Is your garage flood proof?

BlueDevil

Recently, we were unfortunate to have 6" of rain in an hour, with 3" of them in 15 minutes. It overflowed a 3' drop inlet and 2 other drains then flowed into my out door storage, which filled up with water and blew the door and water into the garage. Water was as high as 4" in the garage. I saw it happening so I rushed down and opend the garage overhead door to let the water out before it got any higher.

Fortunately, I have almost everything that matters off the floor on dollies, shelves or in plastic bins, so nothing got ruined.  I got some water in a steering box and a gearbox that was missing a drain plug and took on a little water. Another 2-3" and it would have been another story.

I don't live in a flood zone so this was a freak occurance. I recommend the next time you go in your garage ask yourself what would happen to your stuff if suddenly there were 6" of water on the floor and then go prepare. Also, make sure there are no live wires or extension cords on the floor.

Maybe I should work on the wood boat some more.flood1.jpeg.c3ff2dc1db975562f29453fa6391ada6.jpeg

flood 2.jpeg

• Like 1

Yes, mine is "flood-proof" now that I have sandbags in front of the doors - honest.

The reason it flooded in the past is because my driveway slopes down from the street and then makes a 90 degree turn right towards the garage doors - the garage(s) was an addition to the house in 1980 but poor planning (and no method of drainage) caused this problem.

• Like 1

My garage floods at least once a year with a heavy rain. I have cut a grate across the roller doors and that fails when it buckets down as the 6" pipe taking it away won't cope. I am on a hill with a camber in the road sloping towards me, the water comes from higher up the street and by the time it reaches me I get everything pouring in. I had been arguing with the council for 15 odd years to fix the issue to no avail until I "lost my lolly" and had the guy responsible for council works get here whilst the problem was still evident. Once I showed him the backyard with the septic system flooded it became a health issue and there is now storm water drainage out the front. No rain since it has been done but time will tell.

Steve

IMG_0355[1].JPG

IMG_0351[1].JPG

• Like 1

My shop sits between a large pond and the Alcovy River and since we are only a few miles from you the rain was hard and concerning. So far no floods but it is a constant worry when the storms move in.

I hope yours cleans up well with minimal damage.

Dave

• Like 2

Wow, I feel for you, I know any amount of water causes a lot of extra work. In 2022 we had catastrophic flooding here on the Northern rivers NSW Australia. Some say it was a 1in600 year flood, who really knows. At our property I would consider ourselves lucky compared to others. I had 2-3foot of water through my garage and my workshop but luckily I have a shed that is built up higher close by so the cars went there and the workshop has shelving that I was able to lift most things onto. Unfortunately the house which had never had water in it previously also had water in it by 2-3inches, as others will know it takes a long time to sort everything out and there are still things that we are sorting. Yes we are making moves towards building elsewhere on our farm to get us out of future flooding. There were others in our area that moved equipment/cars etc to where they would normally be safe only to find them fully submerged.

the shed to the right normally houses my going cars the one to the left is the workshop this phot was taken before the peak which was probably about three foot higher

IMG_3402.jpeg.f83c97cce4201a0fe0582581e77fba24.jpeg

IMG_3398.jpeg.7c59880b701b80f06beb4961b33ace6c.jpegjust another photo showing the expanse of water.

IMG_3370.jpeg.576fe346121a596fbe38e21d01f12c5b.jpegThis is from the back of the garage showing the shed that saved our cars, equipment and hay, I don’t normally like having hay and cars in the same shed but sometimes it is the best option. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Vintageben said:

In 2022 we had catastrophic flooding here on the Northern rivers NSW Australia. Some say it was a 1in600 year flood,

You just have to "love a sunburnt country, a land of drought and flooding rains" (From Dorothea Mckellar poem about Australia for the yanks). At least for the most part we don't get the rust from salted roads and the like.

I wouldn't want to live anywhere else, despite having travelled widely and trodden many foreign shores - except maybe Switzerland - somewhere just outside of Lucerne.

Steve

• Like 1

Ben,

Have you considered catfish farming? It is popular in the southern States.

Bill

• Haha 3

Yeah I definitely wouldn’t live anywhere else. Cat fish farming now there’s an idea 🧐🤣. One thing I love an about being on a farm is while the income can fluctuate I feel it is the perfect place for vintage cars, plenty of room for test drives and making noise. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I built my home and one thing Pop always preached was to not put the house too low. I have 4' of diff between the grade and my first floor. BUT, dummy me put the garage in too low. I could have easily raised it by 2 feet with no problems. My parking area and the garage floor are just a bit off of level with one another, but the parking area has good enough fall to keep the water out on all but a severe storm maybe every 5 yrs or so. The worst I had it was in the winter the slab of my drive heaved creating a lip at the entrance, thus my garage floor was actually an inch lower than the drive. We had many inches of snow that got pushed out of the way, then we had a freak rainstorm. My old shop (on the end of the garage) ended up with a couple of inches of water. That was the only time it was a 'disaster'. Now only on a very hard rain I will get a little water  under the door. My new shop is a couple of feet above grade line and hopefully will never have water infiltration.

BDevil, sorry to see that happened. Water can sure make a mess when we dont expect it.

If your drains are only thing backing up during flash storms .You can add one-way check valve in . Commonly used in sewer waste drains outside the building available 4" and maybe 6+ .In prevent backup for home close to plant elevations.The ones I saw where simple PVC glue in ..

PS.Just did ebay search  20-90$ 2-4" ( PVC Backflow Preventer) Oatley ans Canpol companies that make.

Edited by ArticiferTom
PS add (see edit history)

On 7/28/2024 at 4:45 PM, Joe Cocuzza said:

Yes, mine is "flood-proof" now that I have sandbags in front of the doors - honest.

The reason it flooded in the past is because my driveway slopes down from the street and then makes a 90 degree turn right towards the garage doors - the garage(s) was an addition to the house in 1980 but poor planning (and no method of drainage) caused this problem.

Sounds like my driveway.Every time we get a heavy rain the left side of the garage floods. I went on line and ordered a heavy duty rubber threshold for under the garage door from "garagdry".I got the 1 1/2" thick one. It seems to be working. Greg

2 hours ago, Buick35 said:

Sounds like my driveway.Every time we get a heavy rain the left side of the garage floods. I went on line and ordered a heavy duty rubber threshold for under the garage door from "garagdry".I got the 1 1/2" thick one. It seems to be working. Greg

Before putting the sandbags I tried that rubber threshold,too, and the water just went right over it and under the doors.

For those in flood prone areas, and when moving 'uphill' isn't an option, maybe consider something like this. Smaller example. Much bigger sizes are available on that internet.

flood control tubes

This example from 

https://www.garrisonflood.com/water-filled-flood-tubes#:~:text=Water Filled Flood Tubes,factories%2C events and municipal buildings.

(no affiliation or connection between me and any maker/ seller of these, or similar.)

I just think they are a possible great solution and easier than sandbags in a flooding situation that isn't fast flowing and debris laden.

I live on the highest ridge in the county and the fill is sloped away from the garage. To date I've had no issues but if that durned hurricane comes too far west it'll probably be squishy around here. Slow as it's moving I can foresee another Michael, which dumped 18" of rain on us in less than 12 hours.

Areas that had never flooded were underwater.

17 hours ago, Angelfish said:

I guess I can’t complain too much about mine, only floods when the wind is going the right way.

IMG_0167.jpeg.91849359be476dcf5eb9b7c6968f9530.jpeg

that looks more like rat pee than flooding 🙂

Steve

• Like 1

Mine I would consider as  flood prof, it is around 3 ft higher than the roads and we get maybe in a wet year up to 4 inches of rain.

Death Valley (1 hour away) so far this year has had more rain than here.

002 (3).JPG

Due to humidity and heat in the garages, I went to Costco and for $350 I got this 12,000 BTU A/C, dehumidifier and fan combo.

It is in the 90's here today and it is 74 in my 1400 sq ft garage.  Easy to install but you have to have an exit for the exhaust air.

Midea.jpeg