Who Doesn't Like Photos

JRHaelig

This left front tire would hold air for 10 minutes and was leaking at the valve stem - not the tire itself.   We could air it up to 30 psi and have time to move the car around before it went flat.  They had done such a good job with how the cords were laid out that even though most of the rubber had fallen out,  the tire was still functional.  

2127673426_2015-06-0816_04_05.thumb.jpg.3f00d8d91aab0cee09009698583069a4.jpg

1701331623_2015-06-0813_59_37.thumb.jpg.689641e41d6bb21956d5e4df3eaf6fc9.jpg

1476226787_2015-06-2115_21_30.thumb.jpg.14fab5188dae772a180ced352f404dac.jpg

• Like 10

On 10/8/2018 at 12:30 PM, Morgan Wright said:

I have one of them engine turned thingies but it's plumb wore out:

dash.jpg

This dash panel doesn't look rusty as much as the lacquer or other clear coat has weathered from UV exposure.  It would be a pain in the drain to remove the panel and clean it up, but if you ever get around to replacing the 1941 speedometer with the 1940 speedometer, you might be impressed at how good you could make it look.

I saved the dial from the 1940 speedometer in case I wanted everything to be "correct" and change the face of the 1941-47 speedometer, but I decided to leave it alone and leave it together, taking it apart is just asking for trouble. These things are so finicky, it might start squeeking or something. Right now it works fine and that's good enough for me.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:59 AM, Morgan Wright said:

Besides, now my car goes 120.

My 1941 was doing the 120 mph routine too. I have since changed the speedometer

cable to a new one. Initially it was also jumping around but after some serious driving

I can now get up to 60 without it going wacky. That's good enough for me until my

buddy gives me the spare speedometer head he has in his attic. That may cure

my odometer problem.

15 minutes ago, Roadmaster71 said:

My 1941 was doing the 120 mph routine too. I have since changed the speedometer

cable to a new one. Initially it was also jumping around but after some serious driving

I can now get up to 60 without it going wacky. That's good enough for me until my

buddy gives me the spare speedometer head he has in his attic. That may cure

my odometer problem.

It's usually the cable head where it attaches to the back of the speedo. Unhook it in the back and use a gob of vaseline with graphite added. Probably 5 parts vaseline and one part graphite.

6 hours ago, Morgan Wright said:

When better police cars are built, Buick will build them.

policecars.jpg

That is a great photo. Looks like the Department was trying to get maximum life from its tyres. Nice pictures of all the added equipment, siren, light up top of the windscreen, search light on the RHS side, probably other stuff I missed. Great period photo.

Rodney ??????

• Like 3

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 4:45 PM, Morgan Wright said:

It's usually the cable head where it attaches to the back of the speedo. Unhook it in the back and use a gob of vaseline with graphite added. Probably 5 parts vaseline and one part graphite.

I may give that a try. I did lubricate the cable, all except the last 12 inches or so, with white grease before installing. I did this on the recommendation of a club member who is a professional mechanic from long ago. If I lube the end of the cable that enters the housing is there any chance that the lube will migrate into the head and gum up the magnets there? I have heard others express this as a concern.

30 minutes ago, Roadmaster71 said:

I may give that a try. I did lubricate the cable, all except the last 12 inches or so, with white grease before installing. I did this on the recommendation of a club member who is a professional mechanic from long ago. If I lube the end of the cable that enters the housing is there any chance that the lube will migrate into the head and gum up the magnets there? I have heard others express this as a concern.

I put gobs of lube on the end, because that's where it was squeaking. Fixed it. It can't get inside the speedometer and you have to lube there.

Use vaseline because it never dries out. White grease will dry out eventually and screw it up. When is the last time you ever heard of vaseline drying out? Never.