Chance to buy a 1957 Ford 2 Door Wagon. Value?

I just talked with the owner and he says it’s time to sell. Lots of surface rust, don’t see any cancer. New gas tank and lines, and brakes and lines. It’s a 6 cylinder that’s built for drag racing. He says you shouldn’t really drive it on the highway; says the trans is geared wrong for highway. Chrome would need refinishing. Haven’t seen interior condition. Will see that when we meet tomorrow and I look over the car more closely. Anyone want to give an estimate of value/what I should offer?

95B028DD-1024-4FBB-9CA8-100C3C41B0B0.jpeg

FEB7C855-0565-400D-A9E9-BF3CBA95AD62.jpeg

895582FB-A585-441E-A4F1-1BF309060EE8.jpeg

• Like 1

Personally, I think $10.00 will have you in the hole before you get it home. Where would one start. Now I suppose if someone was looking for exactly one of these and can do most of the work to get it drivable on their own, and plan to clean up the rust and leave it that way, maybe $20.00. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ed Luddy said:

That's a 1957 Del Rio. For'd answer to the Chevy Nomad. Shame it's so rusty.

Close, Ed, but no cigar. The subject wagon in the base "Ranch Wagon" Check the side trim.

750 hp Shotgun-Powered '57 Ford Del Rio Ranch Wagon Part 2 ...

1957%20Ford%20Brochure-05.jpg

• Like 7

I'd be afraid of abrasive blasting that body even with the mildest medium. Could end up like that old Plymouth in the "Not Mine" forum that someone made into a luminaria.

If you'd try to dip it in rust remover, it might disappear altogether.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I see you are in Woodbury. 
If your set on a 2dr wagon even to flip, there is one sitting on a trailer for sale about an hour NW of St Cloud. 
From the road it atleast has some of its original paint.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, George Smolinski said:

I’ll be looking at it today in the daylight. Then I’ll see just how bad it is. I’m thinking of buying to flip. From looking at FB crap, it should $29,000, the usual price for FB classics.

George, if you ARE serious, max $200 above salvage value.  That is my opinion and I am sticking to it!!

Ben

You say surface rust but no cancer? I assume you mean no through rust. Looks like it wont be long before the surface rust IS through rust. There is a market for 'rust patina' cars, and most are pretend. IF the rust will not turn into a full blown hole through the sheet metal when sanded you may have something marketable to particular segment in the hobby. Sand the entire car down to get rid of the loose bits, then a surface sealer. Interior doesnt need to be perfect, just dont want to be sitting on springs. Have a reliable as can be drivetrain and a decent set of tires and wheels and your onto something. With that little bit of work needed I would be comfortable spending no more than about $1k on that car, assuming I could sell a finished product for $3500. I say 1k because that is about the limit I would feel comfortable loosing. Then again if Im throwing 1k away a weekend in vegas may be more fun, LOL.

• Like 1

Ford frames in that era are subject to extensive rust out.

I was given one and the entire bottom of the box frame was gone, and the front cross member had folded in with rot.

The type of rust on the tailgate (blistered) tends to be veeeeery deep.

If you are flipping it, try the local scrap yard, they are paying about $75 a ton.

Edited by R Walling (see edit history)
  • Like 4

It's a neat style, but based on what I see, I would suggest a pass on this one and keep looking.

Re a flip, unless you get the car for dirt cheap, you are going to get flipped.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, R Walling said:

If you are flipping it, try the local scrap yard, they are paying about $75 a ton.

Out west you can get around $100./ton for scrap. Of course it might cost $3000. to get the wagon out here, but compared to keeping and working in it, your loss would be limited to only about $2850. 

George, Don't go by asking prices in the for-sale ads.

The above 56 that I mentioned I sold for $600 was a top of the line car with all the expensive parts.

I seen it later advertised FOR $7000! RUST FREE, SOLID CAR!

IT WAS ONLY A PARTS CAR AT BEST.

• Like 1

To me it looks like a lacquer paint job that cracked and high humidity took a toll on this car. (car cover?)

I had a 57 ranch wagon I got in Inver Grove Hts, Mn. in the early 70s. The thing was rusted a good 8"all around, not much left of the frame behind the rear axle.

There could be a few speed parts or maybe the whole 6 cyl that are worth more than the car.

1957 Fords all had rust problems when new.  This one looks like it lived (Or Died) on the beach.   A $50,000+ restoration is in order.

The A-Frame front suspension rusts out on them and the car falls down.   I recommed you keep looking,

57Ranchero.jpg.5ca919827d46fc3b7c18ef63bc1e5d61.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, George Smolinski said:

I’ll be looking at it today in the daylight. Then I’ll see just how bad it is. I’m thinking of buying to flip. From looking at FB crap, it should $29,000, the usual price for FB classics.

At least you have a game plan, good luck with it

• Like 1

"Surface Rust" are you for real? I would bet that once you start cleaning the rust off you will end up with dozens of holes. Take a good look at the holes in the tailgate and I'll bet that the roof is no better! Was it parked on the deck of the Titanic? A part's car at best as some of the parts for a wagon, such as the quarter panel trim spears are very hard to find.

I have never seen "surface rust" quite like that! I'm not sure how that came about but it looks like it was sprayed with salt water and then covered with a tarp while still wet. I agree with the above post that once it got sanded/cleaned, it'd be full of holes. As much as I like that body style, I think I'd leave that one for someone else.

• Like 1

I could see going $1,000 for it, more if you really want it. The car doesn't have the slightest preparation for the sale. I have bought similar condition cars, made them look better without much work and pocketed an easy 1,000 to $2,000.

Don't buy a marriage. But don't walk away thinking it is too high a risk. I don't own any of the worst cars I have bought. I sold them.

The Simon School of Business near me is offering post-grad courses at $3,000 per credit hour. Who knows what you might learn from that car.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

I still have regrets for not buying this car when I had a chance in 2012.

Yes, it is a Lincoln Cosmo. No, that is not an engine swap. It's a chassis swap. :)

By now I probably would have sold it. Not a flip. of course, just a change in demographic marketing perspective.

082.JPG.0e6084e82e3d025df04e79c12e5c7abd.JPG

058.JPG.a9544992c7049dcb7cf022f8bf6650d3.JPG