Welcome Yugo and Hyundai!

Dave@Moon

Yes, it's that magic year (2011) when the first model year Hyundai and Yugo models officially imported to the U.S. reach that 25 year-old milestone and become bona fide members of the antique car community. It's also the last to last year that any new products from an American independent manufacturer will reach that milestone (1987 AMCs).

The recent changes in the automotive industry are starting to rain down on us in an even more rapid fashion than before. It's something to think about.

I hope the aficionados of these marques are at least as welcome as past new inductees have been. :)

Guest Dave Boyer

Try and find a Hyundai Pony....I don't think you guys got them in the US. (@1984)

Every time it rained, the intersections were clogged with them, stalled out.

Guest my3buicks

You guys are sure going to make the new AACA members that just joined that are proud of the Yugo's feel really great. NICE!!

Guest my3buicks

I see a Hugo convertible sitting along side of a house when I go to my camp in Ohio - Now if you wanted to collect a Yugo, that would probably be a good one.

Keith;

I don't think you have to worry too much about us small car people, we usually have a pretty good sense of humor and have heard most of it before. Besides with our small underpowered cars you know we aren't compensating for inadequacies in other areas!!! Many of the jokes going around have been recycled a number of times. In their day 60-70 years ago, Crosleys were the butt of numerous jokes. "You don't have to park a Crosley, you just keep in on your watch chain." " You don't buy a Crosley under the table, but you could park it there." and finally "If you have a Crosley and a chauffeur, where does the chauffeur sit?...at home probably" and lots of others. At a show when someone takes mocking my car a little beyond good humor, I usually challenge him to a race...but at my rules. The race is 45 miles long and we get one gallon of gas...and I'll offer to give him a head start. By the time the surrounding laughter stops he has usually gotten the point and we get back to good humor.

My only question is will I have to compete with them in the new small car class 04-B??

Remember when they came out.... Buy a Chevrolet and get a Yugo for free.

I think when they came out they were sold by Oldsmobile dealers. I worked on a new building being built for Crisconi Olds in 1985 on Passyunk Avenue in Philadelphia In front of the main building they were putting up a building for the soon to be introduced Yugo. Crisconi moved from South Broad street which was Auto Dealer Row for many years in Philly to the "New Auto Dealer Row" which was built at the end of junkyard row. They brought some parts over and I saw some NOS Bricklin fenders but they wouldn't sell them to me. Remember the Yugo was the latest effort to sell a foreign made car through Olds Dealers by Malcolm Bricklin, the first,of course was the 74-75 Bricklin.

Is it true that Yugos came standard with a rear defroster to keep your hands warm while pushing it?

Oh my.... that's the best laugh I'd had all month. It's been a long haul month. Below one of my favorite quotes of all time:

"Laughter is to life.... What Shock Absorbers are to Cars"

As a Geo Metro owner ( I think I have half a dozen of them ) I'm looking forward to the day that my 1991 Geo XFi enters the show field. It will sport the factory window sticker showing the 58mpg epa rating. When the gas prices hit $4 a gallon the value of Geo Metros double as well.

Remember the Yugo was the latest effort to sell a foreign made car through Olds Dealers by Malcolm Bricklin, the first,of course was the 74-75 Bricklin.

Actually the Yugo was Malcolm Bricklin's last successful attempt to introduce an imported marque to the American market. Prior to the Yugo he made his bones by forming Subaru of America in the 1960s. Also the Bricklin was a Canadian-built vehicle using largely U.S. manufacturer components, so it was "foreign" only to an extent.

His latest attempt in 2002 was to try and form a company to import Chery automobiles from China. That deal fell apart in 2006.

...As a Geo Metro owner ( I think I have half a dozen of them ) I'm looking forward to the day that my 1991 Geo XFi enters the show field. It will sport the factory window sticker showing the 58mpg epa rating. When the gas prices hit $4 a gallon the value of Geo Metros double as well.

We met a fellow Pinto owner (yet another small car with Rodney Dangerfield syndrome!) at Hershey this past fall, when we were showing ours in HPOF, who, in addition to his Pinto and two VW Things, also owns a superb original Geo Metro Convertible!

Guest Jim_Edwards

You guys better hang on to those "real" Cub Cadets. IH doesn't make them anymore. All the new ones are made by MTD and/or Yanmar. Not that the latter necessarily makes them bad, they're just not the same.

Jim

Mine is manual lift also. My wife jokes that most winters that I put the snow blower on we get less than average snow and so far this year is keeping up with her predictions..... but as for the cold that is another story. It was about 5deg F here in Detroit metro area today and 3 deg yesterday AM.

Guest Jim_Edwards
We met a fellow Pinto owner (yet another small car with Rodney Dangerfield syndrome!) at Hershey this past fall, when we were showing ours in HPOF, who, in addition to his Pinto and two VW Things, also owns a superb original Geo Metro Convertible!

Aren't Geo's nothing other than a re-branded Suzuki?

Jim

Aren't Geo's nothing other than a re-branded Suzuki?

Jim

The Geo Metro was brand engineered Suzuki Swift/Cultus, albeit one that was unavilable in the same mechanical configuration at U.S. Suzuki dealers. The Geo Tracker was also a Suzuki product based on their Sidekick model. The Geo Prizm was a rebodied version of the Toyota Corolla. The Geo Spectrum and Storm were cloned Isuzu models (I-Mark and Impulse respectively).

Guest billybird

I thought all the Yugo's rusted out in the showroom. Seriously; there is a guy that lives in my neighborhood who drives one everyday. I've been thinking about stopping and asking him how that one survived.

I gotta be nuts. Pickers and Pawn Stars are on and I just got home from a very long day at work and I am posting here!

I was a Yugo dealer. I bought the franchise hoping that a low cost car with a warranty would help people buy something that was cheaper and better than a used car. Some of the first cars in this country were not up to snuff that is for sure. They had the wrong spark plugs and some minor but aggravating quality problems for a car that was ancient technology and had been produced for years. After awhile the car seemed to hold up well.

Leno and Letterman skewered the car and it became the butt of jokes. I personally believed it went a long way towards killing the company. This was a huge gamble to begin with and the negative publicty was the final blow.

The new models we were supposed to get never arrived and despite selling a whole bunch of these cars it was not one of my happier times in the business.

Interestingly, I took some flack from some of the locals about selling a "Communist" car. Northwest Indiana contained a rather large but diverse Slavic community and I got praised in one corner and burned in another.

Hey, I was a DeLorean dealer too so I had no shortage of failed ventures...yes, I had the Zimmer mortorhome deal for awhile as well! Life was sure colorful back then but I had a lot of families that relied on our store to provide them a living so I took some chances. OK, now have at me...I think I have just opened myself up for a few barbs!:D:o:rolleyes::cool::eek::(:)

Hello all. As for the Yugo jokes, there's a ton of them around. Even some sites on the 'net with pages of them. I've probably owned upward of 40 Yugos over the years. Had 23 of them at one time. I only have 3 now, a 1986 with 60K , a 1987 GVX with over 300K, and a 1991 GV+ with only 44K. All run and drive well, and as the price of gas rises, I'm sure I'll drive them more often. As with any vehicle, the life expectancy is only as good as the maintenance and care you give to that vehicle. I not only own Yugos, but a couple of Reattas, a 1976 Nova 4 dr., a 1959 Edsel, a 1987 Fiero GT, a 1964 Galaxie 500XL 4 dr. hardtop, and a couple of other insignificant vehicles. Got to love the old car hobby!!

I gotta be nuts. Pickers and Pawn Stars are on and I just got home from a very long day at work and I am posting here!

I was a Yugo dealer. I bought the franchise hoping that a low cost car with a warranty would help people buy something that was cheaper and better than a used car. Some of the first cars in this country were not up to snuff that is for sure. They had the wrong spark plugs and some minor but aggravating quality problems for a car that was ancient technology and had been produced for years. After awhile the car seemed to hold up well.

Leno and Letterman skewered the car and it became the butt of jokes. I personally believed it went a long way towards killing the company. This was a huge gamble to begin with and the negative publicty was the final blow.

The new models we were supposed to get never arrived and despite selling a whole bunch of these cars it was not one of my happier times in the business.

Interestingly, I took some flack from some of the locals about selling a "Communist" car. Northwest Indiana contained a rather large but diverse Slavic community and I got praised in one corner and burned in another.

Hey, I was a DeLorean dealer too so I had no shortage of failed ventures...yes, I had the Zimmer mortorhome deal for awhile as well! Life was sure colorful back then but I had a lot of families that relied on our store to provide them a living so I took some chances. OK, now have at me...I think I have just opened myself up for a few barbs!:D:o:rolleyes::cool::eek::(:)

Your losses were our gain. Thanks for all you do Steve. :)