What did you do to your classic today?

Guest Guest

New master cyl in the Amphicar along with some sound deadening material that FINALLY cured the fan noise problem they have. I can now hear people talking to me while underway in the water!

Setup the diff in the '59 Skyliner, replaced the horn and preparing to install seatbelts so the kids can ride with us in the carseats. Added a signal viewer and now have original washer system working!

We took the kiddos out for a swim in the Amphi. The girls (5 & 7) love to sit on my lap and "drive" while in the water. Nobody else to hit and boy do they love hitting the big waves and hamming it up for the people with cameras! :)

Installed the garage done refurbished rocker arms on the 37 and have it sounding like a sewing machine instead of the rattling it made before,probably will have to send the other set out and have professionally rebuilt but will see how it does as I will be driving it to the wendsday cruise night. Had to adjust the valves while the motor was running to get them the best,tried to adjust with it shut off but always had a few that were too loose.

Ran some more tests on the 37 since the rocker arms did not fix the rattle,with the plug wire of #2 removed the noise goes away and since it rattles when warmed up and not cold I am thinking its the rod bearing. Its going to be thicker oil for now and drive it locally while I decide what to do,leaning towards going all the way to the dark side and installing a 401 or 425 Buick nailhead. I dont have time right now or space in the garage to pull the motor and fix it so if I do anything quickly it will be to find a good used 235 or 261 and put it in so I can try to make Flint in july.

Yesterday was just beautiful here so I drove all three of my cars. I cleaned up the interior of the 28 PIERCE ARROW, WHICH IS FOR SALE, took some new photos which I will post in the For Sale forum, washed it and covered it back up. I'm taking the 63 Starfire in tomorrow for some A/C service, getting it ready for the hot weather just around the corner.

Guest 4 bufords

took my 62 invicta vert out for the first time with the rebuilt carb,car ran like crap.pulled the carb off and found a spring missing.got the carb back together but no time to put it back on the car today.4 bufords from ct

Saturday April 16, 2011

My brother and I just spent 8 hrs today hanging the fenders so we could line them up with the new running boards I had made to drill the holes in them before I send them off with the neighbor to have them powder coated. smile.png

We had a set back getting to drilling the holes because one fender was giving us a ruff time since the mounting holes on the main body are off the mark frown.png. We will have to do some modification to the fender in order to get all the holes to line up. mad.png

post-31137-143138514024_thumb.jpg

Guest maudsley

Today I put the distributor in and adjusted the valves on the truck. The motor recently came back from this winter's overhaul. Set of Mains, 1 rod, rings, timing gear, flywheel and valves. New wiring harness while I was at it. Front end and rad still on the floor, and all the lights need to be soldered. So much less work to take apart! But with the garage warming up easier now that spring might really be here, I should move along faster than cold oil.

Guest bofusmosby

Sunday, I gave my car a good washing, and then dried it off. After it sat for several hours (to finish drying), I put the cover on it. Right now, it has to sit out in the elements because I am in the process of rebuilding my 95 year old garage. Its in really bad shape, and I'd hate to see it come down on the old car. Even though I really haven't touched the car in months, this is a job I am doing FOR the car. Its always something.....

Took the Vette out last night for the first time all winter. Started right up (well, not RIGHT up as those of you with carbs and mechanical fuel pumps know)! Drove the Mrs. down to local Ford dealer for a test drive in a new Fusion Hybrid.

I turned down their offer of an even exchange.....

Guest maudsley

Really nice day here in MA. got rear end lights all wired and soldered and put back on, got mechanical brake switch installed, wired horn after fighting with steering wheel, front fenders and radiator put on and bolted down. Tomorrow, front end lights, gauges back on, and who knows, I might get the rebuilt 207 in the 33 Chevy Master 1 1/2 ton Truck fired up for the first time. Big Blue Smoke sometimes makes you happy!

Fitted nicely-made repro boot to the '70 ("boot" in this case = canvas cover for folded-down convertible top... Antique British car people use that term for some other part of their car, I think???), sourced from a California company that was recommended by some knowledgeable fellow old-VW people. The white piping really makes it pop! Gotta get going doing something about those seats pretty soon...

799586.jpg

Edited by stock_steve (see edit history)

Did a compression test on the 37 as it still has a little occasional pop out the exhaust but 150 psi on all six so not a bad valve,I was thinking a weak valve spring might have caused a valve to burn but they are ok. Going to change the intake since its a 57 235 and the 57 intake was designed for the motor to sit lower in the rear and its flat in the 37 chassis and makes the carb lean towards the front,will get a heat kit when I change the intake as it wont run good when its very cold untill its completely warmed up. This motor has never ran right since I got it on the road 11 years ago and its time it does.

Pulled the pitted chrome off the 60 Corvetteand sent to the chrome shop. Ordered parts for my 55 Chevy bought new by the family. Fitted the red oak in the bed of the 49 Dodge. Sorted out a wiring problem on a friends 37 Olds project. Then fixed the headlight switch on the 67 Cad convert and drove to town in my 41 Cadillac to pick up parts for the 67 Skylark, then headed back to see if I could find a source for the sidemount mirror style I want for the 29 Packard. And got back in time to put the 67 Corvette on the lift to check out the chassis and change the fluids. But needed to move the Jensen-Healy out of the way before I could get the 71 Mustang Mach1 off the rack so I could put the Corvette up in the air..... Still looking for the actuall SOURCE for the NEW lock rings for the 20" wheels on the Packard.......

Not just on antiques, brits call the trunk a boot, not to be confused with Canadians saying "about". :)

"Things British," with all their boots, and bonnets, etc., are certainly "in" today, judging by the number of people buzzing about the "Big Wedding" earlier today over there.

Nice job by Prince Charles and Camilla choosing the very slick vintage RR with which to make their way over to the ceremonies!

640_roll1.jpg&size=493x370

Edited by stock_steve (see edit history)

Took the 37 for a highway drive tonight and when I got back I pulled a couple plugs and its lean,I will need to try to find some jets or get some machinist drill bits and drill them myself. I think the rattle in the motor was spark knock and need to get it richer so it does not harm it.

Guest Richard D

Took out the 71 Skylark convertible, washed, waxed and put about 25 miles on it. Then put it back to bed. Washed & waxed the Reatta.:)

Worked on detailing my 66 Mustang for an upcoming show. MCA (Mustang Club of America) is hosting a National Show in Jacksonville the weekend on May 20 - 22.

Trying to decide what needs the most attention on a 13 year old restoration.

Spending time with old friends and meeting new ones is my main goal for this event.

Kevin

Well, I finally got power in my new garage, so went out tonight, turned on the lights and dusted off both of my cars. As the electrician worked around them, they had a lot of dust and shavings on them. I took the covers off because I thought I would have to park them outside while the electrician worked, but he said he'd do the front of the garage first, then I could move the cars to the front and he'd do the back of the garage. Garage is 24 x 40 so I can park our every day cars behind them.

Guest Kingoftheroad

Think I fixed the extra power antenna I have for my classic. Thanks to tips I got from fellow members....:)

Now I have to operate on my classics OEM am/fm radio.

Edited by Kingoftheroad (see edit history)

This was really last weekends project but I didn't get around to uploading the photos.

I built new low racks for the F1 last Summer. I wanted racks that gave me more visibility when driving and to see the Crosley tractor when I have it on the back. I wanted to have dark racks so they didn't draw to much attention, and away from the whole package. I started off thinking black stain but a sample board didn't do it for me. On a suggestion from a friend I tried green and liked the results. It took a couple of trips to the paint store to get the stain color mixed the way I wanted, but I liked the results.

I let them age for a year. Here is the before and after.

NewRacks-Back.jpg

FinishedRacks.jpg

Today all I got done was checking the fluid level in the tranny, I thought it sounded a little noisy when I was out for a drive yesterday.

I spent the day detailing my'66 Mustang in preparation of a Mustang Club of America National Show in Jacksonville FL in two weeks. The thirteen year old restoration takes more time to get show ready than it used to. It should be a fun weekend with lots of friends at the show.

Kevin

Guest danceswithpumps

I reintroduced my 30 Dodge DA to my grand kids. They had fun crawling inside pretending to drive her down the road. I put the battery charger on so next time they visit us we'll go for a spin.:)

Rod

20110507194943.jpg

20110507194745.jpg

Got the transmission out of the '31 so I could degrease it. Hate to work on replacing the clutch with the thing being so messy. After I clean the transmission I will have to clean the bell housing and the rest of the engine and surrounding areas. Makes me want to clean and paint all of the exposed frame area, but I just want to drive it this summer, not do a "body on" restoration. I also see that the paint that the previous owner had put on it is bubbling all over. Oh well....that will come later.

post-37352-143138535363_thumb.jpg

Still tinkering with the carb on the 37,I thought I went from a 51 jet to a 52 but it was a 62 so now wonder the plugs got black quick. I got a 55 jet from the junkyard so it went in and feels better and the plugs are going back to a tan color so I will find out wednsday how it does since I will be going to a cruise in about 10 miles away if the weather is nice.

I sandblasted and painted some exhaust / bumper components in anticipation of getting my rechromed bumper ends back in the next couple weeks. The devil is in the details, and man there are alot of devilish details in restoring the car!