What age, and what do you drive?

Guest 2fit661ca

I'm 40 and have owned my 47' Special for 5 years. This car was local and I had admired it for many years before inquiring if it was for sale. I Liked many makes/models and but didn't know Buick quality until owning one. My kids especially love this car and it's a good excuse to take it slow. Hope the pic's attach.

-Frank

post-60373-143138482894_thumb.jpg

post-60373-143138482915_thumb.jpg

post-60373-143138483163_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Well, hope to be driving my 1958 Buick Special convertible soon....... need to finish a complete brake job and replace that pesky trany seal (sigh....)

This is my high school car and the one I dated my wife in so it has s p e c i a l meaning for me! The picture is the day I bought it.

In the mean time I'm not without driver satisfaction with having a stock 1952 Ford F-1, flat head, three on the tree that is a fun driver. Additionally, last year I inherited three of my Dad's anitques when he decided to give up his drivers license because of his eye sight. They are: 1920 Willys Overland touring, 1928 Whippet cabriolet and 1951 Nash Canadian Statesman 4 door. After sitting for almost five years managed to get the Whippet running last fall and brought Dad with me to the the Ypsilanti Orphan Car Show. What a Great Day!

The picture of the Whippet is after a 28 year amature restoration.

So... it's Easter, the sun is shinning....... Time to go for a ride!

Doug BCA# 35039

post-36036-143138918629_thumb.jpg

post-36036-14313891864_thumb.jpg

post-36036-143138918643_thumb.jpg

Age 42, with a '41 Buick Century that I've had since, whoa, 2002. Has it been 10 years already? Still in the garage waiting for the restoration to be finished. I drove it exactly once before tearing it apart for a full restoration.

For a driver, I have a 1929 Cadillac I bought about a year ago. Everyone asks if it's my father's car. Bah.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NjgAi9_Own8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Guest gunjeep444

My dad bought a brand new 53 Buick 2 dr hardtop when we lived in Augusta. Had the V-8, dealer had to re-do the valves, as I recall. We towed our first house trailer with it to Washington state in 54. Later on we had a 56, I think it was a Century. My grandfather ended up with it.

I got my 56 Roadmaster two years ago and have enjoyed restoring it, guess you are never done, always something else to do. I really like it with the stock springs on it now, rides like a Buick! Yank out the radio is next, and get the brakes worked on.

post-67843-143138919268_thumb.jpg

post-67843-143138919271_thumb.jpg

Hey, I am 65, and admired many Buicks over all the years, but never owned one until recently.

What a dilemma!!

I love them, and went head over heels over them when I actually found them...all Woodies, I must confess (check my username!!).

I have memories of high school, riding around in cars with my buddies that flat went--whoosh!!

All Buicks, of course, but not Woodies!!

That is OK, they are all great.

I currently own 8 Buick Woodies, circa 1947-1953, but I haven't figured out how to add them to my link, or whatever it is called, so you guys can peruse them, or skip them!! LOL

I am glad you youngsters have found this marque early in life, I only wish I had done so, decades earlier.

I added some shots of my latest project, a 1951 Super Estate Wagon.

It is coming along very well, but there always seems to be more to get done!!

Cheers, Mike

post-79354-143138921344_thumb.jpg

post-79354-14313892135_thumb.jpg

post-79354-143138921356_thumb.jpg

post-79354-143138921362_thumb.jpg

post-79354-143138921369_thumb.jpg

post-79354-143138921375_thumb.jpg

I just turned '65. I went to a rural grade school and started driving a '50 Special to school in last half of my 8th grade year (1961). After that, the '50 was replaced with a '55 Special, then a '57 Century, then a '63 LeSabre. In college I drove our '63 Wildcat and bought a '64 Wildcat of my own my Jr. year. After some time in the service, I got out and bought a '66 Riviera to use as a daily driver while my wife drove a '73 Regal. We then bought a '78 LeSabre. I then started tinkering with old Rivieras while my wife drove whatever econbox she liked best. I started out with a '63 Riviera in '82 - which I still have stored. Then (all Rivieras) another '63, then a '64, a '66, a '67, another '64 - in the garage. I then moved up a couple of generations. Two '83 XX anniversary editions, an '84 convertible, an '84 coupe, an '85 coupe, and then my wife got involved. She (or so she thinks) now owns a '93 Riviera.

My dad was a Buick mechanic for a long time and every once in a while he'd come home with a skinned knuckle or a scratch and state "Buicks just run in my blood." I think he passed that gene to me.

Guest RainierHooker

Hey there,

I'm 28 and at present only have one Buick, my 1938 Special Business Coupe (46). Its current garage mates are a 1990 BMW E30 M3, a 1984 BMW 325e, and a 1962 Chevy II Wagon. Next up on the to-do list is a 1959 Chevrolet Apache that I've had stashed at my Dad's place since before I could drive. Dad said from day-one that it was nothing more than a parts truck, but the body is in way better condition than his almost-daily-driven '58 Apache, and I could use a truck for parts runs...

Hey there,

I'm 28 and at present only have one Buick, my 1938 Special Business Coupe (46). Its current garage mates are a 1990 BMW E30 M3, a 1984 BMW 325e, and a 1962 Chevy II Wagon. Next up on the to-do list is a 1959 Chevrolet Apache that I've had stashed at my Dad's place since before I could drive. Dad said from day-one that it was nothing more than a parts truck, but the body is in way better condition than his almost-daily-driven '58 Apache, and I could use a truck for parts runs...

I looked at the pictures on your member profile. That's a good looking '38 with a rare hard rubber steering wheel. The plate says Oregon is that where you are? It's a long way but none the less I'll invite you to come to the 75th anniversary event of 36-38 Buick's this year in Charlotte, NC at the BCA National Meet. We are gonna have a bunch around thirty 36-38 Buicks in attendance it looks like, maybe more. If not you'll have to come to the BCA National in 2014 when it is in Portland, OR.

I'm 35. Bought my 1955 Buick (the first car I ever bought with my own money) at age 24 on Super Bowl Sunday, 2001, on eBay. Bought all of the cars you see below on eBay. I like to think that driving the 1989 Ford Taurus my parents bought me (from 1994-2001) forced me to buy something with style.

I'm 22years old & have a love affair with vintage Buicks. I learnt to drive in our current 1937 Buick Special. I missed out on a 1938 Buick Sedan a couple of months go..... not worry though, I have many, many years in the Buick game yet.

Hi 2fit - I'm 54 for the next 2 weeks (then I'm officially a Senior.) I've only been a BCA and AACA member for about a year, but I've loved Buicks as far back as I can remember. Always had Buicks in the family - my Dad had a couple station wagons including a 66 Sportwagon and a 70 Estate Wagon. My two older brothers had their share - 66 Wildcat Convertible, 63 Electra, 67 Electra, three 69 Rivieras, 70 Electra. My first was a 57 Special Convertible - I've been storing it for 35 years and I'm in the process of restoring it now. In between, I've had a 72 Riviera and two 57 Special sedans and countless other non-Buicks that I won't mention. At any rate, I think your thread was a great idea - it gives you a chance to get to know your peeps on the forum.

Steve (Pittsburgh) Go Pens!

Guest RainierHooker
I looked at the pictures on your member profile. That's a good looking '38 with a rare hard rubber steering wheel. The plate says Oregon is that where you are? It's a long way but none the less I'll invite you to come to the 75th anniversary event of 36-38 Buick's this year in Charlotte, NC at the BCA National Meet. We are gonna have a bunch around thirty 36-38 Buicks in attendance it looks like, maybe more. If not you'll have to come to the BCA National in 2014 when it is in Portland, OR.

Thanks for the invite. I don't think I'll be making it out to Charlotte this year, but Portland sounds more than do-able next year. That is providing the car is back together by then, as I plan on tackling some body work and paint over the winter between then and now. At the moment the car is mostly in the condition shown in my pics, but the oregon plates have been switched for 1938 Washington plates. The car and I live in Tacoma, WA...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm fourtyone and moved to Atlanta from Ireland in 99' , I bought a four door white 65 Wildcat . Fell in love with Buicks.

Then I bought a total beater 1969 Electra 225 LTD [14 mpg !!]which got me addicted to hardtops.

I put the 400 transmission and 430-4 [from the Electra]into a chevy powered 1968 Buick Skylark.

I also have a 63 Riviera in Copper Mist which I love.

I miss the Electra.

This should be a link to a video of my friend driving my Riviera following me in my Skylark on the way to the drive-in until the starter broke in half in my Skylark because the machine shop lost the starter bracket. I need a new one of those still!!!!!!

Edited by Greenelectra
add video link. (see edit history)

I'm fourtyone and moved to Atlanta from Ireland in 99' , I bought a four door white 65 Wildcat . Fell in love with Buicks.

Then I bought a total beater 1969 Electra 225 LTD [14 mpg !!]which got me addicted to hardtops.

I put the 400 transmission and 430-4 [from the Electra]into a chevy powered 1968 Buick Skylark.

I also have a 63 Riviera in Copper Mist which I love.

I miss the Electra.

This should be a link to a video of my friend driving my Riviera following me in my Skylark on the way to the drive-in until the starter broke in half in my Skylark because the machine shop lost the starter bracket. I need a new one of those still!!!!!!

Greenelectra,

I hope youre considering coming to the BCA National Meet in Charlotte in June. S

Check out more info at the top of the main Buick page. :)

Greenelectra,

I hope youre considering coming to the BCA National Meet in Charlotte in June. S

Check out more info at the top of the main Buick page. :)

Mark [Marck]

I will give it a shot as I've never been to a Buick club meet in the twelve years I've been driving nothing but Buicks.

Now that I have my cooling system up to Southern standards and hopefully my gas consumption under control I'll certainly try to make it .

Paul [Greenelectra]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest 68 Buick 3369

I'm 45 and started buying Buicks when I was 16 or 17.

Heres the list:

61 Electra

55 Special Tourback Sedan

78 LeSabre

68 Special Deluxe 4 dr sedan (still currently own)

71 Skylark Custom 4 dr

72 Skylark SunCoupe (broken frame, scrapped it) :(

78 Skylark 2 dr

78 LeSabre Turbo Sport Coupe (exact same color as in the dealership brochure, blue and blackout trim) LOVED that car!

83 LeSabre Limited 4 dr (awsesome car)

90 Century Custom 4 dr (fast little sleeper!) :)

93 LeSabre 4 dr

98 Skylark 4 dr (last year for the Skylarks)

78 LeSabre Limited

Currently driving whats left of a 99 olds intrigue gx, 163,000 and still going strong. Hopefully my next car will be a Buick.

The other cars I owned were:

95 cavalier

96 Pontiac Bonneville Se

66 chevy nova 2

78 ford wagon

I miss the 78 Sport Coupe, the 83 Limited and the 90 Century. Wish I could find ones just like them. Maybe someday.

I'm 67 and my list of Buicks starts in 1963 with a 53 Special 2dr ht , then a 1930-47,

a 1916-D46, 1922-47, a 1965 Skylark Gran Sport 2dr, 1964 Rivera, and last but not least

a 1922-55 Sport Touring, I wish I had kept the 64 Riv, I had a lot of fun with that car.

John Beatty

Guest Killerbunny

I have 26years I have 1953 Packard Cavalier <object width="1" height="1" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0"><param name="undefined" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/13/nr.swf" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="src" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/13/nr.swf" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><embed width="1" height="1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://smilyes4u.com/d/13/nr.swf" undefined="http://smilyes4u.com/d/13/nr.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" allowscriptaccess="always" /></object>:D

• 3 months later...
Guest timinbovey

At first I thought this was a silly question. Until I thought about it, and read so many interesting responses.

I'm 54, and i drive a 2010 Ford Escape. Why? Because I need all wheel drive to get me through the snow at 4:30 in the morning to get to the radio station so I can announce to everyone else when school is closed! It's big enough to haul the band equipment in, and haul home tons of rummage sale and ham fest treasures.

I realized then, that I've never owned a Buick. Not until last month, when Dad passed the '51 onto me. The more I thought about it, I realized DAD never had a Buick either, except for the '51. He must have liked it, since he bought it in '51 and kept it all these years (granted in storage since 71, and not driven since 66). He DOES still brag about it's greatness on a regular basis. "Of course it still runs... it's a BUICK" Now, when I was a kid, and the '51 was stored in Grandma's garage, I sat in it and played driving a lot when were were visiting, so -- from a kid point of view, that counts as driving a Buick. I'm really basically a Ford guy. However, I have great appreciation for "defunct" cars. As a grown up, I've had a Hudson, two Edsels, two Corvairs (one up until this past summer when it was pretty much wiped out in a flood -- we're using the insurance money to get Dad's '51 back on the road). The first car I ever bought myself was a '58 Edsel -- that was in 1975 -- my senior year in high school -- bought it from my cousin - my hippie cousin -- who went to Viet Nam. Collected Edsels. And Studebakers. I've had a long list of odd cars, including a Corvair with a Crown conversion ( V-8 327 in the back seat). But never a Buick. But my whole life, from my earliest childhood memories, the '51 has been THE Buick. The only one I knew. Anyone ever said Buick, even from the time I was 4 years old -- I always saw the smiling grille of the '51 in my minds eye. 50 years later, I'm laying under it putting in a new exhaust system and brake lines. Odd, isn't it? I recommend my "Bringing Dad's '51 Roadmaster Back" thread in the me and my Buick section if you want to see some groovy 50's photos of the car when it was new!

Tim in Bovey

I'm 62 and I've owned 30 cars since I got my license 46 years ago but only 2 have been Buicks - the '66 Lesabre Custom sedan I bought in 1999 and sold in 2005 and my uncle's '71 Lesabre Custom sedan that is out in the garage with my '72 LTD. Sorry to say, after trying out a new '12 LaCrosse and '13 Verano, I bought a '13 Taurus SEL. I liked the looks better and it fit me better than the LaCrosse. I liked the Verano, but am not ready to do that small yet.

I am 63, born & raised in Minnesota, moved to Texas in '74. I learned to drive on my dad's '58 F-100 3 speed manual and our '64 Buick Special also a base car with no options other than AM radio and back up lights. First car I bought was a '68 Impala fast back and first new car was a '71 Plymouth Satellite. Then in order to the best I remember, '75 AMC Sportabout, '79 Impala 2 dr., '81 Chevy Citation 4 speed, '85 LeBaron "K car" , 88 LeSabre (used car bought maroon, repainted blue), 95 LeSabre, 2001 Lesabre, 2008 Lucerne. I also have had pickups around for local driving to work including an old Datsun/Nissan, '87 Dodge Dakota, '96 GMC Sonoma and my present 2007 GMC Sierra. We inherited my wife's aunt's '67 LeSabre in 2000 and I have since bought a '67 Riviera. So that makes my current stable the Lucerne, the two '67 Buicks and the Sierra Pickup.

Chuck Bloomberg

I WILL BE 51 IN NOV,

IN THE SUMMER OF 1979 I NEEDED A CAR TO GET TO MY NEW JOB.

I LIVED IN SAN FRANCISCO THEN, SO I SAW AN ADD IN THE LOCAL AUTO TRADER FOR A 1950 PONTIAC FASTBACK TWO DOOR. MY DAD AND BROTHER WENT ALONG FOR THE TRIP THE CAR WAS GORGEOUS VERY LOW MILES

AND PERFECT. BUT MY DAD SAID YOU SHOULD BUY SOMETHING A LITTLE NEWER SO YOU DON'T BREAK DOWN SOMEWHERE . . . :(:(

WELL I ENDED GETTING A 1976 BUICK REGAL

Corinth05_0008.jpg

AND I HAVE HAD MY '48 SINCE '05

th_img_0622.jpg

th_img_0619.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest COMPACTBC

I recently won a prize at the ROA nat'l in Monterey, CA for being the oldest member in attendence. i've since had another birthday so now I am 81 years young. My everyday driver is a 2006 Dodge Charger R/T with a Hemi. I did not order the SRT8, an extra $2000.00 gas guziler tax, besides I can get in enough trouble with just the R/T Hemi. I got tired of waiting for Buick to make a new rear wheel drive car. This car is a REAL "E" ticket ride. Right now I also own 5 buicks as listed with my signiture. I am the original owner of the '62 Special Deluxe Conv which has a factory 4 speed trans. The '62 Special Deluxe Sedan has a small block Chev under the hood which is hot enough to go over 100 mph in a quarter mile. No matter how old you get, you never get over the desire to drag race.

• 1 month later...
Guest countrywill

Im 32 and I have a 48 super. This is my first Buick and my first passenger car Ive ever owned. My others have been Ford pick ups.

• 1 month later...
Guest mark brock

53 and holding, drove a 39 in High school, everyone poked fun at me, sold it a few years ago for $21,000.00, probably a mistake, but needed to make some room, and 15K profit seemed to make sence, sold a 69 skylark convertble, last year that was a dream to drive, rest of my herd are chevy's 37 2 door sedan, hotrod, ,39 business coup, all original except bearings, and 39 1/2 ton pickup, I'm thinking about being my next build or re-build, un decided yet. welcome

Guest drh4683

I'm 29, my first car was an all original 1968 Buick Electra 225 which I still own 14 years later. My dad got me into cars when I was quite young, he would take me to car shows and I took interest at an early age. I really enjoy cars when they are in original or restored to original condition.

Other cars I own:

1960 Chevrolet Impala Sport Sedan (three speed on the column with the 235 inline 6)

1965 Chrysler Newport Town Sedan (383 V8)

1970 Buick Electra 225 (455 V8)

1971 Dodge Coronet Brougham (318 V8)

The only problem is, I wish I had room to keep them all at home! I only keep 2 at home at a time in the garage, otherwise I keep a couple in a storage building which isn't too close to home. I try to change them up a bit by having different ones at the house so I can equally enjoy them throughout the season, but that sometimes doesn't happen. It's hard to let them go though even though a more practical option for me would be to have only 2 cars!