1948 Diamond T

Proudpop

I am in the process of restoring my granddad’s 1948 Diamond T pickup. 

I currently need a steering linkage and am interested in a parts truck. 

I could use any help and resources

docmyers@charter.net

c-231-468-9959

Goo luck with a Diamond T pickup parts unit; these are considered highly desirable (mouth watering) units by truck collectors...

Last time I tried diamondtclassics it seemed moribund, if not deceased, but I believe there's a facebook or such group ongoing that should come up on Google...

This should really be in the Commercial vehicles section here, but that section doesn't get a lot of traffic compared to here; you might put a note there to please see this post...

If nothing turns up here you might try posting on  aths and justoldtrucks; both are heavily into later stuff but some older and many DiamondT guys there...

The Antq car/trk forum on smokstak is also a good place for older stuff.

justoldtrucks has a list of obsolete/NLA  parts suppliers in their Vendors and Restoration Services section that might include a front end outfit. Google will probably bring some up.....

• Like 1

Not sure where you're located  but this unit is located  in the SW... contact me via PM for possible contact of owners info if needed .

I have no knowledge of Diamond T's so unsure of year in photo. Appears the steering wheel is still in place but cannot vouch for the remaining steering section.

Dont crush me bro 4 094.JPG

Dont crush me bro 4 092.JPG

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

Diamond T didn't update their look very often. We had two post-war 1948 trucks, both modified, but with a similar look. The bigger trucks I think used the same windshield as the smaller trucks, so they tend to look chopped, which is part of the appeal.

007.thumb.jpg.edbe0d767f949640d5afc53e97e0e124.jpg 007.thumb.JPG.b69556cc5482f5b229622b5a93fecab6.JPG

The rollback was flat-out the most amazing vehicle we've ever had of any kind, bar none (and sold for BIG money):

• Like 2

• 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...

They are Diamond T's though.  Even in larger truck configuration,  I wouldn't completely discount their value until you researched it.  They are fairly sought after and very likely candidates for a cummins swap or even complete chassis swap. Value is going to depend on any rust out and how dented up anything is.  The one looks very straight.  

On a side note, does anyone know if there is a difference in Diamond T truck cabs on Pickups and larger trucks or are they all the same?  If so is the rest of the sheetmetal the same? I've noticed Diamond T pickups seem very Husky, that's why I'm curious. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

Clubs are always your best resource for help in the hobby. It is worth the cost of membership from just the marketing side.

Here is where the big truck enthusiasts are: https://www.antiquetruckclub.org/

The is even a Diamond T in their cover picture. Their national meet is great. We had one in Syracuse a few years back.

17 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

On a side note, does anyone know if there is a difference in Diamond T truck cabs on Pickups and larger trucks or are they all the same?  If so is the rest of the sheetmetal the same? I've noticed Diamond T pickups seem very Husky, that's why I'm curious. 

Depending on the year, some of the larger Diamond-T's used an International K-series cab.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)

W

21 hours ago, JP Gabriel said:

Trying to get a sense of what these trucks would be worth unrestored.  They were our farm trucks when I was a kid in Montana.

Diamond T 509, Diamond T 404, 1950 Ford F3 Pickup

Diamond T's.jpg

When I was 13, I learned to drive on a Diamond T like the ones in the picture (same patina, too!). I was lucky: I was too small to lift the hay bails. The local farmers rented a bailer and paid by the bail. They always went for large bails to save money, and I couldn't lift them. So I got to drive. The hardest part was to learn to use engine braking going down hills. I thought I had to release the clutch and rely on the brakes. With steep hills and nearly full loads of hay, that didn't work. I remember we had to stop occasionally to remove hay that got wrapped around the driveshaft. The hay would wind up so tight the truck would grind to a stop.

PMH

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

On 2/20/2022 at 11:56 PM, JP Gabriel said:

Trying to get a sense of what these trucks would be worth unrestored.  They were our farm trucks when I was a kid in Montana.

Diamond T 509, Diamond T 404, 1950 Ford F3 Pickup

Diamond T's.jpg

I've met some great people while building my Diamond T 404. Bob ( the red 201)and I cross paths often at our regional car shows. A restoration may be in my future.

JP are the trucks in that photo still available?

20230521_140401.jpg

Edited by John Gizzi (see edit history)
  • Like 1