What is your favorite dashboard?

Amphicar BUYER

Guest abh3usn

I dig the Jetsons inspired dashes such as '60 Polara, '60 Lincoln, '55 Buick, '59 Buick, '59 Olds. Sports cars, XK-120 dash is classic, MG-TC, MGA, MGB. Morgans. Great Stuff.

I'm partial to the dash in my 67 f/85. Maybe because I restored it myself. Lots of gluing pieces back in place, filling cracks, sanding, and painting. Turned out very nice, if I do say so myself! I'm in the process of restoring the Rally Pac dash for my 67 Cutlass convertible. I have two other 66-67 Cutlass dashes on the shelf to fix up too. Might make a few bucks on ebay with them.

post-33014-143138027355_thumb.jpg

Guest windjamer

I dont remember the year make or model,but as a kid I remember a dash that changed color with the increse of speed. Started out green went to yellow changed to red and I think at 90 mph or there about it turned black. I thought it was the best, still do.

All nice dashboards, but I kept hoping for a picture

of a 1959 Chevrolet dashboard and instruments. It's

still considered a space age look! Anyone have a

picture?

I withhold my vote until I see it again.

• 2 weeks later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: windjamer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont remember the year make or model,but as a kid I remember a dash that changed color with the increse of speed. Started out green went to yellow changed to red and I think at 90 mph or there about it turned black. I thought it was the best, still do. </div></div>

The dash in 1946 to early 1949 Plymouth P15s and Canadian built Dodge D25s work like that but I didn't know they turned black at 90 mph. I doubt if my Dodge will go that fast. Brendan.

• 4 weeks later...

John, I know I'm being synical, but my favorite dashboard is of a car that is nice looking on the outside that is PAID FOR!!

Being able to sit behind a dashboard and knowing that you don't have to send the bank a check every month in order to keep it is the nicest dash in the world.

• 11 months later...

I am a dashboard guy--when I was a kid walking to and from school back in the late '60s-early '70s, I always looked inside the cars (mainly from the '50s and '60s at that point in time) to check out the dashes, and also to see how many miles were racked up on the odometer. More than once I had a fuddy-duddy accost me for looking inside their car (like, an 8-year old kid is going to steal it? Jerks...but I digress).

While I am partial to Oldsmobiles, and will up-front state that I always liked the speedometers on the '59-'62 full-size models, with the "safety spectrum" cylinder that was green from 0-35, orange from 35-65, and red from 65-120 (anyone who knows what happens after that, let us know!), as well as the first Toronado's from '66 and '67 with the rotating wheel speedometer right in the middle of the dash, it is tough to beat the "Astra-Dome" speedometers of the early '60s Chryslers, especially those on the Letter-Series 300's that went up to 150 mph. Loved the tiered, three-dimensional dials, and that sucker sure glowed nice at night.

Also, is it true that the rotating dome speedometer on the '58 Edsels that were equipped with its version of the speed minder would glow red if the pre-set speed was reached? Would love to see that.

OK, just got through reading what was submitted previously, and there are some great choices there that I love as well. Of course those '37 Cord dashes are fantastic, as well as the mid-'50s Fords that have the natural backlight; the mirror dashes of the '60-'61 Buicks flip me out, and the '59-'60 Chevy dashes with all those pods are cool. Glenn had mentioned about the '60s Pontiac dashes; little touches like the Indian Head for the high-beam indicator (if I remember correctly), as well as the canted gauges on the early '60s full-size Pontiacs are nicely designed. The cockpit of the '63 Studebaker Avanti is nicely designed and full of gauges as well (not to mention the funky '57-'58 era Studebakers (not sure which models) that have a green window that indicates the speed--far out!

It was mentioned about the "Jetsons" look, and that brings to mind those funky Mopars, such as the '60 Plymouths, with the speedometer above the dashboard; the pods on a '58 Imperial are big enough to house what Dolly Parton made famous, and the "tiered" dashes of cars like the '56 Mercury, the '57 and '58 Ford, and yes, those Turnpike Cruiser cars with the tach on one side and the seat controls (?!) on the other?

Other quirky items such as the "magnifying" glass for the odometers on cars like the mid-50s Pontiacs, and I believe the funky gear selector indicator that glowed on the '54 (or was if '55) Oldsmobiles, and the as-gaudy on the inside as on the outside (and loving every square inch of it) '58 Oldsmobiles, make me wonder...

...when is somebody going to put together a "just dashes" book?

You guys are a bunch of loosers!!!! :D

Now this is a dashboard........ my 1915 IHC MW

Just dash and BOARD! None of that other junk :cool:

post-54359-143138157615_thumb.jpg

Guest DeSoto Frank

My favorite instrument panels:

'60-'62 Chrysler

'55-'56 De Soto (great "gull-wing" design!)

'28-'29 Model A Ford (elegant in its simplicity & symetry)

'28-'29 Chevrolet

'34 Packard

'37 Zephyr

'41-'42 Chrysler (beautiful marbled plastic ! )

The Cord & Duesenberg panels are great too...

The 60-62 Chrysler is a classic and I also remember being captivated by a 58 Pontiac dash when I was kid. The Stude Hawk GT's from 61-64 was the one that reminded me of an airplane cockpit back then as my uncle had a 63. When the 69 Pontiac GP came out I thought they did a copy of the Gran Turisimo. Friends of mine in grade school had a 59 Jaguar mk1V saloon that we occasionally got a ride in and I will never forget that huge slab of burled walnut with all the (Smiths?) gauges in it.

Guest Gary Hearn

I like the one in my '64 Avanti. Someone pointed out they like the Studebaker Gran Turismo dashes, I find that they are too wide and the wheel blocks the clock and tachometer. Everything on the Avanti is front and center.

Reedsville2007072.jpg

I'm not sure what car had the first plastic dash, but the ABS Vacuum form shown below allowed Studebaker to turn their normal 55 dash into something unique for the low production 1955 Studebaker Speedsters without a lot of extra tooling. The machine turned dash, the factory Stewart Warner gages and the toggle switches and the absence of a glove box make an arrangement that is pretty clean.

Bill

- 1955 Studebaker Speedster

SpeedsterDash.jpg

56 Olds looks pretty fabulous to me, coordinated with exterior shapes! I have the dash goodies for some year of Chrysler Saratoga and would like to see what the assembled dash looked like; judging by what I have, it must have been lavish in chrome! And who that has experienced a 60/61 Chrysler at night could ever forget that one? Hmmm...wonder if someone has a night pic they could post of one...please?

1958 Pontiac, the last un-optioned Pontiac to have all the gauges ( except tach ) , oil pressure, engine temp, amp, fuel without having to pay extra for it in later years. With a layout from the jet age and very much inspired by the 1954 Bonneville show car.

Don