Classic parts & cars in Spokane Wa to be crushed soon

ChazA

https://spokane.craigslist.org/pts/d/classic-auto-parts-liquidation/6486175258.html  Chuck...not my CL post, but here is info:

"Many classic cars most cars are being sold by the ton $350.00 per ton and loose parts $2.00 per pound $20.00 minimum purchase sales during the week for next 2 or 3 weeks then crushed this is the last chance for these parts these vehicle's are being sold as scrap metal NO TITLES cash only all sales final and AS-IS Brian at 208-818-9106 or Chris at 208-691-1249 call or text. "

Edited by ChazA (see edit history)

I think this is a great idea.

We have discussed many times about these hoards and what is going to happen to them.

At $350 a ton these parts cars are reasonably priced and when you get it picked all you have to do is cut it up and get most of your investment back in weight.

I am sure that in the three week window they will be lucky to sell even half of them.

If they could have had a few months, say thru the summer a lot of guys could get in there and buy their parts by the pound. Very reasonable.

I am glad to see an effort made to get some of this stuff into the hands of those that can use it.

The guy tells us his phone numbers in the video.

• Like 1

Spokane isn't all that far from me , and there are a few I would consider saving . But without a title they cannot leave the U.S. Washington State is one of the States where paperwork problems are extremely difficult to resolve.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

As Bill Harmatuk posted:  "What a shame".  I guess the best use for the property is another Walmart or something similar.:(

There is a lot of old MOPAR sheet metal there that may interest the MOPAR folks.  I noticed toward the end of the video that the videographer "panned over" and mentioned a retractable hard top.  Someone should be interested in that one for parts, if nothing else.

Cheers,

Grog

The convert he fussed about having "no rot" as he pointed to the qtr, was a rare 67 Pontiac 2+2 428 conv, 1 of a handful,

w/8 lug aluminum drums--i didnt see if 4 speed

hope someone sees it

im in oHIo. We used to have yards like that around here, 

looks like it stopped taking cars in early 70s..

The Spokane area of Washington state isn't like the western part of the state. Not nearly as wet.

Although pretty wet as the snow melts.

I don't follow the price of scrap, but wouldn't $600 be a pretty good deal on some of those cars for parts? If you got a core motor, a core tranny and a rear end and still have the body to pick thru.

Sure, some of those probably aren't worth the trouble. But I still like the idea that they are offered.

33 minutes ago, Restorer32 said:

Greed at its worst. Sell them for $350/ ton or scrap for $35/ton. Why not sell for $100/ton or even $70/ton? Fools.

They might get more response if they lowered the price per pound. (like I stated earlier, I don't follow the price of scrap metals).

But, None of us like to work for free.

However, I suspect that if there is a butt for the seat the difference between $35 and $350 would be mute.

I don't see myself heading up there for either price as my place has to many parts cars sitting around as it is.

Now a retractable parts car would probably be worth $600 if complete to someone that is restoring or even maintaining one, I spotted about a 62 Imperial in there that I might spring 600 for if it were easy and local.

I think there might be some deals to be made there.

Now if the average age of those cars were 30, 40 or 50 years older ...???

20 hours ago, 46 woodie said:

Wet climate, no glass in the cars, could mean lots of rot. Probably parts cars at best.

Actually the Spokane area is quite dry ,nearly desert, Seattle on the other hand is in a rain forest. 

Greg in Canada....the same rain forest as Seattle , just 2 hours North

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I know the photographer is walking through snow with a handheld camcorder but, dang, all the bouncing and swinging around made me dizzy.  Anyway, nothing old enough to interest me but I agree it's a shame to crush them.  Just curious - what's the convert at 4:29?

Edited by CHuDWah (see edit history)

Lots of weather misinformation, lets at least get it right. Spokane get about 17" of rain a year, which makes it as dry as LA. It's not as dry as the central part of the state, parts of which only get about 3'' a year, but by most standards it's dry. It does get snow and, they have used salt for years, so some care advised. Seattle is not a rain forest! Protected by the rain shadow of the Olympic Mountains the city gets 37" a years, and with the mild climate, salt was never used, that is up until the last for or five years when politicians decided that it was necessary, if there was even the threat of black ice conditions. For you Canadians Seattle is climate wise about in the middle between the harsh extreme of Vancouver, with the Fraser River outflow, and the milder Victoria, which is protected by the Olympics.

The whole of the area is affected by micro climes, caused by proximity to water and mountains. The weather differences that thirty miles can make, can be just staggering. Phew! got that off my chest. Upshot is that this is a better place to get a car then about 3/4 of the country.

• Like 1

Spokane? Salt? Probably now, but I would bet those cars were all in the junkyard before the salt arrived. In the 80s, it was comical how little Spokane did to the roads. Sand was the usual treatment for a slippery road in Washington. Not Spokane. A plow or sand truck was a rare sight in the city. The freezing fog would move in in the morning, and I would slide down the South Hill on the black ice. Maybe by the afternoon it would melt. :lol:

By the way, those cars are not in Spokane, they are in Hayden, Idaho more or less. I saw that junkyard along Idaho 95 when driving north from Coeur d'Alene. IIRC it is actually north of Hayden, but before you get to Athol. Hayden is fairly close to Spokane and the climate is about the same, dry. They do get snow.

9 hours ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

Lots of weather misinformation, lets at least get it right. Spokane get about 17" of rain a year, which makes it as dry as LA. It's not as dry as the central part of the state, parts of which only get about 3'' a year, but by most standards it's dry. It does get snow and, they have used salt for years, so some care advised. Seattle is not a rain forest! Protected by the rain shadow of the Olympic Mountains the city gets 37" a years, and with the mild climate, salt was never used, that is up until the last for or five years when politicians decided that it was necessary, if there was even the threat of black ice conditions. For you Canadians Seattle is climate wise about in the middle between the harsh extreme of Vancouver, with the Fraser River outflow, and the milder Victoria, which is protected by the Olympics.

The whole of the area is affected by micro climes, caused by proximity to water and mountains. The weather differences that thirty miles can make, can be just staggering. Phew! got that off my chest. Upshot is that this is a better place to get a car then about 3/4 of the country.

Sorry Bill , didn't mean to spread misinformation. I thought Seattle enjoyed much the same wetness as I do just to the North. Anytime I am there things seem just as wet as back home. You are definitely right about the microclimates,a few miles can make a real difference. Where I live in the Fraser Valley the stores do a booming business in rubber boots.

Greg

As with all these hoards of garden-variety heaps slowly rotting into the ground, the cars are just sitting there waiting--if you're unhappy about their fate, go save them! They're right there! A few hundred bucks for a car that should/could be saved sounds reasonable to me. Go get one! Let's save them all!

No?

I believe that it used to be called Pegasus. Some years ago, the most recent owners purchased the yard, and tried to sell parts on line. There are defiantly cars there worth saving, but with the hobby the way it is today, few are going to find a new home. Sad to say, they lost out on any chance for success twenty five years ago.

17 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

OK, Let's  pretend this yard is a mile down the road from were you live, list TWO cars you would drag out of there in the hopes of flipping them for a profit? Time and gas to the nearest scrap yard is part of your projected total loss. Bob 

Flipping has been a thing of the past for quite some time.

I was thinking more along the lines that one may have needs for some of this.