Torque wrench info

Coley

In my experience of working on cars and trucks over the last 52 years, TORQUE has always been expressed as "foot pounds" or "inch pounds".

But now on some automotive commercials and shows they keep refering to "pounds feet".

What gives and when was this changed?? Pounds feet sounds stupid.

What do ya think?:confused:

It hasn't changed for me and never will. Ever shop manual I have torque is expressed as FT-lbs and never once I've seen it as lbs-ft. It's probably the same group that all likes to say a car "needs restored" or has new breaks or a new cadillac convertor.:rolleyes:

Got me curious too and did a quick Google. It sounds to me it is like the baseball deal with RBI versus RBI's Someone decided that since there were multiple foot pounds being measured that it should be feet pounds or pounds feet. Your right, sounds goofy and my torque wrench says foot pounds!

To be totally technical, torque is correctly expressed in pounds-feet (or pound -foot) in order to differentiate torque from energy which is in foot-pounds although they are often used interchangeably in the case of torque. One pound-foot of torque is created by a one pound force acting at a perpendicular distance of one foot from a pivot point (such as a torque wrench 1 foot long using one pound of force). One foot pound is the energy transferred on applying a force of one pound through a displacement of one foot. Now if you understand all of that you are either an engineer or crazy which is also sometimes used interchangably.

LOL, you's guys is funny!:D

Put a milk weighing hanging type farm scale one foot from the center of the bolt to that 12 inch spot in the wrench and pull until proper torque is noted. Thus the term, "Foot Pounds" 70 LBS of milk is one super good milk cow, and a keeper at that. :cool: Dandy Dave!

Melvin, precisely why when first I worked in a dealership I was a grease monkey, later I became a mechanic and still later as a service manager my guys were technicians! Totally correct it may be newton meters or Olivia Newton John or whatever but most of us grew up with foot pounds or inch pounds. Some dogs never learn a new trick! :)

Guest bkazmer

it's not lb/ft, ft/lb or in/lb.

It's a force times a distance, so any combination of these is "correct."

so I guess the Aussie singer's torque rating could be two newton-feet

I believe it is an affectation that certain, pretentious, people have taken up to make themselves sound smarter than they actually are. Kinda like saying that you were "gifted" something or pronouncing endive as "ohndeeve". Then there's Madonna and her bogus English accent. Golly, it makes her sound so urbane and sophisticated. I think I'll do it too.

It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

It hasn't changed for me and never will. Ever shop manual I have torque is expressed as FT-lbs and never once I've seen it as lbs-ft. It's probably the same group that all likes to say a car "needs restored" or has new breaks or a new cadillac convertor.:rolleyes:

LOL know exactly what you mean...........hahaha

I believe it is an affectation that certain, pretentious, people have taken up to make themselves sound smarter than they actually are. Kinda like saying that you were "gifted" something or pronouncing endive as "ohndeeve". Then there's Madonna and her bogus English accent. Golly, it makes her sound so urbane and sophisticated. I think I'll do it too.

It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

ya right, she's from Mich.

In my experience of working on cars and trucks over the last 52 years, TORQUE has always been expressed as "foot pounds" or "inch pounds".

But now on some automotive commercials and shows they keep refering to "pounds feet".

What gives and when was this changed?? Pounds feet sounds stupid.

What do ya think?:confused:

I think you should have stayed awake in high school physics class, where you would have heard the correct term pounds-feet. ;)

Sometimes it's fun to start an argument. Which is more accurate and repeatable, a simple "pointer" style torque wrench or a Snap-On type "click" style torque wrench? "Pounds-feet" is the more correct usage but only physicists and some engineers would really care. Anyone else remember when the US of A was all set to go metric in 1980? I remember many gas pumps being converted to litres in anticipation of the big change which apparently never happened.

Guest bkazmer

and as a physicist I'm sure you just love the engineering fudge factor gc to convert "pounds mass" to "pounds force"

I do not worry over much about mixed units and can deal with them in turn. In my professional life, I normally work with SI units but the mass unit in traditional units is the SLUG. One pound will accelerate 1 slug at 1 foot per second per second. Just like 1 newton will accelerate 1 kilogram at 1 meter per second per second. Gravity produces a force on masses (kind of what gravity is) and has to be taken into account as needed.

F=dMdt reduces to F=Ma in the non-relativistic world and works fine when I am dealing with cars.

:eek: And how much does a Slug weigh??? :P..... :D Dandy Dave!

At earth gravity, a Slug weighs about two stones four.

Ahhh, but of course. And less on the Moon and Mars, and more on Jupiter assuming it survives the ride to the surface. :cool: Dandy Dave!