Theft at Swap Meets

32 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

I have always looked at these Forums like a bunch of guys sitting around a wood stove in a General Store. Sure we start off on one subject but then the conversation drifts a bit... So what? We can always come back to the original topic. This is what makes life interesting.

So THAT'S why the Studebaker Drivers Club calls their 'non-topic' Forum that!!  "Stove Huggers" the non-Studebaker Forum - Studebaker Drivers Club Forum  😉

Craig

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

I have always looked at these Forums like a bunch of guys sitting around a wood stove in a General Store. Sure we start off on one subject but then the conversation drifts a bit... So what? We can always come back to the original topic. This is what makes life interesting.

Yeah, but i still wanna talk about swap meets!  Years ago at Hershey, when I was over in the old White field, someone caught a thief red-handed.  He was quickly captured and held by a group of bystanders and nearby vendors.  I didn't see all of the action that took place but there was some pretty salty language, a few axle shafts swinging, and some bodies flailing around.  Reportedly, the thief was glad to finally be in the hands of security and police for his own protection. 

Terry

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Terry Bond said:

Yeah, but i still wanna talk about swap meets!  Years ago at Hershey, when I was over in the old White field, someone caught a thief red-handed.  He was quickly captured and held by a group of bystanders and nearby vendors.  I didn't see all of the action that took place but there was some pretty salty language, a few axle shafts swinging, and some bodies flailing around.  Reportedly, the thief was glad to finally be in the hands of security and police for his own protection. 

Terry

Three years later the law suits were finally settled and damages paid. The thief was able to pay off his mortgage with enough left over for a trip to Vegas with his girl friend.........Bob

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

Three years later the law suits were finally settled and damages paid. The thief was able to pay off his mortgage with enough left over for a trip to Vegas with his girl friend.........Bob

That's what they call "The American Dream"

Edited by Reicholzheimer (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

To sort of get back on topic here, I'll discuss Correct & Respectful Porta Potty Etiquette at swap meets. It's simple, if you're a vendor and you need a toilet, RENT ONE YOURSELF. Don't ask to use someone else's potty just because you're vending nearby or across the aisle. We'll say NO and we don't care if you get ticked off and never speak to us again. And we won't allow your wife to use our potty because you just bought two items off our $1 space. I can't believe people would even ask but many feel like they're entitled today. We only rented the potty in the first place because someone on our group had a serious medical condition and we wanted him to have a clean, private, and close place to go. The long rows of public toilets are just around the corner and up the row. You've already covered four or five miles today, so what's another 250 feet? TAKE A WALK. 

• Like 1

I will have to admit that I an the one that will put an odd part on some other guys  table.

I would then go back in a 1/2 hour or so and ask what the part is or what it is just to see the reaction.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

I thought we were talking about swap meets? 

Terry

Yes, but theft happens everywhere. If that clerk was watching your booth at a swap meet he might do real good business while you were having lunch.

How many of you risk leaving your radiator mascot on the car while visiting or exhibiting at a car show

I have noticed even at car auctions they are removed for safe keeping

sad times 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, The 55er said:

Don't ask to use someone else's potty

I get that alot when I tow the racecar into the pits with my motor home.

I tell them sorry; toilet doesn't work. Three different MHs over the years that had faulty toilets.

But I have been known to take a shower between heats, LOL

• Like 2

On 7/21/2024 at 1:12 PM, greenie said:

For several years, before the Charlotte AutoFair swap meet died, we placed a bunch of items on our tailgate, priced from $5 to $50, and posted a note to “ put your $$$$ in the truck window”. We then walked off to shop ourselves. Returning later in the day, it was always nice to see $$$ on the truck seat/floor and no indication that anything was taken without payment. In fact, the lady next door “complained” that we did better than her and we were always gone. Very few people are dishonest at old car events. I do recognize that vendors need to protect themselves. 

I was at Charlotte in April for the Friday & Saturday AACA shows, so on Thursday I walked around the swap meet area. I found an item on a table that had a price of $4 on it, price tag was a piece of masking tape, and no one at the spot. I waited a few minutes, and then decided to take the item and I used the masking tape price tag and taped it with a $5 bill on the rear window of his van. I trust he found it. Later I was in one of the indoor car display tents and found a dollar bill on the floor, so maybe that was my change! I tell people I'm crazy but I'm not a thief.

• Haha 1

One of the best swapmeet out West is the Tri-state in Denver Colo,in February,all inside. We had spaces one year,I was out looking while the wife was watching and reading a book. A large NOS cast iron Stromberg carb walked away while she was there. We closed up one night,tarped the tables,etc,the next day a really neat foreign car emblem that was in my display case was gone. Last Feb a friend closed up for the night and a go cart was gone the next day. Another friend has had a crew cab Ford pickup for years,he went back to the motel from that same meet and the next day the pickup was gone. There should be a special security force that moniters certain spaces and has the power to arrest and charge someone that steals. In ads for the meet,they could have a line down in the corner something like" Security by SECURE SWAP"

20 hours ago, Billy Kingsley said:

Stealing a porta potty is such a crappy thing to do. 

Grooaannn...

He'll be here all week folks, grab a snow-cone and enjoy the show!😄

I have a story about a friend's Poo-Joe 404 and a porta-potty but it doesn't fit with the topic. Maybe another time.

• Haha 1