6 Volt batteries

Guest bofusmosby

Guest bofusmosby

Please forgive this stupid question, but seeing that I am all new to this, I figured this would be the best place to ask this question.

I bought a car (1937 Pontiac 4-door sedan) a few months ago out of state, and FINALLY it is on its way home. The man who sold it to me called me to let me know that the car is going to need a new battery. m The car started, but he had to put the battery on his charger, and seeing that the battery is about 10 years old, its at the end of its useful life. The car is still on a 6 volt system, so I am going to need to get a 6 volt battery. Do the regular auto parts stores generally still carry the 6 volt batteries? Are they more expensive than the 12 volt batteries? Also, can anyone make any recommendations on what I should get? I know that the battery is located under a mat on the floor of the drivers side, and it was recommended by him to me that I wait until the car arrives before I get a battery, to make sure it will fit. I wish I could go ahead and have the battery here when the car arrives, so for my next question, does anyone know what physical size of a battery I will need to fit in this space?

Once I get the car, then my education will begin, so the questions should get better......I hope.:D

Thank you for any and all answers you can provide me on this! I really appreciate it!

Jim, yes, 6 volt batteries are available and are usually not as expensive as 12 volts. I get mine at Tractor Supply, but most big box auto places have or can get them. I usually pay around $45 with the exchange. They usually last around 5 to 7 years. I do keep a charger/maintainer on them especially during the winter.

And yes, I would wait until it arrives so you can get the right sized battery. I would just all around and make sure you know a store has them in stock. Also when you are at the store, get yourself a 6 volt battery charger. They are around $40 or so.

Also you can have your local garage that carries Interstate Batteries order one for you. But they are usually double or more in price than Tractor Supply stores.

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_eStore/Products/RT/PID-I-26R(Automotive+Truck).aspx?dsNavigation=N~2147384794-4294493371&Title=Interstate+-+65+Months+-+450+CCA

Post pics when your new baby comes home.

Edited by unimogjohn (see edit history)

Guest cben09

Up here in Maine we have enough wood saws w/model A engines,,,and tractors that both use 6 volt that both NAPA and the local hardware store carries them in stock,,as well as the large 7/8" model A plugs,,,I would suggest to check the compression,before starting,,,just be sure it has SOME on all cylenders,,don't worry of the pressure,,,JUST THIS to be sure an intake is not sticking,,,if one stays open it can fire back through the carb and maybee cause fire,,be sure aircleaner is on,,,Good luck,,,Ben

Unless it's one of the long skinny batteries, it should be affordable.

I couldn't find one for less than $125 for my '40 Buick when I owned it.

Tractor supply or Farm and Fleet would be my first stop once you know the correct measurements.

Battery Tender (Deltran) sells a 6 volt charger. Worth every penny.

Guest bofusmosby

Thank you for the responses guys. I gave it some thought, and remembered there is a large battery place that I drive right by everyday going to work. I KNOW they will have what ever I need. I just wish someone had a 37 Pontiac here on this site, so I could get the measurements of the battery compartment. When the car is delivered next weekend, it would sure make it a lot easier to have the new battery on hand, so the car could easily be started and driven to the garage in the back yard. To push it there will be virtually impossible, because of the incline on the driveway. I agree about getting a 6 volt charger. A definate must.

Maybe I'll start another thread, asking if anyone here on this site has a 37 Pontiac, so I can get the measurements. Like I said, it would make it a lot easier.

Guest Bob Call

Jim

Here is a link showing the dimensions of the 6V Delco battery that fits your 37 Poncho. If you go to Tractor Supply or NAPA with the dimensions they can tell you the battery group number and you can then buy whatever brand is available at your local store.

GM Batteries

Edited by Bob Call (see edit history)

Guest bofusmosby

Bob

Could you please check the link? I couldn't get it to go through. Thank you!

Brian

Which is the height, width and and depth? Also, keep in mind that I have never seen this car, so I have no idea how the terminals are aligned. I am assuming that all cars of this time period had them on the top, but I do not know which post would be positive, and which one would be negative. I understand what you are saying though. If they are not correct, then the cables may not reach.

Edited by bofusmosby
spell (see edit history)

Guest DeSoto Frank

If the battery lives under the floor of the car, and you simply must have a battery on-hand when it first arrives, get a Group 1.

This is the smallest six-volt auto battery, and definitely fits the "under-floor" battery "boxes" of Chevy cars /trucks thru 1954. A Group 2 will not. Would assume the Pontiac is pretty similar.

As far as I know, except maybe for the "long skinny" six-volts, the terminals are at diagonal corners of the case, so there's no issues with "making sure the terminals are "in the correct place", like we have with 12-volt batteries ( Fords for example...).

I've been getting my Group 1 six-volts from Sam's Club for the last 10-15 years, with good results - averaging three to five years (sometimes more) out of a battery.

If you have a Tractor Supply Company or "big battery distributor" nearby, one them will have what you need.

( I know someone posted a chart with the battery dimensions by vehicle application; just making suggestions based on my experience with a couple of cars with "battery in the floor": anything larger than Group 1 won't fit. Maybe a '37 Pontiac owner will chime-in.)

Edited by DeSoto Frank (see edit history)

Many owners swear by Ultima batteries. They have more power for starting, and last longer than regular batteries. But they cost more money too.

If I was buying a battery and wanted long trouble free service I would pay the extra money and buy an Ultima.

They are the ones with cylindrical cells like a 6 pack of Coke.

• Like 1

Jim,

In our area (Tampa Bay), you have lots of choices. The Tractor Supply as mentioned in Tampa: Advance Auto, on every corner: NAPA: Sam's Club: has a big 6 volt Golf Car Battery that I use in my 35 Ford Pickup Truck is a killer battery.

I had to lower the battery box (below the floor) but it's worth it. That big sucker take abuse and discharge and always comes back because it's a deep cycle designed to be run way down and recharged. Mine has outlasted the Optima in my car. And it's a lot cheaper!

If you have the space, get the Sam's Club 6 volt.

You still waiting for that car? Is it coming by boat?

Guest bofusmosby

Thank you guys for all the great responses. As far as Tampa goes, there is a place call "posey Battery" that makes their own batteries, and I have used them for many years without any problems. The larger battery sounds good, but since the car is still in transit, I'd rather not have to lower the battery compartment to obtain enough room for the better battery. In the future, I might just do that. With the info that you nice people have provided, I believe that I can go ahead a buy a battery, so when the car arrives, I can just install it and be done with it. Before I purchase a battery, I'll be sure that THEY are the ones that look it up, so if any mistakes are made, then they will have to take it back. At least I now know the measurements, and this can be checked before the purchase.

Paul, yes, I am still waiting for the car. It was just picked up yesterday evening in Montana, and I hope to be getting it sometime next Sunday.....unless there is some sort of delay again. I spoke to the guy who picked the car up, and he told me he thought I got a real good deal on it ($4,000). He was really impressed with how well the engine ran. Very quiet, and not a bit of smoke. He commented that the only thing the car needs is power steering and power brakes. :D

I've got a whole pile of parts, just waiting for the arrival. I have 3 replacement windows, the front nose assembly, the turn signal switch, along with some fog-lights, that will double as the front blinkers. Plus a bunch of other odds and ends. I think I'll be busiy for a while when it finally gets here.

I want to thank everyone who chimed in on the thread. I believe I'd be lost without your help.

Edited by bofusmosby (see edit history)

As far as the power steering and power brakes- old ladies and grannies drove them when they were new :)

I know a couple of people who wanted to cut the frame off and add a modern suspension to similar cars. I talked them into repairing their stock suspension and getting an alignment. This took away all desire to have power steering. The original suspension, with good shocks, and bias ply tires or radials pumped up to 32 pounds, is as good as power steering except in parking.

Guest bofusmosby
As far as the power steering and power brakes- old ladies and grannies drove them when they were new :)

Yea, my wife can't wait to get behind the wheel, and she weighs all of 90 lbs. :D

Geez, to cut the frame would IMO destroy the character of the old car.

Guest Bob Call

Jim

I just checked the link to GM Batteries and it worked. Anyway, it is antiqueautobattery.com. Go there to the GM battery page and click on view on the line for your battery and it shows the battery. The correct battery is 10.25 in long, 6.75 in wide and 9 in tall.

Guest 4buick7

I just replaced the 6 volt battery in my '47 Buick. I googled Interstate Batteries as I heard that they still make 6 volts. The Buick takes the long skinny battery which can be more difficult to find. Interstate directed me to my local Firestone store. They had a battery ready for me to pick up the next day and only charged me $80. Give them a try, they might even know the correct size for your Pontiac.

Sid Munger

BCA2257

'47 Buick Super Estate Wagon

for now go with the group 1 idea. sounds good to me for the time being. but, for more options some years ago i bought the optima 6v battery $145. still good...and fits anywhere because it's so narrow.(and no acid mess!) i swap it between all my 6v cars as needed...

Jim,

Your car calls for a Group 2 Battery which is slightly larger and more capable than a Group 1.

It is likely a better choice, as per the GM Batteries link which was previously provided.

Best of luck, Marty

post-54863-143138197396_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138197397_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138197399_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138197401_thumb.jpg

Guest bofusmosby

Marty

I called Interstate battery this morning, and they have both the group 1 & 2 in stock. The one problem is though, the group 2 is slightly larger than the measurements that the others gave me. Instead of 6.75 depth, the one they have (group 2) is 7" deep, and the height is 9.13" tall, instead of 9" tall. I don't know how tight the compartment actually is. Their group 1 is smaller than the measurements that have been given to me, but I want to get the most battery I can for the size allowed. The price difference is only a few $$. The length is the same. I also called the GM battery place, and they may have some great batteries, but they are just too expensice for my budget right now. They was $280 for a group 2 battery, with $32 in shipping.

Guest billybird

The cost of an Optima battery is saved in less frustration and lowered blood pressure. I am on my second one now in the last 13 years and would'nt even consider anything else for a six volt vehicle.

Guest billybird

The last one I bought was probably a year ago. I got it from Summit Racing. Cost around 125.00-135.00 shipping and all. Sometimes if you poke around on the internet you can catch them on sale cheaper than that. Most hobbyists will vouch for the integrity of this battery.

Guest DeSoto Frank
The last one I bought was probably a year ago. I got it from Summit Racing. Cost around 125.00-135.00 shipping and all. Sometimes if you poke around on the internet you can catch them on sale cheaper than that. Most hobbyists will vouch for the integrity of this battery.

Summit Racing sells a 6-volt battery ???

I'd have never expected that !

:rolleyes:

• 7 years later...
Guest Medford-Rick

Can anyone tell me the dimensions and/or the Group number of a battery that would be found under the hood of a 1946 Ford 1 1/2 ton truck with dual rear wheels and a 134" wheelbase?  Our battery is missing and so is part of the battery "box."

Rick Black

Southern Oregon Historical Society

Medford Oregon 

SOHS 1946 Ford Fire Engine.jpg

32 minutes ago, Medford-Rick said:

Can anyone tell me the dimensions and/or the Group number of a battery

If your organization is funding sensitive, here is what I do,  My local Tractor Supply store stocks two automotive 6 volts batteries.

The smaller of the two which can start that exact engine is definitely called a Group One.

Their very larger one that I prefer to use on large older straight 8 cars under their floors is around 104$ here as of perhaps 1.5 years ago.  I found out by accident that many of those big prewar cars from early-mid 30s I have done, do have simple frame brackets that can be easily "adjusted" by adding a different belly pan in those brackets to just barely fit that large one...."only if larger one is needed". 

See if you can web search if you have a Tractor Supply near you, and then look up that battery group number if you need that one, or just check the availably of the Group one to see  if it is a normal shelf item there...it should be as it is used for older ag tractors that farmers still use.  I will admit I do find their web search tool somewhat tiring, your results may vary,  :)

Edited by F&J (see edit history)

When I needed a battery, I measured the space available then looked up the size group then found the biggest batteries that would fit, then found those with the highest cold cranking amps (CCA) and the highest reserve capacity (RC), then went and bought one. I did it all on line once I had the measurements.

• Like 2

I'm using the Optima Battery 6V in My 1936 Buick 80C works great cranking the 320CI Straight 8. I also found a battery box on EBay -

Original Style Battery Case Hides 6 volt Optima Battery Classic & Vintage Cars  I also add a Delco Black and Yellow old style sticker on the outside of it. ( I found it on EBay too.)  So now it looks as a old battery.

On 6/12/2017 at 8:36 PM, Medford-Rick said:

Can anyone tell me the dimensions and/or the Group number of a battery that would be found under the hood of a 1946 Ford 1 1/2 ton truck with dual rear wheels and a 134" wheelbase?  Our battery is missing and so is part of the battery "box."

Rick Black

Southern Oregon Historical Society

Medford Oregon 

SOHS 1946 Ford Fire Engine.jpg

You should try here as a number of guys have redone fire trucks like this. Post the pic and you will get a number of replays. One fellow - Chicago Fire Patrol" in FL has a beautiful restored truck. 

A couple thoughts:

1. Since there are several manufacturers of 6-volt batteries, do check the Cold Cranking Amp (CCA) rating.  (Don't go by "Cranking Amps") Get the highest you can get.  A number of cheaper batteries have lower CCA ratings.  Optima (the gel-type battery which has been mentioned in this discussion) has something like 850 CCA which is extremely good.  Some inexpensive batteries have CCA ratings in the 500's and 600's.  See if you can do better. 

I have been using a "DEKA" group 2 battery #902, which used to be rated at 780CCA  but now DEKA only rates it at 675. (For specs go to http://www.dekacatalog.com/ and type 902 in the search box.)  The price ran in the mid nineties.  You can order these through many battery or auto electric shops.

Batteries Plus Bulbs (a chain of battery stores) sells a Duracell Group 2 battery for about $85, but it too is only rated at 675 CCA.  For more, go here: https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/sli2

2. If your under-seat battery holder has a metal top (to keep cold air out of the car interior) be VERY mindful of battery height.  Back in 1965 I was driving my '39 DeSoto to college when the battery posts shorted out on the metal battery box top, and the seat upholstery caught fire.  The battery place had installed the incorrect battery.  (I managed to yank the flaming seat cushion out of the car in time. After it burned up and cooled down, I reinstalled the metal frame and springs, and continued my journey, sadder but wiser in the way of batteries.)

Not sure about the size, but I got the last Group1  6 volt battery for my 1933 Chevrolet several months ago from Batteries +Bulbs.  They had a great price and for that size battery their 6 volt DuraCell car batteries had the  highest power output of all the different brands I looked at.

As I recall, they had several different size 6 volt car batteries.

Edited by Vila (see edit history)

They also have the "long skinny" ones at a great price.

About a year ago I picked one up for a friend for his '48 Olds for about $80.

I've BEEN buying batteries from Carquest......American made in Pennsylvania.

Since Advance bought them out I might be sticking with Batteries + Bulbs.