A nice guy, Bob Coker

Jim

Friday evening at the BCA meet I parked my truck in the way of Bob loading his Landau into his trailer took the keys and left for the evening.

Being the nice guy he is and not holding a grudge :), Sunday morning he let me drive the Landau out of the trailer and now have a nice picture of him and Linda for my photo collection.

It is always a pleasure meeting with Bob.

post-30613-143139085328_thumb.jpg

It is always a pleasure meeting with Bob.

I have known Bob for going on 10 years, buying parts, seeking "how to advice" etc. But over the last 3-4 years I have had the blessed pleasure of traveling all over the states to car shows with him, driving his car hauler and acting as, as he refers to it, the "official custodian and chauffeur" of the 54 Landau. We have spent nights in richy hotels as well as in the car trailer in Walmart parking lots. Gotten lost and turned around heading the way we just came at least once or twice. He is an oral story book of his life experiences while we head down the many Buick Highways we have been down. The man has a memory like you would not believe. And a Heart!! A kind generous heart! You can't help but love the old cod. Just don't ever let the trailer wheels touch a curb and keep out of low hangin limbs and you'll never hear a cross word from him. Even though his health hasn't been the greatest lately, he just keeps on keepin on restorin those 55's. I sometimes wonder, is Bob restoring the car or is the car restoring Bob. I think the latter.

thanks for posting this Jim, and giving me a chance this morning to reminisce and tell all, Hell yea, Bob Coker is ONE NICE GUY!! Or as he would say it about someone "That guy's a pretty nice ol Cod"

post-31987-143139089424_thumb.jpg

Bob is awesome. When I failed to show for the Forum breakfast at the 2010 Ames National meet, he said he would be at Hershey and I hunted him down. I am not sure how I found him at my 1st Hershey, only being there one day, but I did and we had a great long talk in comfortable Pennsylvnia fall weather.

Allowing access to the Landau is unheard of for most trailer queens.

Guest mgibson

DITTO all the above!

I have known Bob for 10 or more years and I always look forward to seeing him the next time.

I sometimes wonder, is Bob restoring the car or is the car restoring Bob. I think the latter.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]144944[/ATTACH]

Well said Lamar, I don't know where Bob finds the energy to share his collection with the rest of us....it must be some o'l nailhead running inside of him.

I so glad I got the opportunity to finally meet him.

Thanks Bob!

Whenever Bob "sells" me parts, they are always cleaned up. When my generator failed on the way to Charlotte, he brought me another one that he had rebuilt for me. It is ridiculous how awesome he is as a man, friend, and fellow Buick Nut.

Thanks for everything you do Cod.

Love,

Cod

I will add my thoughts. I feel unworthy to call him friend, but do so any way. The first time I met him and the Landau, I was allowed, no, INVITED to sit BEHIND THE WHEEL!! And Lamar even snapped a picture of that event on my camera. Visiting again in Concord was iceing [sp] on the cake. I can only wish I had met him many years ago. Simply awesome.

Ben

When I first met Bob prolly about 5 or 6 years ago all my grandfather had was a name and a phone number (given to us at someone who knew we both had Reattas) and a general area within which we could probably find him.

We called him up one Thursday afternoon while we were in the area. He promptly invited us over And gave us the grand tour of his garages and shop. He didn't know us from Adam, but he was the kindest most cordial man I have ever met.

Every time we cross paths, he makes me smile and I think a lot of us here want to be like him when we grow up. :)

He made one mistake by getting rid of all the Reattas, but I think we can let that slide ;)

Here's to Mr. Coker!!

Sent from my mobile device using Forum Runner

I met Bob at Danvers last year as i was listening in on him talking to others about the cars under the tent. He saw my name badge and said " Sit down, Dave, and let tell you about this car" or words to that effect. Of course I'd been following the thread on the Forum regarding the Landau, but it was good to hear it personally. It was a real pleasure to meet him and hope we can meet again next year in South Bend. Make sure he gets there and you too. Lamar!

Guest Hector

I met Bob when I bought an item from Ebay for my '79 Electra.Since he was not far from me I asked a coworker who lives near him if he knew him.Yeah,I know Bob.So when it happened that I bought a '69 Buick Electra in Bob's backyard,we scheduled a visit if it wasn't much trouble.Bob gave me the tour and didn't mind me borrowing his water hose to fill the overheating radiator for the old 430 that was begging for some 93 octane gas.He treated me like a friend even though I had just seen his face and shook his hand for the first time,there is something to be said for the man right there.Good natured old timer(as a term of respect),passionate about mechanical things and knows what he is talking about.I really like the fact that he brought some parts for sale in addition to the cars. Bob is a nice guy in my book.

Lamar,yes,shame on me.Not one picture altough I walked there every day and was there when they pulled up and unloaded,I'll claim CRS.

Consolation:

028.jpg

029.jpg

030.jpg

Edited by Hector (see edit history)

Guest 4 bufords

met bob in ames in 2010,he invited me to sit down at his table in the vendor spaces.we spent about an hour talking buicks and whatever came to mind.saw him again in hershey,was like he knew me for 40 years.saw him again in danvers and again in hershey 2011.sat with him at his trailer in charlotte a couple of weeks ago,same story,one of the nicest guys i ever met,proud to call him friend,4 bufords from ct

Guest btate

I bought my first Buick to restore and transport company delivered it yesterday. sat. 14 th july 2012. The engine sounds good and car seems to drive ok. Only went one block as I thought it was running hot but was a gauge not working. I brought it via eBay and it was much more than I expected. I need a good contact person and Bob Coker seems he very knowledgeable. I am pretty sure I will have the 264 cu. In. Engine rebuilt and the dynaflow transmission rebuilt. I will need all the advice I can get to get this done. I don't want bad information. All day today I have been on the computer trying to find where I could get the power steering box rebuilt or swapped as a trade in. I am getting no where in a hurry. Need some help!! I am located in Chattanooga, tn. You should have seen me trying to find the starter, yesterday. I had to run and catch the truck driver to see how he cranked the car. I have a lot to learn about buicks. I found a place in California that rebuilds railheads but it's about $250. To ship one way ,so that is a total of $500. Shipping cost. -------like I say---- I need any help that is out there. Contact person via email or phone will work-----Bill Tate. My email btate@unitedenertech.com

• 1 year later...

I really have not had anything to contribute.

The only show I made was Charlotte in the Spring.

The `55 4Dr HT got it`s senior award.

The `55 convertible got Junior, Best of show (BCA), runner up best of the best -CMS sponsored.

Thanks to one of the senior judges, it was nominated for a national award.