1929 Cadillac - $35,000 Unfortunate choices

Lots of previous discussion about the high cost to properly rebuild these engines so its easy to guess what happened here (or it could just be poor judgment)...but 454 in the original chassis? Original braking and cornering coupled with many times the power! A rocket powered bi-plane, just needing a brave test pilot.  

https://slo.craigslist.org/cto/d/nipomo-1929-cadillac/7706215119.html

1929 Cadillac, fresh 454 cu engine with Turbo 400, custom built radiator with auto cooling fans plus additional manual electric electric fan if needed (but never required) Runs good, new battery, paint lacquer finish, mechanical brakes, needs TLC - good project for Grandpa and Grandson to complete.
(Have original engine and transmission) email: c29cf693864732d3b2eb12ad4f1dc25b@sale.craigslist.org

1929 Cadillac 100E0E_jvCfgrUltIQ_0t20CI_600x450.jpg00d0d_4MFvtPP7hVN_0t20CI_600x450.jpg00q0q_2GIOLkQF089_0t20CI_600x450.jpg00D0D_kDfCoEeYjfR_0t20CI_600x450.jpg

If decelerating from 55 miles per hour. The brakes don’t care if a stock motor got the car going that fast, or a 454 did. Overkill choice on Donor engine, Stock modified driveline, rear axle, wheels and tires would not like the power that 454 will send back there. Not sure what the rear end ratio is? I would think the acceleration side would cause problems before the brakes came into play.

• Like 2

At least he has the original engine and transmission.  Gross colors too.   Ubiquitous mid 80's puke brown that so many cars are painted.  Might be a decent project for the right price.  $35k is not the right price.  Should be Less than half of that.

• Like 2

What was the owner thinking...        maybe...     when I pull up at the stoplight next to a sports car,  I'll beat him off the line, won't he be surprised...  and impressed...

Of course the owner might get his own surprise if he puts the pedal down too fast...

54 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

I see the centers of those wire wheels being torn out, if the axles don't shear themselves first.

Yes! That's the first failure point, which at least probably won't endanger anyone else.

He'd have been so much better to swap in a later Cadillac flat head if he had to go messing about.

Not going to be many takes at $35K.... as they say "That dog won't hunt!" 

• Like 1

Hummmmm…… If an automaker released something like this and the inevitable happened, there would be serious lawsuits.  

A person creates a poorly engineered “accident waiting to happen”,  shouldn’t they be liable for the consequences? 

Have the builders of hot rods ever been sued?

11 hours ago, CarNucopia said:

“needs TLC…..“

Total Lunatic to Complete

I love that one!

The ironic thing about the color is, that one of the best really original paint cars I ever saw in colors really close to this, was a 1927 Cadillac (one of two built) Fleetwood limousine. Beautiful original car! In beige and brown before the craze of painting anything those colors. Those colors were used on some cars in the 1920s and early 1930s. They were not common colors, but they were around.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, m-mman said:

Hummmmm…… If an automaker released something like this and the inevitable happened, there would be serious lawsuits.  

A person creates a poorly engineered “accident waiting to happen”,  shouldn’t they be liable for the consequences? 

Have the builders of hot rods ever been sued?

Responsibility of the driver. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Leif in Calif said:

but 454 in the original chassis? Original braking and cornering coupled with many times the power! A rocket powered bi-plane, just needing a brave test pilot.  

I have seen some of those BBC's fitted with a variable fuel feed so power can be applied gradually. It is not like a full throttle off/on switch.

When I first got into the hobby the only interest a "real" collector would have for one of the funeral home leftovers would be the parts that fit an open car. They'd strip it for parts in a minute.

One would be hard pressed to find a hobby article related to a standard Cadillac sedan prior to 1980. You guys just didn't want them. I was told that by people who knew.

Don't cry today.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

I have seen some of those BBC's fitted with a variable fuel feed so power can be applied gradually. It is not like a full throttle off/on switch.

When I first got into the hobby the only interest a "real" collector would have for one of the funeral home leftovers would be the parts that fit an open car. They'd strip it for parts in a minute.

One would be hard pressed to find a hobby article related to a standard Cadillac sedan prior to 1980. You guys just didn't want them. I was told that by people who knew.

Don't cry today.

I have an auto "restoration" book that I bought in the 70's that suggested turning sedans into open tourers. Looking back at that period today, some crazy modifications went on. I remember a Duesenberg powered Model A Ford, and lots of Shelby Cobras with small block Chevys.  It still happens to cars that aren't worth much. There us a British magazine called Practical Classics that is all about getting your old car on the road but adapting different readily available parts. In 50 years we'll look back in horror, but at least those cars didn't go to the scrapper.