Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow....

Dandy Dave

Dave- I have gotten faith! Hallelujah! I drained the tank and put the snowblower in the back of the garage yesterday. Also took the shovel from its repose by the front door. Today I will replace the crocks in their summer spots for my wife to plant her flowers.

I believe that spring has sprung (finally) in upstate! We are supposed to hit an April-showers-bring-May-flowers rainy mid-70's on Monday.

Guest Skyking

Just got back from visiting my daughter in the Nashville area. They moved there in January. I think Franklin is the best kept secret. What a beautiful place. While in downtown Franklin, I seen many Model A's traveling about. The weather was blue skies and in the 80's the whole time we were there. Of course, here in RI it still looks and feels like winter. Maybe it's time for a move..........................:)

Well, it got into the 60's today so the last of the snow disappeared from the front yard - where it gets the sun. Backyard, still enough snow to be up to the seats on our picnic table. A few days of 50-60 degree temps though, and it will go quickly. I hope the snow we had a week ago Friday is the last of it. However, we had a 17" snowfall on April 17, 1984 that I remember very well, so we're not totally out of the woods yet. I'll keep the snowblower handy until the end of the month.

Don't lose heart - spring is coming! Last Thursday I trailered a car from NJ to the Charlotte meet. In southern Virginia I was puzzled by some greenish fuzz on the trees. As I went further south, the fuzz became visible leaves, and many trees were in bloom. Going over the mountains into NC, the green disappeared at the higher elevations, only to reappear at the car show. Coming home Sunday, the process was reversed - but I swear the fuzz lasted 50 more miles coming back Sunday than it had going down Thursday. It'll be here in about a week and a half, and then work its way into New York and New England. Hang in there, guys!

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

OK, it is April 18th just before noon here in Detroit. The first picture is Detroit at just at before noon Monday. Look at the great outdoors. When will it STOP SNOWING??????

The second pictures are a couple of pictures of Saturday morning in the western Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

post-44099-143138514287_thumb.jpg

post-44099-14313851432_thumb.jpg

post-44099-143138514351_thumb.jpg

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

Well, nothing personal Detroiters but- you can keep it until next winter! There is measurable snow south of us near the PA border and west near Buffalo as I understand it but here in the Finger Lakes we have only had wet flakes in the air Monday. We are still cold though, only in the thirties yesterday and a high in the mid forties today. But a high of 68 on Wed and 42 on Thursday.The thermometer is getting a lot of exercise going up and down so much day to day! It is MUCH slimmer than me!!

Here is what we drove through on April 5th on our way to the Charlotte Auto Fair and Spring Meet.

We encountered this snow near Beckley, W. Va. about an hour from where we live. It is a much higher elevation than where we live and there are ski areas/resorts in the area. But we didn't expect this according to the weather reports. :o The temperature was 35 in this area. :eek:

post-36313-143138515392_thumb.jpg

post-36313-1431385154_thumb.jpg

8 days ago no snow on the ground but high winds and tornados in the Fox Valley, Wi. area. Hundreds of thousands of dollars in damages.

Today we are getting 8 plus inches of snow. This is the third year in a row that snow totals have hit top five all time in record snow fall for our area.

This winter/ugly spring can end any time...

We are driving the AACA Founders Tour here in Lake Mary, outside of Orlando, Florida this week. The skies have been clear with temps in the high 80s daytime and high 60s overnight. Around 60 cars and great driving conditions - and of course GREAT AACA families who came from as far as New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, the Carolinas, Georgia, Louisiana, Texas, as well as Florida.

Many thanks to the Holt, Roy, and Allen families, and all the others who worked to put on this excellent tour.

Yesterday the weatherman said it was going to be 68F today here in the Not so Great Northeast. Now it looks like he changed his mind again as we are only going to be in the mid fiftys. Better than ice and snow, but not quite Speedo weather yet. :P Dandy Dave!

Waaaa hoooooo... Over 8,000 hits.... It must be Spring for most of us. Here we are just about past mud season, Summer, and driving our cars is just around the corner. :D Dandy Dave!

For me its open garage door with no bugs season....this one lasts about 2-4 weeks. Soon comes the mosquitoes the size of birds....

I have a "Man Cave" thing going on with TV/PC and Buick....nice to have the door open after a winter of being closed in.

Great day today....15C and Sunny yess.gif

It was in the mid-50's Friday, nice but a cool breeze made it feel colder. Saturday, it snowed enough to stay on the grass. Today some clouds, but in the low 60's and not bad. Rain again tomorrow. Quite the see saw this spring.

I had the '71 Lesabre out for a brief run a couple of weeks ago, but I have yet to get the '72 LTD out. I'm waiting to put my winter beater Cutlass up for the summer. I haven't wanted to get my '09 Mustang convertible out because of the weather. Once I make that switch, I'll move stuff around in the garage so I can use the Buick and Ford more easily - although with gas at $4.00 a gallon, I won't be using them much. I've found since I bought the Mustang, I haven't used my old cars as much anyway.

• 8 months later...

Just sitting here thinking, compared to the last few years this has been a snowless winter here this year. The first measurable snow for 2012 was about 3 inches a few days ago. The Buick Snowmaster is getting restless, and it's operator, a bad case of cabin fever. :P The last snow we got was an unseasonable Holloween storm. Also, it has been warmer than normal. Dandy Dave!

42 degrees so far today on the Shoreline in Branford, CT, and supposed to go a little higher at least--maybe 50 if we're lucky.

Solid 8" of snow this past Saturday, though. Not psyched about that. I'm feeling it in my snowshoveling muscles today.

Supposed to be rainy and in the 40s for the next several days--maybe the rain'll wash the salt away so that I can drive my old VW a bit more...

• 1 month later...

Here it is March first, and it is the first time this year I had to shovel out the Mail Box with the Buick Snowmaster.... Snow is a wet and heavy 4 inches. No one around here has ever seen a relativly warm and snowless winter as this. Dandy Dave!

post-44142-143138864626_thumb.jpg

post-44142-14313886463_thumb.jpg

...No one around here has ever seen a relativly warm and snowless winter as this. Dandy Dave!

I don't know about you, Dandy Dave, but I am definitely "digging" this winter (and I mean that in the purely figurative sense).

I am presently on a trip to a warmer climate, but coming back to the Northeast again tomorrow. Hoping we can all glide right on into Spring...

This is the first year I have grown lettuce through the whole of November-March ( in cold frames ) and all my potatoes are over a foot high. We still haven't reached the over 62 degrees to shoot paint on a car for the last two months, but Nov-Dec I was able to paint. Gonna be a hot summer I fear.

D.

In the mid 50's last Wednesday, high 60's on Thursday, back to the 40's Friday and low 30's today. Those prior three days, though, did a number on the snow. Down to about 6" in the front yard but bare ground in many other areas. Haven't started the Buick or the Ford since mid-December. If it's a little warmer tomorrow, I might get them outside. Roads are still kinda messy so I don't want to take them out on the road yet.

Guest namvetschrysler

That's for sure Dave, we have just had a long run of 39's and right now wish we could have some snow but alas we don't get it in this part of the world and i have only ever seen it a few times myself.

Cheers mate

George

Guest namvetschrysler

I remember in my younger days in Kalgoorlie 110 - 120 F was common place in those days, there were no air conditioning and the refrigerator run on Kerosene and was not that effective.

• 10 months later...

We have not had a good Snow here for the last several years. The Buick Snow Master Super Shovel just laughs in the face of Nemo. HEH, Heh, heh. :P We have about a foot or better here. Hope all you Nothern Yankee car buddies are well and survived to storm OK. Dandy Dave!

Not much snow here in the Chicago/NW Indiana region lately and I am glad of it. I hate the stuff. It makes my outdoor job ten times more difficult.

I often notice that people who lament the lack of snow are generally people who do not have to work in it.

If we continue to have these mild winters here in the midwest I just might stay when I retire.

Hi all,,,The wind is from the northeast,, 20-40

Drift across the short driveway is 4'

1' around the carport,,,

The roads look passible,,,from my porch,,,

Power o-k so far,,

ALL ski slopes open tomorrow !!!

I just fed my wood stove dessert,,

Ben,,,,in SOUTHERN Maine

Seriously, there are folks in the northeast that were without power for about 2 weeks when Sandy hit and now they're facing the same prospect again. They have my sympathy. We've gotten off easy here so far. The deepest snow we've had was about 10 inches. Friday morning we had about enough to cover the ground lightly and my son in Roanoke, VA, 50 miles away had 5 inches. No, I am not jealous.

Wind has died down,,snow has stopped,,,,I think,,,Total,,a 2-3 feet,more or less,,

The drifting throws off all numbers,,Power o-k as the wind blew off the trees

It was a dry snow,temp around 10,,,,that is,,+10,,,nice powder,,

If you need an Oscosh,,or FWD w/ plow,,rotary,wing or blade ,, whatever

Steve McLean has a whole field of em here in town,,,Stop by on way to Shugarloaf ski area

Just down the street from the STANLEY MUSEUM in Kingfield Me,,,,[,That's Western Maine,,,]

Cheers from Ben in Southern Maine

Edited by cben09 (see edit history)

9 am Sunday morning here - about 15 degrees C (60F to you in the north), looking forward to a nice sunny day and should reach 28 degrees C (about 82F). Not too bad when you are just a couple miles from the Pacific coast at latitude 43.5 south - https://www.google.co.nz/#hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_rn=2&gs_ri=hp&tok=vZVUnNmFaoh55ExuQn-MPQ&cp=20&gs_id=2g&xhr=t&q=latitude+of+christchurch+new+zealand&es_nrs=true&pf=p&safe=off&tbo=d&sclient=psy-ab&oq=%22lattitude+of+Christ&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.42080656,d.cGE&fp=ad9ac3ca71e43921&biw=1920&bih=934 - and the nearest land is South America, several thousand miles away. Mind you we did get a good dump of snow in June, but not as much as you get mup there in the colder latitudes.

Photos... If you don't have a Buick Snowmaster to move this stuff, you just Aint living. Notice how easy it is to shovel the mail box and driveway. I measured 12.5 inches here. Luckily, we have not lost power here. Dandy Dave!

post-44142-143141746261_thumb.jpg

post-44142-143141746267_thumb.jpg

post-44142-143141746274_thumb.jpg

post-44142-14314174628_thumb.jpg

post-44142-143141746286_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)