This should get you guys going...

Steve Moskowitz

An automaker (this is not an April Fools Joke!) in India has seriously proposed a new small car, minimalist in design and features to sell for $2,500! That's right, a modern day Model T type of car. Tata Motors Ltd. has also stated if the price creeps beyond the $2,500 stage they will not build it, it is $2,500 or nothing! Verrrrrrry interesting!

When you look at some of the ATV's they sell today they are not far off being a small car. I think they are in the $3000 to $5000 range.

I should be possible to make a small car the size of a Smart car or one of the old micro cars, King Midget type to sell for $2500 if you don't have to worry about the safety and pollution laws we have.

In Japan they make such cars. Through some quirk in the laws 600cc and smaller cars are exempt from certain licensing requirements - I'm a little fuzzy on the details. But I know they make them thru some legal loophole.

Matt, I realize that but with a board meeting coming up in just two weeks I would THINK our esteemed editor would be on his best behavior. I actually threw up an Ephus(sp) pitch and expected him and others to wiff!

Guys, let's not cross a line here as we are dangerously close, if we have not already gone over a line. Something tells me we have.

Guest aussie610

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve Moskowitz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Matt, I realize that but with a board meeting coming up in just two weeks I would THINK our esteemed editor would be on his best behavior. </div></div>

Maybe he doesnt really want the job smile.gif.

Cant see what is wrong with a joke though, good to see the human side of the posters and position holders.

Yes, it has probably already crossed a line.... laugh.gif

I'd rather they just remanufacture original style Model T's at the original price. I would be glad to buy one or two. Heck, I would probably pay $2,500 for a new Model T. grin.gif... and they can call it whatever they want to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrpushbutton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and if they can find a way to import these tin cans to the US there will be people who will buy them! </div></div>

One has to wonder how a vehicle at such a low price could pass all the safety and emissions requirements needed to be sold in this country??

Then again, with the US dollar's decreased value against many foreign currencies is it $2,500 or closer to $3,500-$4,000?

BTW, will Tatas come with dual front airbags?? smile.gif

What about optional side airbags?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: charlier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW, will Tatas come with dual front airbags?? smile.gif

What about optional side airbags? </div></div>

I am also wondering if it would still fit in my garage when it's cold outside? blush.gif

Do you think Victoria's secret will carry car covers?? laugh.gif

Will they float??? eek.gif

Guest aussie610

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jay Wolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> laws agains just leave those out. </div></div>

Yeah its called littering

I have lived in India. A $2500 car is entirely conceivable. Of course, you may have to modify your definition of "car". Those 3 wheeled 'Bumble Bees" were ubiquitous in 1970 and I see they are still clogging the streets today. Remind me sometime to tell you about my 47 mile ride down thru the foothills of the Himalayas from 6000 ft to sea level in a '60's Plymouth with no brakes whatsoever and with the engine turned off for at least 45 of those miles.

Today's car prices are totally inflated anyway. Why is it that other merchandise, such as computers and other electronics have come way down in price while cars have only gone way up. Today's entry level econoboxes start at about $15k. Microwave ovens and tube televisions used to be a major purchase, my microwave cost $20 at Sears and a 27" TV can be bought for about $100.

A decent car can be a year's salary for some people. Henry Ford would not be happy. I think a $2,500 car today might be a little optimistic, but a decent car for $10k shouldn't be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: charlier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

What about optional side airbags?

</div></div>

That's a visual I could have lived without. crazy.gif

Bring back Dagmars! Bring back Dagmars! Bring back Dagmars! Bring back Dagmars! Bring back Dagmars! Bring back Dagmars! Bring back Dagmars!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: novaman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What joke?? grin.gifgrin.gif </div></div>

I don't have a clue. My Saturn may be on its last legs, and my son has just become of driving age. Since those Tatas will be so affordable, all I was trying to say is that I'd like to get a pair before dealers inflate them.

What's so funny about that? confused.gif

Danger Danger Will Robinson! It will be a cheap piece of crap, look, Detroit cant even pull out any decent car for less that a million dollars! All of the cars these days are plastic pieces of junk with bad quality and high prices and bumpers made of plastic! And terrible styling! And I thought the gremlin was bad! (sorry gremlin guys!)

Back to Tatas for a minute.

I have been in India and everyone drives Tatas. They are a large Indian manufacturing consortium. Their cars are not bad, roomy but small because of the lack of space and millions of people over there.

Whats better are the Russian Lexus clones, now that is comfort.

You dont see American cars or Trucks at all over there.

I bought a Honda 600 new, actually I ended up rebuilding them as a sideline and probably bought and sold 30 or 40 of them. They were a pretty good car. They weren't freeway flyers, but would cruise at 55 all day. You had too keep an eye on the oil level and change the timing chains. My brother also had a Subaru 360. It was best for surface streets only. It was a ball to drive, though. Silly ladybug styling with it's red paint (sorry Micro Museum, they came in more colors than one per model), suicide doors and that cool ring ding ding exhaust note. Girls thought it was cute. It was.