Me and my beautiful 1956 Buick

Beemon

The issue with exhaust manifold cracking, at least on Chevy V-8s, was that people tried to keep the retention bolts/nuts too tight that the manifold couldn't flex with hot/cold expansions.  Eventually, cracking would happen.  When they started slicing the metal between the ports on the 454s, that stopped that issue cold!  But even the stainless steel manifolds had a flex joint in them.  Pontiac and Cadillac V-8s had cracking issues, too, from "hot spots".

The manifold needs to "slide" on the cylinder head mounting surface.  Chevy used "heat washers" under the bolt heads and "French Locks" under that, to keep the bolts from backing out too much.  When people put lock washers under those bolts, rather than the thicker flat washers, that was a sure-fire way to make the manifolds crack, by observation.

Other than the VickyBlue or Borgeson upgrades, using a middle '60s+ GM 800 power steering box would be good.  Then possibly a matching pitman arm and linkage to the spindles?  These boxes are vary rebuildable and were used up into the 1990s or so.  Many racers used to use the Vega steering gear for its lighter weight and smaller size.  GM also had a really neat little gearbox on some of the later 1980s 4WD pickups (only!).  Key thing is that with all of the variations of the GM800 box, there might be one that would fit better than some of the aftermarket items and use later-model linkage.  Adding a later "street rod" steering column with electric power steering could be doable, too.

I fully understand the orientation of "keeping things original", but I ALSO know that in the middle-earlier 1950s, when that car was being designed, the vehicle engineering world was in a massive degree of "flux".  As soon as one model year's parts were designed, the better ones for the next model year's cars were being finalized.  This went on until about the 1965 model year, when so many of the "modern" systems came online and were far better than what came before them.

In many ways, Old-Tank has many of these things finessed and such that they are not the real issues they were in prior times, by observation.  But his tolerance for many of these things might not be shared by people used to "modern" vehicles.  Be that as it may.  

Point ignitions are fine as long as the breaker can is "in spec" and each of the lobes is the same as the rest of them . . . meaning that point gap will be the same for all of them, which makes the dwell reading/coil energizing-firing the same for all cylinders, as it is for an electronic system.  THEN keep point grease on the rubbing block!

The "gas pedal start" function kind of fit the character of some flamboyant Buick owners, back then.  But the GM pickups had a much simpler system, "analog".  I think I've mentioned using a THM400 kickdown switch to activate a starter relay to run the starter, much earlier-on.  Might now be some way to use voltage bias to run a "start/no-start" switch/relay arrangement.

As for "tunes", check out the Aurora Designs websight.  Add-in chips to run many things of the factory radio!  All mounted within the existing radio chassis.

What made "old cars" attractive to many was the way they feel in operation and driving.  Each GM division was a little different, but similar.  Just as Fords and Chryslers had their own unique feel, sound, sensory inputs, too.  Compared to modern vehicles where everything's been dumbed-down to be more uniform between the OEMs, with performance standards raised at the same time.

To me, there are some things on the mid-50s Buicks that seem to be waaaay over-engineered and larger than similar things on other brands of cars, BUT they still tend to have the same issues as the other cars did, from what I've observed.  Radiators is one such area, for example.  Some of these things had to do with the transition from narrow engine bays to the later wider ones, which affected how the underhood area was "packaged" with power brakes, a/c and hvac systems, etc.

FWIW, Edelbrock has a new AVS2 650 cfm elec choke carb out.  The distinction of this version is annular discharge primary venturis.  On sale at Summitt, now.

Hope you're finals go well!  How'd y'all come out on your intake manifold project?

Happy Holidays!

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NTX5467 said:

FWIW, Edelbrock has a new AVS2 650 cfm elec choke carb out.  The distinction of this version is annular discharge primary venturis.  On sale at Summitt, now.

Hope you're finals go well!  How'd y'all come out on your intake manifold project?

Willis, funny you should mention that because it's been lingering in the back of my mind ever since I found it. I know Holley and the Holley clones have had annular discharge for a while now, but it's interesting to see it in an AFB based carb. I kinda view the Edelbrock as a simple man's entry to carburetion where it's not too complicated to get right, and they end up being more economic than the street Holley's with the dual accelerator pumps. The thing I really like about the AVS2 is that the annular discharge rings are made specifically to be metered by that carb, rather than the swapping of boosters in a Holley, which means the carb is designed to handle the change in vacuum signal at the throttle plates. I figure now that the popular fuel injection kits are dropping in price, the carburetor market needs to adapt and the integrated annular booster design is getting closer to the fuel atomization capabilities of throttle body injection kits. If they could angle the venturi in such a way that it creates a vortex at the lip to pull the fuel to the edges of the bore rather than shower down on top of the plate, they would be in the money. Now they just need to refine the accelerator pump to spray a mist into the bore rather than a solid stream and it would help tremendously on part acceleration (no lean bog from the fuel hitting the plates in a glob and then forced to atomize).

Speaking of modern carbs, I've refined my modern carb ignition switch. I like your idea of using the transmission kick down solenoid as a switch, but there's no gate to stop it from kicking on every time the pedal is depressed - it needs a gate, which is what the ball bearing is as it's sucked into a little cubby with intake vacuum during operation. John really got me thinking about how to stick it behind the carb like OEM, and I started thinking of clutch linkages to reverse the lever arm. That's when it hit me. If I put a rod cut like the OEM throttle shaft on the end of a lever that is 1:1 the lever on the carb, at the rear mounted off the back studs, then it would work perfectly.

image.png.5cf8da41656b2f09192d0f4f388d9e95.png

image.thumb.png.7c5189f3ad55f009d4114785e31136fa.png

image.thumb.png.105df559f2703dd1936fad5aa5b485be.png

image.png.d3f6fd059c4de980da73032c184186ad.png

Finals are next week, with the first being at 8 AM on Tuesday. Looking hopeful, as I've finished two already this past week and the one at 8 AM is a 4.0 GPA filler class that I took to keep my financial aid. So they real fun doesn't start until Wednesday. I'm armed with energy drinks and junk food to survive this last week and then I get to see my Buick again.

Edited by Beemon (see edit history)
  • Like 2

post-81824-14313912427.jpg

I borrowed this image from VickyBlue's post because I do not have one to compare, but with the placement of the ignition coil, space for this type of conversion could possible be a little tight. Seems doable, will need some in the field research. Good thing I have some spare 4bbl intakes to test some theories out. I might run up to the local ACE and get some prototype pipe to play with. At the FSAE shop we have a ship mill that would come in handy for creating the part.

I looked into using a carb switched transmission kick down switch. To make it safe, it would need a vacuum cut out switch in series with one of the lines to break the circuit under normal driving conditions. The issue now is that during WOT the switch will be opened. On the mechanical switch, the ball cannot fall into contact with the plunger because the notch in the throttle shaft would not allow it to do so. This can be remedied with putting the vacuum switch in series with the vacuum pump on the fuel pump. This of course requires much more tinkering, and the switch for both the vacuum and kick down will run close to $100 combined. So for now, looks like mechanical is the way to go. 

Edited by Beemon (see edit history)

The annular discharge venturis were first used by Holley on their drag race oriented 750cfm 4bbls, about 30 years ago.  Not new tech by any means.  It made more power than the normal venturis, but apparently that's all they were worried about back then.  Of course, the Edelbrock vid makes it look much better, which it can be.  Seems like there was ONE brand of add-on self-learn EFI that had the injector discharge below the throttle plate?

Using the voltage bias and/or an oil pressure switch/timer could inhibit starter engagement when the engine is running.  Those inhibit situations have been in place on some vehicles for some time.  In the later '70s, oil pressure switches were used to power electric chokes on some vehicles, plus to turn off electric fuel pumps in the case of vehicle wrecks and such . . . ignition switch "on", engine stopped.  Several ways to do that starter inhibit switch.

We've had electric power steering for a good while now, OEM.  First was the Malibu re-design about 7+ years now.  Full size pickups since about 2014.  MUCH more reliable now with the earlier quirks now gone.  A much better deal than the earlier MagnaSteer power steering racks.  Using magnetic resistance for boost and "feel" so the same basic rack could be used on Corvettes and Impalas ... provided the magnets could change quick enough.

Take care,

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Sooo I finally checked on my msd distributor set up... Black  bushing..18 degrees... One heavy silver spring one light sliver spring.. If you go to their site it's the C diagram...vacuum advance is hooked up..initial I'm not quite sure about.. It's set at 28 degrees but there's no way it's actually 28 degrees.. The odd part is I figured the balancer slipped but tdc seems to line up correctly so who knows lol...

• Like 1

Balancer slipping issues as far as I know is only a problem on the 364 and up. This was after consulting with Nailhead experts, so take it as you will. Thanks for the info, though. How do you like it so far? Is that 18 degrees initial advance? Are you still running road draft tube? When I put the 57+ distributor in my 322, I had to remove the road draft tube to get the wires in the right spot. In hindsight, I could have just rotated it two slots and moved the wires appropriately, but eh.

The initial is "28" degrees.. The 18 is the mechanical advance stop.. As in it's limited to a max of 18 additional degrees via the mechanical advance...I  love  it.. Besides cost lol.. Been running it as a daily for about 5 years no issues.. Still running road draft no problems..

I don't think mine has slipped..I  just  don't know why it has to be at 28 degrees.. Nor do I believe it actually is at 28 degrees.. No starter lag etc.. But if I adjust to anything near 5 degrees it just completely falls on it's face on take off to the point you can't even drive it.. I've given up on trying to figure out that one lol.. It runs great at 28 degrees and has for years so I guess I'm good..

• Like 1

I love hardware stores. I went in expecting to buy 10 feet of 3/8" round stock and 3/8" id and 1/2" id pipe. I found in the specialty section that they had pre cut spacers in both id and found a 3/8" pin with a shoulder, as well as a new 3/8" ball bearing all for the price of 10 feet of 1/2" pipe. Just need to cut and weld and I'm in business for this starter switch idea. Not sure exactly what I will use for the arm and plate for the actual switch, but it'll probably be 1/8" flat stock.

Looking forward to making this switch. I've been driving around smelling gas, come to find it seeping from the throttle shaft on both ends. I Gave the shafts quite a jiggle and there's a lot of play. So I figure until I can professionally rebuild the carburetor and the car is of course ready to become the show queen she deserves to be, ill be playing with modern components. Which doesn't sound too bad, because I like to tinker. I just need to invest in an O2 sensor and bung to get the aftermarket carb dialed where I want it. 

20171217_210132.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dei said:

Obviously you found the clips you needed. Were they they original type or aftermarkets? 

I Got the clips from a NAPA catalog, just basic clips that worked. Better than paying $20 on the internet. they're not correct but no one will know. 

• Like 1

Any local auto body supply store will have a decent selection of trim clips.  I had to buy all new for my 58 Limited when I slapped it back together to sell.  All of the old ones were toast.  Also used mostly new ones on Lance's 57 Roadmaster.  It took a couple trips up there because I just bought a grab bag of sizes and ended up having to get more in certain sizes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's where I was going to stop next, but I figured they'd give me the mark up and realistically are probably being supplied by NAPA, as well, for a majority of the basic clips. 

We got our winter coldsnap. The roads have frost over them, so conditions are right for snow but we most likely won't get any here at home. The university is apparently buried deep right now, the snow hit the night I left. I also found out that there is a leak somewhere in the coolant system of the Jeep, and I can smell it burning off so I'm more than positive it's the heater core. To make a long story short, unless the coolant system can be fixed by January 7th, I'll be driving back in the old iron. I don't want to risk blowing a head gasket due to steam pockets in the block. I don't have the money to fix the coolant issue, I definitely do not have the money to fix a blown engine. On these 2002 Jeep Liberty's, the heater core is behind the dash and requires the complete removal of the dash to get to the core. 

It kind of sucks that the only good car I own is the 60 year old one with the messed up paint and open differential. We went out today and she started right up. The heater core was so hot she almost cooked me out. I took the WCFB off again and looked over the throttle shafts. All my old carbs weep from every corner and smell like gas whenever I turned the car off. The intake has this dirty brown fuel stain, too. Kind of a shame, but I'll be using the Edelbrock until I can afford a carb restoration that oversizes the throttle shaft bores and installs bushings or something. Maybe I'm looking too far into it, but the Edelbrock gives a much better vacuum signal and the rough rumble is gone, indicating that the idle quality is much better. I understand these old carbs are calibrated for a leak around the shaft, but the shaft play is excessive and worn. The 4GC is pretty bullet proof on the shafts, but it leaks from the plugs so its a loose loose. If only I could use the base of the 4GC on a WCFB.. haha. Anyways I like to drive my car and I'm not going to any big shows soon, and my car will never be original when I replace the steering box so I'm practically eliminated from any type of potential concourse unless I drive the car with dysfunctional worn parts, so why not do with it as I please? 

20171221_093322.jpg

20171221_093332.jpg

• Like 4

Oh yeah definitely less problems but you don't get the same look as the original carb. I would like to some day to machine a new rack and pinion gear for the steering box and restore the carburetor to reliability (remember, not only do you have to bush the throttle shafts, but we're constantly reminded the idle tubes must be enlarged to recalibrate the carb for modern fuels,  not to mention a lack of affordable tuning options post idle).

I'm terms of modern carburetors, on the Edelbrock from 650CFM and below the primary plates are the same size as the smaller carbs but the secondaries are larger, so despite the adapter plate changing the flow characteristic into the plenum, the flow restriction is on the secondary side only. So you can really benefit from the modern calibrations and that's probably why there is widespread reports for increased fuel economy with a modern carb. The only issue is that you have to detune the secondary side, assuming primary side is okay outside the box. 

It sure would be nice if someone made an AFB base intake for the 322 that isn't a dual quad manifold.  ?

(  Find spare 322 4bbl intake.  Chuck it in lathe.  Cut carb base mounting pad down.  Install studs.  Fabricate WCFB/4GC plate.  Fabricate Edlebrock AFB 650cfm/Holley squarebore plate./  Install base on cut-down carb pad of 322 4bbl intake as needed.  Can also be used to block the heat track.  Paint to match intake!  )

NTX54687

If you dudes that think you will have less issues with the clone would ever return either the Rochester 4-GC or the Carter WCFB to original specs; you would then throw rocks at the clone.

Often, a comparison is made with an original with 200k miles to a new shiny clone.

The clone may actually perform better in this comparison. But if you restore the original the way the Carter/Rochester/Buick engineers designed it; then the clone wins only in "shiny". Virtually impossible to tune out the secondary hesitation when using the clone on a Buick. The attack angle on the auxiliary air valve is too steep. Again, simply look at how the originals were engineered. If I had a dollar for every customer with a clone on a Buick or Pontiac who called with a secondary hesitation; I could buy Hawaii and retire! ;)

My 2 cents.

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, carbking said:

Often, a comparison is made with an original with 200k miles to a new shiny clone.

Yes this is it exactly, and I understand what I'm comparing. I like the look of the Carter WCFB much better than the look of the Carter AFB and clones. However, as you've said in the past, re calibrating the carburetor for modern fuels requires precise machining, which is something that is more expensive than just slapping a $100 rebuild kit in there. I've found a few places local that could bush the throttle shafts, but no one to re-drill and plug the fuel passages, or drill out the idle and transition circuits to be calibrated for modern fuels. I am sure a 100% fully restored original carburetor would be flawless with leaded gasoline from 1956, but without precise machining of the transition circuits, it won't run as good as it should. Maybe I'm making it a bigger deal than it should, but carburetor restoration is going to the wayside very quickly, and is getting expensive pretty quick, as is expertise. The shops around here won't attempt it unless it's a late model Carter, Holley or Quadrajet.

I do not like the base Edelbrock, but the AVS could be tuned on the secondary side to eliminate a secondary bog with the variable spring loaded air valve. I do not feel a secondary bog personally with their basic 600CFM carb, but I can see why others would. Their AVS2 model even has annular discharge boosters, which puts it above any carb that doesn't.

Every thing I have mailed to be restored by a shop has come back garbage, and I have been burned at just about every corner of my "restoration" from engine to steering box. So for me, I would rather run an Edelbrock carb than send my carb out to some shop on the other side of the country and have it come back with just a kit installed. I mean if you (Jon) were still doing restorations, it would be a no brainer. But that's just where I stand. I've made the concious decision where if I cannot find a local shop, it is not worth the risk and money. If there was an AACA or BCA vendor that did full restorations and a re calibration that isn't just idle circuits, then I would try to find them. But my steering box and pump was also through an AACA vendor and I'm pretty much burned on anything internet related.

• Like 2

1956322 - I have no experience with the afore-mentioned Holley, therefore, I can post no opinion specifically on this unit. I have found that, unless an engine is modified, very difficult to improve on original equipment on vehicles produced after about 1950. This is not always true on pre-WWII vehicles, as the database of knowledge on mechanical devices was increasing daily in the earlier years. If an engine is modified, then the modifier becomes the engineer, and is responsible for the results. Think about the "Law of Unintended Consequences". It truly is real.

Ben - sorry that you are having bad experiences with restorers. There are truly a lot of talented individuals in our hobby, and a few whose talents seem to be advertising and taking one's money for less than professional work. Sorry you are finding too many of these.

I honestly do not know to whom you could send the WCFB. Bob Kunz (St. Louis) and I (central Missouri) did lots of WCFBs for years. Bob has offered his shop for sale, and I am unaware if he is still doing carburetors. If so, I believe you would like his product.

Cliff Ruggles (Cliff's High Performance, Ohio) specializes in Q-Jets, but also sometimes does other Rochesters, and you might coerce him into doing your WCFB. But Cliff has quite a backlog.

Classic Carburetors in Phoenix is very good on older single-barrel and two-barrel carbs, but don't think they will do any four-barrels. Not sure.

We (The Carburetor Shop) quit restoring carburetors approximately 6 years ago, simply because of the high demand for our made-in-the-USA major rebuilding kits. At this time, I do not foresee us getting back into carburetor restoration. But always willing to try to help with answers.

Jon.

A few things to consider with aftermarket four-barrel carburetors:

(1) Carter produced 216 different type WCFB carburetors

(2) Carter additionally produced 505 different type AFB carburetors

(3) Rochester produced at least 212 different type 4-GC carbs (might be a couple more, my Rochester files are not quite as complete as my Carter files).

SOME of the difference in models WAS due to new engineering knowledge, but for the most part, different models were necessary to obtain the best from varying applications.

When Carter started producing aftermarket AFB's in 1969, the first group consisted of 5 models which were intended for racing applications.

About 1973, Carter started producing high performance STREET carburetors, (PRIMARILY FOR SMALL BLOCK CHEVROLET!). Why only for Chevrolet small blocks? Carter already offered performance street carburetors for Buick (dual quads, and also 625 quads), Cadillac (625 CFM), big block Chevrolet (dual quads, and 625 and 750 CFM singles), Chrysler (dual 625's, dual 750's, single 625s and 750s), Pontiac (dual 625's, 700's, 750's, and single 625s, 700s, 750s, and 950s), etc. But the factory small block Chevrolet high performance went to Holley in 1966. Yes, I am aware that the 9626s was offered for Chrysler Products, and the 9627s was offered for Ford products; but these were basically the 9625s (Chevrolet) with the appropriate throttle arm for the Chrysler or Ford applications.

So how many DIFFERENT clone (and other) aftermarket carburetor models are produced, and for exactly what application are they calibrated?

Think about it!

EDIT: Ben mentioned recalibration because of the ethanol fuel. This issue DOES present a challenge, but not a difficult one, just one that requires more research (and more cost). When Carter was still producing carburetors, Carter offered factory-engineered recalibration kits for various carburetors in: (1) 1 size lean, (2) 2 sizes lean, (3) rarely, 3 sizes lean, and (4) even more rarely, 1 size RICH. True, Carter did not offer these recalibration kits for all of their carburetors; but did offer enough to spend some time and develop what I call "percentage change equations" which can be successful applied to carburetors for which there was no factory kit. Due to many enthusiasts living in Colorado, I developed these percentage change equations for 1 size lean and 2 sizes lean years ago, and since I have custody of the Carter prototyping metering rod lathe, have offered these conversions for years. So why did Carter offer the rich calibration? Export. At one time, gasoline in various areas of the world was not the same quality as in the USA. That characteristic is now history!!! But we can use the original engineering data to make a really good SWAG at recalibration on other carbs.

Ben also mentioned the clone AVS. Carter also made type AVS carbs. Chevrolet tried it in 1966 and obsoleted it in 1967!!! Chrysler used it from 1968 to 1971 in order to pass new Federal smog emission legislation. When the new TQ became available, Chrysler obsoleted the AVS. On paper, Carter offered the AVS as an aftermarket unit in 1973, but in 46 years, I have yet to actually see one! They simply did not sell. Yes, the air-valve spring was used successfully on hundreds of Q-Jets, and thermoquads BUT; look at the number of different choke pull offs with different vacuum orifices (air valve timing) and air valve plate characteristics (air flow direction) were used on these.

We have really "progressed", unfortunately, to the "one size fits all, works well on nothing, but is dirt-cheap" philosophy.

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Today was our first snow. My girlfriend let her sister drive her car, and that usually never goes well. She ended up rolling her front passenger rim up over the curb and nearly split it in two, one turn from my house. I told them they weren't to drive the car until a new rim is procured, it was a miracle that it was still holding air. It even split the tire at the break in the rim. In any case, I still had to get her sister home. So, my only two options were to drive a vintage Buick in an inch of snow or a modern Jeep with no coolant..

26036583_10156888520165830_457656990_o.j

This was the beginning of our adventure, or about 30 minutes before. The snow accumulation was quick and unexpected.

26030859_1679789492080621_63558658_n.jpg26030759_1679789472080623_2045720068_n.j

Snow was definitely sticking to the ground, but it wasn't too bad. The only tires I could buy for the car were M+S SUV tires over the counter. I guess it paid off?

26037182_1679789458747291_378824682_o.jp

After I dropped off her sister, I had to get myself a cheeseburger so I casually whipped the Buick sideways into a parking spot. It's not very often I can put the old iron sideways.

25626007_10156888823335830_7581913244951

And this is right after we got back. I had to hand push the Jeep through 1 inch of snow so she could park the car behind it. They were scared, but I wasn't. Kind of reminded me of that scene from Star Wars where they rescue Princess Leia from the Death Star and she says to Han Solo "You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought." It's good practice for when I go back to Pullman, considering the Jeep won't be fixed anytime soon and I'm not privy to running the risk of blowing the block.

• Like 4

Starting the New Year off. I'm trying to do mostly cosmetic upgrades this year. A gentleman locally was selling these hubcaps for $100. They're the best condition I've seen locally and he lived within 10 minutes of me. OfferUp truly is a great thing because I have never seen spinner caps as good as these go for so little! The centers are solid and still vibrantly red. Minor pitting on the spinner, but they look good for a driver. one cap has a scratch on the top by the spinner but it's not bad. Other than that, it's got the usual dings around the retaining lip but no road rash at all. Now I need to buy myself some curb feelers! 

20180102_202532.jpg

20180102_202921.jpg

20180102_203018.jpg

20180102_203029.jpg

• Like 11

Starting the year off strong.. The fuel pump I got from the big K blew the main diaphragm five months back and I salvaged it luckily from my original pump. Today I lost fuel pressure because the pulsator diaphragm bolt was over tightened and it finally wormed its way out of the damaged threads just enough to spray fuel everywhere. I had to go and get a longer bolt and re-tap the threads to go deeper into the pocket. I used a felt washer as both a positive seal and a crush washer so the new bolt wasn't over torqued. Kinda wish they came out of the box with excellent quality but I guess that's too much to ask. The burn list continues to grow.

Thankfully I did this without removing the pump and we're back on the road. All is well again. I kept smelling gas coming from somewhere, too. I'm just glad it blew in the driveway and didn't start a fire.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Beemon said:

Thankfully I did this without removing the pump and we're back on the road. All is well again. I kept smelling gas coming from somewhere, too. I'm just glad it blew in the driveway and didn't start a fire.

Good thing you are so adept at this stuff!  If it were many other folks, that car might be spending the next 6 months at the local garage while they searched for the computer port to get the readout on what was wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, BuickBob49 said:

It looks like you really scored on the hubcaps.  I recall hearing from my mechanic that the ones with the horizontal bars are for Roadmasters.

They're also for 55s. I know they're not correct but I like them. A lot better than my previous set, that's for sure! 

• Like 2