What age, and what do you drive?

Guest 2fit661ca

Guest Two Roadmasters

I´m 57 and bought my ever first owned car in 1973 when I found a -36 Roadmaster mod. 81in a junkyard here in Sweden.I was very close to have become the owner of a -39 Packard mod 1701, just the weeks before this car. But the farmer that had the Packard could never come to a decision for selling it. The -36 was beeing restored in the late 70´s and by that time it was not as easy to get hold of parts and information as nowadays. But I managed to fix it up beeing kind of manic to use every possible original part. I used nitrocellulose paint which also is a real challenge as the surface needs to be as even as a glass. This car is the only one that is driveable here. Fact is that it was sold new in USA in -36 but wnet with an immigrant into Sweden in 1937. Frame no. is 2908317 and engine no. is 83067827, which I think is a fairly early production.

The other old car I found in 1977 was the -38 Roadmaster mod. 80C, beeing restored in the late 80`s. What I learned from the mistakes on the -36 was not repeated on this car.

Both of these cars is a joy to drive and I can´t think of the thought of selling them as you have put your soul into them over the long restoration period. I think that you know what I mean.

I joined the BCA in 1976 and check this forum on a daily basis. One of the many things I really enjoy is how we all try to help each other from our own experiences and mistakes/successes. There is always an answer to a question from another person.

Mats Ahrin

BCA#5373

Nykoping, Sweden

Guest Dans 77 Limited

Im 46 and my current daily driver is a 2001 Jeep Cherokee . I love it . When Im not driving that to work im driving my 93 Chevy Pickup. I currently own 2 Buicks a 77 Electra Limited 2 door and a 67 Skylark 2 door post. Ive been told that the Skylark is unusual because most 2 door Skylarks were hardtops and not post cars. Its also fairly well optioned for a 67.

the Buicks I have owned and moved on from are:

1979 Skyhawk - Hands down the absolute worst car Ive ever owned in my entire life. To call it a piece of sh*t would be insulting to sh*t. Every tow truck driver in the city of Pittsburgh knew me on a first name basis.

1981 Skylark Limited - nice comfortable little car literally ran it till the motor and the floors both gave up the ship. Would take another one in a heartbeat.

1988 Regal- My wifes car. great car and even though its been 15 years since we traded it in, I still know where it is and if I ever catch a for sale sign on it I may just be tempted.

1968 Wildcat convertible- great car but just a little bit beyond my abilities and financial concerns for me to save. It needed a lot of work. But the good news is I sold it to someone who could do the work and Im happy to say that as of last summer the big cat was out on the prowl again and looking like a brand new car.

Welcome to the board

Dan

An interesting theme in this thread is the age at which people got their first Buick. High school or right out of there-of. I always believed that given the chance most car guys would want to replicate what they had in that time frame.

Guest Skyking

I'm 64 and at 16 started driving my dad's 55 Century. I bought my first Buick, a 55 Special model 48 in 1976. In 1989 I bought my current 62 Invicta convertible, then in 1998 I bought a 63 LeSabre and sold that to by a 1966 Skylark convertible. That's one I regret selling......My wife has a 2000 Century. I been thinking about rejoining the BCA.

I really miss the Bugles

Edited by Skyking (see edit history)

I'm 55, my first buick was a 1970 Buick LeSabre Convertible (The White One) I totaled it out, still crying about that one. My 2nd was a 1970 Riviera. I've owned every full sized 1970 Buick through the years. I now have a very sweet 29,000 mile 1970 Wildcat Convertible. (Bamboo Cream) I also have a very nice 66,500 mile 1982 Riviera Convertible.

I bought the White one from my Dad a long time Buick owner, He's owned some great ones 1947 Roadmaster Conv; 1957 Roadmaster Conv. 1965 Wildcat Conv. My Uncle was also a Buick guy, 1962;65;and 69 Electra Conv. and a 1971 Centurian Conv.

post-70479-143138435092_thumb.jpg

post-70479-143138435097_thumb.jpg

post-70479-1431384351_thumb.jpg

Guest Dans 77 Limited
An interesting theme in this thread is the age at which people got their first Buick. High school or right out of there-of. I always believed that given the chance most car guys would want to replicate what they had in that time frame.

My first Buick was the Skyhawk and I bought it when I was 20 years old. Im the exception to the above statement. I dont ever even want to SEE another hatchback Skyhawk just the thought of ever having to drive one of those things again makes me break out in hives. It was so bad that to this day Im still amazed that I ever bought anopther Buick again in my life. I mean dont get me wrong ...... Im glad I did give Buicks another chance and those Buicks I have owned since have redeemed them in my eyes and my 77 has been for the most part a joy to own and drive, but that Skyhawk was truly the most unreliable car I have ever seen. I mean seriously it was so bad that I stuck the Skyhawk in my Dads garage, dropped the insurance on it and just made payments on it while I drove a $300 rusted out Cutlass with no heat. The Cutlass was a better car or at least a more reliable one.

My apologies to the Skyhawk owners on the board but it truly was a terrible experience.

Dan

I also bought a skyhawk once. a 1.8 cc 4 banger with an automatic for $150.00. I think it was a brazillian motor, if I recall correctly. I didn't mind the car and it got great milage, but I didn't have it too long either. One day after driving home in a bad snowstorm, I started it and a cloud of steam came out from underneath. I had heard the 1.8's were prone to blowing head gaskets and cracked heads. So I parked it and pulled the head. I took it to be checked at the local parts/ machine shop. Recieving a good report I sent it on to be checked for warpage and they found a crack in the head. I often wonder if they swapped heads on me in order to resell a good head for more than they were charging me for my work. But, upon hearing the cost for a replacement I left the car alone. Eventually I came across another one which ran good but was rusted to death. I got that car and sold both to the mechanic friend who told me the subframe had to be dropped to swap the motors. I was happy to be rid of that thing.

Guest shorttimer

I guess you could say I grew up in under and around Buicks. My late father belonged to a host of clubs, but memories from my early years include a steady stream of Buick-related people and events at the house (I can distinctly remember waking up to find Greg Field sleeping on our sofa.....). I attended my first national at Flint in '78 and went to LA in '85.

By the time my father passed away in the early 1990's my interest in old cars had taken a back seat to the typical typical teenage pursuits. Fast forward a decade or so and while searching google for information on some of my father's work, I came across a reference to him on this very message board. I signed up and slowly re-acquainted myself with the the cars.

Having the chance to reconnect with some of the cars and the people I remembered fondly from my childhood, I guess you could say a bit of the bug came back. In the fall of 2009 I acquired my first Buick, which now shares a garage with the last Buick my father purchased.

But back to the intent of the thread, I am 38 and have two Buicks: the black and white '60 Electra 225s pictured below. The 4839 is waiting patiently for an engine rebuild and the 4867 could use a set of replacement doors (little help, anyone?) before I address the paint and bodywork, but the hardest part of owning these cars is finding the time to work on them and a garage that will accommodate them both.

And in keeping with the theme of the thread, I've attached a story my father wrote for the Bugle back in '67 or '68 about one of his first Buick purchases. His '40 might have only been $50, but at least my Electra runs.....

post-37076-143138435904_thumb.jpg

post-37076-14313843591_thumb.jpg

post-37076-143138435915_thumb.jpg

post-37076-143138435919_thumb.jpg

Guest 2fit661ca

shorttimer, great story!! Another common trend seems to be "I grew up in a Buick household"

nhyr2009; share more about the car and it's history!!! That thing is too clean to not have one.

I never said what our daily drivers are in my original post. My wife drives an 07 Mercury Mariner; I bought an 09 Mustang convertible in August 09. Always wanted a Mustang and a convertible, so I did it. The Mustang is in the garage for the winter with my 71 Lesabre and 72 LTD while I drive the '89 Cutlass Ciera I inherited from my uncle - who was the one who owned the '71 Lesabre. The Cutlass has 52K on it, along with the typical GM rust around the edges. It runs great but I miss all the stuff my Grand Prix had (traded it for the Mustang). I've put a lot of money into the Cutlass - mostly from lack of use before I took possession. I'm seriously thinking of trading the Mustang and selling the Cutlass for a Fusion or MKZ hybrid or perhaps a Regal.

Guest nhyr2009

The car was originally owned by a banker, he would use the car only when he would go out with his mistress. His wife found out about his mistress and the use of the car however. From then on she forced him to store the car and not touch it or use it at all. It was then sold to a couple in central NH who did not use it all that much either. From there my grandfather bought the car and again did not drive it all that much. When he bought the car it was in GREAT condition, perfect interior mohair...perfect, great condition on the whole car. He then left the car outside for several years after a stroke, didn't even cover it over. Several family members wanted to care for it, but he wouldn't let anyone touch it. Finally, just a few years ago, he gave it to us, Scott and I have been working on it ever since with the help of Buick enthusiasts all over the country!

Guest Rob McDonald

ETHAN, we don't get a lot of your kind on this forum. That is, 20 year olds with 74 year old Buicks. As for gay men, I'm sure that there are just as many of those on the AACA Forums as there are in the general population - around 10%, so it's said. Thanks for being up front with us and for sharing your grandfather's story and that of your terrific old car.

Guest 2fit661ca
turning 16 in a couple months. Bought my first Reatta when I was 13.. Had a couple since then.. I don't even have my license yet, and I've already owned 4 cars.. Let just say I've been bitten bad... ;):D

You, sir! suck very much!!!!! :D (Very jealous) ...(and I'm just joking, you don't actually suck)

turning 16 in a couple months. Bought my first Reatta when I was 13.. Had a couple since then.. I don't even have my license yet, and I've already owned 4 cars.. Let just say I've been bitten bad... ;):D

It frightens me to think you could be dating my daughter as the two of you are within a year of each other...she now has some access to a Reatta...she was on a judging team for the Reattas in Colorado Springs in 2009...I'm not making any suggestions now...since I have to be her father first :D;):eek:

It frightens me to think you could be dating my daughter as the two of you are within a year of each other...she now has some access to a Reatta...she was on a judging team for the Reattas in Colorado Springs in 2009...I'm not making any suggestions now...since I have to be her father first :D;):eek:

Well, I'm already "taken".. ;) and you probably wouldn't want her dating a nut like her father. ;) :eek: But might she be interested in a nice '90 gold Reatta convertible as a first car? ;):D

Edited by NCReatta (see edit history)

Guest Sergeant Major

51 and I got my Cat when I was 47. But it wasn't my first introduction to Buicks. My parents had a 72 Skylark 2 door. They always liked Buicks. I enjoyed the sheer power of the Lark. Got to take my drivers test in it. :D

I will be 33 in March, and have loved classic Buicks for as long as I can remember. Growing up, my dad always had old Buicks. He had an auto repair shop, so it was easy to get the cars worked on mechanically. Problem was, he never had any time to restore many of them in any other way. When he was a young man (about my age and even a bit younger), he began to acquire nice low-mileage Buicks. He then obtained storage, and many of them sat for decades without moving. In later years he began to collect some that were not as cherry, but restorable (they always ran at least). He did have a few around at all times that were driveable. I only saw one Buick get restored entirely growing up - a 65 Wildcat convertible. Others, I remember from my childhood that were sitting in storage. In fact, what I believe to be my oldest memory is of riding to the beach in a 63 Wildcat convertible after my brother's soccer game.

Occasionally I would visit some of these cars in storage, and be tortured by not being able to get them out and get them on the road. My father sold his his business and then started to get very sick around 2006, and it was decided that it was time to begin thinning out the collection. I spent the next few years removing the cars from storage, cleaning them up, in some cases getting them running, and selling them. I got to experience the joy of unearthing "barn find" treasures many times over, which was the only thing that gave me the energy to do so much work, besides the fact that it was helping my parents out. My father passed away in 2008, but before he did he got to see most of his cars one last time, and even got to see a few get back on the road. One of these cars is the 57 Roadmaster which I now own, which had sat since 1977 when my dad took the family to Disneyland in Florida in it. I found receipts in the glovebox from Florida from the summer of 1977. I was born in March the following spring, and the math tells me that my mother was pregnant with me during that trip!

I owned my first Buick myself when I was 22 - a 1990 Reatta convertible. It was my daily driver for 2 years when I was working full-time 45 miles away and going to college at night, so I added to the miles quickly. I sold it with around 133k still looking nearly like new (I did put a new top on it). I loved that car and it ran terriffic. The only reason I sold it was because I didn't have a garage to put it in, and thought it should be "retired' from daily duty before it started to rapidly deteriorate, so it was really a "mercy sale". That is the only Buick that I have had as a daily driver, although I now have a few classic Buicks including (2) 57's and a 68 Wildcat.

So, I'm an all-around car guy and have owned most domestic brands over the years, but am partial to the classic Buicks. The new Buicks are a bit more than I want to spend and have thus far not been seeking a sedan, but one day I'll probably buy one. Until then, I have plans to own other classic Buicks eventually including a 49 (preferably) sedanette, another Reatta, and a GN.

Well, when I was 12 (early 2001), I bought and drove the '66 Mustang for my last two years of high school (2004-2006), during the same time I inherited the '21 Chevy from my grandpa (2005), then, about 2 weeks after I graduated and about 4 before I went to college I bought the Mark V (2006), and I drove it to the first two years of college (during this time the '41 Dodge was given to me, because no one in the fam wanted it! in 2006) and I bought the '48 Lincoln back (in 2007 at age 19), then when gas prices his $5 here in ca in 2008 I bought the '89 lesabre that I had and I drove that the last two years of college (when I was 20, 21, and almost 22), then that was totaled last year by an ass that ran a red light (I was proud of that buick!), and a few weeks later I bought the 1991 Lesabre 4 door, which is my daily driver, and weekend driver because gas is now so high again!). So, I am currently driving it to grad school and work, a nearly 80 mile round trip at age 22/23 in 2011 I will be 23 in June, and the funny thing is, that I have driven all the cars in my signature below as daily drivers at one point or another (sans the '21) and I have driven many makes and models, and my grandfather sold Chevy for 50 years and was the top salesman in the country for 10 years and I still come back to Buick! People say that I should buy a newer Buick and I tell them that it would not be as comfortable or stylish!

Edited by 1948Lincoln (see edit history)

Guest Double M

Daily Driver: 1990 Buick Reatta

130,000 miles 25+MPG. Sunroof/Black/Tan

Bought over Ebay in Sept 2010 for $1200

Scooter: 2003 Genuine Stella

14,000+ Miles. Tangerine/Custom Graphics

Bought new in 2003, 2 Stroke 150cc 4 Speed. 60MPH 75 MPG

Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Hawk I

12,000 miles. Red. Unrestored.

Bought on Craigs List for $1200

Previous Buicks: 1964 Buick Skylark, 1969 Buick GS 400, 1970 Buick LeSabre

Guest reatta1991

My current Buicks should be listed in my signature - at least I hope they are! Dad bought the CGS new in '67, and I got it from him in '72, my first car. The Reatta joined the my Buick "fleet" in 2009.

My daily drivers are a 2000 Ford Explorer and 2004 Pontiac Bonneville (but the Reatta definitely does rack up some miles in summer - almost 15K miles since September of 2009.)

Dad was a Buick man for many years . He drove them until switching to Olds in '82 and then Caddy in '89. Mom drove DeSotos, Buicks, and then the Caddy. Just before Dad passed away, the Caddy quit so he bought a '97 Bonneville. Mom couldn't see out of it, so I ended up with it in '99.

That Bonneville's air bags protected the wife and I in a subsequent T-bone crash, we walked away with no injuries, though it totaled the car. The passengers in the Taurus that made an illegal turn and pulled in front of us weren't so lucky - they were hospitalized. So naturally, we bought another tank, the 2004 Bonneville. With its 3800 six cylinder, it's a nice touring car, and fairly economical, just like the Reatta.

I'm hoping to make it to the BCA Nationals in Danvers this year...stop by the California GS and say hi!

Courtney Shenkle

Baltimore, MD

Age 38, total Buick ownership consists of 1 1954 76R for almost 2 years...total mileage would be about 20.

No other old cars, that's it :eek:

I grew up with a picture on the wall of my Dad standing in front of some big old car grinning like he stole it. He always called it his Roadmaster.....the best car he ever owned, I never even really knew that it was a Buick. I had always wanted to get some neat old car so when it came time I talked to Dad about his Roadmaster....I looked it up and got hooked. Thanks to MrEarls involvement it didn't take long for one to find its way to my home.....

....now if I can only get it to find its way back on the road. :D

Classic story Bob. It brings a tear to my eye.

;)

Thanks Mike...when I think back it sorta does the same to me.

I left out some of the main factors that contributed to the entry of my Buick experience but I do have a good account here for anybody who's interested:

How it all started... - Blogs - 1954 Buick Highway...

Its a Blog that has 6 entries that I should get back to and update....It begins with one of my fist posts, all the way to when the engine ceased.

Edited by stealthbob (see edit history)

Guest Oldie & Goodie

And that's how we became Buick owners in a round about way. We, alright I, wanted my first "oldie" to be what my first car was in high school, that being a 67' Chevy Impala. We looked a lot, became frustrated, happened upon our 51' Roadmaster and the rest is history. Glad I made the choice I did. Oh and I'm 54.

My first Buick was a 1992 Buick Roadmaster I drove in High School, I loved that car. I have always wanted a 1955 Roadmaster and finally realized that dream a couple of years ago. Now I am on the search for a 1938 or 1940 Buick Limited so I can join the CCCA (with a Buick).

My daily driver is a 2011 Regal, which I also really like. Buick came to our home to film a couple of commercials a month or two ago, I will insert the hyperlinks so you can see the Roadmaster in action.

Bests in your future Buick love!

EB

My daily driver is a 2011 Regal, which I also really like. Buick came to our home to film a couple of commercials a month or two ago, I will insert the hyperlinks so you can see the Roadmaster in action.

EB

How cool is this? Beautiful 55. Sweet 11 too

My first Buick was a 1992 Buick Roadmaster I drove in High School, I loved that car. I have always wanted a 1955 Roadmaster and finally realized that dream a couple of years ago. Now I am on the search for a 1938 or 1940 Buick Limited so I can join the CCCA (with a Buick).

EB

Love the '55.. Very beautiful! :D

Guest 1badkitty82

Well I am 28, and I am a big GM freak. My daily driver is a 92 Buick Roadmaster estate wagon. I bought the car because I was bored, and it was a fixer upper. I have previously owned a 78 Buick Regal, and a 96 Buick century. I am currently in the market for an antique to restore, and have my eye on a 53 Roadmaster. I am also looking for a 91-96 Roadmaster sedan. It’s funny my dad asked me this morning “what has you so set on this car“, and the first thing I said was “it’s a Buick“. :D