Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow....

Dandy Dave

I measured about 14-1/2 Inches here. Worst thing that happened is that dang plastic chair got buried. :mad: Could not sit in it no way and no how. To cold to goof off out side anyway. The Buick SnowMaster Super Shovel roared through without a cough or sputter.. :cool: Dandy Dave!

post-44142-143142390164_thumb.jpg

post-44142-143142390169_thumb.jpg

post-44142-143142390173_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

Guest Nancy DeWitt

Our problem in Alaska hasn't been too much snow (there is no such thing, imo) but record-breaking warm temperatures. The warmth and rain caused some huge avalanches near Valdez, which dammed a river and blocked the only road to the city for almost two weeks. There are some great photos of the slides and the road clearing effort here. Back in the 1920s and 30s they didn't have heavy equipment to clear snow. Instead, they removed avalanche debris by hand, as was done prior to this photo being taken. I can't imagine the effort it took.

post-58418-143142394356_thumb.jpg

Guest Italian Job 3
I hear there's a lot of flooding going on in England

Yes worst weather for many years, several homes in inches of water, and the ground very very wet, fortunately not near us but bad for those in the south. We have 100phm winds here last week with roof tiles off around us and fences down.... fortunately expected to be finished now, its warm outdoors..... Looking forward to the lighter longer days.

What's it like near you?

More snow here today. Was calling for another 3 to 5 inches. I think it may be down graded to 1 to 3 now. Will have to wait and see. Yesterday was 0-F (-18-C) This morning it is 21-F (-6-C) Dandy Dave!

Yes worst weather for many years, several homes in inches of water, and the ground very very wet, fortunately not near us but bad for those in the south. We have 100phm winds here last week with roof tiles off around us and fences down.... fortunately expected to be finished now, its warm outdoors..... Looking forward to the lighter longer days.

What's it like near you?

Finally getting a break. Supposed to be 60 on Friday. There's still about 12 inches on the ground. Philadelphia has had 59 inches so far, the third most ever.

The sooner the better Wayne. Could use some 55 Gallon drums full. Calling for temps in the upper 30's and lower 40's here this week. Time for this white stuff to melt. Even the poor deer and other animals are scratching the snow to find a morsel to eat. Cabin Fever setting in here. Ready to start bouncing off of the walls. Maybe I should have them padded. I must say, I would much rather be mowing the lawn. Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

We are in South Central Kansas. It started snowing again late yesterday afternoon and now at 10:00 PM Sunday evening we have between 5 - 7 inches on the level. The overnight low is forecast to be 8 below zero and by Thursday it is supposed to be 59 degrees. We are totally sick of this crap already. Who are these bozos who keep yapping about global warming? I told Larry DiBarry that my wife has threatened to come out there and do some murderous things to their Punxsutawney Phil. My poor old Buicks are out there in the shop just a shivverin' right down to their hubcaps in this blasted cold. We could have used Dandy Dave's Super Dooper Whiz Bang Snow Master Snow Remover on a lot of occasions this winter.

Terry Wiegand

A COLDDoo Dah America!

Guest Nancy DeWitt

Meanwhile in Alaska...the Iditarod sled dog racers are running over dirt. From the Anchorage Daily News:

post-58418-143142418835_thumb.jpg

Rather than lament the lack of snow in our fine state, I've pulled together some information on Alaska's first snow vehicles here. There were some doozies!

post-58418-143142418838_thumb.jpeg

Last weekend a sunny 75 degree Saturday and Sunday convinced us to take a ride up river to Destrehan Plantation, but by this time we had put the top up prior to parking:

post-54863-143142418855_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142418868_thumb.jpg

Mardi Gras was cold (44 DEGREES) and rainy yesterday,

but Friday through Sunday should be sunny and back in the mid- to upper 70s.

We had enough winter when we attended the AACA Annual Meeting last month in Philadelphia, PA (but next August we'll be wishing for a cool breeze).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]237745[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]237744[/ATTACH] I sure wish I had had time to get my snowmobile ready for this winter. Just watch, by the time I have it done, we won't have any snow that winter!!

I could almost get into winter and snowmobiles if I had one of those.

A Tucker snowcat would have worked as well if they had used Surplus Tucker Bodies. :)

We finally made it to Florida - plan to stay through the end of April. Absolutely beautiful today, temp around 70 and bright blue sky. I love it here, just wish I could convince my wife to stay longer than 2 months. That's her limit. Only problem is my old cars are back home in the garage in Maine and I'm not here long enough to warrant buying another to have here. I still don't understand why anyone wants to stay up north in the cold. We may get to the point that I will come down here in the fall, go home for Christmas and then come back with the wife after New Year. If I had my way, I'd sell the house in Maine, make Florida my residence and rent something for he summer in Maine.

Guest Skyking
We finally made it to Florida - plan to stay through the end of April. Absolutely beautiful today, temp around 70 and bright blue sky. I love it here, just wish I could convince my wife to stay longer than 2 months. That's her limit. Only problem is my old cars are back home in the garage in Maine and I'm not here long enough to warrant buying another to have here. I still don't understand why anyone wants to stay up north in the cold. We may get to the point that I will come down here in the fall, go home for Christmas and then come back with the wife after New Year. If I had my way, I'd sell the house in Maine, make Florida my residence and rent something for he summer in Maine.

John, I agree. We came after Christmas and stayed until the 2nd week in March and now we are staying with my daughter in Tennessee until April. Hopefully Rhode island will be out of the deep freeze by then. Next year will be a longer stay.

Maybe drive down in October, fly home for Christmas and stay until May. I've lived here, the summer is hot. I do miss having an old car here.

• 10 months later...

This is the First Snow Storm worthy of Report this 2014-2015 Season. We have only about 8 or so inches here, but farther east it is a lot more. Hope all of you are safe out there and the seat on your snow shovel is toasty and warm. Dandy Dave!