Excited to be a volunteer driver at Mecum Kissimmee

victorialynn2

Some local friends put me in touch with the company that schedules drivers for this auction. It’s billed as the largest car auction in the world. After watching it on TV for many years, I’m excited to get a behind the scenes view this year. 

Has anyone done this and if so, what was your experience like? I don’t really know what to expect, but I imagine it would be a whole lot of fun. 

Edited by victorialynn2
Typos (see edit history)
  • Like 15

• victorialynn2 changed the title to Excited to be a volunteer driver at Mecum Kissimmee

Victoria………expect to be near and smelling like exhaust fumes……..of course you may end up in a place where cars are not running. Personally after fifty years of car auctions……..I never go near them unless absolutely necessary.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Im excited for you, but not sure I would say with you. Sounds like work to me, not that I am afraid of work. I have been to more motorcycle auctions than I can count, maybe 2 car auctions. Even as a bidder it is hectic and nerve wracking. Standing in the line to get a titled transferred after a completed sale or waiting to register a car or get a number always seems akin to going to a dentist that has an office at the dmv. I have never been to one on the scale of Mecum Kissimee, I can only imagine. Honestly jockeying 15 or 20 cars around (or how many each person will be handling) doesnt appeal all that much to me, especially for a t shirt and a coke or whatever the compensation will be. Not trying to sound greedy but spending a day or two working for a company that is making millions, selling cars to people that will be dropping 6 figures without a second thought, and doing so voluntarily to keep 'their' machine oiled doesnt sound like how I want to spend a long weekend. 

After my old man curmudgeonly diatribe, I do hope you have fun doing so.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TAKerry said:

...but spending a day or two working for a company that is making millions, selling cars to people that will be dropping 6 figures without a second thought, and doing so voluntarily to keep 'their' machine oiled...

Like "summer interns", it is amazing how our corporate system takes advantage (read uses for free work) of the lowest level workers.  Hopefully Victoria will have some fun doing this. Obviously, if it is not fun or interesting she won't be back.  One and done.  Clearly these are not full time jobs or a career path to something better.  I expect they churn through these volunteers as the "fun' wears off and a new crop of volunteers are needed.

Robert

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Dr B said:

That does sound like fun. I hope you have a good time. What type of driving will you be doing as a volunteer? Is it only the "hired" drivers who are seen on TV? 

Robert

I believe only the hired ones drive onstage. This first year I will be paired with someone experienced. I will learn more at the driver’s meeting in a couple weeks. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, edinmass said:

Victoria………expect to be near and smelling like exhaust fumes……..of course you may end up in a place where cars are not running. Personally after fifty years of car auctions……..I never go near them unless absolutely necessary.

You mean like how I grew up with my dad in his garage, how I smelt anfter working on his cars in TX and how I smell when I start up the 57? Actually it’s much better since I had the 57 carb rebuilt. 

I used to date mechanics, that smell and the smell of oil was an aphrodisiac. 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Im excited for you, but not sure I would say with you. Sounds like work to me, not that I am afraid of work. I have been to more motorcycle auctions than I can count, maybe 2 car auctions. Even as a bidder it is hectic and nerve wracking. Standing in the line to get a titled transferred after a completed sale or waiting to register a car or get a number always seems akin to going to a dentist that has an office at the dmv. I have never been to one on the scale of Mecum Kissimee, I can only imagine. Honestly jockeying 15 or 20 cars around (or how many each person will be handling) doesnt appeal all that much to me, especially for a t shirt and a coke or whatever the compensation will be. Not trying to sound greedy but spending a day or two working for a company that is making millions, selling cars to people that will be dropping 6 figures without a second thought, and doing so voluntarily to keep 'their' machine oiled doesnt sound like how I want to spend a long weekend. 

After my old man curmudgeonly diatribe, I do hope you have fun doing so.

Sounds similar to my childhood and several times in my life when I hung around friends with garages of cars.

I have done a lot of volunteer work at golf tournaments and various other functions. I think I will enjoy this. Even if I was paid, the amount they pay would not be enough to sway me. I would be doing this purely for the experience and to meet people. Beats sitting at home working on my computer. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, victorialynn2 said:

You mean like how I grew up with my dad in his garage, how I smelt anfter working on his cars in TX and how I smell when I start up the 57? Actually it’s much better since I had the 57 carb rebuilt. 

I used to date mechanics, that smell and the smell of oil was an aphrodisiac. 😂

You will meet a lot of fun people and have great conversations. You'll have a lot of fun!!! Enjoy!!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

victorialynn2, This sounds like a lot of fun !  I'm jealous, lol. One of our friends did a B/J auction as a volunteer earlier this year, had a ball, made new friends, got lots of freebies, got invited back, and later, even ended up getting a neat car from someone he'd met there !  I'm bettin' you'll have a lot of fun, please post some more about it when you can.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, John Byrd said:

victorialynn2, This sounds like a lot of fun !  I'm jealous, lol. One of our friends did a B/J auction as a volunteer earlier this year, had a ball, made new friends, got lots of freebies, got invited back, and later, even ended up getting a neat car from someone he'd met there !  I'm bettin' you'll have a lot of fun, please post some more about it when you can.

I will. I’m pretty sure I read I can’t use my phone while there but I certainly will report back. I know it will be fun. They let me pick my shifts and how many. I’m new to the area and it gives me something besides work to do. I also volunteered to sell donuts at a local car show in January after the organizer asked me too. The car people I’ve met here, in TX, OR, & FL have mostly been super nice people. I will enjoy the process. 

• Like 8

7 hours ago, edinmass said:

Me Too !!

I did volunteer driving onto the auction block for Kruse auctions some 40 years ago, and more recently over a period of several years for RM Auctions America at their Hershey auctions at Hershey Lodge. 

While driving all era of Classics and collectibles, they knew us was well experienced and dependable with the earliest and Brass-Era models (even an extremely early Buick with 4 floor pedals), as well as Full Classics.

I hope you enjoy the experience and build good memories. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/16/2023 at 4:40 PM, victorialynn2 said:

Some local friends put me in touch with the company that schedules drivers for this auction. It’s billed as the largest car auction in the world. After watching it on TV for many years, I’m excited to get a behind the scenes view this year. 

Has anyone done this and if so, what was your experience like? I don’t really know what to expect, but I imagine it would be a whole lot of fun. 

It would be great if you could take pictures from a driver's point of view.

A good friend of mine and fellow AACA member has been a driver at Kissimmee Auction for years. He gets to drive them up on the stage. When I was down in Florida during the event, I would visit on the two days he was a driver. He did say there were long days with a lot of walking. I don't recall if they provide food vouchers for the drivers, keep in mind the food is convention center/stadium pricing, The lines are long selection limited and it's pricy. So you might want to bring something in with you, if you can, if that is not for you. 

Enjoy, it should be a great experience, my friend always said it gave him a chance to drive cars he never would have had an opportunity to so.  Unfortunately, I won't be able to get to the Sunshine State until February this year, so I am going to end up missing it.

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

So on Christmas Eve, I was lowering a full size ham (35+ lbs), into the oven and I pulled a muscle in my back. Wound up in ER for the pain and am nursing it back to health.

Unfortunately, I had to opt out of Mecum for this year since I can’t sit or stand for long periods and it will take a few weeks for this to heal. Well, there’s always next year. 

I hope y’all had a great Christmas and a Happy New Year to you! Despite my trip to ER, I did enjoy watching my granddaughter unwrap her presents and spending time with family. 

Sorry to hear about your injury and not being able to participate in the auction.

I've had some minor back issues for years and the condition never gets any better, really.

It just gets more manageable. 

Hela up properly or you'll be back to square one in no time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Sorry to hear that. I know you were excited about the event. I have suffered with back pain/problems for years I know that isnt fun. Sometimes its just the way I turn that will throw mine out.

Same here, this isn’t the first time for me either. They did leave the door open for next year, so I’m looking forward to that. 

• Like 5

On 12/29/2023 at 8:46 AM, victorialynn2 said:

So on Christmas Eve, I was lowering a full size ham (35+ lbs), into the oven and I pulled a muscle in my back. Wound up in ER for the pain and am nursing it back to health.

Unfortunately, I had to opt out of Mecum for this year since I can’t sit or stand for long periods and it will take a few weeks for this to heal. Well, there’s always next year. 

I hope y’all had a great Christmas and a Happy New Year to you! Despite my trip to ER, I did enjoy watching my granddaughter unwrap her presents and spending time with family. 

Sorry for your injury, and hope you meny quickly and fully. I know these types are a real "pain in the back".

Hopefully you'll get to participate another time, but for now just concentrate on family and healing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JACK M said:

So. How was the ham?

☠️

It was good, but not worth the trip to ER. 😆My son ordered it from some famous place. He was going to put it in the oven but got sidetracked and I thought I’d “help”. 🙄

We have a three year supply of leftovers in the freezer because “a whole one wasn’t much more expensive than a half”. 🤷‍♀️

Edited by victorialynn2
Typo (see edit history)
  • Like 2