1979 Lincoln Town Car

victorialynn2

Hi guys, I've got another car for you... This Lincoln is in really nice shape as far as the interior and body. I didn't take a picture of the trunk, but it's very clean. It has a little over 60K miles and from the paperwork and condition, it looks to be original miles. Multiple mechanics I've had look at it think so as well. I am going to clean it up and put it up for sale. I will get pics of the engine and trunk as well. The fuel lines need to be replaced because they are brittle. It will need some work to get running because it's been sitting.

I've looked up the NADA value and was wondering if someone could identify the trim package by this door tag? (Collector or Designer Series). If you want to throw in an opinion of value, feel free to do so as well. Any info you'all have is welcome. It's located about 90 minutes west of Austin, Tx.

Thanks, ~Victoria 

File_000_(14).jpeg

IMG_4534.JPG

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Designer Series is for the Mark V only. There were only 2 special editions for the Continental. Collector Series and Williamsburg Edition. This car is not either. However, this one does have the Town Car trim and interior upgrade. Town Car was a trim package in these years, not a model.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, intimeold said:

Just add a few friends and get on an interstate; and let the 460 run.  

I have 2 Lincolns from this era.  They are indeed excellent

road cars, and Victoria Lynn's example looks beautiful.

The 1979, however, came only with the 400-cubic-inch engine

for economy;  the 460 was not available.  The 460 is well suited

to the car, but the 400 is less so.  "Most 400-equipped Continentals

put in about 100,000 hard-stressed miles and die, while more than

a few 460's have logged 200,000-300,000 miles and are still

going strong," wrote a well respected author in Old Cars Price Guide.

Victoria Lynn, I'd estimate $5000 to 6000 if the car was running well;

maybe $3500 to 4000 if it needs work.  There are many, many

of these cars on the market--dozens at any given time.

They were billed as "the last of the luxury cars," as other

luxury cars were smaller by 1979, so a large number of 

1977-79 Lincolns, especially the 1979's, were saved.

Therefore, there are a very large number still around with

very low mileage and in excellent condition.  

More so than with other cars, low mileage affects perceived value.

You can look at Ebay's prices realized for an idea of value,

but pay no attention to asking prices.

Your car is a perfect example of "affordable fun" in the hobby.

What other beautiful luxury cars can you get for $5000?

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

The 1979, however, came only with the 400-cubic-inch engine

for economy;  the 460 was not available.  The 460 is well suited

to the car, but the 400 is less so.  "Most 400-equipped Continentals

put in about 100,000 hard-stressed miles and die, while more than

a few 460's have logged 200,000-300,000 miles and are still

going strong," wrote a well respected author in Old Cars Price Guide.

I disagree. The 400 is a fine engine. I have had a few Lincolns with the 400, and a few with the 460. The only thing the 460 does is use more gas. It runs a little smoother, but also a lot hotter. But there is no noticeable difference in performance if you have a good running 400. My 400's were running strong with about 140,000 miles when I got rid of them. I have no idea why the 400 gets such a bad rep. I think people just like saying they have the 460.

The rest I can agree with.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, LINC400 said:

I disagree. The 400 is a fine engine. I have had a few Lincolns with the 400, and a few with the 460. The only thing the 460 does is use more gas. It runs a little smoother, but also a lot hotter. But there is no noticeable difference in performance if you have a good running 400. My 400's were running strong with about 140,000 miles when I got rid of them. I have no idea why the 400 gets such a bad rep. I think people just like saying they have the 460.

The rest I can agree with.

The 400 got its bad rap when it replaced the 390 which was a much better engine and which unfortunately would not adapt to the pollution requirements.

• Like 1

My  1979 Lincoln Collector Series Town Car  Has 2 0ptions: CB Radio  and  THERMOMETER in L door mirror

P1020022.JPG

15 hours ago, LINC400 said:

Designer Series is for the Mark V only. There were only 2 special editions for the Continental. Collector Series and Williamsburg Edition. This car is not either. However, this one does have the Town Car trim and interior upgrade. Town Car was a trim package in these years, not a model.

Thanks for the info!

1 hour ago, Willie Wurke said:

My  1979 Lincoln Collector Series Town Car  Has 2 0ptions: CB Radio  and  THERMOMETER in L door mirror

P1020022.JPG

Nice car. I will have to look for the thermometer. Mine has the CB. I believe those wheels are an upgrade also. At least according to my research. Mine has them as well.

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)

Hi , Bill ! , Yes , great looking car. To me the blackwalls really add to the formidable appearance , particularly a dark car with those wheels. Hey , Bill , it has been too long since we have talked. I will send you a PM. I hope you are well , and driving your magnificent cars.  - Carl

What really lets these cars down are those ghastly 5-mph bumpers that stick out like an afterthought with the hardly upscale poor-fitting plastic filler trim between the body.  And the interior was compromised with acres of FAKE plastic 'wood' trim.  Hardly befitting of what is supposed to be a 'luxury' car. 

Give me a 1967 Lincoln any day, but If it really has to be from 1979, go across the pond to Australia and buy a Ford LTD P6 Town Car.  (Google it!)  NO big ugly bumpers, and real wood inside!

Craig

On 11/28/2016 at 8:28 PM, Willie Wurke said:

Mine has the thermometer also. What makes it the Collector series?

19 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

Mine has the thermometer also. What makes it the Collector series?

The Collector's Series was the 1979 Lincoln's top-end trim level.

It was available in the Mark V and the Continental sedan in order to

commemorate the passing of the large luxury car.  It was available

in only dark blue or in white (I think a small number were made in

light blue), and it had a "Collector's Series" name plate on the 

exterior, behind the rear quarter window.  It had extra luxury touches.

By the way, a frequent mistake is for people to think their Lincoln

is a Cartier model, one of the Designers' Series.  All Lincolns had a

plastic Cartier clock in the dashboard, but the actual Cartier edition was

available only in the Mark V and only in a specific color combination.

It, too, had extra luxury touches.

Lincoln did an excellent job of marketing their 1977-79 cars,

with various special editions and a vast array of possible color combinations

on the ordinary models.  They sold very well.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On ‎30‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 9:17 PM, John_S_in_Penna said:

Those Lincoln sedans are

well styled and attractive, as much with 4 doors as with 2.

Of the 1970 thru 1979 years, go for a 1970 or '71. 

Much better engine performance than later years, and front & rear bumpers that looked like they belong there.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)

1 minute ago, Digger914 said:

I see the big Linc has the vacuum leak, up here in the rust belt it's usually the tin can, southern cars usually a dry cracked line. The faster the headlight doors open after you turn the car off the easier it is to find.

Can you explain this in English for the "not a car" girl? ;)

The headlight doors are vacuum operated and the vacuum canister was made out of a #10 tin can. Northern cars the cans rust and leak, southern cars the vacuum line gets hard from heat. When you start the car the headlight doors will close if the system is mostly intact, but they won't stay closed for any length of time when the car isn't running. A good tight system and the headlight doors will stay closed for a week, a bad leak and they won't close or they are fully open in minutes after turning the engine off.

Very easy to fix.

• Like 1

Just now, Digger914 said:

The headlight doors are vacuum operated and the vacuum canister was made out of a #10 tin can. Northern cars the cans rust and leak, southern cars the vacuum line gets hard from heat. When you start the car the headlight doors will close if the system is mostly intact, but they won't stay closed for any length of time when the car isn't running. A good tight system and the headlight doors will stay closed for a week, a bad leak and they won't close or they are fully open in minutes after turning the engine off.

Very easy to fix.

Thanks for the explanation. I haven't got her started yet. Just bought a battery and the mechanic is going to check her out. What's the fix?

Interesting thought. Of all my cars I only have one chrome bumper and it is in the back.

Camaros had electric doors (RS model) in 67 but would jam with snow/ice and burn the motors out. 68 went to vacuum because it does not care if they jam.

Note: for safety reasons, the default is open on failure.

On a no-rust car, I would check all of the hoses and fittings for loose, cracked, or leaking fittings/switches. A Mityvac will help in finding.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

Thanks for the explanation. I haven't got her started yet. Just bought a battery and the mechanic is going to check her out. What's the fix?

Perfectly normal for the headlight doors to be open if the car hasn't been started for months and it would be a problem if they weren't. Start the car and see if they work like they should.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

The fix is to find the leak and repair it. Could be a rusty vacuum tank (looks like a tomato juice can painted black). Could be a rubber vacuum hose the size of a pencil, dried out hardened and cracked or just pulled loose. Could be a failed diaphragm in the vacuum motor. Bad control switch etc.

Doors should close when you start the engine, if the system is sealed perfect like new will stay closed for a week. If there is a leak they will open when you shut off the engine, how fast they open tells how big the leak is.

• Like 1