Texas Road Warriors: Charlotte, don't you cry

old-tank

Use the forum search feature to find some of our previous adventures. Although it is nearly 2 weeks before we will leaving and driving the 55 in the avatar, this should serve as fair warning to anybody in our way east of Texas. Also, participants should save up for gas and oil (we're driving Buicks after all) and stock up on sliced Barbeque Brisket and Fajitas.

Willie

I am ready to leave, now if only my car was. Bringing the Riviera again, It likes to run. Still hot inside, dont quite have the A/C functional but I have music now. Always a good thing to have on a 1200 mile trip by yourself. I can only stand my singing for so long.

I am leaving Monday and headed the same way Mike is. Hope to be there on Tuesday evening.

I'm leaving Monday also, but will not make it until Thursday (old and slow).

The route will depend on the weather on the traveling days.

Spam: never eat anything you cannot identify; "where's the beef?", not in Spam; even at 11 years old (spam for 2-3 meals a day on Guam) I knew that something so vile could not be good for you (high salt and fat).

Willie

1 week left to work on the cars, I now Mike and Willie both have A/C working well, my turn this weekend. I have to get the air cooler then 60 coming out the vents.

Looking forward to the trip but won't, can't do it in a hot car. Did that on the way to Seattle and back.

New tires and new water pump. I'm ready to go. Leaving tomorrow with plans on arriving Tuesday afternoon. The biggest challenge will be keeping my 11 year old son entertained for several hours a day in the back seat. Say 'Hi' to Robert when you see him. He loves going to the shows but not too patient when it comes to driving there and back.

My 1991 Roadmaster Estate Wagon should turn over 200,000 miles before I get back. This will be its 4th BCA Nationals.

To all the Texas Road Warriors,

I hope you all have a safe and comfortable trip. And I hope it is, at least, no warmer then it has been here in the Northeast the past few days (95-100 and 100+ heat index). At least this has us ready for similar in Concord.

John

To all the Texas Road Warriors,

I hope you all have a safe and comfortable trip. And I hope it is, at least, no warmer then it has been here in the Northeast the past few days (95-100 and 100+ heat index). At least this has us ready for similar in Concord.

John

Agree with John's comments. All you all have a nice trip. I, for one, will definitely miss all you folks this year. I will especially miss seeing Willie's red convertible. :(

Made it to Nashville today, no problems. 13 hours. The Estate wagon is about as full as it can get. I gotta tell you, it is the most comfortable highway Buick I have ever owned. Those that have ever had one know what I'm talking about.

Tomorrow is an easy trip to Gatlinberg, TN where we will stay until Tuesday morning, then on to Concord.

Made it to Nashville today, no problems. 13 hours. The Estate wagon is about as full as it can get. I gotta tell you, it is the most comfortable highway Buick I have ever owned. Those that have ever had one know what I'm talking about.

Tomorrow is an easy trip to Gatlinberg, TN where we will stay until Tuesday morning, then on to Concord.

Amen.. Love my '94 wagon. Crazy comfy. Even on the grueling GA trips I take every few months. Plus with air shocks and a trailer hitch I can pull anything my hear desires (which is a lot :D)

Sent from my mobile device using Forum Runner

Well it looks like driving the Riviera is not in the cards this year.

Went on the last shakedown cruise yesterday and picked up my friend who is going with me. He barely fit in the car his knees were in his face. He got in looking for a coffee cup holder, they didn't have such things in a 64 Riviera.

Anyway we went for a long ride with the A/C on. It was marginal to be polite but we were not sweating. Dropeed my friend off and the car would not start, dead battery. Jumped it and lost a fan belt on the way home. Luckily it has 2.

Took the cqr to Auto Zone and the alternator was marginal w/o the A/C on and failing miserably with A/C on. No Alternator till Wednesday or Thursday. Willie looked and found one online close by (by Texas Standards).

Worked at getting the alternator off but work called so did not make that. Put the battery on the charger last night and this morning my smart charger is saying it failing. I cant believe a 5 year old battery is failing already.

So, I am giving up the car for this trip. As much as Willie is trying to enable me to take it, a combonation of heat and and lack of time to work on the car and trust the car is forcing me to take modern car.

My friend is happy as he was going to go along but was not enthralled with the idea of a 2500 mile trip in a old car.

So I leave tomorrow morning on my way to Jackson Ms.

yea yea, I just happened to hear "Debby" mentioned on the weather channel. I never said I was the brightest crayon in the box. Also heard that it is going to be a nice humid 101 degrees here in Athens Ga Friday. Only 200 mile from Shalotte.... hope every body has clothes pins and ice packs for them fuel lines.

Only 450 miles to the east side of Baton Rouge. 102*...just as hot as home or northern LA. ]Surprisingly the AC is handling it well (insulation does wonders),-.

At the first pit stop the generator was not charging until I revved it up, so I thought it fixed itself (yeah right...); anyhow it was completely dead at the lunch stop. Why do I always change the voltage regulator first?...it NEVER solves a problem. Changing to my grubby old backup generator solved the problem. The generator that I just had rebuilt lasted exactly 200 miles. Time to send a nasty-gram!

Driving east we had a northwest wind so the 17mpg was welcome.

Somewhere in GA tomorrow.

Willie

We made 611 miles to Merdian Ms. in time for Dinner. 5 + hours just to get out of Texas through lots of little towns. Found a bar and grill that served cold beer and deep fried green beans. Had to try them.

100 + degrees from about 10 am - 6 pm or so across Texax, Louisiana, and Mississippi. Today no cooler I am sure.

I am driving near the Tennessee/N. Carolina border today and weather is delightful, compared to the 100+ degrees I left yesterday in Texas and Arkansas (and car's A/C quit almost immediately). Unable to drive my '54 Special because the uphosltery shop still has the front seat after two months.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

I am driving near the Tennessee/N. Carolina border today and weather is delightful, compared to the 100+ degrees I left yesterday in Texas and Arkansas (and car's A/C quit almost immediately). Unable to drive my '54 Special because the uphosltery shop still has the front seat after two months.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

and you couldn't find a five gallon bucket anywhere??? So what are you driving?

We made it to Slidell, La.

578 miles. Two extremely white-knuckle moments in Lake Charles and Baton Rouge bridges. Stop-and-go traffic. First time traveling with a GPS and true-reading temp gauge. Stopped in traffic, had to turn off AC. Temp gauge climbed to 230*. No boilover, but car sputtered up both bridges with the electric fuel pump clattering to push enough fuel.

Gee Mike, why the hot, southern route? Well, I needed to pick up my spare (freshly-rebuilt) starter and generator south of me.... Got there, and the dude had accidentally given my generator to somebody else. So I'm traveling without a spare. Unfortunately, there was wicked squealing at the end of the day. Don't know what was going on, but something is failing.

Also, blowing buttloads of oil out the back again...

Two good things:

My clock started working AND I am getting 17 mpg before adding THIS (that I found through the Pure Gas app on the iPhone):

post-32260-14313907426_thumb.jpg

Another 450 miles to Lagrange, GA and cool 80*, but still a lot of hot driving. The only issue was this morning when the transmission was chattering on acceleration. Checked the fluid and it was marginally low, but not low enough to cause problems; added a little and let it idle until warm and so far has been behaving. You didn't think I was going to turn around did you? Gas mileage is down after losing my tail wind and the added hills. Nothing like sitting behind that big ol' steering wheel and letting stroke on down the road.

Willie

Left St. Louis this morning and was making great time until we ran across a terrible wreck on 40 west of Knoxville. Big truck, little car. Truck on its side on top of little car. Was in a traffic jam and lost one and half hours. Hope nobody was hurt but it looked really bad. Drove on till dark in the hills and put it to bed for the nite. Will arive Charlotte Wednesday sometime.

Keep the brew cold

Chuck Kerls

Hey Guys, save some cold beer for me! Right now, stopping for the night in Charleston, WV. Looks like I have a lot of quite hilly terrain to traverse tomorrow morning to get to Concord. Pushed it 8 hrs straight, but started to chug going up the inclines (slowed down to 30 mph on the freeway with pedal pushed to the metal). Safe travels to you Texas Road Warriors. Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow and popping a few cold ones.

Dudes,

ZERO VAPOR LOCK TODAY!!!!!

Thanks to Caballero Dan for the Pure Gas website. I downloaded the app and my dad has the job of figuring out how to get to it. The last joint we filled up was in Georgia at a BP station off the beaten path. Guy came out, started filling it up for me and asked how the Nailhead was running... WHAT? I said "Good, but I'm blowing oil out like crazy". "Rope seal, huh?"

Who is this guy?

We made it to just north of Atlanta. We'll be there before noon tomorrow.

Wet lunch anybody?

Oh yeah, one of y'all needs to bring or locate a generator for Willie and I to share on the way home. Very jumpy gauge and squealing belt. That generator guy who gave away my fresh spare is on my poop-list.

Dad and I just got a couple of Negra Modelos with Cuban sammiches for dinner.

See y'all mañana amigos...