Hershey Swap meet Observations

Guest BJM

I had an item that I had no idea what it was. The old collector friend who I got it from had a $20 price tag on it. I was able to find someone at Hershey who was able to identify it as a coil tester. It was a nice conversation piece. Lots of folks picked it up and I related the story about how I had finally found out what it was and I really should have put a higher price tag on it. One guy decided that I was right. He was very happy to buy it for $20. If I had only known what it was before Hershey, I could have tested all of those coils that were in the $1 boxes.

My car needs exactly 3 parts. A drivers side armrest that is about 5 feet long, and they are always cracked. Doesn't need, but I want, lighted sunvisors in bright aqua metallic, And if one showed up, a bumper rub strip in better condition than mine. I suppose it is possible that I could have missed a bumper strip. But I am not going to miss bright aqua visors or a 5 foot armrest by not digging in every box of Model A parts. I am quite certain they were not at Hershey.

To put this in perspective, would you want to drive 28 hours round trip to look at 1970's Lincoln parts? Would you dig through boxes of a vendor that specializes in 1970's Lincoln parts hoping to find brass era lamps or Model A parts when there are 8,000 other vendors there to look at that specialize in those very parts, and risk running out of time to look at those other vendors that specialize in those parts?

I am sure there were some deals to be had. But if it is cheap prices on something I can't use, it isn't much of a deal. Especially since I don't ever sell at swap meets.

And as I have said, it was big, it was interesting, I did not have a horrible time. But it is not worth the drive and expense for me to go back when there are so many shows in the midwest that I can attend instead. And guess what? Hershey is not the only place that you can meet people. You can do that at any of the shows I go to in the midwest.

And I know that if I did not see the whole show, I would be upset thinking that everything I wanted was in that last aisle that I missed. Just like when I go to 5 huge antique malls, and miss the dinky little storefront one because it is closed. I think everything I am looking for was in that store I missed. I know I hit every aisle at Hershey and did not miss those visors and armrest sitting under some Model A parts.

Edited by Steve Moskowitz
word choice (see edit history)

While you could have found almost anything in most any of the swap meet spaces, I hope you took the time to check all of the approximately 40 vendors listed in the program as specializing in either Lincoln or Lincoln Contintental parts.

I suspect that somewhere there is someone who bought out the stock of an old dealership and has what you need sitting in the original box waiting to be discovered when you least expect it. I hope you find it sometime soon.

Far from Hershey?

The closest to me it has ever been is about 3000 miles

Now out trip starts at a little "international" airport and fly for over 1/2 day!!

High prices?? Well perhaps your not a good shopper. Sorry I have found so much wonderful stuff a Hershey I don't have room to list them all.

I think it's too easy to judge the meet wrongly when your close to it

Sure there are high priced items by those that would rather "display" rather than SELL but that's everywhere in the world.

I can't tell you the number of times I have picked up and brought an item just layed back down by some fool only willing to pay 1/4 it's REAL value and given the seller 1/3!!

So you want selection..... Hershey is the world's best

Yes it changes year to year but I ALWAYS find rare and wonderful items when we go.

It's also fun to see Seasoned Vendors get embarrased by my wife's bargaining ability.

So **** on the event if you wish. BUT having traveled to most of the world's swapmeets I can say Hershey is better than most all.

The BEST is the next one you find something good at :D

And where else can you watch some guy with a AMC 4 door wagon show his car as a 'CLASSIC'

AND THE CRAB CAKES ARE WONDERFUL :)

Guest windjamer

:eek:O. M. G. And a un-named moderator told me I complane to much:eek: I can not believe some of the comments!! I mean no offence,BUT, due to personal reasons I was at Hershey only Wed. and Thur. this year and then only to deliver some previously purchesed parts. I normaly get there Tues. and stay right on the field untill Fri. noon. I then drive 170 miles home to get my cars and drive back Sat. morning. Linc. you may have walked up and down the rows of the chocolate field and even stoped for a candy bar at chocolate world, but the road runner Beap Beap him self couldnt cover the Red,green chocolate north and south + the car correll in a day and a half:eek: As for Linc. parts I had a whole box of unkown NOS Ford stuff. W/cyls seals switches some chrome stuff still in the oem box. Maby you didnt need it, but I bet some of that FORD junk would fit a Linc.:Dalso spark plugs and maby 40 differant P.C.V. valves.ALL OEM FORD. Being a GM guy, I also had a 5x8 trl. about half full of BUICK (did you get that?) Caddy and Chevy junk.ON WITH THE SHOW!!! The region is to be congradulated for an outstanding job. From the playing of the Anthem each day right down to the entry and exit of the show cars. BTW, I thought the coffee at the nut house was vary good Brickers frys where better and for the first time trying them, the crab cakes where ex. Well down Hershey.

I go to Hershey for the sheer enjoyment of going and wandering around. This year, I concentrated on pedal cars, toys and promo models. I also found a decent set of the optional "turbine" style wheel covers for my LTD that I have been looking for for 5 years. My point is, you don't have to be looking for something to enjoy Hershey.

Yes, I saw red, green, orange, chocolate north and south and went through the car corral twice in a day in a half. Then spent a couple hours at the Packard tent because I was too tired to walk anymore. I know of a junkyard in Minneapolis that has about 10 1970's Town Cars, 4 Mark IV's, and a couple Mark V's. If I didn't find the parts I needed there in April, I'm sure I didn't miss 2+ foot long bright aqua visors and a 5 foot armrest in a box of Model A parts at Hershey. I don't need switches, chrome trim, or any mechanical parts which can easily be bought 1/2 block from my house at NAPA either. A couple of guys mentioned that Hershey is not the place to look for Buick, Olds, or Pontiac parts, so I really don't understand why everyone insists that the parts I needed were buried in some box I didn't look through. The color of my car is unique to the Givenchy Edition, of which there were less than 1,000 produced. And I only need 2 parts in that color, one of which breaks on every car with more than 20,000 miles, and the other was an option. So why is it so hard to believe that they weren't there? I didn't expect to find them before I left, and wasn't surprised when I went home without them. I do the same type of scanning and looking through stuff when antique shopping, and have a house loaded with rare and valuable antiques. Do you see the color of my car in the pic? Now how hard would it be to spot parts over two feet in length in that color? Maybe the rest of you could use some lessons in power shopping.

Again, I never said I had a bad time. I came to see it, and saw it. I went to the AACA museum and Chocolate World (both on Weds, swap was Thurs and Fri), ate a crabcake, pumpkin ice cream, and pierogis. Best deal I found wasn't even car related. It was a 1940's Waring blendor in mint condition for $20. I passed on it because I already have a 1930's Waring blendor in mint condition, and couldn't think of a reason to buy another, but that was hard to walk away from. I also looked for the glass I am missing from a rare set of Classic Cars drinking glasses. Found one booth that had 4 I already have, but not the one I am missing. I would like to have found more 8 track tapes, but I already have over 200, and was not going to pay way more than what I do at my local resale shop for tapes that weren't very interesting. Finding them isn't hard, it's finding ones you actually want to listen to.

Maybe there were deals to be had on Auburn, Hupmobile or Brass Era parts. But since I don't need any of those parts, I didn't buy them. I did not "miss" them because I didn't look through every box. I wasn't interested in them. I have a small 2 car garage that barely fits the Lincoln and my daily driver. I am not going to stockpile it with parts for cars I will never own. The Lincoln and Buick parts I already have clutter it up enough.

And driving 170 miles to Hershey is a far cry from driving 725 miles one way. In fact my flights to Paris and Rome didn't take any more time for traveling. Those were also about 12-14 hours long. I had a nice time at both of those places as well, but don't see any need to go back either. I'd rather go someplace I haven't been. Same deal with Hershey, it's nice, but it isn't the only car show/swap meet in the country. If it was 170 miles away, I'd probably go back. But at 725 miles away, I'd rather go someplace I haven't been next year.

Edited by LINC400 (see edit history)

This yeas was the best year I have had at Hershey since I first attended in 1971 when I was only 6 years old. I have only missed a few years due to school or family events. It was my fourth year of selling pre war only parts and sales were the best ever, up 40 percent from last year. My average sale was 300 dollars. NO Hershey is not dead or dyeing, and there are still parts out there for the hard to find cars. I found more rare Pierce Arrow parts on the field this year than in the last ten years combined, all priced at what I consider reasonable. I would like to see a few changes like less motor homes with no parts for sale on the fields. And it would sure be nice to have the fields broken into pre/post war and ford areas. Also, do we need all the cheap junk toy and jewelry dealers all over the place. It should be kept to car hobby only sellers. My only true gripe is the quality of the food available on the fields. I don't mind the high prices for quality items, but recycled road kill they serve is terrible.:rolleyes:

Though we'd planned to go to this year, I wasn't able to go to because I'm still recovering from hip surgery.

The plan was to find '34 Packard parts for the Coupe Roadster's resto, I know they would have been there,

and I would have been prepared to pay the price (within reason :)).

Reading the responses, I'm sure glad the newbies didn't have to contend with slogging thru acres of mud

to either find stuff, or come up empty-handed! And wasn't most of the weather downright near-perfect?

I think auburnseeker's photo below really sums up what Hershey can mean;

just don't know how long it took him to find all of it...

66720d1286807022-hershey-swap-meet-observations-10-10-2010-002.jpg

There are Buick and Ols parts, along with a bunch of stuff that looks pretty darned nice as I sit here and type.

I don't buy into the "if it's not at Hershey it doesn't exist" hype (folks used to say that about NYC when I

lived there, too; total BS on both counts), but you might find it, and other things, too.

As for the tired old "Ford & Chevy" lament, let's remember how many were made (and spare parts to go with them),

so of course there's going to be more of that around. If we choose to collect Buicks, Lincolns, Packards, Brass-Era

or whatever, we've known since Day Two of ownership that what we need for them isn't going to laid before us on

silver platters, like so much low-hanging fruit.

It's too bad that some can't see the forest for the trees.

TG

Just reallized that exactly one week ago I was knee deep in a mountain of parts, shiny, rusty, cheap, expensive, rare, common etc. Petroliana, great cars, great friends new and old...

Now I am sitting in my office knee deep in, well something other than that!

Counting the days 'till next year...

Guest windjamer
:) Right on TG. Looking at the shiny thing in the middle of seakers photo it looks kind of like a hood ornament for a 48 Chevy. I have two, anybody need one??:D

Guest Silverghost

LINC400:

I can understand your point of view & your frustration in trying to find parts for your Lincoln C. My uncle had a Bill Blass edition in that period of time !

I remember when he bought it he said to the salesman " I don't care anything about Bill Blass~ I just like the color combination !"

"How much does Blass get for each one of these cars sold ?"

Looking for the correct color interior parts you seek is like looking for a "Needle in the haystack"

It was a limited production "special designer edition".

I also doubt that there were any at the Hershey flea market.

It may well take you years of searching to find those special color parts !

IF you can EVER find the proper color parts !

You must admit your search is a very unusual situation !

Did you ever consider finding another arm rest and having it spray color dyed ?

I wish you great luck in your .future parts search !

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)

Steve_Mack - according to TimeandDate.com, there's 355 days, 11 hours and 40 minutes~ to 7:00AM, October 5, 2011.

You're right, it's hard to believe it's been a week already.

Strange driving into work this morning and passing the Hershey Lodge as it was still semi dark out. Last week you saw antique cars peaking out of the darkness and today there was a full size mockup of the space shuttle.

Ron, we no longer stay at the Lodge, left three years ago, cost went off the charts. It was nice to stay there (30 years) and see cars in the parking lot that you knew would be in the show Saturday. I didn't see ANY this year out and about while in town. We got a room just down the road two weeks before the show. Have things really changed? Remember the "Old Days" when you had to book a room a year in advance, and cars and car haulers were all over Hershey. What happened, were did they all go?

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

Glad to say that the hotel I've been staying at since coming to Hershey several years ago still has most of the same "clientele", if you will; we all run into each other sooner or later during the week, and it's nice to be recognized by the old friends who make it their home away from home for a few days in Hershey.

There are the familiar cars in the parking lot, whether it be everyday vehicles with personalized license plates showing their affections for their favorite marque, pick-ups going to and from the swap meet, as well as the classics such as the Pierce-Arrow which makes it in by the end of the week, the usual old car or two that later can be seen at the car corral, as well as those recognizing my '62 Olds Starfire. One of the regulars bought a '61 Starfire convertible this past spring, and couldn't wait to see me so he could show the pictures. I do miss the beautiful '63 Caddy convertible that was always perched in front of the hotel every year; the owner sold it a couple years back at Fall Hershey.

The camaraderie in town during that week, whether it be at the swap meet, the hotel, the local restaurants, and of course the big car show on Saturday, cannot be matched anywhere else but in Hershey. Already looking forward to next October!

Got to Hershey Friday afternoon and went straight to the car corral and starting taking pictures. The shadow situation got very bad before the evening was over so half of the photos aren't real good but they're still keepers. Wore my legs out walking and ran out of time also so retreated to Carlisle for the night. Returned early Saturday morning and went to the show field. Again I ran out of time but got nicer photos than the day before. I noticed one of the vendors seemed to peddling used dresses. That seems out of place at a car show. I hope she paid dear for the priviledge. There was a 3-wheeled car in the car corral that was clearly a copy of a Morgan. It was labeled as a 1937 JZR. JZR began making cars about 1990 or so. To call that car a 1937 model is to me blatant false advertising. Just wondering if anyone else feels this way. By the way this was my 3rd trip to Hershey. I will never forget the first one in 2005. Why we didn't all drown that Friday I'll never know. Will I come back again? If I think my legs will take it. They're almost 71 years old and never let me forget that. By the way, why have my legs aged so much faster than the rest of me?

Ron, we no longer stay at the Lodge, left three years ago, cost went off the charts. It was nice to stay there (30 years) and see cars in the parking lot that you knew would be in the show Saturday. I didn't see ANY this year out and about while in town. We got a room just down the road two weeks before the show. Have things really changed? Remember the "Old Days" when you had to book a room a year in advance, and cars and car haulers were all over Hershey. What happened, were did they all go?

For as many hotels that are in the area as compared to years ago you would think that the rates certainly would be better without having to stay in Lancaster, etc.

Not too many judged show cars running around town either, just a lot of DPC and HPOF however the restorations today are much better (and more expensive) and take longer than years ago. A 1<SUP>st</SUP> place junior in 1990 would probably be a 3<SUP>rd</SUP> today. The hobby has certainly changed. Just wait another 10 years and some will be talking about the good old days of 2010.

LINC400:

I can understand your point of view & your frustration in trying to find parts for your Lincoln C. My uncle had a Bill Blass edition in that period of time !

I remember when he bought it he said to the salesman " I don't care anything about Bill Blass~ I just like the color combination !"

"How much does Blass get for each one of these cars sold ?"

Looking for the correct color interior parts you seek is like looking for a "Needle in the haystack"

It was a limited production "special designer edition".

I also doubt that there were any at the Hershey flea market.

It may well take you years of searching to find those special color parts !

IF you can EVER find the proper color parts !

You must admit your search is a very unusual situation !

Did you ever consider finding another arm rest and having it spray color dyed ?

I wish you great luck in your .future parts search !

I did have another color armrest painted for the passenger side, but the driver's side is near impossible to find. It was a bad design and every one on a car with more than 20,000 miles is cracked. Fortunately the lighted visors are not needed, I just want them because it is the only option the car is missing, and I use them to put on my sunblock since I fry to a crisp in 15 minutes of sun. Every other Lincoln I have had was equipped with them. But I agree, I will probably never find them in this color. There is no way to paint them.

I assume the Bill Blass was a 1979 (two tone white and midnight blue)? It is actually kind of funny, but the BB was offered in 4 different colors from 1976-79, but when anyone says BB, it is always referring to the '79, and everyone assumes they all looked like that.

Not sure if it was the Lodge or not, but went to the Hershey Hotel just to check it out. They said it was built in 1932. I was impressed by it. I wish we would have been staying there.

I would like to have gone to some of the restaurants on the list, but Mr. Tightwad just took us to his preferred places, which were ok, but not spectacular and rather high priced (which seemed out of character for Mr. Tightwad)

Apparently that is only in the evening though. He brought his doggie bags and sandwiches in his cooler for during the day. He offered to put my doggie bag in his cooler for the day (I wonder if there would have been a charge for that?), and when I told him I gave it to my cat the night before (cat is on medication and always travels with), he looked at me like I was going to starve at the swap meet.

Edited by LINC400 (see edit history)

Just reallized that exactly one week ago I was knee deep in a mountain of parts, shiny, rusty, cheap, expensive, rare, common etc. Petroliana, great cars, great friends new and old...

Now I am sitting in my office knee deep in, well something other than that!

Counting the days 'till next year...

steve mack.. well said..

this weekend I find that I am suffering from PHD.. Post Hershey Depression

this year was great as usual.. but I wasnt looking for 1970's era lincoln parts.. if I were. I am sure I could find them though contacts I could find at Hershey..

a photo from the "unload" Sunday following my trip..

DSC00245-vi.jpg

yes. I drove the Woodie to and from the show.

yes I came home with a spare 40 deluxe hood strapped to the roof rack.. (that I bought saturday morning for less than any other hood I've ever bought)

YES.. I cant wait for next year..

more details of my weekends antics here:

The Recycled 40 Ford Woodie Project

Mr Moskowitz i passed you on the field Friday, and wish I would have stopped you to introduce myself, but I believe we were both in a hurry.. .. I guess I'll wait until I have the oppertunity for Mr. Walters to introduce us sometime..

best wishes..

sawzall

Sawzall...Mr. Moskowitz?? Yikes, I realize you are a young guy but the name is Steve! Looks like you did well for yourself. The crowd was huge this year and there is no way everyone finds what they need, has a perfect experience, etc. However, Hershey to those of us who have attended over the years is still one of the best weeks of the year.

Besides finding a ultra rate piece of history, my car got a visit from Dr. Curved Dash Olds, I got to see a ton of friends, met many new ones, got a glimpse of some amazing cars at the show, the club sold an incredible amount of merchandise and over all we have been left drained but pretty satisfied that the majority of people who attend will be back next year and the year after!

Oh, you know that Walters guy??!! I have to be nice as he is coming over tomorrow to look at a bit of machinist work I need. I have to suck up a bit. Sooooooooooooooooo, I will be so happy to have Doug introduce us as he is the most important person in our area. The township's unofficial mayor and my guiding light for all things!

Dodge Brothers quality machine work on an Olds? What is getting upgraded? Steve can we get an overview of what the piece of Olds/Ford literature is about that you found in the flea market? Lucky find or something that was hand delivered to you? Bob:)

Oh, you know that Walters guy??!! I have to be nice as he is coming over tomorrow to look at a bit of machinist work I need. I have to suck up a bit. Sooooooooooooooooo, I will be so happy to have Doug introduce us as he is the most important person in our area. The township's unofficial mayor and my guiding light for all things!

Bob, the Curved Dash Olds club will be reprinting it and i will post it on the forum after it comes out. I want the CDO guys to get first crack at it. A very nice person contacted me prior to the meet and asked about authenticating the photo. It also had a letter. I bought it at Hershey as he brought it to show me. It is a picture of hte prototype for the CDO and a letter from one of the designers to Henry Ford. What he wrote was mind boggling.

Now Bob you should know that the Dodge Brothers did make parts from Olds Motor Works.

Thanks Steve, I'm looking forward to the Olds/Ford literature printing, that early stuff is great to read. I'm very happy to have many DB made parts on my 1912 T Touring, front axle and spindles and parts of the steering column. I did have a DB flywheel for a T years ago, should have kept it.

I too missed my chance to meet Mr. Moskowitz, as he was very busy doing a TV interview in the lobby of the library. When he was done I ended up taking the reporter for a spin in my car. Below is a link to the video. Mr. Moskowitz looks very professional during the interview. Several of my friends who saw it on TV said I had a great face for radio. Ed

Video Landing Page - abc27 News

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

Vendors dont come back year after year unless they are making money. So i'm sure there was plenty of money exchanging hands.

I didn't go to buy, but I did walk much of the swap meet over thursday and friday. If the people walking around with parts were any indication, there was lots of selling going on.

The diversity of cars and parts was pretty impressive. The car corral was packed with people and many of the cars had "sold" signs on them, even on thursday.

Don, I was resting in Terry Bond's flea spot on Friday when the fellow next door with the wonderful framed art works spoke up loudly, "What have you guys bought now?"

Turns out that his kids (grandkids, 9 or 10 year old) had bought an old military surplus ammo case, a rather large case that had written on the sides.." DO NOT DROP, EXPLOSIVES!"

They were tickled pink, I thought it was really funny seeing them dragging this thing to their flea spot!

Wayne

Guest Silverghost

That photo above gives new meaning to the phrase...

I'm taking the "old bomb" to the Hershey Show Flea-Market to sell this year !

What a "Blast" the Hershey Flea Market is...

You just never know what, or who, may turn-up !

That's why we all keep comming back ... Year after Year !

Sorry I missed out on all the Hershey Fun this year ~

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)

Haggle 101...

Bought a steering column this summer at a farmers auction for a mere $1. Complete with banjo 53 Buick steering wheel, column, gear box, and another 50lbs of tie rods and control arms all stuck together with about 3 inches of thick black goooo. Weighed about 150 lbs total.

No way to tie it up, no where in the barn to roll it into a corner... tripped over the dang thing all summer. At Hershey I put a $50 price on the boat anchor and hoped it would disappear. While walking the field my partner calls me and says we have a offer... I replied back take what you can get....!!!!!

The $40 bought a Buick fan some spare parts, in a round about way saving some vintage parts from the scrap mans hands. Me and my pal feasted on some of that really good stuffed pizza found near the bridge.

I have been to Hershey for many years and have seen many odd thigs for sale. My unusual fid this wa sin the Chocolate annex near the Hershey Drive entrance where we used to cross to the White field. A guy had an under the counter dishwasher, a refrigerator and a front door with sidelights for sale!! Maybe looking for an RV restorer in the crowd.......

I still think the oddest thing was the wicker funeral home basket- with a skeleton!- a few years back!! Sat up on a roll off watching the crowd go by all week!