My wife says my shop didn't look inviting!!!

auburnseeker

I was working outside the other day and the sun was shining just right in the afternoon. I happened to be at just the right angle and caught this glimpse of my shop when I went inside to get some more tools. (I was under a vehicle outside because there was no room inside!!! I rarely have both doors open and the sun shining in just lit everything up nice.

I didn't stage anything for the photo. What you see is what it loks like all the time.

That looks pretty inviting to me. My wife doesn't think so. She says it's too cluttered. I have to admit. Sometimes working on my cars is a bit of a challenge. I sell parts so that seems to take over most of the space.

Now I know what it looks like for someone stopping the first time. :D

I thought you might all enjoy the shot.

post-43003-143138729863_thumb.jpg

Edited by auburnseeker
spelling (see edit history)

Some NEAT stuff in there, including the "red car". I always liked SquareBirds!

Unfortunately, I can see what she's talking about. But then, how many private individuals' car shops (at the residence) are not a little cluttered?

Key thing is that should emergency personnel need to get around the car(s) when nobody's home, can they reasonably do that while in full "emergency responder" gear?

Neat 'Bird!

NTX5467

Looks fine to me. Better inform the wife that it's impossible for someone not familiar what "MANS LAND" is to make a comment.

If you want to have some fun with her and she is not a white gloves type type of G.I. drill instructor, you can always pull out the fridge or stove and take some pictures. Then you can tell her the old saying of sweeping someone else's doorstep before ones own is not a good idea.;)

Don

Guest Kingoftheroad

Looks pretty cool to me !! From the pic, it looks to have a nostalgic look..

I've been trying to clean / fix up my garage too. Another work in progress...

Maybe I'll knock a wall out so when I pull into my garage, I'll be driving into my living room. Then I can watch tv while sitting next to my loved ones (my cars)...lol

Well I have to be completely fair her. The photo I posted is as you walk in the door. Then if you turn and look it is more cluttered. I never seem to have the time to "Clean up" Being in the parts business is also hard to keep it neat. I tried for a couple of months and it seems I got interupted in the middle of more things than I finished. 95% of my parts are NOS so it's hard to toss something that looks insignificant as that's usually what is worth more than the shiney chrome pieces. The manufacturers didn't make it easy to ID stuff either. Lots of parts have casting numbers which pretty much mean nothing. Other part numbers printed on boxes seem to just not exist in my books and I have a really comprehensive collection for most makes including the books with the number changes. With all this it's real easy to end up with piles of what do these fit type of parts.

I even Wholesale stuff off just to try to clean out but that doesn't get rid of stuff fast enough. A better layout to my shop would help as well. A 1600 square foot building comprised of just 2 20x40' bays is not really ideal. I have a 20 foot ceiling but unless I put Shelves all the way up that's pretty much waisted space.

A 1600 square foot building comprised of just 2 20x40' bays is not really ideal. I have a 20 foot ceiling but unless I put Shelves all the way up that's pretty much waisted space.

20' ceiling? I'm jealous.

Have you thought of building a loft? Wouldn't necessarily need to be a complete 2nd story but even half or 2/3 size of your floor space would be good for parts storage.

Guest Jim_Edwards
I have a 20 foot ceiling but unless I put Shelves all the way up that's pretty much waisted space.

Not wasted if you intend or have put a in lift. For typical car you need not less than 14 feet beneath the ceiling, pickups need a couple of feet more, and anything taller like a hightop van needs that 20 feet. Unless of course you don't mind smashing the roof of the vehicle or punching holes in the ceiling.

Best thought may be one bay set up for lift and one with a floored mezzanine above it for collecting all those spare parts and storing all the junk that five years from now you'll be wondering why you decided to keep it.

I've only had the shop 4 years and have been wondering for the last 3 why I am keeping half of what's in there. I thought of the second story as well but hate to loose the headroom. Besides I don't want to cover up my sign on the inside wall. Another of those things I just had to have when I found it at the local scrap yard.

It's neon and says Coach House and is 4 foot by 40 foot long. This is the only photo I have of it on my Computer.

post-43003-143138733725_thumb.jpg

A man's or woman's shop is their palace. Some are neater than others but it is like a persons desk, if it's empty there isn't much going on. My shop isn't always neat and clean because there is always something going on. I restore and repair old cars for myself, carriages for my daughter, boats for my son, and anything my grandchildren bring in for repair. Right now I'm restoring a carillon, never did one of those before, and shafts for a cutter, getting that time of year.

I have a good friend that is an accountant and not good at mechanics but his wife is and has her own shop restoring cars. For Christmas one year he gave her a frame straightening machine and she was delighted. My wife would have killed me.