What age, and what do you drive?

Guest 2fit661ca

Guest 2fit661ca

For starters, as I have posted in nearly every other thread, I am a younger Buickfreak. From what I have read; primarily based on the timelines of the stories being told, it seems as though most everyone on here is of the experienced variety. I am curious as to whether or not there are any other younger Buick memebers out there, so if you guys would be willing, I'd like to know some of your ages, and to make it more fun, I'd like to know what all Buicks you own, and have previously owned. I don't care what your age is, I would like for as many people as possible to post. No age discrimination here. :)

hi, i'm 55, i bought my first buick in 1977, i was 21, and bought a 1958 buick roadmaster four door hardtop, after the 58, it was a 1967 electra 225 convertible, a 1971 electra limited four door hardtop, a 1972 electra 225, a 1965 riviera, a 1963 skylark, the only buick i have now, is a 2000 park avenue ultra. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

Guest my3buicks

I'm 50, bought my first car and first Buick(1967) in 1979 from my Grandfather. I still have that car today.

Buick's owned:

1953 Super Riviera Hardtop

1955 Special Riviera Hardtop

1957 Special Hardtop Wagon

1957 4 Dr Hardtop Century (2 of them)

1961 Skylark

1966 Special 2 dr sdn

1967 Special Deluxe Hrdtp Sport Coupe (2 of them)(still have the blue one)

1969 Electra Convertible

1972 Centurion Convertible (2 of them)(still have the orange one)

1979 Le Sabre Palm beach

1986 Century Landau Coupe

2002 Buick Rendezvous

2004 Buick Rendezvous

Joined the BCA in 1979 when I got the blue Buick

post-30591-143138427865_thumb.jpg

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

Hi 2Fit. This may be an interesting thread. Currently 59, and my daily driver is a 78 Estate Wagon. Here's the rest of my story:

Started at Age 13, driving dad's 55 Special 3 speed 4 dr. around the neighborhood. But my actual first car was at 15 and was a 62 Electra convertible, although never registered. Got my licence at 16 yrs and 3 months, and drove Dad's 65 Electra. Then I had a 63 Ford Econoline van, a 60 MGA, and then a 57 Special convertible, all of which my father forced me to get rid of. BTW, all of them ran and were roadworthy. Dad just refused to let me have my own car at the time.

In consideration for getting rid of the 57 Dad bought a 69 Cutlass Convertible which I drove for three years till the neighbor gave me his 56 Roadmaster 4 dr Sedan. I drove that for 2 years and acquired a 64 Corvair convertible 4 speed at the same time. Then I got married and sold the Corvair to my younger brother but within a few months I broke the Roadmasters reverse gear. At that point we used my wifes 73 Maverick which was her first new car, and I got my current 56 Super. I then bought a 63 Corvair Turbocharged 4 speed coupe, but the motor was blown and I found an un turbocharged engine for it. The problem was I couldn't get a title, so my brother took what he wanted and I junked it.

Bought my first house at 26 yrs old and then things got crazy. In no particular order, over the next 5 years I owned and drove a 77 Dodge Colt, 69 Olds 98, 67 Impala wagon w/ factory guage package, 70 Impala wagon, 66 Dodge Coronet convertible w/ 3 speed stick, 67 Sportwagon, and in there somewhere my wifes cousin gave us her 66 Gran sport 4 speed coupe w/ factory air. Loved that car to death. What a blast that thing was. We also had ownership of a 64 Lesabre Convertible but never actually took posession of it. Another title problem. But when we sold the house we only had the Colt, the Gran Sport, and the 56 Super.

With our second house we acquired my Father in Laws 77 Ford Granada 4 speed, but moved soon to our third house where thengs got crazy again. A 72 Lesabre, 78 Electra 4 dr, a 79 Estate Wagon, my sisters 69 Electra, an 84 and 85 Estate wagon, a 77 Somerset t type w/ 5 speed, and my favorite 69 Electra 2 dr limited. Those plus a few 69 Electras which we parted out. Oh yeah, we also bought a new 93 Regal Custom, and had a 77 and 80 Caddy coupe devilles.

But when we moved to our current home we only had the 84 Wagon, the 93 Regal and the 56 Super. Here we added a 95 Riviera, and the 69 GS Convertible and then the 06 LaCrosse, and finally the 78 Estate wagon.

There were also a few other cars I didn't mention because either they were parts cars and never intended for the road, or I simply acquired them and sold them.

Gosh, I sure wish I had kept a few more of them.

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)

Older than Brian, younger than John :D:rolleyes: You're only as old as you feel, so I ought to be retired.

My list is effectively in my signature...I think I've got that up to date, aside from parts cars. I have only sold one car...1974 Javelin AMX with 401 4-spd...I sold it to have the funds to buy the Wildcat...SheWhoMustBeObeyed then came along and said old cars are OK so long as the next one is a convertible, so when the Invicta was for sale locally, it got added to the stable...since then my disease has gotten progressively worse. When one spends considerably more than one's annual salary on a new toy box for the toys, one has to wonder.

Welcome to the form. I sometimes think I'm the oldest teenager in the world when I get in my Buicks. I guess I'm pushing 70 on age and the speedometer. My first Buick I road in that I remember was my dad's old junker 1938 or 37 with the floor shift. As years went by he brought different ones but the one always remember was his last a 1953 roadmaster fully loaded he bought from our doctor he's sure love that car. Brother Tom always loved his Buicks two there is always at least two Buicks in the driveway and brother Mike was first up so he was the best dressed and took the best Buick. Brother Jack well he just like hot looking cars and watching over his sisters. Now it's only me and him and he still watching over the baby sister. Me the kids are gone and I get to fill up the garage with Buicks. Welcome aboard you picked a great place with a bunch of nice people to talk , laugh, give advice, get advice, and brag a little it's all in fun. Frank. Have a great BUICK day

I am 77 and I bought my first Buick ,a 1931 4 door , in 1948. I drove it for a year and bought a 37 Century . I drove that until i passed mty Dad at 100MPH ,and he chose my next car. I drove a 39 Pontiac 6 until I graduated. I had mostly Fords until I went in tne service.

I have had too many Buicks to count since then, but loved them all. I drive a 92 Roadmaster wagon for every day, and my wife has a Rendezvous.

I still have all my bases covered for older buicks as I have :

69 Sport wagon with a 200-4R trans and factory AC for trips

72 GS 455 convertible for drag racing

37 special coupe for my "street rod" (455 Buicke powered with all the toys)

40 Super convertible for my antique (driven over 100k by me )

I have lived in the Flint MI area (hometown of Buick ) all my life, but worked for Chevrolet

Edited by The Old Guy (see edit history)

I am 45. I grew up with Buicks because my dad was a Buick man. I remember many trips in my dads 1964 Buick Electra convertible. My first Buick was a 1968 Buick Skylark GS 350. I was 14 when my dad gave it to me. It was a "some assembly required" type of car. My dad had a wrecking yard and bought wrecks to resell parts from. This one had some front end damage that had to be repaired before it could be driven but I was 14 and had a couple of years to do it before I had my license.

I've had a few Buicks and Oldsmobiles in my life since then and currently have my dads 1964 Buick Electra convertible.

Welcome Aboard Matey. I'm 49 and have a 1915 C-36 Roadster, a 1982 Riviera Convertible, a 1996 Century Classic, and more snow than I know what to do with. ;)

Oh yeah, and the one and only Buick Snowmaster Super Shovel :D Dandy Dave!

:D:DGood thread!!!

Just reached 74.

My first Buick was the 1940 shown in my signature.

Then a 1950 Super convertable

1948 Super four door

1953 Special two door hardtop

1950 Special two door sedanette

1954 Special two door hartdtop

1955 Special convertable

1959 Invicta four door hardtop

1962 Special four door

1966 Electra four door hard top

1971 Station wagon

Presently have

1995 Park Avenue

1950 Super mod 52

1950 Special mod 41D

Several other cars, sorry to say not BUICKS.:D

Ben

I'm 66. My first Buick was a 1922 Model 46 coupe, purchased in 1963, sold in 1971 and re-purchased in 2008. I currently own a 1965 and a 1993 Riviera, and a 1996 and a 2001 LeSabre. I have also owned a 1948 Super 56-S, a 1984 Riviera, a 1985 Riviera, a 1993 and a 1996 Century and a 1997 LeSabre. My Dad owned a 1954 Super 4-door and a 1961 Electra 225 6-window 4-door hardtop.

I've also owned a 1938 LaSalle sedan, a 1950 Chevrolet 3100 pickup, a 1953 Ford sedan, a 1953 Mercury sedan, a 1955 Ford two-door hardtop, a 1955 Packard two-door hardtop, a 1956 Mercury two-door hardtop, a 1960 Corvair sedan, a 1965 Mustang notchback, a 1966 Galaxie 500 two-door hardtop, a 1970 Torino sports-roof, a 1973 Thunderbird, plus the usual assortment of boring, more modern vehicles.

p.s. - Snowmen for sale - some assembly required.

Welcome aboard 2fit.

I'm 42 but have been a member of the BCA since around 1989 when an old girlfriend got me the membership for my birthday. I had a 55 Special then that I bought upon graduating high school and I still have it today. I had a 63 Wildcat convertible, thus my 5563 handle... Sold it to my plumber so I could have money to spend restoring my 55 Century convertible.

Edited by buick5563
Unnecessary double welcome... (see edit history)

Well I am 63 and my first Buick was a 1950 with 219000 miles. Always ran great. Have had several others including a black on black 69 Wildcat rag top and I should have kept it. Oh well that's life

Still have

84 Riv convertible

90 Reatta convertible

86 Pontiac Fiero GT

66 Mustang Convertible

Wife says I have to stop. Don't know what my next car will be wink wink

Chuck Kerls

OK Buick People: My first Buick was a white 66 Lesabre coupe that I shared with my parents while in High School. Next, a gray 54 Roadmaster sedan at 16 that was never on the road. Next, a fully fully fully loaded dark blue 60 Electra 6 window (18), then it gets blurry after that.

Currently I'm at 88, all Buicks of course. My age is 59. Mitch

Guest Redwind89

soon to be 32, Son of JohnD1956. So I have been a Buick guy my whole life. Didn't start out owning a Buick, per say. 1st car I bought and returned the same day was an 87 2 dr Century w/ the 3.8l. Then I got an 84 Chevy Celebrity, then an 88 Chevy Celebrity, then an 89 Chevy Beretta GT 5spd. Fun car, but too many problem. In fact cause of the problems, my Dad called me one day and said " there's a car up here by the house I want to you go and test drive." me " what is it?" "It a Buick and I think you'll like it" " but its a Buick, is a 5spd? " "no." " then why would i want it" " cause it has a far better engine than your Chevy." "Fine I'll be up soon." It turned out to be a 1987 Lesabre T-type that had the rear spoiler with the leather interior and only 77k on it. Drove the car off the lot and stepped on the gas and fell in love. It needed some work so we tried to haggle on the price, but the guy walked away from us. Come to fine out we were better off not getting that one too, car was a flood car. But the fire was lit and the search was on. I looked around for a few months and couldn't find another one, but I did come across a 1989 Lesabre limited 2dr Red with red interior. Not the same but it worked. then one day Dad and I out for a drive, went down a road they we have never been down before and low and behold parked next to a barn a 1989 black Lesabre t-type. $700 later the car was in the driveway, $2800 later and the car was on the road with a new transmission from Buick. 6 months later the car was wreaked on me driving home one night. Someone pushed me into a jersey wall at 70mph. So the search was on again, but with a bigger area(the whole east coast) but I almost bought a 95 Regal GS 2dr, but settled on a 1989 black Lesabre T-type from MD instead. (there's a theme going here) I owned that one for 8 plus years, sold it with 207k to a BCA member in Long Island. While I still had that T-type I also got a 1994 Regal GS 2dr, fully loaded, white with red leather interior. I sold that for a 2003 Regal LS with 26k till that got taken from me too, by the paper guy one morning. Parked car, hit by his truck with him going (cops and ins guy figure over 50 mph) the Regal lost, but took the truck with it. But in the mean time I was able to get a 1 owner 1989 red Lesabre T-type with 96k. After the 03 got totaled I got my 1989 Electra park Ave. I know I skipped parts but damn that's a long post.

Edited by Redwind89 (see edit history)

I will be 61 in March. I never bought a Buick until 1999 when I bought my 1966 LeSabre Custom sedan and that's when I joined the BCA. In 2000, my uncle gave me his 1971 LeSabre Custom sedan which I still have, and while presentable, I would love to have it restored some day. I sold the 1966 in 2005 and later bought a 1972 Ford LTD which I also still have. I miss the 1966 and am sorry I sold it. If another Buick caught my eye, I'd definitely consider buying it.

Guest Redwind89

its not the 3800 engine built after 1988, for some reason a lot of the 3.8 fwd engines had problems, or they had none. But in my dad's exp they've been bombs just waiting to go. Also something about the car just didn't seem right. Some years later my brother got his hands on a 1987 Electra T-type with the 3.8, that got a bad lifter, so it had a knock, that turned into a bigger problem, so he and my dad pulled the engine and dropped another one in with "only" 75k on it and that one lasted about three months before it lost all oil pressure and spun all the bearings. So engine 3 was dropped into the car.

Dougs almost right on the 87 Electra T. That car was knocking hard and the owner told us he had drivin it for a few months with the knock. It wasn't a lifter. It was deeper than that.

When we bought it we went to the local junkyard and found the clean 100K Lesabre that engine two came from. It was hit hard in the front but the radiator was still holding fluid. No water in the oil pan, but they couldn't start it for us due to the damage. They guaranteed the engine so we bought it. Later when they delivered it there was gravel and mud on the intake. We cleaned the engine and I convinced JR we should put in new bearings while the engine was already out. The crank looked good to me, but apparently I was wrong. 30 days later engine 2 started knocking, and this IMHO is what seems to be the problem in general with the 3.8 vs the 3800.

Anyway JR went back to the yard and found another car with 175K. They started this one for him and he said it really sounded good. They gave him that engine under warranty and this time I said with that milage, lets just drop it in and see what happens. I didn't want to open it up. Well, that engine lasted over a year I believe and was still going when JR got his 93 Regal GS. Then it sat for a winter and would not start. So considering the overall poor condition he junked the car.

Hey 2fit! Great Thread! I'm 51 going on 21. I've mostly been an eclectic car guy. Mostly Mopars in an earlier day (Dad worked for Chrylser, so guess what!) However, I was a rebel. My first car was a 1957 Chevy Bel Air 2dr Htp, when I was in high school. Great car and fast as a bullet. 327 HiPo from 68 Camaro with a 4 speed. Wee Ha!. Owned or family had a 1946 Willys CJ2A military jeep, 1967 Cadillac Convertible, 1969 Plymouth GTX, 1931 Pontiac, 1970 Challenger 340 6 pack. I got the Buick bug when I still had the Chevy. I was going to try to get a car from every GM make for 1957, so I had the Chevy and the Buick came up for sale. $400..with only 18K miles. I have had the Special for 26 yrs. My kids fondly call the car "Old Bessie". Sold the Chevy to buy a house (Should have kept that, but was young, just married and kinda crazy). Since then, I have been working off and on on Bessie, but as of two years ago, decided to go at a head on restoration of the car.

Then I joined the BCA, and then this Forum..What a great bunch of people to find out every thing and then some on Buicks. Great to have you on board and keep up with the info.

I'll be 62 in May (can't wait for that early Social Security check to start up!). I was luckly enough to be able to retire at 54. I've been a GM guy pretty much but not a Buick guy until I bought my first Riviera new in 1996. Liked it so much that I bought a second one in 1997..gave the 96 to my wife. I sold the Riv's later and bought the two Eldorado's listed below. I've bought and sold an 85 and 92 Riv and currently have the one remaining 92 Riv.

I'm 53 for 28 more days. I bought my 1st Buick 3 years ago which was a 1 owner '50 Buick Super 2dr and sold it to buy my current '50 Spcial Sedanette 2dr. I have also owned 2 more '50 Buick 4dr's that I bought ,fixed and sold. I own 5 others that are not Buicks.

Guest BigDogDaddy

I'm 46, and I still have my first Buick. It is a 1953 Roadmaster 76R. It runs, but is not road worthy. I got the car around 1984 or 85. It was abandoned by the owner at a shop that repaired old cars. I'll get it on the road eventually.

I also have a 1940 Limited model 81. This car is a driver. It is mostly original except for a repaint in the early 70's. But it looks awesome in pictures and so far has been in 4 weddings, with number 5 coming this spring. It is a fun car to drive.

Phil

I am 44, and here is my current list of Buicks, in order that I acquired them:

1969 GS400 Convertible

1970 GS455 Convertible

1955 Century Riviera Coupe

1969 GS350

1961 (Carmen) Electra

1961 LeSabre (LoSabre)

1965 Riviera Gran Sport

1971 LeSabre Coupe

1961 Invicta 4 door

I am an "investor" in a 70 GS stage 1, 70 GS455 and 70 Skylark.

I have owned quite a few through the years, bought my first one a year out of high school, a 1970 GS350 with a 455 (I thought it was a GS455, and didn't realize it wasn't until many years later. I have owned more than I car to count, most all of them 64-72 A-bodies, many of them GS's and several of them Stage 1 cars. Had one Grand National, and swore I would never go down that dark road again!

Guest impalabern

I'm 31, bought my first Buick @ 18 it was a 1960 Electra 225 convertible, currently I own a 1959 Buick Electra 4door sedan. Been a Chevy guy (currently own '59 Impala hardtop, '62 impala hardtop, '63 Impala convertible) my whole life but love the Buicks.

Guest Rob McDonald

56 - how can that be?! Still have car #! - see below. Car #2: new MGB and still have that too. Car #3, bought another banged-up '57 Roadmaster for parts but I did drive it for a while. A gazillion cars later, wifey and I now share a '95 BMW 525i station wagon. It's a fabulous car but, parked next to the Buick, it looks like a household appliance.

I'm 60 and my first buick was given to me by my brother when he joined the air force in 1973... it was a 1968 gs 400 conv 4sp with a/c. I sold it cheap during the first opec gas scare. 2nd buick was in 1975 with the purchase of a '52 super rivera with no drivetrain for $50. I put a chev v8 in it shortly after and still have it. (but it needs to be redone...) my 3rd buick I got at a kruse scottsdale auction ten years ago and enjoy it's stock features... a '23 4 cyl touring car.

What's wrong with a Grand National?

Super fast car, killer looks, but it seems they (at least the one I had and others I knew) were always out of tune or needed something replaced. Plus, if you aren't a capable mechanic ( I am not) it can be hard to find someone to work on it. I had to drive 60 miles to get someone to work on it who knew what they were doing. For me, it was a bad experience and the car was broken more than it was running right.

I'm 60 and the cars I still own and drive appear in my signature.

My first was a 1928 Sport Roadster which I purchased in 1968 when I was 18. I sold it around 5 years ago to fund another project ( 34 Buick ).

Also owned but sold many years ago a 1939 Special sedan and a 1936 Century Sloper ( Australian bodied 2 door coupe ).

Guest 2fit661ca
Super fast car, killer looks, but it seems they (at least the one I had and others I knew) were always out of tune or needed something replaced. Plus, if you aren't a capable mechanic ( I am not) it can be hard to find someone to work on it. I had to drive 60 miles to get someone to work on it who knew what they were doing. For me, it was a bad experience and the car was broken more than it was running right.

(Kind of off subject and I apologize fr that) But I really appriciate how you responded to the quesion; simply sharing facts and your own personal experience, and not attacking the car or the person. Where I'm from, this is abnormal behavior. Just thought I'd throw that out there...