All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. I am checking the pulse of the Brit enthusiasts on the west side of the pond and wondering if anyone reading here has heard of seen any Alvis projects hiding that may soon be available? Al
  3. History is good, I am just not that good of a researcher! I wonder what the last year was that a Locomobile was in the Presidents "Stable". Al
  4. How much different are the electronics than any other replacement HEI unit? Looks pretty normal to me. NTX5467
  5. I am not surprised it sold so quick. They are good cars and this one must have been pretty to get his asking price!
  6. This was interesting- I'm used to Buicks and have not seen one of these clutch Z-bar linkages before. The holes were worn out and new ones ez to find. Not as weird as my 65 GS or 65 Wildcat forks (cast iron) but very different from the 400/455 style in the Buick.
  7. Engine came out...not bad since it has no options. I'll take it to get blasted then repair floor pan. Seriously, from a carb rebuild and brake job to this - my Buicks are starting a Me Too movement.
  8. I believe the brass fitting with the wiring harness is a temperature switch to turn on the electric fan in front of the ac condenser. In traffic, with not a lot of air flow through the condenser, the temperature of the refrigerant will begin to climb and at a certain set point, the switch will close and turn on the fan providing additional air flow across the ac condenser lowering the refrigerant temperature and providing ampule cooling for inside the vehicle. I cannot answer why the replacement part is different and no provision to install the switch. The switch is isolated from the "pressure" of the system and only needs to sense the temperature, if you can tap a hole without drilling too deep or weakening the area, this might work. I would think MB would have a factory solution to relocate or replace the temperature switch with maybe a high pressure switch instead. But I do not know for sure, maybe another person here does.
  9. https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1851643265307466/?ref=browse_tab
  10. The closest I can think of are clamp-on fog light brackets. Like these: New Pair Vintage Style Fog Light Brackets Lamp Clamp On Bumper Mount, Painted | eBay. Not exactly the same thing but a great start for fabrication. Nathan
  11. Today
  12. Thank you for your help, do you know the best place to try and sell it at?
  13. As I stated awhile back the car needed a new spring. After doing a lot of research on the right spring since there is several spring loads and leaves to choose from. I found them on the internet and not too expensive, but shipping was pricey and probably an import spring. I decided to call a local spring shop with the specs I found and they actually had one in stock. It was cheaper than buying one and having it shipped. This one looked like it's been in the shop corner for awhile and the best part it's an American made spring. Plus a 1 year warranty. $245 out the door. The work doesn't stop, but the list is getting shorter.
  14. The VIN plate on the dash MUST read 34467. If it doesn't, car isn't a 442 unless someone made a really good fake. You might find a different number on its underhood data plate; that discrepancy is well known and documented on 68-69 cars. Look on the engine between intake manifold and water pump. A correct 1969 400ci engine will have a "G" cast into that area. To verify if car has the original engine, there's a machined pad at left front of the block, just beneath the cylinder head. 68-later Olds V8 engines have a VIN derivative stamped into the pad. If it matches the dash VIN, original engine. Joe Padavano has a good picture of this. Car should have "C" casting cylinder heads. If you find "D" castings on a numbers matching block you possibly have a W30. 442 will have boxed rear axle lower control arms and rear sway bar. These were optional on other Cutlass series. Depending on the assembly plant the underhood data plate can tell you a lot. However if the car was built in the Fremont CA assembly plant the data plate has a lot of arcane numerical codes that are tied to the car's build sheet and job order. The other plants are easy to decode. Others will be able to add more.
  15. Watching your progress Edwin... You're doing a great job with the Victoria Brougham!
  16. The oldest car I see in those pictures was the orange early 30's Pickup driving in the center of the picture. probably a Resto-Mod. Second oldest was the blue 66 VW Beetle, slightly modified. Interesting, but no real old restored stuff. Car shows are mostly that way now. But better than staying home and watching football. When I show up they think mine is a custom car too, unless I take the unrestored 35 pickup.
  17. Nice view into typical cars a college age enthusiast may be playing with today. Ralph did you happen to stop by the "Dogfather" truck? I have a hat with the exact logo and wondered if they do dog rescue or a clothing line, or ???
  18. Those mirrors were quite common on those trucks and the ones that followed from 1973-1980. The original mirrors on my dad's '68 were noted as code D29 MIRROR BELOW EYELINE JUNIOR PAINTED on the Canadian GM Historical Services Document.
  19. Almost. I have a backfire issue on acceleration to get fixed but my mechanic believes he know what is causing it. Just waiting for a space to open up in his shop to get the carb cleaned.
  20. This was an after market kit (may have been dealier installed?) that was added to the side of the car. Very nice looking but it held dirt and moisture between the wood and metal of the car which would rust the metal and rot the wood in a very few years.
  21. John, you wrote something in 2014 here at AACA with the title of Crisis in the Vintage Chevrolet Club. I'll post it and can you please tell us what has happened since then. Thank you. Posted October 1, 2014 Hello Friends, As part of a coalition of past President's and Vice President's of the Vintage Chevrolet Club of America (VCCA) I was asked to present some sad news for those who might not have heard. What we feel is a Crisis in the VCCA. After over a half century of operating under the mission of "restoration and preservation" a majority of the present Board of Directors of the club have decided to abandon the very same mission they took an oath to the membership to uphold. I would also like to ad many of these Board Members have been in the club for only a few years. We were the only Chevrolet Club was created for stock cars, and it has held reasonably close to that for more than half a century. Eight Board Members decided that the club now needs to recognize modified cars and change the identity of the club to suit their personal wants and needs, while failing to recognize that the existing 8,000 members joined for the originality aspect of the hobby. There are many Chevrolet clubs out there, some are even businesses that "pretend" to be a club. Some only cater to certain models, but they all cater to both modified and stock cars, we were unique we recognized all years and models of Chevrolet vehicles that were stock. Sure some modified cars have always shown up at our events. This has been true from the very beginning. They are normally "in the background" in some fashion -either as Display Only, or in the parking lot, or sometimes on the judging field where the judging process itself will exclude them with its results (as it was designed to do). It's not about "hating" modified cars, nor certainly not the owners of them - it is simply that modified cars are not what brings us together, really no different then AACA. We want to preserve history, or a reasonably close resemblance to history. What was it like to drive a car with skinny, bias ply tires, with mechanical brakes, sitting on itchy mohair, and 40 HP? You can't find out in a resto-mod with a chrome V8 and A/C. The VCCA has been the ONLY CLUB that is a home for the preservers of the historical Chevrolet. As has been said, there are hundreds of alternatives for the owners of "personalized" cars to find fellowship. But again, the VCCA is the ONLY place for those of us who love the correctly restored or preserved vehicle. Why would we throw away that unique identity? as I have heard from several other members: "I have a hot rod at home. I didn't join the VCCA for my hot rod - I joined for my correct, original car." After seeing the Hemming's headline a week or two ago "VCCA Welcomes Modified Chevrolets..." Myself and the other retired Executive Board Members were contacted by many members voicing their concerns, after contacting each other we decided to ban together and organize this fight for the restoration for the preservation of the VCCA. We have to push back, try to fight this opening of Pandora's Box. (I know, it's been slightly open for decades, but this is really taking off the lid). We're not trying to be negative towards folks with modified cars. We have a driver participation class for the somewhat modified vehicles, and almost anything can go on a VCCA Tour. But please, not on the cover of the G&D our monthly magazine. We are simply trying to draw a line, protect the integrity of the G&D, and establish once and for all that the VCCA is a club that is primarily about stick, original vehicles. Like it has always been. Our coalition has spanned twenty seven years of management of the club, and has a very good working knowledge of the by-laws. There is a provision that allows the membership to challenge and overturn an action by the Board, that is through a petition. Our first big push was to get the Petition sent out to all the VCCA Regions, This has been done, and now we have to make sure this gets in the hands of the members who are not in regions. If you are in the VCCA and like things the way they were then please click on the link below and that will take you to the VCCA Forum where you can find the petition. If you are not in the VCCA and know someone who is please let them know.We already have a couple hundred signatures before we truly even launched the effort, but we need many hundreds more to make this a reality. Hope to get a few hundred at Hershey, too. Many of our members will have the Petition at their spaces At this time space RNI 82-86 more location to come http://vcca.org/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/318838/Petition_to_remove_Modified's#Post318838 Thanks for your support - John Mahoney Past National Vice President Vintage Chevrolet Club of America
  22. I removed and repaired my '64 Riviera back in the early 1990s and it still looks very good. I used a non-adhesive (cohesive) wiring harness tape from the Chrysler guys at Year One:https://www.yearone.com/Product/chrysler-b-body/hwrap2#prettyPhoto When I unwrapped the harnesses I paid attention to the factory method. I followed it faithfully. To make it easier I made this simple jig to hook the terminal blocks on. This allowed me to keep tension on the branches of wires with one hand while I wrapped them. Maybe later today I can get a piece of harness in the jig for a demonstration. I had to order the purple #12 wire for the starter and paint the Apple Green temperature sensor with Krylon. It came out great.
  23. Hello all So I'm looking at what on the outside is a decent looking '69 442 convertible, and as someone that isn't a big Olds guy (I'm more familiar with Ford's, Pontiac, Dodge), I'm wondering if anyone could provide some advice on what to look out for, what are red flags, just anything that would be useful as from my research, these models are both popular, and easily fakeable.
  24. Wood on these wasn't structural, right? Just applique like, say, a Country Squire? Seldom seen. I like it.
  25. I'm almost positive that my '69 had those style mirrors on the truck.....when the truck is outside in the sun light and if you look at an angle, you can see where the mounting locations were in both doors - previous owner must of fill in the holes prior to painting it.
  1. Load more activity