Is this a Jeep?

Looks like a modified jeep, maybe a barnyard custom, or perhaps a mock-up made to look foreign for military or re-enactment purposes.

• Like 2

It has some type of brush guard on it. The Army scraped many kind of like this one by cutting them in half.

They were wider and lower than the standard Jeeps. The rear wheel openings are a bit strange on this thing.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

I had read years ago that the M151 model wasn’t sold as surplus due to “interesting “handling characteristics.

There were some sold in the first surplus sales of them. Then the next ones to the end were all cut up before being sold as surplus. Some enterprising people bought the pieces and reassembled them. So, there are some in civilian hands. Like this one:

https://midwestmilitary.com/1963-m151-jeep-for-sale-4700-00/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 28 Chrysler said:

It has some type of brush guard on it. The Army scraped many kind of like this one by cutting them in half.

On the DoD surplus auction lists, they would call the cut apart Jeeps the 'residue' of the vehicle.

My nephew had one and I think he sold it to his brother. They were a 1960s military vehicle.

It has been in the family for around 30 years and spent most of its time sitting in my brother's garage. The novelty seemed to wear off quickly.

On the odd Jeep thing, at the grocery store this morning I saw the manager of our local Monroe Muffler shop. I asked if he had a new vehicle. He said yes, a Gladiator Mojave.

I asked "Is that like something to commemorate spaghetti westerns?

He laughed.

• Haha 4

Local National Guard base ran them over with a tank when decomissioned. 
Then sold for scrap.
I believe the engine/trans was modular that could be swapped out as a unit. 
I happen to know where there are at least 15-20 units sitting in a small personal junk yard. 

Based on the width of the tub, it looks like an M-151.  Ironically the very first one that was ever built was given to Eisenhower, and is still on display at Eishenhower's farm.  That model was very prone to rolling over (I almost rolled one over myself) and were supposed to be cut in half and/or destroyed when the Army was done with them, but a lot of people bought them and welded them back together.

In the Army's effort to get rid of the 151's, they replaced them with the Chevy Blazers until the Humvee could be developed.

IMG_0083.JPG

IMG_0084.JPG

MVC-830F.JPG

41 minutes ago, Larry Schramm said:

I remember those Blazers being built at the Flint truck plant.

I never cared for the Diesel engines, but when I joined the Army back in 1985, those trucks were brand new.  I always thought they looked bad@$$

33 minutes ago, ex98thdrill said:

I never cared for the Diesel engines, but when I joined the Army back in 1985, those trucks were brand new.  I always thought they looked bad@$$

I understand that those truck of that era are worth quite a bit of money today.

On 2/17/2024 at 8:19 PM, plymouthcranbrook said:

I had read years ago that the M151 model wasn’t sold as surplus due to “interesting “handling characteristics.  I can’t remember where I read it but that said I have never seen one on the road.

I heard that as well, but I have seen a few with license plates in veteran's day parades so at least some escaped into the civilian market. They do have a swing axle rear suspension and a high center of gravity: is far worse than a Corvair or early VW. I was in the Army at the time when the M151 accounted for 25% of the total inventory of vehicles, mostly driven by teen age boys. There were incidents, but not nearly as many as you might imagine. 

• Like 1

On 2/21/2024 at 12:14 PM, Leif in Calif said:

I heard that as well, but I have seen a few with license plates in veteran's day parades so at least some escaped into the civilian market. They do have a swing axle rear suspension and a high center of gravity: is far worse than a Corvair or early VW. I was in the Army at the time when the M151 accounted for 25% of the total inventory of vehicles, mostly driven by teen age boys. There were incidents, but not nearly as many as you might imagine. 

There are guys buying them up and welding them back together.  You don't see as many of them because most of the people that want a Jeep want the Willys.  In terms of restoration the parts for the Willys are a lot more plentiful and easier to get.  I have a '52.  The '52's were the last year of the flat fenders.

IMG_0806.JPG

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Flat fenders for jeep or willy's? I have a '59 flat fender willys.

Willys military Jeep.

I couldn't fit the entire picture in my scanner, but if you look at the two pictures, you'll see the evolution of the military Jeep in chronological order.  This does not include the M151.  If you look to the far right, you'll see the M38A1 does not have the flat fenders.  The shape of the fenders pretty much resembles that later CJ5's and CJ7's

scan0024.jpg

scan0023.jpg

• Like 1