Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow....

Dandy Dave

Dandy Dave,

How many months out of the year do you actually get to drive your early cars, like the '15 C-37 (I love that car). When I lived in Linden, NJ, we typically put away our old cars by Thanksgiving and didn't take them out again until after Easter, generally lost a good 5 months.

Thanks Marty, I love that car too. I guess I drive them from May until October. I don't drive the 15 a lot. But do excercize it from time to time and go to an occasional show if the weather is right. The 82 Riv has also been in the garage since October. Looks like about 6 months of possible driving. Dandy Dave!

suburban12snowblower002.jpg

Hello,

I ran the tractor down the neighbor's driveway (in creeper gear), hopped off

and got this photo last week. The snow melted the next day with the heavy

rains overnight...

I rebuilt the auger of the blower attachment to include carbide pin inserts for

wear prevention and a stainless steel scraper blade..

Thanks,

Joe:)

The best snow blower I've ever had was a Gravely walk behind with reduction wheels. That thing would blow snow 50 foot. If you were not careful, you could easily fill the neighbors driveway. Nice old tractor you have there Joe. :D Looks lik a, "Chrysler Snow Buster." ;) Dandy Dave!

Weather Report from Korn County.... It has been in the 40's and raining off and on the last few days. The white stuff is melting! :D Turning cold again tommorow. :( Dandy Dave!

Dandy Dave,

How many months out of the year do you actually get to drive your early cars, like the '15 C-37 (I love that car). When I lived in Linden, NJ, we typically put away our old cars by Thanksgiving and didn't take them out again until after Easter, generally lost a good 5 months.

Before I built my garage last fall, I had to put my cars in storage by the last weekend of October in order to get a place in my friend's storage facility. He has 5 car barns on his property - 2 floors each - and can put 63 cars on one floor. He has room for 400 cars and fills up every year. Then I had to wait until the end of April to get them out because mine were always first in - first in, last out.

Now that I have a garage, I put them up in late November and I'll get them out as soon as the snow is gone and the roads dry up - early April, I hope.

OK! I am crying UNCLE!! It was nice for a couple of days here (what a tease!)and then snowed all day again today. The plow came in after dark and I had to snowblow AGAIN...... this winter has to end right? Upstate NY is ridiculous this winter, started Dec 1 and never really let up!

I'd really want to be with Marty driving my old cars rather then driving my snowblower between piles I can barely see over!

OK Bill,

Come on down, and bring Linda, Roman, and Kim -- Mardi Gras is in full swing - parades every day, and Tuesday is the big finale - weather is perfect! 70s and 80s daytime with overnight lows in the low to mid 60s.

they did have some rain Saturday, but no big deal - we just went upriver to a great seafood place for oysters, shrimp, gumbo, catfish, froglegs, hushpuppies and pitchers of Abita Amber (local brewski). You know you are always welcome. Bring lobster - leave the studded tires (leave the gun - take the cannolies).

Marty

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

Lotta rain yesterday, overnight, and still rainy this morning, here in South-Central CT.

Local TV news this morning in fact is talking about a lot of *flooding* issues. I'd say "when it rains, it pours," but that would be trite...

Still a lot of the despised white stuff still on the ground in a lot of spots, though, so mother nature still has more work to do...

Guest windjamer

:mad: Good golly miss molly,It snowed last night. Woke up at 430am and tryed to go back to sleep but I had to look out the window. Wrong, BIG mistake:eek: Found snow over my knees, momas port-a- garage laying on her car evan the dog wouldnt go out. Plow had come through and I couldnt even FIND the mail box. Son-in-law next door thought he would just back out of his garage and go to work,WRONG!! Evan with 4 wheel get a long he couldnt get only about six - eight feet:D:D Oh well, put anouther pot a coffee on mother Im staying home today. :)

Guest Jim_Edwards

Looks like another round is headed your way. I think someone should seriously consider killing that damn Ground Hog!:D

71 and partly Sunny in this part of Texas today and the damn weeds in the lawn are going crazy!:mad:

We had 14 inches atleast that's what my tape measure said 3 inches from my entry door to my shop and that's under a roof. I had to dig his plow truck out after he buried in one of the snow banks. It's starting to get a bit depressing around here. Atleast all my cars are in where it's nice and warm. Only I have to go out to deal with it.

Re: Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK Bill,

Come on down, and bring Linda, Roman, and Kim -- Mardi Gras is in full swing - parades every day, and Tuesday is the big finale - weather is perfect! 70s and 80s daytime with overnight lows in the low to mid 60s.

they did have some rain Saturday, but no big deal - we just went upriver to a great seafood place for oysters, shrimp, gumbo, catfish, froglegs, hushpuppies and pitchers of Abita Amber (local brewski). You know you are always welcome. Bring lobster - leave the studded tires (leave the gun - take the cannolies).

Marty

MARDI GRAS (3/8/11) was moderate with partly sunny skies for most of the day, then overcast in the late afternoon and a few sprinkles after dark.

Temps in the mid-70s, and the crowds were very well behaved - fantastic bands and marching units in at least 5 of the parades.

This was a late-in-the-year date for Mardi Gras - next year will be late February - hopefully decent weather again.

Those of you who get tired of your cold and snowy winters might want to plan a winter trip to New Orleans - preferably at a time other than Mardi Gras to really get to know our wonderful city, and THEN come back another time for Mardi Gras.

Snow continuing to melt away fairly steadily around Southern CT. I think we're still getting down around freezing or slightly below on the overnights, but lately the sun's been out during the day--sure is nice to see--and again, nice to see those snowpiles melting away just like the Wicked Witch...

MARDI GRAS was over at midnight Tuesday,

then 6:00 AM Wednesday we got a major RAIN EVENT - SIX inches in a half-hour - some minor street flooding for about 2 hours until our pumps caught up. We are below sea level, and all rain water must flow through storm sewers to drainage canals, and be pumped to the lake or the river.

Good thing it wasnt 6 ft of snow (I read somewhere that each inch of rain could have produced a foot of snow in cold conditions)

Edited by Marty Roth
typo (see edit history)

s-s, Same situation here in the Charleston, W. Va. area. People have huge pools of water in yards, the creeks and the Kanawha River are way up and will probably reach flood stage. The river is up onto the outdoor stage on the levee area downtown. :eek:

We live up on a ridge so we will be okay. Otherwise we would have to move Woodstock to higher ground as it is the only antique car we have that is in running condition. The other two, a 1963-1/1 Ford Falcon Sprint convertible and a 1939 Dodge Deluxe are taken apart at a level where they can't be moved.

Let It Stop, Let It Stop, Let It Stop.....

We had thick Ice here early Monday morning and it took down a lot of power and telephone lines Including a power pole in my yard. I had to splice the phone wire back myself as it broke. I went out and got a 35KW PTO generator to run off of the tractor so I have power and telephone only because of my own resorcefulness. It is really hard hit here. Most of the neighborhood is back on, but I am not because of the broken pole. Looks like I may opt to bury the cable and do away with the old poles. Man, I'm just plain tired from sawing trees off of the downed power lines and off of the neighbors driveway.

Yeah, Shoot the dang Wood Chuck. Yeah, Dandy Dave!

Marty,

Since this discussion has been pretty far ranging, I might as well chime in with a comment on your post. I just got back from a side trip with the family to Walt Disney World after judging at Homestead. It seemed that everywhere I looked at Disney, I was running into folks with LSU shirts, hats and other indications of being from Louisiana. I finally figured it out when I heard one lady explain that they always schedule their Disney trip to "escape" from Mardi Gras. On a bus ride back to our resort, shortly after the rains arrived at Walt Disney World late last night, I had a nice conversation with a couple of guys from your neck of the woods about the weather, levees, and the lack of good old fashioned common sense in the world.

When the power is out, this is the way to make power. 35KW Generac AC Alternator, 51.8 HP Diesel Fordson Power Major. Burns under 1 gal per hour (.85) @ 1400 RPM and runs the whole house. We used these units on the farms to power the milking equipment back when dairying was strong in this area. The nice thing about a Diesel Tractor is that you can run furnace oil in it so if you cannot get gas locally because of the outage, you can pull some from your furnace oil tank Notice the pole down in the back ground. I didn't get any photos of the devistation at its peak as we needed every spare battery around here for flash lights the first few days of the outage. This is equally as devistating as the ice storm we had here a few Decembers ago. I put a lot of thought in what would be the best solution for a stand by generators for years and have never came up with anything better than this for my given situation. The only thing that would be a step better would be one of these coupled to a water turbine if you had the right conditions along a river, or fast flowing stream. Dandy Dave!

post-44142-143138477032_thumb.jpg

post-44142-143138477052_thumb.jpg

post-44142-143138477072_thumb.jpg

post-44142-14313847709_thumb.jpg

We got 5 inches of snow yeaterday then it turned to rain but not until we had sleet and freezing rain for most of the afternoon. Now water is running everywhere as we have an average of 36 inches on the ground. Snow banks are about 6-8 feet high everywhere. I even got the joy of shoveling my shop and storage trailer roof again. You can now walk off my shop roof onto the snow bank which is 8 feet high on the low side. Can't wait for spring. I paid my plow guy 200 this week to plow my shop and had to shovel my driveway to get my truck out to go to the shop. :(!!!!!!

We got a thick dusting of snow overnight and it is still putting down sort of a sleet /snow mixture.

Here is a link to a story and several photos that show the Kanawha River. What you can't see is the lower walkway that is covered by flood water. And this will go higher as the rain and snow drain from the higher elevations.

Kanawha River Peaks Just Shy of Flood Stage - State Journal - STATEJOURNAL.com

Hey Matt,

Hope you and Beverly enjoyed Disney - sorry I had to cancel out of Homestead due to work considerations, but understand that the meet was a success. I had wanted not only to judge, but also to submit the '37 Roadmaster Phaeton for her first HPOF. Still not sure about Charlotte, but will be in Stowe with '34 Buick for her 1st Meet - will be working merchandise and judging too. Also expect to make the Dual Meet with the Packard in August, but bracing for the cost of the trip, and planning to include the Peterson, Nethercutt, and Blackhawk collections along the way.

Yes, lots of locals "escape" during Mardi Gras - either to Colorado and Utah for Skiing, or to Disney / Cancun / Cozumel to escape the throngs of folks from Iowa/Kansas/NY/You-name-it College campuses who act here the way they would never act in front of their parents. That is usually limited to the French Quarter. We typically have a Family-Friendly "Family-Gras" out here in Jefferson Parish - the kind I can enjoy with Nathan and Dale.

We had one bad rain storm here on Wednesday, and now back to "Chamber-of-Commerce" weather - Crystal-clear skies - 75+ daytime, and high 50s overnight - good for the next week.

We had two big rainstorms this week and lost about 1' of snow. Since it stopped raining yesterday, it's been in the 40's, so the snow is still melting. I'm so glad we had rain instead of snow. I hope we've seen the end but it's still early. We haven't had any ice in this area at all this winter.

Guest prs519

So DD, do you have the Vee plow and the snow wing for the Cat model 12? You should be able to contract for, whoops, they are out of money! Hang in there, and may spring gently and yet quickly melt your snow.

Perry in Idaho

You mean like "Big Bertha" ?

part of the Dick Kemp Mack Truck collection

I saw that sold at the Kemp auction. That was a Nice tractor. If I remember right, it is a Model 28 which is rare.

Nope, No wing or V plow for my Model 12 cat which is in pieces at the moment because of a broken differential case. I have a replacment case. I just need to take the time to put it back together. It is one of only 56 built with a dirrect electric start gas engine. (G4600) And that is the main engine, NOT to be confused with a pony start diesel. (D4600)

Hey, We have over 6000 hits on this topic. Whodathunk...:confused:...:cool:Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

No, I do not think so. But of all the places I have been, and shows and auctions I have gone to, who knows if our paths have crossed?

I'm finnally making some progress on getting hooked back into the power company as I have dug a trench and laid a new 4/0 line yesterday in 2 inch condit 280 feet to the power companys pole. I had two poles in my yard one fell over durring the ice storm over a week ago, The second fell over just a day ago with a gentle push. Still running on the PTO Tractor generator. Hopefully I will get the meter hung and wired today and get the inspectors write off tommorow so NYSEG can hook me back up. Dumping Diesel in that thing is getting old. The phone company dropped off some direct burial cable for me to also put the phone under ground. No more rotten poles to mow around! Yea. :cool: Dandy Dave!

Raining pretty readily again this morning here in Southern Connecticut. I was just outside refilling the bird feeder and noticed about a 6" circular patch of snow left over in a spot where my son and I had been throwing it while shoveling off the wooden deck, a month and a half or so ago. This may possibly be the *last* bit of snow in our entire yard...

Forecast was for rain today but we had 3" of heavy, wet snow that made for very treacherous driving this afternoon. I am sure glad I didn't have to drive a school bus - there was school because it didn't start snowing until 9:00AM. My driveway has a fairly short, steep hill and I didn't think I was going to make it when I got home from work. Had to go out and clear it with the snowblower. Supposed to be fair and 50° tomorrow so it'll all melt. Still have another 18" on the ground, though.

I finally got hooked back into the main grid yesterday. I was getting real tired of feeding that tractor and generator fuel. All in all, it worked well for me. I put at least 70 + hours of running time on it in the last week or so. Time to give the tractor an oil change. Dandy Dave!

Guest Skyking

Yesterday was 71 degrees (while working), this weekend back in the 40's.........sick of this cold weather!!!!!!!:mad: