Me and my beautiful 1956 Buick

Beemon

Finally got settled in at the dorm with computer and internet setup. Here are some pics of the journey.

20953055_10156464854150830_1088148694699

20914605_10156464854040830_3738133673540

20800059_10156464854230830_7039142775884

20800326_10156464854320830_8135808374946

20882641_10156464854995830_5790074268009

20841744_10156464851755830_5241314491836

20882614_10156464851975830_7150626762003

20800310_10156464852195830_1447374802443

20882227_10156464852740830_2063137519558

20881918_10156464852915830_1588545253643

20840954_10156464853730830_3309010446732

20882013_10156464853855830_5357535692077

My girlfriend thought the Antique Fruits was pretty funny. I think she said something along the lines of "who would want to eat old fruit?" oops

• Like 7

Ride was smooth. I made sure to triple lube the suspension before leaving. No squeaks except for the metal to metal trim pieces at the door jam (screws keep coming loose). I achieved approximately 17.5 MPG from Seattle to Yakima, where I refueled. When I got into town, I didn't realize how hilly the terrain was, and the car started vapor locking on me going up and down the hills after the five and a half hour drive. At one point, loss of power was so great it almost bogged going up a large grade hill and the only reason I survived was because of Low gear. Of course, all these issues went away after I unloaded the cargo and let the car sit overnight. I haven't had an issue since, though the car is running a little rich at 2500 elevation. Good thing I brought my tool box, vacuum gauges, timing light and tachometer! Also only burned through a quart of oil, but I blame the leaky rear main and probably the PCV system for that. Now that I'm here, I'm probably going to revert a lot of the stuff. I'm really finicky about this type of stuff, and should probably not listen to my father, whom goaded me into installing the alternator, Edelbrock, etc. before leaving. He was one of those guys who hot rodded in the 70s and threw out the q-jets and thermoquads and replaced them with the Carter comp series, bought the big MSD box and other go fast parts. Newer is better he says. Still not convinced.

Also tore at the WCFB today in the men's restroom here on the 11th floor with nothing but compressed air and water. Kept at it until I didn't see any more particulates. My buddy boiled water in his coffee pot for me to douse the carb with, seemed to work pretty good in the sink... resident hall advisor had walked in on us, asking what we were doing. We told him it was a science experiment and he walked off. Air horn gasket still looks good, no signs of shrinking and all the holes still line up so I sprayed it with some WD-40 to moisten it up and tightened down the screws. The floats were still ok, used a 3/16" drill bit to check float height and a 7/16" bit to check float drop. Go to reach for my WCFB gasket in my tool box and - oops! Left it at home! That's okay, after doing some research, Mr. Gasket #57 is 1 7/16" square bore, which is what I measured on the bottom of the WCFB. O'Reilly here in town has them in stock, so I'll just end up tracing out the carb base with an exacto knife and then use a hole punch for the stud holes.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Beemon said:

science experiment

Nice response.  If this is your everyday and only transportation, limit the 'experiments' to small and doable things.  My profile picture shows a cylinder head being scraped...it was installed and running to get me to class the next morning.  Another time I removed the distributor late in the evening (don't remember why) but some *&^ dumbass cranked the engine while it was out.  Then it started raining.  Finally found the compression stroke of #1 cylinder, but then  had to line up the oil pump.  Cold and wet I went to bed at 3am to get up for an exam at 6am that I should have been studying for!

• Like 1

No doubt! I'm parked on campus and we scoped out our classes. A good 15 minute walk from the dorm up hill, no parking. I think the only real driving I'll be doing is to the local Wally World and occasional barn adventure at 2 am.

By the way, the Mr. Gasket gasket is the right throttle bore, wrong spacing. So I got some gasket material. Good thing I brought my ball peen hammer. On a side note, I may have a job lined up for weekends and off days at a mom and pop auto parts store. Their old boy who knew classics quit recently and I just happen to roll into town in a 56 Buick. Bringing the car has already paid off! 

• Like 5

So looks like I left my ball peen hammer at home... good thing I brought my brass drift punch! It's a little rough around the edges... I lighty went around the edges of the carb base to get a base groove cut, and then used an exacto knife to cut out a rough edge. Still trimming, but should be good to go soon. I signed it because it's a one of a kind. :)

20915286_10156470189240830_2776932320925

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Somehow in my infinite wisdom, I have forgotten my road draft tube at home. It's being put in a box and shipped up along with all the other stuff I've forgotten... in the mean time, I don't think it would be wise to drive the car without the road draft tube, so the PCV will stay put. Maybe I shouldn't have taken it off in the first place? :unsure:

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 7:35 PM, Beemon said:

No, thankfully the walk down to the dorms from the top of campus is much more forgiving.

WSU is great for building up those calf muscles!  :>)

Which dorm are you in?  I was over there on the 14th as my daughter is a senior at Kentwood now and is looking at different colleges. 

I'm in Stephenson East Tower. It's on the edge of campus. Its a Freshman and Transfer student dorm, so despite being a Junior, I still get the short end of the stick. It's been pretty quiet, though, for a freshman dorm.

I graduated in 2010 from Kent-Meridian so I'm no stranger to the area. It's been a long road, and WSU has always been my goal. I feel it better suits me than paying "premium" for UW or the lesser of the two giants, CWU. I do not recommend Green River CC, though, if community college is on the table. I got locked in there for 7 years thrown through many unnecessary ropes and once you start, the only way out is an associates degree.

Warmed the Buick up tonight for a late night trip to Taco Bell. Already making terrible life choices here! The road out towards that side of town gets pretty close to Greek Row, and of course being one of the nations top party schools and a 3-day weekend, there were many night walkers out tonight. Car is running good, a poor boy in his mid 90s Lexus didn't stand a chance. Kind of sad, really.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I took inventory today, looks like I'm missing the carb stud for the WCFB, too, and one screw for the wiper motor... road draft tube is in the mail, but it's a spare - not sure what happened to the original one, or the carb stud, but if I were a betting man, I'd say it was in plain sight where I left it at home and my sister is just blind. Good thing there's an ACE Hardware in town, should have just left everything alone.

9 minutes ago, Beemon said:

I took inventory today, looks like I'm missing the carb stud for the WCFB, too, and one screw for the wiper motor... road draft tube is in the mail, but it's a spare - not sure what happened to the original one, or the carb stud, but if I were a betting man, I'd say it was in plain sight where I left it at home and my sister is just blind. Good thing there's an ACE Hardware in town, should have just left everything alone.

Alternately, you can leave it alone now if it is running well:).

• Haha 1

Just now, old-tank said:

Alternately, you can leave it alone now if it is running well:).

I've developed a vacuum leak somewhere, and I'm thinking it's coming from the washer jar, so I at least need to go to ACE for the motor mount bolts. Everything else seems to be fine, though. The PCV system was giving me hard starting issues, so I removed that as well in anticipation for the road draft tube coming in. With the road draft tube, I need to remove the late distributor and put the early one back in... with the early distributor, the vacuum line to the advance won't mate to the carburetor... it's a cascade effect lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't expect anyone to know what Destiny 2 is, but before I starred my mechanic skills, I was pretty good at my thumb skills. Drove out to Moscow last night amid wildfires and took these photos. Most everyone is wearing respirators today. I just taped a double folded wet wash cloth over my mouth, seems to be working fine. Our air quality is regarded as "hazardous".

20170905_211548.jpg

20170905_211437.jpg

Ya Ben.

Not sure there is an appropriate symbol to give you for the pics (or situation) but know this, my sister lives near Gatlinburg, Tn and last year called me when the fires raged there! 

She sent me video and pictures of the fires advancing over the mountain across the Valley where she lives from her phone. They had three vehicles packed up and ready to go if things got closer but here is the thing. The power had gone out earlier and they had no notice of their situation until the distant sky lit up! 

My point is this, keep safe young man!

Luck was with my sister as the wind shifted and the rain started which stopped the advance....  

• Like 2

Thanks guys! No immediate danger here except air quality, though the other night the horizon was a hue of orange from the distant Idaho fires. 

Yesterday I swapped pretty much everything back over to stock. My air cleaner stud came out nice after an hour of on off filing. I promised the car I would leave her as she is, so really if you see me past something like "I'm thinking about doing this" please stop me. I might not listen, but please try to talk me down! 

On a side note, I put the distributor in 180 out after I lined up the mark on the harmonic balancer. Turns out there's two marks. >:( I had security check up on me in the parking lot because I had choice words and they thought I needed a tow. "No sir, I'll be here until she runs again." I only found out I was 180 out after I did a full inspection diagnoses of the ignition system. 

And of course after this, the fuse on the starter relay blew and welded the points together. After beating the casing with a screw driver, it finally unstuck. So that's my next project. It's too bad you can't find quality replacements anywhere. 

20170906_154552.jpg

• Thanks 1

About that road draft tube. I think that you mean the vent pipe that goes down the back of the engine from behind the carb?

If so, here's the story about my '56 Roadmaster. Being a California car, it had a retrofitted PCV system installed in the 70's, which I had left alone for many years, till it started to give trouble.

I put a new valve in but for some reason the fit was different, and I had to make a shim to get it to fit well. Of course it still really wasn't right, and I advertised here to buy a correct vent pipe. I think that it was Lamar who came to my rescue. Now the car had been using oil, maybe a quart every 500-800 miles, I had thought that it was just leaky rings, but after I got the proper vent tube on, and the retro fit stuff off, oil consumption dropped to about a 1/4 that. Correct internal ventilation was now happening. I did not realize how much the previous gadget was messing it up.

I'm enjoying your adventures with your Buick! Keep them coming.

Keith

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Buicknutty said:

About that road draft tube. I think that you mean the vent pipe that goes down the back of the engine from behind the carb?

If so, here's the story about my '56 Roadmaster. Being a California car, it had a retrofitted PCV system installed in the 70's, which I had left alone for many years, till it started to give trouble.

I put a new valve in but for some reason the fit was different, and I had to make a shim to get it to fit well. Of course it still really wasn't right, and I advertised here to buy a correct vent pipe. I think that it was Lamar who came to my rescue. Now the car had been using oil, maybe a quart every 500-800 miles, I had thought that it was just leaky rings, but after I got the proper vent tube on, and the retro fit stuff off, oil consumption dropped to about a 1/4 that. Correct internal ventilation was now happening. I did not realize how much the previous gadget was messing it up.

I'm enjoying your adventures with your Buick! Keep them coming.

Keith

Do you still have the original setup? I'd be interested to know how it hooked up to an intake source.

Also, not really related to my Buick, but here's a picture of the sun today:

21366741_10156537900215830_3002264425816

Edited by Beemon (see edit history)

I do not believe I have it any more, but it was quite simple. A spacer was used under the carb which had an outlet then a rubber pipe went to a fitting that plugged into the outlet where the vent pipe was. That fitting became the most problematic, and it was a friction fit into the lifter gallery cover. So, since my car is stock, and I intend to keep it that way, I decided to return it to the factory setup.

Keith

• Like 1

Alright guys, I pulled apart the starter relay today to check the points. They were badly arced, so I have them a good filing... didn't help. I traced the source I think to the solenoid on the starter. After confirming the switch was ground, and got the starter running on the car by itself, I unhooked the battery wire from the switch and no change. This tells me the battery feed isn't the issue. Next I unhooked the switch wire and no change. This tells me voltage from the battery isn't back feeding from the switch. Lastly, I removed the starter wire from the switch and it died. Tapping the starter wire to the relay with the key on caused the points to open and close (without starting the car), so the relay is good. I have thus concluded it must be the solenoid. After cycling the starter by turning over with the carb and removing the starter wire from the relay, it finally must have broke contact on the solenoid because I have not been able to reproduce these conditions. Also, these tests were done with the coil wire removed so the engine never started, to avoid damaging the starter. To get down and dirty, if it pops up again, I'll have to remove my starter shield and I'm feeling a bit lazy right now without my 2 ton shop jack (only brought a scissor jack with me). Will continue to monitor, but I think I might be in the clear. This only occurred after the fuse on the relay blew, which I'm sure caused the arc. I have substituted a bolt for now...

20170909_111132.jpg

20170909_111156.jpg

20170909_111324.jpg

Just now, KongaMan said:

I wouldn't advocate going under the car with either a scissors jack or a 2-ton hydraulic jack.  I hope you have some good jackstands...

No not with me, hence why I didn't go under... I may be young and dumb, but I'm not that dumb.

• Haha 1

Formula SAE is a yearly competition between universities to build a race car out of a 700cc or less engine, to compete in different trials. It's sponsored by the Society of American Engineers. Seems to be going pretty well, but our pad of $5000 that was supposed to be here this year I guess was squandered by the financial advisor last year and we were only left with $1000 or so. We're in some bad trouble, considering they blew the engine last year and they'd rather get a new one than rebuild the old one. Not really sure where we're going, because drive and development days are quickly diminishing as we get further into fall and competition is usually around March, just a month or two after the snow melts.

Today was a great day - I finally got a road draft tube!

21728264_10156562729315830_909161262214321731221_10156562729375830_5099512088671

21762130_10156562729555830_311349714101021740557_10156562729625830_2764141302373

21740423_10156562729240830_1778032221615

It was in pretty rough shape, so I straightened it as best as I possibly could with what I have here. It'll serve it's purpose until I go home for the holidays and find my original one. Being out in the country, the AM radio stations are pretty limited to sports and Christian news - neither of which really interest me... I am blessed that there is at least one radio station out here that plays Classic Rock.

On another note, the last friday of August there was this drive-in at the local Wal-Mart. Only two guys there, I guess they try their hardest to get people to show up. Anyways, the old boy there said if I needed any help, to give him a ring. Since it's dropping to 38 tonight, I felt it was probably a good idea to get the water out of the engine. All petcocks open and 45 minutes later, we poured 4.5 gallons of coolant back into the engine. I replaced the thermostat with a 180 (I have no idea what was originally in there). The gasket I used was pretty cool, too. I don't know who made it, but it had an adhesive on side I used to attach it to the outlet neck. No sealer on the gasket and leak free! Blew me away, usually there's a small leak for me when I use RTV. Anyways, car's running great now and we're back to stock (with the 58 glass bowl, of course). Car's running great, now I just need to cruise past the sorority houses on a Saturday night... :ph34r:

21667768_129570657677824_1111261172239171584_n.mp4

• Like 1

Yes sir, we may be out in the middle of nowhere, but we are with moral compass. After talking to local government on the phone, they said there's no EPA regulation and that the scrubbers in the sewage plant are more than capable of filtering the coolant. I was instructed to dump it down the toilet.... but I took it to the landfill instead, where they recycled it. 

• Like 3

Just now, EmTee said:

...by flushing it down their toilet!  :lol:

Maybe... but at least it won't come back on me. lol the local parts guys here were scratching their head over this because apparently no one has ever asked. Kind of interesting, but I guess at a college town no one really doesn't their own car work. I have seen a late 60s Ford pickup and a late 60s early 70s Chebby station wagon hot rod. Aside from that, everything else around here is electronic.

kinda unrelated, but I got some looks yesterday because the road draft tube was venting at idle. I'm avoiding a compression check because I don't want to disappoint myself! I want to say my other engine puffed like a steam train, but we know how that one ended.. It's not a lot, nothing in comparison to Nailhead 1 (RIP). When I make it big, I'll sleeve that block and make it right again.

• Like 1