As you age,has your interests in restoring/fixing up your car(s) changed?

Andy J

Perhaps the question should be expanded? Restoring, fixing up, or maintaining?

Growing old with someone or something that we love, is a pleasure. Seeing "her" grow old, accepting that there will be wear and tear is natural.  Maintaining a relationship with someone or something that we love, -often it is just simple things anyway, may involve some work, but it's often not a chore, but just the right thing to do. 

Seeing a safe to drive old car, passing those pretty, over-restored, trailered jewels, will always get a nod and a smile from me!

(I'm not actually a "car guy", - I make models)

On 12/28/2023 at 8:21 AM, edinmass said:

My interests haven't changed.........but now I prefer original and barn find cars over shiny paint. I literaly do NOT care what the car looks like. As a matter of fact, I rather enjoy driving a 60 point car down the road passing the trailer queens that are stuck or stopped that are on tour with me. I find that today the more the car looks like a rolling junk yard, the more people look at it and enguage with me. It also removes the need for white walls and washing/detailing the car. I will admit my interest is tending to shift earlier every year......... for decades I only owned cars of the 30's. Now my two early cars are both 15's. I expect to break into the 190X's soon.

I resemble that remark. 😀

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 12/25/2023 at 9:35 PM, Andy J said:

Roscoe,you sound like me.When younger,all I wanted was souped up modified cars to drag race.I still like to go to the drag races and one day I may find a car that I could build as a gasser. I used to think that the '58 and '59 Chevrolets were the ugliest cars on the road.Today I would love to have either one.

I vision my cars as looking like new,having the factory stance,wheel covers,or anything else that was original to the car when it was new.Two of my cars probably are candidates for the crusher,but I fully intend to bring them back to like new condition.I can't bear the thought of them being any other way. I just won't alter them in any way.I want them to look and be like new. I love the body work,especially fixing rusted out parts with new metal that I have formed with my own hands.It is a challenge and I really enjoy it.This is my next project,a '52 Bel Air.

003.jpg

001.jpg

002.jpg

004.jpg

You sure have 10 Gallons of Ambition in your 5 gallon pail. My 5 gallon pail of ambition is only about half full these days.

• Haha 7

On 12/25/2023 at 3:38 PM, Walt G said:

Interesting to read the views expressed here. I can agree with many of them.  I too got my first car at age 14 - an old car not necessarily wanting to drive immediately, a 1931 Plymouth Pa sedan.

I did want to drive, but the thought about owning a car like I saw on TV - The Untouchables and The Roaring 20s. Was my real attraction. Then the movie Some Like It Hot came out and it was great , because of the cars not Jack Lemon, Tony Curtis or even Marilyn Monroe who were in it .

I loved traditional jazz music, then and still do. I still like to work on my old cars but some serious health issues/surgery that took place 6 years ago have slowed that down - no more heavy lifting. I always loved to ride/drive my cars , with absolutely no interest in awards or trophies of any kind.  SO my interest, desire, enthusiasm will always be there just at a slower pace for "hands on" heavy mechanical work.  Most of my "hands on" work is now focused on the pressed steel toys of the 1920s I restore, not quite as heavy as the full size cars but look like them .

I'm not that old ( just over '60 )yet, but it's already showing signs of wear.

our minds remain young and we still want to do so much.

so we do what we can and think back to times when we could move a world and were never too tired.

a bit like our beloved antique cars, they still want to drive and shine like yesterday's, but it takes more and more effort.

regards.

• Like 3

On 12/28/2023 at 8:21 AM, edinmass said:

My interests haven't changed.........but now I prefer original and barn find cars over shiny paint. I literaly do NOT care what the car looks like. As a matter of fact, I rather enjoy driving a 60 point car down the road passing the trailer queens that are stuck or stopped that are on tour with me. I find that today the more the car looks like a rolling junk yard, the more people look at it and enguage with me. It also removes the need for white walls and washing/detailing the car. I will admit my interest is tending to shift earlier every year......... for decades I only owned cars of the 30's. Now my two early cars are both 15's. I expect to break into the 190X's soon.

Nothing like a real car that doesn't require polish or spit shine.   Only problem is everyone wants to buyi it for $200 and restore it.

Of course that would ruin it.

CoverShot.jpg.411b901fb34d6bc79af1383c48be0a50.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

On 12/28/2023 at 7:21 AM, edinmass said:

Agreed 100%.   The “upper crust concours trailer queens” of the classic car hobby are certainly beautiful to look at but have in some cases generated a snobbish country club atmosphere among those who own them.  People who drive their cars are generally much better.  I particularly like shabby original pre war classic cars made to run reliably and the people who drive them.  These cars generate tons of interest from both knowledgeable collectors and those who know nothing about them.

• Like 6

I guess for me it isn’t so much interests changing as it is my fat body changing things for me. I am 73 which doesn’t sound really old today I guess but somewhat crappy genetics(osteoarthritis)and 50 years spent picking up and putting down heavy things as fast as possible 10-12 hours a day and up to 7 days a week year in year out have finally caused me to slow down on heavy work. I try to do regular maintenance(except my 2016 Traverse, too complicated for me)on my cars but things that involve heavy work especially over my head while laying on the ground is just not gonna happen.  I enjoy driving them still but unless the future brings successful interactions with an Orthopedist I am kind of stuck.

• Like 3

I too started at the age of 14 following my father restoring cars. Too many to count or remember. I have brass era cars as my favorite era. I know the work and effort required to restore a quality project. 

The 1915 Packard twin six Limo I restored took 1st place at the 100th anniversary of Packard in Warren Ohio. This car took 2 years to restore, 1 year to do all the mechanicals, body work, upholstery, fit work. 1 year to outfit and put the final touches on the car .

At 80 now I no longer do complete restorations, too much work and too expensive. I prefer to purchase a 'restored' car knowing full well the most misused word in the American language is "restored". Buying a restored collector car is in short buying a project. I understand it will need work, correct parts, adjustments and additional work. This is much easier than a complete frame off nut and bolt project however.

I recently purchased several cars, a fully professionally restored 1906 Reo, restored by Don Bolton and Ted Oney in Oklahoma City, A 100 point restoration that needs no work. The price was based on the quality of the restoration and the fact it was a total original and very complete car to start with. The second car is a 1929 Cadillac dual cowl phaeton all original with very low millage and a service log of all work and repairs done over the last 50 years. No work required except to put gas in it and drive. Not cheap but instant gratification, The third car is a 1941 Cadillac 4 door convertible sedan. This is a restored car, by the nephew of the original purchaser. He it turned out to be a Cadillac Factory exec. It was an incredible purchase from BAT, but I did my leg work before purchase. A low millage 45,000 original car always stored for the winter only in the summer. My latest(last?) purchase is a old restoration, 1915 model t roadster powered by a Gallivan dual overhead cam racing engine. Just change the oil drain the old gas add a battery and we were driving the car in a couple of days.

At 80 I need instant gratification, who knows how much time I have to enjoy my collection, and don't want to take the time to do a restoration. 

I dig up a few tomato cans in the back yard peel off the bills and buy ready to go cars, in the long run its much quicker and cheaper and a lot more fun.

just sayin'

brasscarguy 

• Like 6

• 3 months later...
On 12/30/2023 at 12:55 PM, plymouthcranbrook said:

I guess for me it isn’t so much interests changing as it is my fat body changing things for me. I am 73 which doesn’t sound really old today I guess but somewhat crappy genetics(osteoarthritis)and 50 years spent picking up and putting down heavy things as fast as possible 10-12 hours a day and up to 7 days a week year in year out have finally caused me to slow down on heavy work. I try to do regular maintenance(except my 2016 Traverse, too complicated for me)on my cars but things that involve heavy work especially over my head while laying on the ground is just not gonna happen.  I enjoy driving them still but unless the future brings successful interactions with an Orthopedist I am kind of stuck.

Plmouthcranbrook, I hear ya, I'm 72 and have all I need except for my late love Margie and some pain medication. A lift would be nice also!

o

oo

Edited by Gronk
personal (see edit history)
  • Like 2

On 12/25/2023 at 4:18 PM, 60FlatTop said:

There was a black '76-'78 Mercury under the lights shining and looking pretty sharp. My Dad and I always liked those Steve McGarrett Mercs. This was newer hut caught my eye. While admiring the car I got to thinking how much I liked a sharp well maintained 10-15 year old sharp colored car.

I can relate.  I just sold my 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE (pretty rare model) to a New Yorker, that must have some of your ideas.  I owned and pampered that car for 20 years.  Bought in '03 and sold it last summer to the NYC guy.  Meanwhile, because I really liked that car a lot, I bought this '69 Marquis in 2019.  It was in excellent condition cosmetically, but needed some bugs worked out of it.  I'm a big guy, so will always need to have a big car!  I'm willing to deal with a certain amount of work, just so I can drive the car while doing it. 🙂

• Like 1

Last January I did the same thing I have been doing since I was 29 years old, bought a clean 15-20 year old car that I can age with. The previous owner had this '05 since '09. My "restoration" entailed a new leather driver seat bottom and replacing a door check stop. One elusive piece of weatherstrip and it's showroom. Nothing has changed much for me, but I do know that all the old cars were new once.

I won't be seeing that Merc, my part of New York is 370 miles from the city of the same name.

IMG_0151(1).JPG.bd0228ec0276e80051394bcb7d8fd307.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Last January I did the same thing I have been doing since I was 29 years old, bought a clean 15-20 year old car that I can age with. The previous owner had this '05 since '09. My "restoration" entailed a new leather driver seat bottom and replacing a door check stop. One elusive piece of weatherstrip and it's showroom. Nothing has changed much for me, but I do know that all the old cars were new once.

I won't be seeing that Merc, my part of New York is 370 miles from the city of the same name.

IMG_0151(1).JPG.bd0228ec0276e80051394bcb7d8fd307.JPG

CTS-V? Because if it is, I am jealous. I've wanted one since I found out about them....If I ever find a good, unmolested version when I have funds, I'll snap it up.

1 hour ago, Roscoe said:

CTS-V?

This one is an STS V8. Normally aspirated and a little longer in the wheelbase. 320 HP from the last and most durable modification of the Northstar. The EGX on the forward rocker ground effects is part of a period appearance package with a grille similar to the V series, about a $5,000 extra installed.

It is on GM's Sigma platform that proved too expensive and not GM "extensible" which shifted to the Camaro platform for the Cadillac line in 2013.

About 4 years ago I had looked at the CTS coupes and though the crisp lines would go well next to the '64 Riviera I bought when it was 16 years old to keep in line with my habit.

23 hours ago, Roscoe said:

CTS-V? Because if it is, I am jealous. I've wanted one since I found out about them....If I ever find a good, unmolested

Good luck with your search.  Not easy to find.  Most of these were driven hard and put away wet!  There are some pampered garage queens out there.  I had a 2004 from new.  Daily driver and HPDE weekend car.  Even met and had a track ride with Andy Pilgram in his race prepped CTS-V.  After 13 years and 180k miles, the unibody rusted through at the "horns of the fake frame rails".  CTS-Vs are amazingly fun cars.  Cadillac was on the right track.  Too bad they gave up on the idea of a sporty/sports car. Typical short sightedness of GM. Seems they only want to (or can profitably) build SUV's and trucks.

Robert

I just finished up re-shimming up all of the rods today on my 1913 Buick touring.  After driving it between 7,000-10,000 miles since I purchased it I could start to hear some rod noise. Nothing bad, but not did not sound right. One did not need any shim adjustment, on another only one shim removal, and the other two kept me busy for some time trying to get it "just right".  But that is now done and the pan back on the car.  One more step towards summer touring season. 

Now to change the head gasket on the Model T.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 2

guys i might be missing the point but i told my wife at 70 i was done with cars but now at 73 my grandson wants to build one so we will search all adds and buy one but it will be stock so he can see the adventure of looking for parts going to see them and talk to every one in the old car club....don' know if the engine will be stock or not but to spend time with him and the younger generation and pass on knowledge is to me my final act to preserve this great hobby 

• Like 5

I started out with a 65 mustang fastback, went through a lot of mopars, bought a 08 shelby GT, then anything that went fast quickly. Then I got an idea that I wanted a classic phaeton, way different than anything else. Having a lot of fun with it, met some neat people, learning a lot of things. At 70 just hope I can finish the project!

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

40 years ago after first competing in the Great American Race, finding 1935 Ford Steering box, the discussion changed.

My friend said "in the old days everybody switched their early Ford steering out for the 35 Steering box for track roadsters".

Then we found a failed T-Bucket project and bought the chassis and body and built our "STROKER" Track Roadster.    Lots

of welding and Ford V8 Parts with full house flathead engine and we were ready for the track.    It won the Fan Participation

Race at Sunshine Speedway, our local oval track. then it's class at the Desoto Drag Strip in Bradenton FL.   It was a fun car

to build and drive, but it found a new home when taken to the Daytona Speedway for the Turkey Rod Run, never to be seen

again.

Sorry, I failed to figure out how to rotate the picture

IMG_0353[1].JPG

• Like 1

On 4/5/2024 at 11:38 PM, steven 123 said:

guys i might be missing the point but i told my wife at 70 i was done with cars but now at 73 my grandson wants to build one so we will search all adds and buy one but it will be stock so he can see the adventure of looking for parts going to see them and talk to every one in the old car club....don' know if the engine will be stock or not but to spend time with him and the younger generation and pass on knowledge is to me my final act to preserve this great hobby 

I thought I was done back in 2011 at age 61 when I sold my classic car because I had to get ready for retirement etc.  Then in 2019 at age 69, a year before I sold my business, I bought this '69 Mercury.  5 yrs. later, I have the old girl whipped back into shape for safe dependable driving.  In fact after the original owner that kept the car till the day he died in 2010, I have owned the car the longest!  The 3 middle owners did some work, but could not understand how to fix the brakes.  The first owner switched the brake fluid to DOT 5, and replaced the whole brake system then too, back in '95.  But although all of his paperwork from day one accompanied the car from owner to owner, no one understood the importance of that switch so kept trying to fix the brakes with DOT 3!.  When I got the car, I saw what he had done in his paperwork, and had my mechanic completely replace the brake system and revert back to DOT 3.  Because of that problem, the car rarely was driven, and was suffering from general neglect by the time I got it. In fact just a couple of months ago, I got the final piece of the brake system fixed (the dash warning light).  So now beside the general repairs and upgrades, it is fully functional, brake wise again! The car has always looked good (the original owner repainted the car, and redid the engine gaskets back in '95 too.)  All I had to do was maintain those looks, and I even found improvements too.  E.G. the grille STILL had factory overspray on it, keeping it from looking right.  That cleaned off with a little lacquer cleaner. The first pic is the original owner (from Windsor Ontario) showing his car at the "Eyes on Design" invitational show in 1999.  The second pic shows the front grille cleaned up 25 yrs. later.

1999carShowC.JPG

OLG1.jpg

• Like 3

I'm going to give a bit of a cop-out answer on this one but please indulge me for a moment. My interests haven't changed (i.e. connecting with history, saving the past, remembering friends and family), but how that is expressed via automobiles has changed. When I was young I was all about sports cars and racing history(I owned Datsun Z cars and my dad had, among other things, Triumphs). Then I got older and taller (6'5" doesn't work well in most sports cars), so I prioritized bigger cars. That's about the time my dad passed away and I finished the restoration on his last project, a 1973 Plymouth Satellite. That had history and family connections and it was certainly cathartic to work on shortly after his untimely passing (he was 57).

After that happened, I realized that going fast and looking "cool" didn't really matter to me. My interests in history and preservation have led me down the Pre-War car route for the last 15 years or so and I don't see that changing anytime soon. My eight year old daughter is obsessed with Model T rides and with my '39 Packard and '28 Pontiac and is already making plans for when she gets all of my cars. 

I feel satisfied with my current fleet, especially once I finish the 1940 Packard 180 that I got from my dear friend Dr. Charles Blackman before he passed away. That's a special, sentimental car to me and I know that I will have tears in my eyes when I drive it the first time. I would like to eventually add a 1942 Chevrolet Special Deluxe coupe, as my grandfather had one, but I'm in no rush. The 180 is the priority right now.

So, as I said, my interests haven't changed but how they express themselves certainly has. Does that make sense? 

• Thanks 2

I painted my first car in 1956, a 41 Merc  convertable, with an Electrolux vacuum cleaner. My last one a 1956 Chrysler about 10 years ago with my trusty Binks #7. I still have 5 of my 6 completed restorations. They have devolved into very pretty pains in the ass. Housing, exercising, cleaning, tires, batteries, insurance etc etc etc . I wish all but one would go away.

There! ......I've said it..........Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

My interest hasn't changed - love pre WWII the best but now have a much better appreciation for post war although I don't own any ( yet). what has changed is my ability to work on them , all changed with open heart surgery 5 years ago. Lots of "don't/can't  do dat" from the cardiologist and my son who lives with me who reminds me to " don't do anything stupid while I am at work , I don't want to arrive home and find you pinned under a wheel ( 20 inch from my 1930 Packard) or the early brass radiator core and shell from a Locomobile."  SO I behave, frustrated but alive and vertical. 😲

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My good friend and I just had our regular Tuesday morning coffee in my garage. Among other things we discussed the "barn find" LaSalle in the recent Hemmings Classic Car.

It is a monumental task and expensive project to take on. I asked "How many similar projects have you seen come through here?" Then I pointed at my Riviera. "Ten years on that paint job so far." Who says they have to be completed? I enjoy them in my own way. Those major projects I kept for 3-5 years, worked on, and learned the intricacies of, I sold them. Didn't make a lot and usually made more on the worst ones.

I am lucky on the health thing. Third generation of Atlantic islander in the US, origins in Ireland. Stroke and heart attack in '12. Five bypasses including "The Widowmaker". I am now in better shape that 30 years ago. I had a checkup with my doctor a week ago and told him I didn't expect much from him. His job is to verify "I" have been doing the right things. He says attitude has a lot to do with it.

My problem as well as my coffee friend's is space. I would have two more projects in the back if I had the room. The biggest problem I have is that the collector car insurance is so cheap there is no deterrent  to buying another car or two.

• Like 1