1934 Dodge Full Body Off Restoration

Thankyou,

Years ago I said to my wife all I want to do is have my car in the show. Not to win any trophies but just to have it in the show and people look at it and hopefully say ...gee, that looks nice.

Finally to get to that stage is really something....I know its not 100% original but you give it your best shot and end up with something unique.

• Like 5

Hey all,

Haven't posted anything for a few days as my wife's brother passed away the other day. It's certainly been one of those years !

Got the front seat fitting properly after finding the bolts holding the frame down were stopping the rear of the seat pushing in. Replaced them with a mushroom head bolt and the seat sits a lot flatter than it did before. Also replaced the tack nail in the trim piece with a round headed screw...I think that finishes it off a little better than it was. Removed all covers off the seats and my wife sat in the front seat for the first time. Also spent 3 hours getting the horns working. Very fine tuning for these and a slight turn one way stops them working.

IMG_8345.jpg

IMG_8346.jpg

• Like 3

On 10/5/2022 at 5:00 AM, Ian_Greenlaw said:

Well everyone, today was the day.

Transport arrived and loaded the car and he was able to back basically into the front entrance of the Exhibition Buildings.

We made it !

IMG_8387.jpg

IMG_8389.jpg

IMG_8390.jpg

IMG_8392.jpg

IMG_8391.jpg

IMG_8398.jpg

IMG_8399.jpg

IMG_8393.jpg

IMG_8394.jpg

IMG_8395.jpg

IMG_3137.jpg

Ian,

as I read this post my response to the trailer backing up to the building was "wow, now that driving is a thing of beauty". 

Then as I scrolled down, my literal response was "oh, wow, woW, WOW... NOW THAT IS A THING OF BEAUTY"....

True story.

I've followed this thread at a distance, but I have to say my god man you've done an incredible job.

She shows..., does she ever show well. 

Kudos on an amazing journey!

Congrats
Dave

Thankyou so much for following the resto and the kind comments.

It was an amazing setting for the show and thousands of people came through. The amount of photos people took were simply staggering.

I'm not use to all that attention and it was a bit surreal.

I haven't finished the car as i have the engine to sort out and other things to do...like Ron I need a roadworthy so stay tuned !

Cheers

Ian

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so now I've come back to earth after the show its time to get her on the road.

Filled her up with fuel.....slowly and checked for leaks.....ok so I had 5 leaks.

One at the fuel tank due to a fitting I put in crooked, a fuel hose split in two places, a leak where the fuel goes into the fuel pump and the fuel bowl....basically most of the fuel system. Good news is that they were reasonably easy to fix. Fixed them and turned her over to find I had 3 oil leaks. Again my fault as I must have forgotten to tighten up a joiner of the oil line that went to the Oil Pressure Gauge. Tightened them up and found the last one was where it went into the block. I got a bit excited and snapped it off in the block. Using my Easy Outs it came out ok. Replaced the fitting and no leaks ! Moment of truth....using a can of "Start Ya Bastard".....yep its really called that....she fired up. A smokey at the start but after a short run it was idling really well. I have a video of it but not sure how to post it...Its a MOV file. Anyhow went to take it for the maiden voyage and it wouldn't go forward. Tried everything with the gears etc....then we figured out the wheel chocks were still in place.....rookie error.......tried again and my mate yelled out to me to stop.....I forgot the battery was sitting on the hoist ramp and was temporarily connected....decided the first run could wait till next week before we really did some damage...Saw this Dodge add for the blindfold test so we figured this might be a better option the way we were going !!!

Cheers

Ian

IMG_8548.jpg

IMG_8549.jpg

IMG_8550.jpg

IMG_8540.jpg

IMG_8541.jpg

IMG_8542.jpg

IMG_8575.jpg

IMG_8576.jpg

IMG_8583.jpg

• Like 2

There was a bloke that worked at the local spare parts place that I frequent, not there anymore due to health problems. A hell of a nice bloke, a real old time spare parts man that could quote parts numbers from his head. But a very religious bloke and there is no way you could get him to say "Start Ya Bastard".

I suppose this is what we call starting fluid.

I know there is a place in the world for it but since there are no lubricating qualities to it, I avoid it and try with gasoline. I figure if an engine won't start on gasoline there may be other problems. And maybe more important on a fresh engine that has no oil to the rings yet.

However, 'smoky at the start' is a good thing.

• Like 2

I absolutely hate that stuff. It’s like heroine for engines, you give them a taste for it and they want more and more and then won’t start without it. It will bend rods to if used incorrectly. I had to rebuild an excavator engine that was addicted to it for a bloke. It had 3 bent rods out of 4. 
i agree with Jack. 

• Like 1

We did suss it out so only very sparingly we used it on the initial start up.

Engine idles really well now but when you accelerate it dies so I'll rebuild the carby as I feel that the plunger seal may have dried up.

I have a rebuild kit coming so that should do the trick....I hope.

Bought a custom car cover for it so I'll take a shot when that arrives.

I can then tuck the ole girl up at night.

On 10/28/2022 at 3:10 PM, Ian_Greenlaw said:

Ok so now I've come back to earth after the show its time to get her on the road.

Filled her up with fuel.....slowly and checked for leaks.....ok so I had 5 leaks.

One at the fuel tank due to a fitting I put in crooked, a fuel hose split in two places, a leak where the fuel goes into the fuel pump and the fuel bowl....basically most of the fuel system. Good news is that they were reasonably easy to fix. Fixed them and turned her over to find I had 3 oil leaks. Again my fault as I must have forgotten to tighten up a joiner of the oil line that went to the Oil Pressure Gauge. Tightened them up and found the last one was where it went into the block. I got a bit excited and snapped it off in the block. Using my Easy Outs it came out ok. Replaced the fitting and no leaks ! Moment of truth....using a can of "Start Ya Bastard".....yep its really called that....she fired up. A smokey at the start but after a short run it was idling really well. I have a video of it but not sure how to post it...Its a MOV file. Anyhow went to take it for the maiden voyage and it wouldn't go forward. Tried everything with the gears etc....then we figured out the wheel chocks were still in place.....rookie error.......tried again and my mate yelled out to me to stop.....I forgot the battery was sitting on the hoist ramp and was temporarily connected....decided the first run could wait till next week before we really did some damage...Saw this Dodge add for the blindfold test so we figured this might be a better option the way we were going !!!

Cheers

Ian

IMG_8548.jpg

IMG_8549.jpg

IMG_8550.jpg

IMG_8540.jpg

IMG_8541.jpg

IMG_8542.jpg

IMG_8575.jpg

IMG_8576.jpg

IMG_8583.jpg

Good to know that you are human like the rest of us mugs...😉

On 10/29/2022 at 4:50 AM, Mattml430 said:

I absolutely hate that stuff. It’s like heroine for engines, you give them a taste for it and they want more and more and then won’t start without it. It will bend rods to if used incorrectly. I had to rebuild an excavator engine that was addicted to it for a bloke. It had 3 bent rods out of 4. 
i agree with Jack. 

As a young fella I worked for a civil engineering company and at one stage I was towing a Sheep's foot vibrating roller behind a dozer It was powered by a very clapped out Lister 4 pot diesel It used a can of Aerostart evert day to get it going Once in the morning and again at lunch time It was a case of check the diesel and fill it up with oil 

• 3 weeks later...

Ian .. I’m getting ready to upholster my ‘34 4-door (like yours) with brown mohair and am searching for current door patterns 

I have plenty of pics .. have seen your work on aaca and paper patterns … 

Do you still have the door patterns or the old door coverings that I might be able to use 

I’m willing to pay etc to get the front and back door patterns 

Tx .. les cordes
408-201-3829
Capitola  Calif 

• 2 months later...
On 1/17/2013 at 6:22 PM, Ian_Greenlaw said:

The cars look in pretty good condition. At least you'll know that one day when you do decide to sell them, someone will take pride in restoring them.

Whos car is used in the avatar photo ? I like the look of the wheels ( another thing I'm learning about too ! )

Ian

Hi

10 years later, all vehicles sold except for 2. What a journey that was. 

Haven't had a lot of time to work on the car and haven't kept up to date with much.

My wife started getting headaches and double vision a number of weeks ago.

3 Hospitals and 2 Neurosurgeons later they found an Aneurysm in the brain which will need to be repaired so we are just waiting on Tuesday when we have an appointment with the Neuro guy and he will book her in for the op.

As soon as I'm back on the car I'll update some more on the progress.

Cheers

ian

On 2/11/2023 at 12:24 PM, Ian_Greenlaw said:

Haven't had a lot of time to work on the car and haven't kept up to date with much.

3 Hospitals and 2 Neurosurgeons later they found an Aneurysm in the brain which will need to be repaired so we are just waiting on Tuesday when we have an appointment with the Neuro guy and he will book her in for the op.

Cheers

ian

Our household sending prayers.

• Like 3

On 2/11/2023 at 2:24 PM, Ian_Greenlaw said:

Cheers

ian

Prayers for your wife from us. My daughter had the same operation a few years ago, very successful.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 6/28/2014 at 6:32 PM, Spinneyhill said:

4-core rope, each core being a set of fibres wrapped in a thread, same as large modern curtain tassels (of which I have only found 3-core). Inside the rope to add stiffness is a piece of spring like what net curtains are threaded onto. The rope is attached to the bracket by a loop of strong canvas or something wired to the rope with two high-tensile wire loops. The wire is hidden in a wrapping of thread, which is itself hidden inside a nice knitted or crocheted or ? strip. The bottom is a pom-pom held on with a wire loop around its centre, itself wired to the rope with two wire loops. These are hidden by a wooden ferule, which is hidden by braiding, sort of a larger version of what's on the wiring loom. I have been playing with the knitted or crocheted or ? strips; they must be machine done, but how? I can see how the stitches work but not how to do them with the right tension. Maybe some sort of maradai? They seem to require 13 threads to advance along the length uniformly

Hi Spinneyhill,

I have been working on my Buick interior, which after some research on this forum, kicked up this 9 year old post - 

Any chance you dug further into the manufacturing of the assist strap/ropes?

My wife and I would like to make new ones for our Buick to match the original Fisher designs, which has very limited info.

The Buick Fisher assist ropes with tightly bound pom poms are very similar to what you posted on this old post, so I am hoping you might have more info or some clues as to how these durable and attractive features were made so we can replicate.

I have been searching how Fisher made such tight and uniform pom poms but I cannot find anything, its quite a mystery...

Any thoughts, info or suggestions you might have are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Mario

Hi Guys,

Sorry to hear about Spinneyhill.........its hard when someone you've communicated with is no longer here.

Thankyou for your kind thoughts about me wife.

My wife had her operation.....I told her it sounded like me working on my car.....google flow diverter to repair a brain aneurysm.......

Weird thing was if we went Private it would have costed $20,000, if she went to the Alfred it would have costed nothing.

Anyhow shes doing well and will experience headaches for the next 3 months......she had a Angiogram the other day to check and everything is where it should be.

I did mention to her that after the op she did say I could buy another car..........but she doesn't remember that :(

I do have a car question though :

The fuel gauge isn't working and we traced it back to an earth issue. When I installed the tank I put in rubber supports to absorb vibration. Now I believe that the tank, mounting straps and frame would have created the earth.

If I connect a small clamp to the fuel line and a coiled wire and earthed it to the body the fuel gauge works fine.

My question is, is this a safe method to earth this ?.....

Apart from a friend of mine who suggested a self tapper in the fuel tank ( yeah, he was joking ) there's not a lot of options.

Any thoughts ?

Cheers

Ian

IMG_9315.jpg

• Like 1