely 54 locked up or their may be more of those black marks on the local country roads.

Athens, Athens, Georgia, home of the Georgia Bulldogs, the tree that owns itself Tree that Owns Itself, Athens, Georgia, and Buick Gardens.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nxMAJOzjvqo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

and if that ain't enough to draw ya, I'll tell ya all about how this damn Emu got on my barn roof.

a1ie.jpg

in fact there may still be some emu left in the freezer we can throw on the grill......

That's a pretty good sell for your part of the world Lamar, and don't believe what Flynny said, we don't resemble his remarks at all!

Had a look at the maps with the boys last night but with some planned stuff in Nashville and meeting up with another mate in Evansville, Indiana on Monday night it would be a bit rushed ( well for us slow moving Aussies at least ). So thanks for the invite Lamar, would loved to have visited Buick Gardens but will have to pass and catch up in South Bend. We'll be there by the 16th so if your in the bar the first ones on me.

• 2 weeks later...
Where are you blokes and what's happening ??

Left South Bend after 5 days at the Buick Nationals last Sunday morning and traveled to Dearborn. Had a good look at the Henry Ford museum and Village yesterday and then headed north in Michigan. Stopped overnight in a small lakeside town and had a beer and meal at ROOSTERS BAR and GRILL - didn't see you there Ken!.

Had a pleasant drive up highway 12 up the east side of Michigan and across the Mackinac Bridge. Now in upper Michigan and tomorrow will put in a bigger day crossing Wisconsin and hope to get to Mt Rushmore ( South Dakota ) Thursday, Little Big Horn Friday and then all the way to Seattle by Sunday or Monday.

1. Have you bought anything yet ?

2. Who won the Vegemite taste test ?

Still on the road, got into Seattle yesterday. Wound up following the coast in Michigan and crossing the Mackinaw Bridge - isn't that an ordeal for the faint hearted!

Across Wisconsin and Minnesota via secondary roads and beautiful farmland and vistas. Down to South Dakota and visited Mt Rushmore then got away from the tourists and headed for the back blocks again. Headed across 212 from Belle Fourche South Dakota towards Crow Agency to visit Custers Last Stand at Little Big Horn. Stayed overnight in Broadus Montana and had a great night with local ranchers at the Powder Creek Stockmans Club - felt right at home.

Finding the secondary roads much easier to drive on at a slower pace ( although a Deputy in Wyoming reckoned we were up at 83mph!! ) and able to take in the beautiful scenery and call into the local towns to enjoy diner meals ( none of that fast food chain franchise c*** ). Little Big Horn was well worth the visit.

Sat on I90 to make up some time and then more secondary roads from Spokane to Seattle ( highway 2 ) staying overnight in another small country town ( Wilbur ).

Visited a heap of Antique shops, some with bargains ( too big to get home of course ) and some very expensive.

Today we are catching up with a BCA member in Seattle who I know from the Australian National Meets - Everett Ayres. Everett has been to 2 Aussie meets ( NSW in 2006 and Tasmania last year ) and is an honoury Australian, and likes vegemite! If Everett can make it some of you other BCA members should think about an Aussie adventure - A full month of Buick Rallying and National meet Next year ( Aug/Sept 2014 ) in Western Australia.

After that it's down the Pacific Coast to fly home next Tuesday Aug 6 and will get home on Thursday Aug 8.

ROOSTER - no clear winner with the Vegemite but there was a heap of pikers!!

No one has bought a car but the trips not over yet.