Used car prices

Wheelmang

Trying to assist someone in the greater Kansas City area looking for a reliable daily driver. It has been a long time since I purchased a used daily use vehicle. I know this is an antique car forum but are prices really that high for used cars? Example - 6 K for a 10 year old 200,000 + miles Chevy? I would like to find a 10 - 20 year old anything, low mileage "great aunt drove it to church until she died" car for them. Please PM me if you think you may have something. 

Thanks

Paul

I am finding the same thing on prices in Southern California unless you go for the 'less desired' cars in the area. It has something to do with the price of new cars these days being at 25,000 and above. Needless to say, I am still looking.

• 4 weeks later...

missed a gorgeous 1989 1 owner wagon about 3 months ago- had around 80k miles on it and everything including AC worked perfectly. owner wtd 2k for it and I waited too long. they are still out there.

was listed on CL in Allentown PA

garage kept and mint.

• 2 weeks later...

Check the N.A.D.A. book in your local library:

There are editions for various regions of the country,

so prices should be accurate for your area.

The book shows, as I recall, "average retail",

"average wholesale", and "average loan" values,

and has price adjustments based on mileage and

major options.

N.A.D.A. has a presence on the internet, but I think that

unless you are a subscriber, you'll see only the retail values.

And, I suggest, don't bother with Kelly Blue Book.  Their

prices aren't accurate.  They list average ASKING prices for

used cars, which may be $2000 higher than N.A.D.A.

You need average SELLING prices.  And Kelly's wholesale prices

are much too low.  That's why used car dealers frequently can

advertise, "We're selling far below Kelly Blue Book!"

You can get the figures on the Internet.  I just did it this morning.  I was checking the price of a '39 Limited.  If you can believe NADA, the car is offered at a lot more than the value.  By the time you painted it and rechromed the bumpers and guards you'd be over-valued by $30-40,000.  I don't put much credence in NADA and the dealers put none.  Still it is a guide.  Ha, but I threw all of that to the wind with my 41 Roadmaster.  For a long time restorer and show winner person, buying an original car is quite a letdown, no matter how good it has survived.

Everyone wants a cheap low miles used car.  But supply and demand dictates everything.  Historically,  the cheapest low mileage cars were the "grandpa/grandma" cars that young people would rather not be caught dead in.  In the 80s and 90s that would be a used town car,  or in the 200s a Buick sedan.  

In the north east,  you can buy a 10 year old 80k mile Toyota Tacoma 4x4 for 15k,  or you can pay 25k for a brand new one.

1 hour ago, Dynaflash8 said:

If you can believe NADA, the car is offered at a lot more than the value.  ... I don't put much credence in NADA... 

Mr. Wheelmang is looking for a regular used car,

so the N.A.D.A. pricing is different from antique-car pricing.

As for antique cars and N.A.D.A., they print a book

in addition to their website.  You can find the book

in the AACA Library, and it tells more than I've seen mentioned

on the website.  For example, the preface to their book

acknowledges that NADA's antique-car prices are higher

than other price guides' prices;  but they state that their

pricing is for ALL-ORIGINAL cars in the various conditions.

The 0 percent probably actually drove the price up,  as they could sell the car for more because the payment could stay the same with you paying less in interest but more for the car.  

I know prices have gotten ridiculous.  I bought a brand new 2005 Ford F350 Crew Cab diesel Dually 4 wheel drive fully loaded Lariat including the moonroof and all in August of 2004.  I ordered it from Ford.  My Mom was a Ford Employee at the time so. I got it for about 40,000 out the door with her employee discount. That was only 10G more than they wanted for 5 year old trucks needing new tires with 50KMI on them.    The sticker on the truck when it came in on the carrier was about 49,000.  That same truck Today I believe is near if not over 70,000.  Mom doesn't work at Ford any more,  but even if she did,  I can't justify spending that kind of money on a truck.  I actually sold it 5 or 6 years after that when I replaced it with a stripped diesel work truck with 100KMI on it.  The 05 was too nice to Work.  It spent all the time in the garage and only got wet when it went to Hershey.  LOL

I decided I'll spend my extra money on old cars and a better garage, rather than a new truck. 

• Like 1

The late model used car market in general has been crazy for the last 5-7 years or so.  I used to be a wholesaler and am in frequent contact with people who still are. The 2007 market adjustment really started it all.  Many new car dealerships were closed and the owners turned their businesses into 100% late model used car dealers instead.  Many small towns that used to have Chevrolet/Ford/Chrysler no longer have new car dealerships at all.  Those establishments are still selling just as many vehicles as ever, they are all late model used cars now instead.  They suck up all the good wholesale cars they can.

Other factors like Hurricane Harvey and stricter new car financing requirements also contribute to it.

The only way to really get a decently priced used car right now is by private seller.   Even then, prices can still be high.   0% on a new car (if you qualify) has never been a better idea for a person wanting a newer vehicle.  Personally, I’ll keep my 2002 daily driver as long as I can.

Look at the retirement homes bulletin board. They sell the cars after they move in..

Or look for a Buick park avenue or a Cadillac. They may cost more to repair. Most people do not want them..  You can find a 10 year old car with only 62K miles on it..

I had a Buick park avenue and a  Cadillac . both had only 53K to 58K miles on them.. 

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 1/13/2018 at 6:55 PM, ghostymosty said:

I am finding the same thing on prices in Southern California unless you go for the 'less desired' cars in the area. It has something to do with the price of new cars these days being at 25,000 and above. Needless to say, I am still looking.

My auto insurance company might be to blame they refuse to cover my older trucks for my business .Tell me I need newer ones or they will cancel my policy so I keep buying newer trucks.-- kyle  

You just have to look for the deals - they are out there. We found a 2001 Tahoe 2 years ago for our grandson (whose university is 270 miles from here) with only 37,xxx miles for a very modest price, and shortly afterward found a 2004 Tahoe LT with all the options an XM Radio for our daughter for half the price of the 2001. She drives up and back to her son's school when he performs in concerts. They are both great drivers, and all I've done is to replace aging tires with new Michelins on both of them

I just sold one of our undamaged and excellent driving cars and cleared a very modest price 3 days ago - the white 1994 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham with the LT-1 driveline and 132,xxx miles, plus an almost unused set of Kumko 90K-mile tires.

I bought the car from the original owner in 2004, and it had never been damaged and never had any rust except for the battery tray. The rearmost lower stainless trim pieces were bent when the original (older) tires went through belt separation just after we bought the car, but were still in the trunk and repairable. Maybe a year before putting the  Caddy up for sale we had replaced the radiator, alternator, water pump, In-Tank fuel pump, coolant overflow tank, shock absorbers, battery, and serpentine belt. The automatic temp A/C worked perfectly, but the original AM/FM/Cassette was "iffy", likely due to a loose connection. The blue leather interior had more seat adjustments, inflators, and heaters than I could figure out, but had a worn spot on the driver's seatback, and the padded dash had several heat cracks. Everything but the radio worked as expected.

Obviously I spent more on repairs and maintenance than we realized by the sale, but I figured it was a fair and modest price, and we had thirteen years of pleasure from it, and the new owners most certainly shold, as well..

Could I have held out for some rediculous price from a Low-Rider type? Probably, but this solid, great driving will hopefully live on with an owner who really appreciates this type of car.

We still have the gold 1995 Fleetwood Brougham to enjoy, and had 5 new Michelins installed since the prior Goodyears were more than 6 years old, and we expect to be able to use it going cross-country to judge at more AACA Meets since these big RWD LT-1 Caddys are fantastic drivers and still make 25 mpg, but with the Limited Slip rear (Posi-Traction by a different name), we can still make most custom-modified imports feel inadequate when the traffic light turns green and they stare at the dual black strips on the pavement and the taillights fading into the distance. 

On 3/1/2018 at 1:37 AM, nick8086 said:

Look at the retirement homes bulletin board. They sell the cars after they move in..

That is a great idea. My son in law is a pastor so they are frequent visitors to retirement homes. 

Thanks 

000H.jpg.311a636f430c81cbff1b43bc8baa2e7f.jpg

I will sell you this car right now for $12,000. 1995 Pontiac Formula. Bulletproof LT1 V8, 6-speed manual, loaded with most options including A/C and power everything, plus T-tops. 37,990 original miles. Never hit, wrecked, raced, or modified except air filter, shifter knob, and mufflers. Everything works. Literally bought as a collector car and driven as one from Day One. I'd be shocked it if has ever seen more than 4000 RPM. It's only on its second set of tires. One owner, clean CarFAX. The biggest bang for the buck in the known universe. Ready to go. Twelve grand.  Info: http://www.harwoodmotors.com/vehicles/inventory_details.php?id=800

007.JPG.8b099931f8926f07f432b64c622ded31.JPG 005.JPG.49194ae2c78de44d0ca0bd691cf0e6c8.JPG 042.JPG.bce2abb577f05dae9e38592ce1a827b4.JPG 044.JPG.75d02448d2fd2f69532f611fc4ec82fc.JPG

046.JPG.3806a3e76caaa98cd0ec482be4b95bf7.JPG 071.JPG.2592983abf981bcaf0636dc507defe0f.JPG 074.JPG.5ff11d7b940b7dee6916fdd5a9614571.JPG 079.jpg.fe128e309ae63d4d02fc721b3d15a99f.jpg

I also have a very similar WS6 Ram Air car, 1996 model year, 26,546 miles, equally clean, same colors, same options, that I would sell for $17,000. Info: http://www.harwoodmotors.com/vehicles/inventory_details.php?id=813

001.jpg.1b52046a7107fc977f2c2a819f620434.jpg

I have this 2001 Mercedes SLK320 for $8900. Info: http://www.harwoodmotors.com/vehicles/inventory_details.php?id=730

001.JPG.70b80ccb20867dde9e8dc894691df44b.JPG

And my personal 2004 Audi allroad, which I've owned since it was two years old. New engine 15,000 miles ago, complements of State Farm. Everything works, extensive service records, new tires, upgraded air springs, 2 sets of wheels and tires (good winter tires included). Still drives better than my 2012 Cadillac CTS wagon. Only caveat is that I can never see it again--you don't want to see your old girlfriend with a new boyfriend, right? I ADORE this car, the best I've ever owned. $7900. Info: http://www.harwoodmotors.com/vehicles/inventory_details.php?id=754

001.JPG.52a3da82b9824298bf6aee35424717ae.JPG

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Most of you folks live in a different world then I do. I drive four cosmetically and mechanically near prefect, rather low mileage cars. Luckily our cars don't deteriorate as fast as they do other places, so an extra 100,000 miles doesn't make that much difference. Maybe I'm driving the less desirable cars mentioned by the gentleman from California, but I don't care they are what I like! 

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

1995 Ford Thunderbird, 86,000 miles, V8- bought Nov 2016 $1500

1996 Jaguar XJ6- 120,000 mi. Jan 2016 $2,000

1997 Ford Thunderbird 122,000 last month $1500

• 3 weeks later...

Few at 20 will pass the mandatory inspection and the friend with a station bit is not as easy as it used to be because they have clamped down on the little operators.  So now you are driving with an unispected car,  which you can't renew the registration on until it has been inspected.   Kind of sucks for people who like to keep their plates on old cars eve n though they may be dormant for more than a year.  6 months of lapse on a registration and the plate number gets recycled so you have to buy new plates. 

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 3:59 PM, Wheelmang said:

I would like to find a 10 - 20 year old anything, low mileage "great aunt drove it to church until she died" car ...

Thanks

Paul

In my experience, one usually lucks into these kind of situations. 

• 4 weeks later...

A Great Aunt would be a cousin's Grandmother. Maybe it would be easier to find a Grandmother's car. Skip those shirt tail relatives.

In that vein, I search cars on Craigslist with key words, mother, father, aunt, uncle, and some interesting stuff comes up. I do remember "Two Corvettes, belonged to my Father, no idea where the paperwork is. We had not spoken in 30 years.". There was also a Camaro in Kentucky, "not running. My Uncle was helping but he is in jail now. Motivated seller."

Search creatively, if nothing else, it is entertaining.

Bernie