Make and model at Stone Mountain?

MrEarl

Sales literature claimed that wire wheels would become standard equipment, but the simple FACT is that it never happened!

The triangle shaped "gypsy" curtains (still rarely seen) were also an option in 1926 and 1927.

Headlamps changed a few times during 1926 and 1927, and there were several detail difference changes during those two years. But I can't see any of those details in this photo.

A touring car with wire wheels and gypsy curtains likely would be a very late 1926 or a 1927 model as supply shortages (one of the main reasons the wire wheels never actually became standard equipment!) made those options not available on anything but sedans for much of 1926.

It is a great photo of one of the last of the ubiquitous model T Fords!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Oldtech is correct when he lists this car as 1926 or 1927.
Apart from the different wheel types available these two years, I believe that the 1926 models did not have a cross bar under the headlights. For 1927, a crossbar was added.
Just to confuse things, this photo is from the 1927 Ford Model T Sales Brochure.
Note that it has wooden spoked wheels

image.jpeg.8aaa5285648f8b2a66aa6f92f05dd36c.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know Model T discussions can go on forever. It seems to me that the Ford bodied cars had the headlight bar, the bodies made by Wilson didn't.  But I'm not an expert. 

• Like 1

Based on the limited work accomplished on the carving at the time, 1926-27 is probably accurate.

The original sculptor bailed in 1925 having completed only Lee's head. The second sculptor removed the first's work and again, by 1928, General Lee's head was all that had been completed.

The Memorial outlines are visible but none of the sculpture, so that tells me the sightseers were there in 1926-1927 timeframe in their new Model T touring car.

• Thanks 1

Wow, does that picture bring back memories!  I lived and worked at Stone Mountain Park in the early seventies while in grad school at Emory University.  Every morning I looked out my window at that view. 

They started in 1915 and finally finished the carving in 1972. One of my work responsibilities was to carry sales supplies to the top of the mountain via the Summit Skyride cable car and you could see the carvers doing the finishing touches.

As I recall there was a decent car collection in one of the park buildings until around 2016.

There were three teams that worked on the carving:

Gutzon Borglum 1915 – 1925

Augustus Lukeman 1925 – 1928

Walter Hancock 1963 – 1972

Borglum's original plan included seven figures, and he really didn't get started until 1923. But in 1925 he got mad and went to work on Mount Rushmore. 

Lukeman basically cleaned off the carving area and planned to do three figures. That explains why the folks in the old Ford are looking at just a scratched up rock mountain. But then the money ran out before Lee's figure was finished. 

In 1958 the state of Georgia bought up the land and mountain for a state park. The whole project was reorganized and refunded.

Hancock came in with more modern equipment and finished the carving 

Although locals told me it wasn't truly ever finished.

And BTW, those folks looking at the mountain could have ridden up it at that time. Having ridden up it one time in a four wheel drive truck to deliver supplies in 1972, I decided to stick to the cable car.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Phillip Cole said:

As I recall there was a decent car collection in one of the park buildings until around 2016.

The Stone Mountain Antique Car and Treasure Museum was actioned off in March, 2009.

"The Antique Car Museum at Georgia’s Stone Mountain Park was opened in 1963 by Tommy Protsman and his son Bobby to showcase their private collection of antiques and cars. With nearly four decades of experience under its belt, the museum housed forty antique cars and over 4000 interesting antiques. The museum included such rare cars as a 1948 Tucker and a 1928 Martin. Voted by Car Collector Magazine as one of the top ten car museums with fifty cars or less, the museum was a must see destination for all car lovers and antique connoisseurs.

Why was it that way? Because in December 2008 Bobby Protsman had to close the museum and put the entire contents up for auction. The auction is slated for March 21-22, 2009 with a public viewing on March 20, 2009"

Edited by modela28 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That  photo brings back old memories. I walked to the top of that mountain a couple of times back in the '70s.  I lived in Conyers and worked in Atlanta for a while. We went to that park several times. 

• Like 1

On 1/18/2024 at 8:56 AM, Oldtech said:

I know Model T discussions can go on forever. It seems to me that the Ford bodied cars had the headlight bar, the bodies made by Wilson didn't.  But I'm not an expert. 

Ford was making open bodies. The early 1926, all body types did not have a bar that was added later in 1926. Any headlight bar seen on an early 1926 was aftermarket, not Ford supplied. 

Or retrofitted, to help deaden the headlamp vibrations.

There are actually two '26-'27 headlamp bar designs used by Ford, a solid bar (forged?) and one that was stamped with a U-shaped crossection. I assume the latter was the second design used, as it was probably cheaper to make.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got some disturbing news today. 

Apparently there's a movement afoot in the Georgia legislature to change Stone Mountain Memorial Park's memorial status, with the ultimate goal of blasting the carving off the mountain.

Save this picture. It may soon be one of the few reminders the carving ever existed. 

• Like 1

If I said what I really think about what these pandering demagogues are trying to do I'd probably get banned from the Forums.

Suffice to say that we, as AACA types, have a vested interest in preserving history and should take affront at any attempt to destroy or rewrite it. Learn from it and move on.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, rocketraider said:

Apparently there's a movement afoot in the Georgia legislature to change Stone Mountain Memorial Park's memorial status, with the ultimate goal of blasting the carving off the mountain.

Save this picture. It may soon be one of the few reminders the carving ever existed. 

Didn't ISIS go and do that to some ancient stoneworks in the Middle East?

Edited by JFranklin (see edit history)
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, rocketraider said:

If I said what I really think about what these pandering demagogues are trying to do I'd probably get banned from the Forums.

Suffice to say that we, as AACA types, have a vested interest in preserving history and should take affront at any attempt to destroy or rewrite it. Learn from it and move on.

This forum is one of the few places left in the world that I find any pleasure in spending a bit of time with like-minded intelligent people. So I have mixed feelings about the hard line on NO politics. I certainly understand it. To a point I completely agree with it? But some things in our pathetic world today cross a line and something needs to be said! And this is one of those things.

Frankly, I have been wondering when this was going to happen. The writing has been on the wall for over ten years now. This particular monument hasn't been around long enough to have a historic standing deep enough to survive the current state of affairs. But what comes next? Mount Rushmore? The Washington Monument? The Lincoln Memorial?

If the moderators want to delete my reply? They have my permission. I just hope they do not put me on restriction again. I don't think I could handle it right now.

History MATTERS! And if it doesn't? Neither do our cars, or us.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

None. Something irreplaceable was destroyed simply to prove a point.

I've spent considerable time and money defending monuments the last four years. The people doing the destruction have no tangible history of their own and want to eliminate someone else's. Their hope is eventually the historians will run out of money and give up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guys the second KKK was organised on top of stone Mountain the year before it was purchased to build the confederate memorial There are some pretty strong racist parts to its origins. Just saying there are two sides to the story.

• Like 3

That would be true if we didn't have hundreds of year of suppressing certain history in this country. Even today the battle to not tell the whole story goes on. We need to tell all history not just parts because someone might feel bad. I'm sure this will be pulled but I had to say it. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1