Spring Carlisle-Anyone Going or Been There?

I saw on the local news station Spring Carlisle is in full swing.  The local (young) news reporter was seated in a 1920 Model T in the under cover cars for sale area.  He said he had no idea on how to drive the Model T but he did learn how to blow the horn.  
So the question is, are you going or have you been there and have information about it to share.

A lot of us have no idea how to drive a T!😄 We can only hope sitting in the T might have sparked some interest in old cars for the kid.

Two of my friends are there. Their report this morning was Carlisle was in full swing. To point they're already trying to figure how to get one of them's stuff in the truck for the trip home.

Last time I went with them a couple years ago, this guy looked at his hoard and at the truck and said "I had no idea I bought so much".

I miss it, but I can't walk it anymore and I'm too cheap to rent a scooter. I think that's up to $95 a day which is out and out robbery IMO. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had all intentions of going. I have missed the last few years now. Not really needing any parts currently so its not a big loss on my end but like Hershey I enjoy walking the rows, seeing whats for sale and what people are dragging around behind them. I have a good friend going tomorrow and was planning on meeting up with him, but my workload will keep me close to home instead. I did have a bit of a lull yesterday and went to Hershey for the annual Mustang birthday party. Then Carlisle is currently going on, a couple of shows on Saturday and cars n coffee on Sunday. My wife is good with me and about 1 car event a month, I went to a show last Sat so I may be pushing this one. I will miss it, but theres always next year. My son has taken a liking to mopar stuff (for reasons unbeknownst to me?) and was talking about hitting carlisle for that event. I know its not the same though.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TAKerry said:

My son has taken a liking to mopar stuff (for reasons unbeknownst to me?) and was talking about hitting carlisle for that event. I know its not the same though.

My unbiased opinion is that it is better!  Moparfest in New Hamburg, Ontario is the second largest Mopar show after Carlisle if he wants the Canadian Mopar experience.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Wife and I left at 5:00am for the 3 hour drive north to Carlisle. My main objective was to pick up the new set of tires and tubes from Coker for my recent Model A Sedan purchase. We did spend a few hours walking the isles (saw about 1/3 of it) after picking up the tires and hooked up with some friends for lunch. Was certainly a picture perfect beautiful day to be out and about! Other than $1,300 worth of tires, I spent $5 on a cool pre-war taillamp that is kind of unusual. Lots and lots of post war parts and performance stuff but enough pre-war items to be interesting. Crowd was large and vendors seemed to be busy.

Walked by Craig's spaces twice @mobileparts but didn't stop to chat. He was busy with multiple customers both times.

• Like 2

Hey, pkhammer,

oh man, I wish you had stopped by to say hello !!!

I —- was —- extremely active today, and a good bit of it was buying….

some of the other conversations that I had, will indeed lead to sales down the road, so it was vital that I took the time to lead them to the promised land !!!

The place was crawling with people today, the aisles were full for what I could see…

And I am in row I I —- the middle of the infield…

One of my fellow vendor friends in Row P down by gate one agreed —- his aisle was typically very full at 6 : 45 A.M. to 9 : 00 A.M. and still had people all day….

Yesterday, Wednesday, there were considerably less people, but 50 - 70 % were buying…..

Today, Thursday, the place was jam packed, but I would say 15 - 20 % were buying….

approximately 1 in 5 , 1 in 6…. That’s all …. Luckily, I was too busy, as pkhammer said, to wonder why they were here ?!?! I was busy serving people…..

For all those that were aimlessly wandering around —- it is fair to wonder why they would pay $ 10 to park , $ 13 each for admission , to just clog up the aisles ?!?!

They would walk down the middle of the aisle, and not even look left or right ?!?!

Or “ dutifully walk the outer curve “ and not go down any aisle ?!?!

I don’t think they got their money’s worth, to be honest…….

Still two (2) more days here —- Friday and Saturday —- come be part of the fun !!!

Yours, Craig…..

• Like 2

I just read some of your above comments, and I will add some….

Fords @ Carlisle coming up —- not a big field of vendors ( many of us have left that venue, because of lack of sales ) but over 3500 cars —- the large percentage is newer Mustangs ( the 2000 s , NOT 1964 - 1973 so much ) Virtually never any Lincolns…. Of any era , and a smattering of the rest…..

G Ms @ Carlisle —- sadly, a postage stamp of a show —- they have marketed this show badly —- because,it just hasn’t happened….. mostly Chevelles, Camaros, Novas, and Corvettes…. I did it the first 14 years , have not done it the last 11…..

Call me, if it ever amounts to anything !!!

Chryslers @ Carlisle —- the Number # 1 MOPAR Event on Planet Earth —- has farrrrr

surpassed the MOPAR Nationals in Columbus, Ohio…

3200 + cars last year and climbing, SOLD OUT Vendor Area and overflowing , huge car corral , seminars, autograph signings, and a whoooooooole lot more….

If you are a MOPARIAN , or enjoy Chargers, Challengers, Super Birds and Bees, the craziest color scheme any Manufacturer offered, Chrysler 300s and Imperials , and on and on, you do not want to miss this fantastic show…. It is truly phenomenal in absolutely every way…..

If you live anywhere near Carlisle, Pennsylvania; they offer an all events Seasonal Pass for $ 89 —- which entitles you to FREE Admission every day at any show, such that, by day seven (7) of your attendance , you are ahead of the game….

And don’t forget , there is also the Truck Show, the Corvette Show, the Import and Performance Show, and FALL CARLISLE, the week preceding HERSHEY….

Many, many people from around the WORLD make the two week trek from late September to the middle of October for FALL CARLISLE and HERSHEY….

Yours, Craig….

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As far as my fellow vendors go,

they range from weak to good, so far….

One can never “ bank “ on quantity of sales until the actual money is in one’s pocket, of course, but we all have goals of what total $$$ taken in would constitute a fair show, a good show, and an excellent show….

At this point, with Wednesday and Thursday completed ( 2 days ) , and

Friday and Saturday to go ( 1 3/4 days ) ,

you would certainly like to be at 50 % of your believed goal to have a good show…

Some of my friends and fellow vendor friends are decently short of that mark, some are short of that mark , and some of us are at that plateau….

No one I personally know is over that mark , or doing cartwheels up and down the aisles , overjoyed in success….

But, with two (2) days to go, there certainly is time to have poor become good, for decent to become great…. We all won’t know the final number for 48 hours…

There is some precipitation slated for later today / Friday from 2 : 00 P.M. through

11 : 00 P.M. , but with continued hourly accumulations of .01 —- so, there just might be some times , maybe steady at times, of that annoying little drizzle…. But that usually doesn’t have people running for the hills , like a steady rain, storm , or worse…

We ( should ) be okay tomorrow—- and Saturday should be glorious….

Come on down —- the vendor areas are more than 90 % full , there are plenty of cars in the corral — from rugged to gorgeous —- and, as you heard ^^^ above ^^^ , some are selling … also Friday is day 2 of 2 of the car auction across the street at the Carlisle Expo Center —- so there is still plenty of reason to be here , if you are a classic or antique car officianado…..

Don’t be a whining little wimp —- and stay home —- and then bemoan , “ I should have gone “ … get your tushy moving and get down here… Be a MAN !!! Or a WOMAN !!

and Get Down here…

People are here from Canada, Eh ? ( MANY ) , my friend Ernesto from Oviedo, Spain ,

my friends Tomas , Roland , and Bjorn from Sweden , and a lot of states from the United States are represented —- I have already personally served Oregon , California , Florida , and Maine…

See ya’ here —- I am at I I 118 - 119 —- G M, MOPAR , and FORD , and Others —-

Rambler, Studebaker, International , Packard, Edsel, AMC, Nash, and more….

Yours, Craig….

• Like 3

Great to see the comments and hear that the crowds were present--always worried that the internet will destroy the in-person events.

I made it up for a few hours yesterday ( Thursday)--attendance was pretty good from what I saw.  Lines at the "little blue houses " were often long.  Don't forget to tip the attendants.

Too many "wheeled vehicles" driven by people with little regard for those who are walking.  Too many young kids on bicycles.  All that is intimidating to older walkers.  I completely understand they "graying" of the hobby and the HC vehicles are a good thing.  I just wish that all drivers were aware of the people walking.

I also miss the "Vendor --Listing by Specialty" in the program.  I understand that is available in the APP, so maybe that is better.

Against my normal practice, I will be returning on Saturday.  I expect it to be VERY crowded and that is why I usually try to be done before Saturday, but this year reality did not permit me to get up there on Wednesday and Friday.

Looking forward to the Ford Nationals in June.  It is a smaller show than Spring and Fall, but almost every vendor is selling FoMoCo stuff.

• Like 1

We've been set up since Tuesday afternoon. Sales have been good, my buying even better. The weather has been good so far. There was a pretty good rain overnight Wednesday, but it had stopped by morning. So far this has been a good show. People are actually buying parts again.

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Looks like at least the weather was consistent this year. I have gone when it was snowing in the morning, sunny in the afternoon. Another time so windy and cold I about couldnt stand it. Sitting right beside the mountain range surely wreaks havoc on the weather pattern there. I am glad it sounds like a good show. 

As for wanderers, I AM THAT guy. I would bet that the guys selling parking, and the gate admissions and the guys selling lunch would disagree about keeping our kind of people away. Like PK I have bought large items for pickup from vendors several times, to save on shipping (but in the long run, the round trip drive, the cost with being there and the extra money spent probably results in spending more than the shipping would have been). There was ONE vendor I knew that was an exclusive Pontiac and more specifically Trans Am oriented. Unfortunately he passed away several years ago and I dont think anyone took over his spot. Most of the time I just go because, same way with Hershey. I dont drink, smoke or chase women (I am waiting until I hit 65 to start those habits) so this is akin to a day in the park for me.

Just sorry I missed again this year. 

• Like 1

Today, Friday, was easily our worst day of weather….

First drizzle moment at 10 : something —- 3 minutes…..

Second drizzle moment at later 10 : something…. 5 minutes….

Third one was bad —- 11 : something —- harder , continuous , rain for at least 

a half an hour or 45 minutes —- chased a lot of people into the grand stands / into the inside buildings / to the food court / into their cars , etc., etc.  
I have to believe a lot gave up and said “ outta here “ and left….

The rest of the afternoon , we had a few extra 3 to 5 minute periods of drizzle —- there were still a —- decent —- amount of people walking around , and a much higher percentage of those people who stuck it out —-were buying !!! And some of those who bought from me , I gave them extra discount for sticking it out !!! I rewarded them for being Manly Men , and let them know that !!!

I did tarp up earlier than the last three (3) days —- when I closed at 6: 00 P.M. ….

Today, I did tarp up at 5 : 15 P.M. , and I was still easily the last one in my area to close up…. Some booths around me called it “ quits “ by 4 : 00 P.M…..

I have heard that some vendors left today and tonight…. Not over here by me —- I see one commercial 30 ‘ x 30 ‘ tent a couple aisles away that is abandoned —- but over here —- 97 % of the vendors are still here….

For those who are considering coming —- come !!! Still plenty here , to see and to do…

I do recommend getting here as early as you can —- 6 : 45 to 7 : 00 A.M. —- because we all know that vendors will be leaving all day tomorrow / Saturday —- and by Saturday at 5 : 00 P.M. —- it will be down to 20 % or less….

Hope to see you here tomorrow…. There is definitely nothing better to do !!!!

Craig ……

We were there Wednesday and returned on Thursday. It was remarkable to see all the vendors set up Thursday at the top (flat) part of the North Field. Vendor numbers are definitely heading back up. 

We couldn’t go Friday, but the chilly wet weather made me happy we didn’t.

We will go back Saturday. Yeah, some vendors will have left- but 64 and sunny at Carlisle sounds like a great idea.

• Like 2

Since we are near gate 3, we saw vendors loaded up and apparently heading out. This is unfortunate but unfortunately not unusual. As Craig said, Saturday may be the nicest day since Tuesday.

• Like 1

Have been vending at Carlisle the past few years in the North Field.  

We had a good problem this year that sales were so well that we called it a week Friday Afternoon since inventory was low.  

People were buying Tuesday through Friday.  Thursday was one of the busiest days ever with the aisles still being full late into the afternoon.

• Like 3

^^^ timmy25252 ^^^
Glad to hear that you had a good week here at Spring Carlisle —- the North Field can be slow for sales some years for sure, it is good to know the patrons are getting to you…

For the rest of you whom are interested, here is the Saturday night report and final one for Spring Carlisle 2024….

Here is the good news : Sunday at Spring and Fall Carlisle are now F R E E !!!
Here is the bad news : If you come, there will be a long walk between open vendors….

It is 8 : 00 P.M. , I just finished lunch , and I tooted around the fields to check out the action….

We are shortly going to lose our daylight , aisles are clogged with vehicles being packed , a lot of vendors are packing up at a feverish rate….

Some aisles are very very barren , more and more are becoming that way , and I would estimate that there may be about 10 - 15 % of vendors remaining….

There are still about 100 cars in the car corral , so perhaps you can catch an owner who really doesn’t want to bring home a vehicle he was hoping to sell , at a vulnerable point and strike a deal and score a bargain…

I am 100 % packed , awaiting my hired hand for tomorrow 8 A.M. - 9 A.M. to assist me getting everything into the vehicle , as many of you know or are aware that I am medically disabled/ challenged —- and have to hire someone to help me get my merchandise out at the onset of the show —- and back in at the end of the show…

( More things in my life I must pay for —- just wonderful )

Every fellow vendor that I know did from decent to good or very good….And, it sounds like timmy25252 above, did Very Well …..

It is getting dark now, and the Carlisle night lights just came on….Later…..

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, timmy25252 said:

Have been vending at Carlisle the past few years in the North Field.  

We had a good problem this year that sales were so well that we called it a week Friday Afternoon since inventory was low.  

People were buying Tuesday through Friday.  Thursday was one of the busiest days ever with the aisles still being full late into the afternoon.

So, what were you selling that was in such big demand?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, greenie said:

We were there Wednesday and returned on Thursday. It was remarkable to see all the vendors set up Thursday at the top (flat) part of the North Field. Vendor numbers are definitely heading back up. 

This is the kind of news I like to hear. Vendor spaces full and large crowds of buyers. I hope to see this same thing happen at Hershey this fall. Things have been down in my opinion (vendors and buyers) since the Covid pandemic. I'm anxious to see what kind of turnout we have at the local (to me) Pre-war swap meet in Luray in a few weeks. Last I heard, the vendor spaces were nearly sold out.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Terry Bond said:

So, what were you selling that was in such big demand?

Majority 1930s 1940s Ford GM Sheetmetal, Headlights, Fog Lights, Grills, etc

Had all parts marked with price and was willing to negotiate with buyers.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, timmy25252 said:

Majority 1930s 1940s Ford GM Sheetmetal, Headlights, Fog Lights, Grills, etc

Had all parts marked with price and was willing to negotiate with buyers.

I wish ALL vendors would price their stuff.  No prices is a none starter for me.

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, Littlestown Mike said:

I wish ALL vendors would price their stuff.  No prices is a none starter for me.

Definitely a pet peeve of mine, most annoying thing at all swap meets.    Especially when a vendor has everything thrown around looking like a dollar pile, but then ask a fortune$$$ or when they tell you to make an offer and they get pissed at the fair offer presented.

If they take a few minutes to mark with pricing, they would see their sales increase. 

• Like 3

I went to a swap meet last Sunday in Monroe, Michigan.  Lot of parts looked like they were pulled out of a barn or swamp after decades.  There was no attempt to clean wheel covers, for example.  Few items had prices posted, and many parts in NOS boxes were not identified.  It would have been a total waste of time driving almost 40 miles if not for hanging out with my buddy and then having a nice meal afterward.  

4 hours ago, Jim Skelly said:

I went to a swap meet last Sunday in Monroe, Michigan.  Lot of parts looked like they were pulled out of a barn or swamp after decades.  There was no attempt to clean wheel covers, for example.  Few items had prices posted, and many parts in NOS boxes were not identified.  It would have been a total waste of time driving almost 40 miles if not for hanging out with my buddy and then having a nice meal afterward.  

These are the swap meets I prefer. When a seller takes the time to carefully clean and polish the items, individually tag them, and arrange them in a point-of-sale display, the price goes up accordingly. Sorry, but I'm a cheap SOB.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I don't mind dirty and in a jumble so much but I do like to see prices. I HATE standing there trying to get the seller's attention while he's blabbing to his buddies and paying no attention to buyers or worse yet asking his buddy or spouse and getting "I don't know, he's not here right now but will be back later". If it's not priced, I move on unless it's something I think I just have to have.

When I set up, everything has a price on it. I also display a sign that says "reasonable offers accepted, crazy offers considered". If someone is looking over my items and looks to be trying to make eye contact, I jump up from my chair and see if I can help them. I don't rush out to try and make a hard sell because people hate that too, but I realize people are trying to cover a lot of ground and I don't want to keep them waiting if they have a question.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Joe P. ,

I have to respectfully disagree...

You are humble and a Great Person...,

Those of us who know you, recognize that you are more intelligent than 99.9 % of the planet  ( that is why I value our friendship --- we were almost classmates !!! ) , so you are not " a cheap sob " -- you are very shrewd and wise, so you are not going to be duped or taken....

Hope you made it home safely.... Yours, Craig....

• Like 1

pkhammer,

I agree with you --- hard sell never works --- they back away and don't buy , so why bother .....

When they say , " I'll be back " , I will respond whatever the truth is , such that if I have three of them , I will tell them ,

" NO problem , I have 3 of them  , I won't be out... And I will be open until 6 : 00.... "

I dare say that I get more be - backers than most, because I use a laid back approach... I am easy ( as I hand them my phone number ---

If you want it now , fine, otherwise , call me when you want it ..... "

You know what really does SUCK , though.... When they say they want something,  and you leave five messages / courtesy calls ( in baseball , three strikes you're out ) and they don't return your calls --- those are the biggest dirtbags / inconsiderate people on the planet.... 

Craig.....

• Like 1

Craig I can appreciate your last few sentences, you are a man of your word as were your family before you who ran the best parts house /store on long island that I first knew in the early 1960s. Some of us always will remember the "good guys" with great memories and great parts.

OK folks "the Big H" is about 6 months away - is the only flea market that I have a vendors space at. Thanks to all who gave us a report of the happenings at Carlisle.

Walt

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1